Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Question #11: Whats my favorite piece of sonic memorabilia?

Probably the sonic hat that I got with my pre-order of sonic colors. Not only was this the first pre-order bonus i'd ever gotten from pre-ordering a game but it was also the first real piece of sonic merch i'd ever gotten (aside from the plushies I have), not to mention that it looks and feels really cool to wear.

FAVOURITE PIECE OF MEMORABILIA

I can't really choose between these two guys, but I can explain.

Z4pYGBJ.png

The Adventure Tails on the left is my first piece of Sonic outside the games, and for that reason alone, on top of being an action figure of my favourite character from my second most favourite game, is dear to my heart. I remember when I bought it. It was in the same store where I bought the Gameboy Player for my Gamecube and Super Mario Advance Yoshi's Island. A childhood friend who moved to another region years ago was there too, to keep me company. Getting a little bit nostalgic here.

And, despite having bought that Knuckles only a few years ago during a comic book convention in no particular circumstances, that classic red echidna is still the first character I've ever played as in a Sonic game, running and climbing in that Mushroom Hill. 18 years ago. Thanks, Knucklehead.

Scrooge McDuck is there because he's fucking awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #11: What is your single most cherished bit of Sonic memorabilia?

As of now, my Sonic Amiibo fits the bill.

sonicsmashamiibo.png

It took me awhile to find one. I created a Werehog Sonic on SSB4WU.

Day 9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

Well, my favorite character is Sonic. And my favorite portrayal would have to be the Adventure games. I think his personality was nailed perfectly in these two games. He had the perfect amount of attitude that he's known for, such as during his first fight with Shadow in SA2, or meeting with Knuckles finding out he had been tricked in SA1. I feel that Sonic has kinda lost the genuine 90's attitude he is always said to have, and is more of a pun-cracking douche bag now. He knew when to be serious though as well, such as when negotiating with Eggman over the fake emerald in SA2. All-around, he just gave off that cool 90's hero that he was originally marketed as.

I also LOVE the portrayal of Knuckles in SA1. He is so devoted to his role as Master Emerald guardian. I recently replayed SA1, and at the end of his story, when he is at peace with his role despite not knowing why he has it in the first place, it broke my heart a little. Just seeing that deep, devoted Knuckles and comparing it to the disgrace his character is in Boom really got to me. 

Day 10: What's your top favourite episode out of ALL cartoon episodes?

Cruise Blues of Sonic X. I know a few people have mentioned this already, but it is downright hilarious. Poor Sonic just wants to get off the ship the whole time, and it was kinda interesting to see something drive him so nuts that he grows to be as hilariously selfish as he acted. Despite everyone having a great time, he had no shame in guilting Tails's abandonment of his plane, nor of lying to Amy, manipulating her feelings. Yep, Sonic acted like a jerk, but boy was it funny. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 11: My favourite piece of Sonic memorabilia 

That'd have to be my Limited Edition F4F Shadow statue

CJcPYYQ.jpg

Ignore Yondu.

Anyway why I love this statue so much is because Shadow was my favourite Sonic character growing up, going back to SA2 being the first Sonic game I played. F4F captured him incredibly well and this was also my first F4F statue, now I've got the Modern Super Sonic one pre-ordered!

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 11: What is my favorite *I've put too much money into this franchise...* piece of Sonic memorabilia?

Wow, come to think of it, I have so many pieces of merchandise with that blue animal's head on it. XD From basic lanyards, to cheap stuffed animals I got at amusement parks (not to mention an awesome wall scroll I got from Epcot), to the random figures my brother gifts me on Christmas, to the 20th anniversary statue and ring that came with the collectors edition of Generations... I have so much. Though, I guess you could say that my greatest piece would have to be my 360.

