Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

What would you suggest they've done?

I don't know. Something less upsetting, I guess.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

He wasn't out of place before they introduced more than 1 character at a time...so we can avoid that line of thinking.

The first game to introduce more than one character was Sonic 1.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Eggman is not out of place.

We just don't have to know his origin.

We don't have to know Sonic's origin or how he got his speed.

Nor how Amy got her hammer, nor why Tails was born with two tails.

We just have to know that they're very cool, kick butt and destroy robots!

Asking all these useless questions got us into the two-worlds trouble in the first place.

"Turn off your brain and stop asking questions. Just blindly accept everything at face value. It's a series about a blue hedgehog, it doesn't have to make sense!"

Yeah, no. People like you are the reason nobody likes this fandom.

Just now, Korke said:

Another little disappointment. So, the comic is not canon but it seems like Flynn will have to embrace some of Iizuka's made up stupidities regardless. What's next, the damaged moon excuse?

I guess we can forget about seeing female or non-hedgehog Super forms too.

Ian Flynn said that we don't have to know Sonic's origin of his speed to enjoy the series !!

It's the way it is.

HOWEVER, I'd enjoy origin stories and deep lore for new characters in the IDW comic.

Just now, Splash the Otter said:

I don't know. Something less upsetting, I guess.

The first game to introduce more than one character was Sonic 1.

"Turn off your brain and stop asking questions. Just blindly accept everything at face value. It's a series about a blue hedgehog, it doesn't have to make sense!"

Yeah, no. People like you are the reason nobody likes this fandom.

I guess we can forget about seeing female or non-hedgehog Super forms too.

Well then, you can't blame the writers for having to resort to retconning the universe, especially given the tight situation they were in..

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that I've spent a while thinking about it, I'm actually pretty confident that we won't ever see any proof of the two-worlds concept in the comics, and that they'll continue to tacitly ignore it.  My reasoning is as follows:

1. Two-worlds is clearly not meant to be that big a deal.  Neither the games nor even the most recent Archie comics ever acknowledged or even hinted at it, to the extent that canon has frequently contradicted it in all but name; as such, it probably is just intended to be some kind of guideline, a technical excuse to differentiate different kinds of setting.  In other words, it's not actually meant to be a visible solution; it's a way of avoiding presenting an explanation for the way the setting works.
  2. Sega's policy on canon-compliance.  It seems that Sonic Team don't want the comics to present anything which has the remotest possibility of contradicting future canon; for example, as I understand it some of the later Archie comics were forbidden from showing Eggman Nega on the grounds that Sonic Team hadn't decided what they wanted to do with him?  (What they've actually ended up doing with him for the last ten years is nothing, unless you count sports spin-offs.)  So that strongly suggests that anything Sonic Team thinks they might possibly use differently in the future is out of bounds for introduction or development.  Explicitly showing how the two-worlds situation works would be a gigantic example of a major canon detail the games haven't touched; as such, it's highly unlikely that the comics would be allowed to show it before the games (which never will).  Of course, this is the same reason why the comics will never be allowed to introduce any new Super forms (unless you pretend they're something technically different), and so on.

As ever, the simplest thing of all would be to scrap this policy for good, when you might as well replace it with something softer like "two lands" or "two continents," but to be honest Sonic Team's opinions on canon aren't worth the pixels to display them, so the best we can hope for is the ability to work around it.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

18 minutes ago, Korke said:

Another little disappointment. So, the comic is not canon but it seems like Flynn will have to embrace some of Iizuka's made up stupidities regardless. What's next, the damaged moon excuse?

I was a little disappointed too, but I realized it's something not worth getting upset over.

• Fist Bump 1

Why not retcon the human world altogether and keep the animal world? (except for Shadow and his alien origin).

Like they did for Super Emeralds and Super Forms for Tails and Knuckles.

Like the events happened, but for the purposes of the new story it's retconned.

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Well then, you can't blame the writers for having to resort to retconning the universe, especially given the tight situation they were in..

They could have made it an actual reboot though and started from the beginning with a new canon. That way I would have been able to believe there's a universe out there where the pre-SG characters are alive and well.

