Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

34 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I wonder if it's a good idea. Most people already call it "Mobius".

If new name would be good, then I think I would adapt, but I can't speak for everyone.

I know what you mean, but won't others complain about it remaining unnamed anyways?

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I know what you mean, but would others complain about it remaining unnamed anyways?

Fair point. Still,

Nameless planet (that arguably is called Mobius) = complains

New name (colliding with old Mobius) = new "Eggman/Robotnik" discussion

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

32 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I know what you mean, but would others complain about it remaining unnamed anyways?

But it does

It's Sonic's World

How about not mentioning the name and just enjoy the story?

Same for not mentioning one world-two world, if that interviewer didnt ask that particular question to Iizuka, perhaps 2 world would not have been official and we would avoid this whole 2 worlds debate now.

For now, let's just focus on Sonic's world and not try to get him a portal or whatever to human world.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

How about not mentioning the name and just enjoy the story?

Same for not mentioning one world-two world, if that interviewer didnt ask that particular question to Iizuka, perhaps 2 world would not have been official and we would avoid this whole 2 worlds debate now.

For now, let's just focus on Sonic's world and not try to get him a portal or whatever to human world.

Well, I'm not sure that actively avoiding showing the human world would be great for the comic-book (but they can do some storyline happening only in one of both world of course). If they have the two world setting, I think it's better for them that they accept it and use it to tell great stories instead of trying to avoid the problem.

Edited by Kazhnuz
added the quote, as we changed page
  • Nice Smile 1

Here's a tricky question: is there something you want from IDW that Archie did wrong/could done better?

I mean, aside giving more love for Insert-Favorite-Character-Name.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Here's a tricky question: is there something you want from IDW that Archie did wrong/could done better? I mean, aside giving more love for Insert-Favorite-Character-Name.

I guess mostly just do a better job with pacing when it comes to bigger arcs. 

You know, this whole "two worlds" issue has actually soured me on humans existing in the series. Sonic Team should have made Eggman a furry like everyone else, and then none of this would have happened.

Big was great in Arche, so I want him that way in IDW.

Sonic-Amy chemistry was good.

One thing I'd prefer is not everybody treating Sonic like the messiah. He's great dude, okay, but everybody is so fanboy of him. This inflates his ego.

Even the karate guy that fought him in the arena said "I was beaten by THE Sonic the hedgehog, so awesome!"

Shocked-kid-image-200x300.jpg

SONIC woah!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

You know, this whole "two worlds" issue has actually soured me on humans existing in the series. Sonic Team should have made Eggman a furry like everyone else, and then none of this would have happened.

No offense, but I'm starting to think we're blowing this issue way out of proportion.

5 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

One thing I'd prefer is not everybody treating Sonic like the messiah. He's great dude, okay, but everybody is so fanboy of him.

Even the karate guy that fought him in the arena said "I was beaten by THE Sonic he hedgehog, so awesome!"

That's also an issue with the games, especially in Forces where Tails calls Sonic their shining hope. Legit, this might be because I'm a Christian, but I don't like it when other characters depend on Sonic like that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Here's a tricky question: is there something you want from IDW that Archie did wrong/could done better? I mean, aside giving more love for Insert-Favorite-Character-Name.

For me : Not having the story cut by out-of-story stuff, like having to add an anniversary hommage/a crossover in middle of the arc (hello Sonic Genesis and Worlds Unite), or shenanigans with old writers. I know that they will always be stuff that the writer can't predict, but in Archie it was too much.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

hello Sonic Genesis and Worlds Unite

The former felt unnecessary since Mega-drive was happening and the latter really messed up the pacing of the SWC saga.

15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Here's a tricky question: is there something you want from IDW that Archie did wrong/could done better?

I mean, aside giving more love for Insert-Favorite-Character-Name.

How about not having an event that retcons characters I like out of existence? I'm still pissed about that BTW.

As I said yesterday, I wonder if the two worlds thing has been there since Sonic Adventure and we only know about it now because someone asked.

Imagine if Iizuka said the Chaotix weren't revived from Chaotix but instead treated as new characters when he had the recent interview saying it without being asked about it in 2003. There'd probably be as many accusations of him BSing an excuse and not taking the simple approach as there are for this concept.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, RedFox99 said:

The former felt unnecessary since Mega-drive was happening and the former really messed up the pacing of the SWC saga.

I'm talking about Sonic Genesis, who was before the Mecha Sally arc during the pre-reboot era, and that frustrated me a bit (especially as I wasn't sure if it was a true reboot or not at first) because like the SWC, it happened in the middle of something. I'm not against crossover/special hommage like these, but I disliked how they where in the middle of an arc x)

But I agree Genesis of a Hedgehog was also a bit too much with Megadrive happening, I forgot about it (even if I've less problem with Genesis of a Hedgehog because it was after the arc).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

I guess mostly just do a better job with pacing when it comes to bigger arcs. 

Flynn is weird with big arcs.

Back in 2006 he made them 2-3 issues long. Enerjack: 5. Moebius: 8, Iron Dominium 12, Mecha Sally ~20, Unleashed almost 40.

I think he's just checking how far he can push it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

12 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Sonic Team should have made Eggman a furry like everyone else, and then none of this would have happened.

Or they could've just not acknowledged the humans in general.

11 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

How about not having an event that retcons characters I like out of existence? I'm still pissed about that BTW.

You do remember that they had to do that because Archie lost the rights to a bunch of characters? 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

New name (colliding with old Mobius) = new "Eggman/Robotnik" discussion

If this is the case they could deal with it the same way they did with Eggman/Robotnik, accept both, e.g: mobians call their planet Mobius, while the Humans call it "Sonic's world", or something else, and Earth obviously remain as Earth. This could be a solution... maybe.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

No.. it'd still be official, we just would've found out about it at a later date.

• Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

As I said yesterday, I wonder if the two worlds thing has been there since Sonic Adventure and we only know about it now because someone asked.

That's unlikely, considering how Sonic Adventure makes more sense if everything takes place in a single world.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Or they could've just not acknowledged the humans in general.

They could have done that, but Eggman would have still been out of place.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

You do remember that they had to do that because Archie lost the rights to a bunch of characters? 

I don't care if they had to, they shouldn't have done it anyway.

2 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I don't care if they had to, they shouldn't have done it anyway.

What would you suggest they've done?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Splash the Otter said:

They could have done that, but Eggman would have still been out of place.

He wasn't out of place before they introduced more than 1 character at a time...so we can avoid that line of thinking.

Eggman is not out of place.

We just don't have to know his origin.

We don't have to know Sonic's origin or how he got his speed.

Nor how Amy got her hammer, nor why Tails was born with two tails.

We just have to know that they're very cool, kick butt and destroy robots!

Asking all these useless questions got us into the two-worlds trouble in the first place.

You think Iizuka was serious when he said that in the interview? He was just forced to come up with an excuse at that moment. Each game is developed differently, not all the games have to be in station square, and not all the games have to be in green hill. Does the story demand humans or no, simple.

Let's take for example Mickey and Donald, they live in the same state (Calisota), but in 90% of the disney comics they don't interact with each other, that doesnt mean they live on different planets !!

Another little disappointment. So, the comic is not canon but it seems like Flynn will have to embrace some of Iizuka's made up stupidities regardless. What's next, the damaged moon excuse?

• Thumbs Up 1