So one day I'm walking around the mall with my family when we decide to split up for a second. Since I'm an absolute computer nerd, I quickly go to the first tech savvy place I see; the Microsoft Store. At the time I was still a pretty huge Mac user but I wasn't against Windows or anything, and I also played the 360 a ton. I start to notice that they have all these special controllers and consoles with customized skin on them. The Bulls, Bears, Star Wars, Doctor Who; it was quite a sight! I then asked an employee how they were able to get all of those and then he told me that they were able to put on custom skins to any Microsoft licensed piece of hardware. All I had to do was bring in a flash drive with the pictures I wanted and my 360. A week later I took him up on that and...

dfkb2b.jpg

t7cpyo.jpg

2nk2l2x.jpg

2wn06r6.jpg

Like really, it was like receiving a brand new system. I was amazed with it (and still am). Really cemented my love for the series. It's a shame the store no longer seems to do it anymore (because I totally would of brought in my One and put something Luna related on it XD). I'm happy I jumped on that chance. Really is 100 times better than a shiny black box.

• Thumbs Up 8

~SSMB Has Cleared Mabsoot Memorabilia Act 11!~

"I forgot something... There's no landing gear in this mode!" - Elliot Cancel, Super Gaming Adventure (2012)

Question #12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise?

maxresdefault.jpg

Crusher Conundrums: Feeling a perfect mix between "Oh, it's all coming back to me..." and "Oh shit, the Riverbed Canyon will be up soon."

Whether you've just got into the series, or if you've already been with it for years, there's bound to be that one memory you recall that was a classic one among the rest. Maybe it was simply playing your first Sonic game for the first time, or maybe it was the satisfaction of beating an especially tricky boss. Maybe a funny thing happened that one time? Whatever the cause or reason, most if not all of us will have that moment that never fails in making us look back and lightly nod, complete with the sort of smile you often see in stock photos. Not a complicated one this, which memory would that be for you?

Crusher's Thoughts: My own answer for this one comes in the form of reaching the end of the first Sonic Advance.

As I've mentioned more than once before, while it wasn't the very first Sonic game I played (that would be Sonic Advance 2), it was the first Sonic game I saw for myself. After occasionally hearing about the franchise every now and then in primary school, this was my first real look at it in action. It was the X-Zone I witnessed, and right off the bat, everything looked cool, although if I loved Crash Bandicoot and Spyro as much as I did (and, er, still do), then I don't think it was ever going to be that hard for me to get into the Sonic series anyway.

Anyway, when I finally got Advance 1 for myself, for the longest time I couldn't beat the Egg Rocket. It wasn't too frustrating since I was still enjoying the game, and I still love the Egg Rocket's music to this day, but I would always make some sort of mistake and fall to my doom. But one day, I made it to the end at last, so Young Me was really pleased about that, and I was dazzled by all the pretty colours in the Cosmic Angel. Somehow, I managed to beat that one pretty easily, although the boss was another story. But sure enough, I eventually beat the Egg Snake (I think that's the official name for it?), and there it was. I finally made it to the X-Zone.

Xz2.png

Sure, it might not be anything special to the rest of you guys. It's just a Not-Death Egg backdrop pulling a Sky Sanctuary. But for me, it was something else. Being able to finally reach this zone made me feel like Superman at the time, and to this day, I get a fuzzy feeling when playing it... much like Advance 1 as a whole, really. (Funny thing is, I had reached the X-Zone in this game before I had ever reached Sonic/Tails' Sky Sanctuary in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so when I first experienced the latter, I was surprised to see that the famous Checker Wrecker was in that game as well.)

A close runner up goes to Sonic Mega Collection, or more specifically, always looking at the Manuals section. It was always exciting to read the descriptions for zones that I had yet to experience, and I'll never forget classic gems like "Crush Dr. Robotnik!" and "Be Sonic! Be atomic!" Good stuff.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 7

That would be beating Tails story in SADX.

It was the first of the stories I beat in the game and I felt a lot of pressure to save the city from Eggman.

Then, I faced the final boss of the story, it took me a long time to beat him and to be honest, I was actually scared of Eggman back then.

But when I finally beat it, I felt like a real hero and the credits always stick to my head:

I want to fly high too!