Just now, Splash the Otter said:

They could have made it an actual reboot though and started from the beginning with a new canon. That way I would have been able to believe there's a universe out there where the pre-SG characters are alive and well.

While I see what you mean, wouldn't people have been "Wait, what is this? What happened to Mobius?"?

I say the best option would be saying that humans exist, but just like Archie Comics, use them very rarely, only when needed.

Throwing them away is just denying any story potential they give. After all, did any story written by Flynn  that had human was automatically bad? Of course not, they writing tools.

Majority of fandom prefers mobians so it's logical to use mobians majority of time. But there are those 3% of stories where humans might be useful.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

38 minutes ago, Korke said:

Well, actually, they already did it : in several arcs in reboot era, we could see a complete moon on Mobius, but in space a damaged one.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

You think Iizuka was serious when he said that in the interview? He was just forced to come up with an excuse at that moment. Each game is developed differently, not all the games have to be in station square, and not all the games have to be in green hill.

He wasn't forced, he can say whatever he wants when he wants.. I don't think he's as stressed about the canon as fans are. 

The idea that he's been a part of Sonic Team for so long but doesn't know the most basic stuff about Sonic canon and randomly added it in because of a random interview because didn't know what to say is silly. 

This was a concious decision.

43 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Why not retcon the human world altogether and keep the animal world? (except for Shadow and his alien origin).

Like they did for Super Emeralds and Super Forms for Tails and Knuckles.

Like the events happened, but for the purposes of the new story it's retconned.

Because of Shadow and his alien origin.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But was Gerald and Maria and GUN addressed in Eclipse's arc?

Yes. Yes that were.6132a6534a491a88b42a34f62ad6d7c7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

Now that I've spent a while thinking about it, I'm actually pretty confident that we won't ever see any proof of the two-worlds concept in the comics, and that they'll continue to tacitly ignore it.  My reasoning is as follows:

1. Two-worlds is clearly not meant to be that big a deal.  Neither the games nor even the most recent Archie comics ever acknowledged or even hinted at it, to the extent that canon has frequently contradicted it in all but name; as such, it probably is just intended to be some kind of guideline, a technical excuse to differentiate different kinds of setting.  In other words, it's not actually meant to be a visible solution; it's a way of avoiding presenting an explanation for the way the setting works.
  2. Sega's policy on canon-compliance.  It seems that Sonic Team don't want the comics to present anything which has the remotest possibility of contradicting future canon; for example, as I understand it some of the later Archie comics were forbidden from showing Eggman Nega on the grounds that Sonic Team hadn't decided what they wanted to do with him?  (What they've actually ended up doing with him for the last ten years is nothing, unless you count sports spin-offs.)  So that strongly suggests that anything Sonic Team thinks they might possibly use differently in the future is out of bounds for introduction or development.  Explicitly showing how the two-worlds situation works would be a gigantic example of a major canon detail the games haven't touched; as such, it's highly unlikely that the comics would be allowed to show it before the games (which never will).  Of course, this is the same reason why the comics will never be allowed to introduce any new Super forms (unless you pretend they're something technically different), and so on.

As ever, the simplest thing of all would be to scrap this policy for good, when you might as well replace it with something softer like "two lands" or "two continents," but to be honest Sonic Team's opinions on canon aren't worth the pixels to display them, so the best we can hope for is the ability to work around it.

I sure hope so!

I hope the series doesn't treat sonic like the end all be all again. Yes he is the main hero but the rest of the cast are heroes in their own right as well.

I'd like to see Infinite return and I really hope we get more villains like Thunderbolt. I'd also like to see th characters fit in a bit better. Post reboot wasn't too bad nut pre reboot, the game cast didn't always look like they belonged. The Dingo army and the Felidae, the Wolfpack. Many just didn't have the continuity of appearance. I hope that is fixed. TBH, even Tangle looks like she is from a different series from the pics I've seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I say the best option would be saying that humans exist, but just like Archie Comics, use them very rarely, only when needed.

