Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

So, do you guys think it's possible to make the two-worlds concept work?

Yes, given time, though, focus and many other things Sega will never do.

The biggest crime of this concept is that someone threw it somewhere, not going into details, not explaining anything and just making more confusion. It's like healing a wound with bandage made out of poison ivy.

• Thumbs Up 4

17 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Sure if you rewrite ... a bunch of games. 

Also shadow the hedgehogs's backstory

Sure

Will sega do that? The latter , maybe in some reboot someday. The former? OH hell no

To be fair, the writers could add in that Gerald accidentally up in Sonic's world and managed to collect DNA samples from some Mobains before arriving back on earth.

10 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yes, given time, though, focus and many other things Sega will never do.

The biggest crime of this concept is that someone threw it somewhere, not going into details, not explaining anything and just making more confusion. It's like healing a wound with bandage made out of poison ivy.

Maybe this time they can change the stories if past games to make it clear that the animal and human worlds are separate.

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

To be fair, the writers could add in that Gerald accidentally up in Sonic's world and managed to collect DNA samples from some Mobains before arriving back on earth.

I have no proof of this, so don't take this as some secret insider taking info bombs

But I gotta feeling , when push comes to shove and shadow needs to be rebooted, the black arms part and the tragic indecent part is staying

Also your explanation isn't the problem, I mean its a problem, but it isn't the problem. The problem is, why is shadow in sonic's world at all. He promised to protect earth, that's it. Not sonic land, not space. Earth, for maria, that place he has a connection to, now that's a different place. His entire character motivation and character background are now litterally worlds apart from his actual character

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Are you referring to both the preboot and reboot comics or just one?

Both.

I mean, pre-reboot was way worse, don't get me wrong. It might as well have been two worlds there for all the good it did, especially with the added mutual xenophobia that was never present in the games. 

Post-reboot did have mixed populations, but most of the time it was more just visual than anything that affected the story. The way it was done in Wings of Fire and Face of the Enemy was barely different to how Unleashed handled having the animals as special compared to the humans, and the best implementation of the concept on more than a visual level was Sonic-Man and Segata Sanshiro being as much part of the entertainment as Jane or Sonic in Champions. 

Seriously, for example, it would have been awesome to have Yasmine more involved in the Desert Raiders' activities. Maybe not as a full-blown member, but maybe enthusiastic enough to express interest in supporting them directly and posing an extra risk to their cover. I dunno if Ian had plans like that (even if not that specifically) but still.

News just in: Ian has said on today's Bumblekast that the IDW comic will have the two-worlds canon.

Man, that made the last two days...sort of irrelevant. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2
  • Way Past Cool 4

Here's the thing @RedFox99

You could write interesting stories spawned from that. You could write a story maybe suggesting shadow had a parent, as shadow tries to track down where the hedgehog part of his genealogy came from because he discovered some secret GUN file. Shadow could be trapped in hedgehog land because the portal between normal earth is closed . and he could feeling some sort of weird existential dread about not being able to go back there , and you write a story about him leaning to move on. Understanding about its not what maria wanted him to do, its what he wanted to do.

But they aren't going to do that, sega has shown time and again, even with sonic boom a completely non canon non connected thing, to want their main characters backstories to be.. ambiguous. Now that doesn't knock off hypothetical story idea two, but that brings us to the other issue of sonic team being committal and non committal about really weird shit. So earth will still exist, but shadow will just not be there...even though he promised to protect it all the time because of that friend he watched die. You know ... the entire motivation for his all things

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

News just in: Ian has said on today's Bumblekast that the IDW comic will have the two-worlds canon.

Well, that's good. I can't wait to see what they don't do with it. Maybe it'll have an actual impact on the story, something interesting can be done with that.

15 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Please tell me that was a mandate or something along that line.

Doesn’t seem like something he’d do otherwise.

• Nice Smile 1

Sigh.  At least they'll be building it in from the beginning rather than it being a blatant retcon compounded by not even being remotely relevant.

Or maybe they'll just tacitly ignore it?  Best-case scenario.

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Please tell me that was a mandate or something along that line.

Doesn’t seem like something he’d do otherwise.

Naaaaaah...probably.

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

So does this mean we're finally going to see Iizuka's gate?

• Nice Smile 1

BTW, he also said that somewhere down the line that he might be able to explain certain things like Angel Island in the Human world and the Knuckles tribe and stuff, so at least it's not all bad.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

My explanation would be "Sometimes it drifts into the human world".

...Actually that seems surprisingly simple. And it'd explain where it got to in Unleashed; it drifted back to the animal world by then.

• Thumbs Up 4

32 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well.. I did want to know how it would be handled, I just hope he'll actually address it.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

BTW, he also said that somewhere down the line that he might be able to explain certain things like Angel Island in the Human world and the Knuckles tribe and stuff, so at least it's not all bad.

That would make things a lot better. And if we’re getting Classic’s world (or heck, a Boom world if it’s not too late), a crossover with a archie would sure be fun.

• Nice Smile 1

I thought there would be more of a freakout about this if it was confirmed, so I guess the constant mentioning of the possibility warmed everyone up to it

35 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Or maybe they'll just tacitly ignore it?  Best-case scenario.

Yeah, maybe another round of Ian's classic work-arounds. Sure there's officially two worlds.. but if we never actually see the planet.. or them flying from Green Hilled forest to Human City.. we could pretend otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, what you guys think “the gate” will be like? Something looking like an ancient echidna gate, or more like the generations boss gates?

(that is, if it’s brought into play)

10 minutes ago, NikoS said:

So, what you guys think “the gate” will be like? Something looking like an ancient echidna gate, or more like the generations boss gates?

(that is, if it’s brought into play)

Just a door in the middle of the forest. As a reference to Generations. Or a plane that travels interdimensionally

• Thumbs Up 2

To make the most sense, it has to be something or somewhere that animal characters can easily access, but not human characters (regularly; Eggman being a genius could figure it out). 

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, Ian said that the games that took place in the human world took place in the human world, so humans aren't retconned. I think he also implied that some stories will be set in the human world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Just a door in the middle of the forest.

No, that's too small. The gate has to be big enough for Angel Island to pass through.

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

To make the most sense, it has to be something or somewhere that animal characters can easily access, but not human characters (regularly; Eggman being a genius could figure it out). 

How exactly would that be possible? I'm not being sarcastic. 

Just now, DabigRG said:

You ever feel like people get too finicky about relatively simple issues?

Yeah, but I'm guilty of being like that also so I don't have a much of say in this.