• Thumbs Up 2

Question 12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise? 

Uh, can I say my whole time playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the first time? 

Seriously, that game is what got me completely into the series in the first place. I ha played some other Sonic games before, but I hadn't been invested as I was here. I cannot even describe the rush I felt running and beating all the zones. I can say playing through this game is what made Sonic feel alive to me. I like every single zone in this game, and they all give me a different memory. 

I think the one specific memory that jumps out at me was playing through Lava Reef Zone act 2. 

sk-lrz-act2img1.png

That whole act blew my fucking mind away. The majestic imposing music, the background, the scale of the whole act, everything came together at that point. That Zone was the defining moment of Sonic for me. It was then, jumping from platform to platform in that hazy blue crystalline caves with that cold music resonating through that I distinctly stating "This is the best game I have ever played." And it still is. 

If there's one thing I will remember about 8th grade decades later, it was that I played Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Lava Reef Zone Act 2, which still effects me to this day. The most beautiful Sonic act in existence. 

First off, you referenced the PC/Playstation A Bug's Life game. I love you for this.

Second, my most nostalgic memory... it would have to be my first contact with the series: playing Ultimate Flash Sonic in primary school. I loved the game, though at the time I didn't know the Spindash existed. I got stuck on the Spinning Egg boss for quite a while, and then I got to the second (and last) world. I think I can attribute my love of wintery cities at night to it, and the heavenly music helped too.

A runner up would be my first experiences watching the Sonic cartoons. I saw X first, and it was the episode where Eggman had appliances go mad. I've still got that episode (and the succeeding one) on a VHS at my grandparents' in Ireland. Then came Underground - I remember it for initially bringing in confusion. Who the hell was "Manic"? Where was Tails? Who's this "Robotnik"? Oh, you mean Eggman? Why's he look different then?

And then when Adventures and SatAM were thrown in, I all thought they were the same continuity - that Sonic joined Sally and co. and met Tails after losing Sonia and Manic to Mr. Blobby's Wild Ride, that Scratch and Grounder were Sleet and Dingo roboticised etc. And this got worse when I saw more X episodes, learned Sonic and co. were from another planet (Mobius?) and then Eggman mentioned "grandfather Robotnik" and at that point the whole thing became the Zelda timeline :U

Fortunately, I know better these days, but it's funny how I saw four unconnected cartoons as one long epic. Man, it was a wild ride.

I'm not really the type to be super nostalgic about things (most of the time), but a memory of the franchise I can consider somewhat nostalgic would probably have to be the first time I tried to write a fanfic based on Sonic Unleashed. Before someone asks, this IS NOT my recent attempts to write Sonic fanfiction, this is like WAAAAY back in 2008-2009, back when I first got into the franchise.

To make a long story short, the fanfic was pretty bad, considering I basically just self-inserted myself as Sonic (literally; the character was exactly the same except for the name), and had a bunch of supporting characters based on Ed Edd n' Eddy. I ended up getting cold feet not too long after and BURNED ALL THE EVIDENCE of its existence, so don't bother asking for a copy; I doubt it's anywhere on my files.

Why is this nostalgic you might ask? Because it serves as sort of a reminder of how my writing has improved since then (although considering I recently deleted my writing because I wasn't satisfied with it and wanted to start over, there is no way to compare it), and it's just that kind of memory I can't help but remember anyways.

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 12: NOSTAGLA!

My most nostalgic memory of the series is when I beat the Time Eater in Generations for the first time. When I got to the boss, Young me practically just thought it was impossible. (I haven't really done that boss again since). However, after struggling with said boss (I think it went into a year after the game came out) then I finally did it. Of course, I obviously felt happy when I managed to defeat what seemed Impossible for Young me and see those credits roll. It was truly a happy moment.

Day 12 complete!

Question #12: OMG NOSTALGIA HHNNNNNGGG

This ones easy, everytime I get asked this question it will always be the first time I played sonic adventure.