Throwing them away is just denying any story potential they give. After all, did any story written by Flynn  that had human was automatically bad? Of course not, they writing tools.

Majority of fandom prefers mobians so it's logical to use mobians majority of time. But there are those 3% of stories where humans might be useful.

Exactly, they were there to make the world feel lived-in, and if worst comes to worse and the two-world canon prevails, I would hope that there are both mobians and humans on both worlds and that maybe the planets are right beside each other so we could have the argument that there's interplanetary travel going on (space adventure's anyone). Maybe they both share chaotic energy because Angel Island teleports between the two.

There, that solves the segregation problem.

Spoiler

I sure hope Ian doesn't see this because it's probably the only explanation that works well for me and I want to seriously see this in the comics.

Just now, Mountaindewandsprite said:

So basically, the IDW comics are free to do their own thing?

As long as they stick to SEGA's guidelines.

7 minutes ago, JC_Mike said:

Exactly, they were there to make the world feel lived-in, and if worst comes to worse and the two-world canon prevails, I would hope that there are both mobians and humans on both worlds and that maybe the planets are right beside each other so we could have the argument that there's interplanetary travel going on (space adventure's anyone). Maybe they both share chaotic energy because Angel Island teleports between the two.

There, that solves the segregation problem.

Hide contents

I sure hope Ian doesn't see this because it's probably the only explanation that works well for me and I want to seriously see this in the comics.

Well.. if you don't want him to see it you spoilered the wrong thing

Sonic appears in issues 6 through 200. There! Now if Ian sees this, Sonic can't appear because those issues haven't technically been confirmed yet

• Nice Smile 1

The "can't see fan ideas" thing only applies if the idea is something you could feasibly prove was a specific enough idea to have possibly been nabbed. Sonic appearing in some capacity isn't that. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Just now, Korke said:

This would make me worry less if this happens the stories Iizuka was in change of was more exciting then the comics.

35 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

This would make me worry less if this happens the stories Iizuka was in change of was more exciting then the comics.

I wouldn't really call Forces' story "exciting,"  but that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

I wouldn't really call Forces' story "exciting,"  but that's just me.

Iizuka has been in change of more stories then just Forces and there easer to understand then the comics stories.

9 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Iizuka has been in change of more stories then just Forces and there easer to understand then the comics stories.

They may be more cohesive, but that's because games don't focus on story. Comics, however, do. You got to read a lot of issues to understand the comic, but that's because IT'S A FUCKING COMIC. Y'know, where the story is ongoing until it either ends on the creator's own terms, or it's cancelled. Yes, the games are easier to understand, but they are supposed to be more simple while comics are more complex.

Also, comics do have most of the interesting stories. Even if they were from the most awful era, at least they were interesting in some capacity.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

They may be more cohesive, but that's because games don't focus on story. Comics, however, do. You got to read a lot of issues to understand the comic, but that's because IT'S A FUCKING COMIC. Y'know, where the story is ongoing until it either ends on the creator's own terms, or it's cancelled. Yes, the games are easier to understand, but they are supposed to be more simple while comics are more complex.

Also, comics do have most of the interesting stories. Even if they were from the most awful era, at least they were interesting in some capacity.

Well, if something is base on the story of the game that I'm playing I expect it to be easier to understand as there is less stopping them from telling the story but it feels like the comics are just telling me how Sonic and friends should act and not focusing on telling a good story. If the merchandise is to hard to understand it can find its self having a hard time selling. 

I think it's getting a bit heated in here, so I'm gonna step in.

48 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

For what it's worth, I think it's completely reasonable to be overwhelmed by long-running ongoing comics. Pre-reboot Archie probably turned away a lot of people even when the quality jumped up with Ian's arrival, simply because of how much was going on. I say this as someone who jumped in around #140 or so and was absolutely confused as hell but super into it because 1) I was like 10 and this was Sonic the Hedgehog and 2) to this day I'm the type of person to just roll with things (I have a high suspension of disbelief I guess) and at worst I'll look up a fan wiki if I have to. But not everyone's gonna be like that, y'know?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1