Emerald-Coast-Sonic-Nintendo-Station.jpg

Back when I was a kid and the only person in the house who had consoles was my brother and I only rarely got to play it this was the game I played, or shall I say demo since he didn't have the full game and I wouldn't get this until a long time into the future when I had a gamecube and conveniently enough this also happens to be my very first sonic game and what got me into the series in the first place. Yeah I remember it all, the hours i'd spend playing this on my off days from school just to play this one level over and over and constantly wishing I could play the rest (especially the "snowboard level" as I used to call it all the time before I  knew it was ice cap xD). Also, this level to this day always gives me good vibes when I start it, even back then just hearing that first guitar note and looking at the stunning visuals would blow me away and pretty much be the ignition for my run through this level. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Another toughie but I know what to mention, and it's not even in the games.

tumblr_m9c8j4FG3m1qdtw9eo1_500.png

A lot of people hate Sonic X, but personally, I really like it. Fair enough I haven't seen it in ages because it hasn't aired in the UK since Jetix was replaced but I used to love Sonic X when I was really young. During the time Sonic X was airing on Jetix, Adventures of Sonic, and SatAM were both airing on Pop!. I remember loving Sonic X just for the sole fact that it's art style and characters were using the modern designs and were just more like the games. But despite how long it's been since I last saw it, and how I may not remember a lot of it, there's one thing I'll always remember...

...I will always have memories of the Adventure 2 arc. One of my favourites in TV to date.

There's almost nothing good on in the UK during night time, at least after 12:00am. But I remember Jetix was amazing with their night time lineup because it was the day time shows being repeated. I remember staying up late just to specifically watch Sonic X because I loved it so much. It was in a great 2 hour block during late nights with Sonic X, Ying Yang Yo, and Pucca and I remember staying up late just to watch all three. But the show I always watched was Sonic X, and to this day, I still remember watching the Adventure 2 arc on Jetix during those late nights. I remember Sonic helping with the aftermath of Perfect Chaos, I remember his escape from Prison Island, I remember watching Sonic and co breaking into Eggman's base, I remember Shadow's backstory, and I will always remember the epic fight as Super Sonic and Super Shadow fought against the Biolizard and I freaking loved it.

The best part? This was my first time experiencing the Adventure 2 storyline. I didn't play Adventure 2 until 2007 or 2008 where I got more into Sonic games and got the Gamecube versions of Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Adventure DX. 
  • Thumbs Up 5

Playing around in the Chao Garden of SA2:B. Easy.

73fx5Ru.jpg

That's totally from when I was 7 years old and I didn't just post a screenshot of when I revisited the Steam version of the game.

Anyway, I loved the Chao Garden as a kid. I really, really did. I'd go in as Rouge and I'd replay levels just to get vials of stuff and animals to give to the little Chaos, and I fuckin' loved it. I'd do it almost exclusively as Rouge, too, because I was a kid and it felt cool to me at the time. My thoughts were along the lines of "Most of the other boys at school would be doing this Sonic or Shadow, but I'm so unique I'm going to be the girl, I'm so cool and original" or something like that. Then when my dad came in the room to make sure I was okay or whatever, I'd either try to make it look like I didn't like playing as Rouge but I had to at that part or I'd try to go into the Chao Garden as Shadow or Sonic for just that time only because I was embarrassed  :P He probably knew exactly what I was doing, though.

I was a strange little kid. I did that kind of thing often, too, even after I got done with SA2 - I'd play female characters whenever possible and get super embarrassed and act like I didn't want to whenever my dad came around. I find it kind of humorous when I look back on it :P

But yeahh - the Chao Garden, man. Mah childhood  ^_^

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 12! Your most nostalgic memory with the franchise!

Three words; Sonic. Heroes. Opening.

This was the first 3D Sonic game I had ever played and the opening blew my mind back then. Of course nowadays it looks really crappy and dated, but the CGI, Crush 40's music, the cheesy lyrics and the animation of the different teams in action was so great for me and always got me pumped to play the game! The uh...not so great game. But hey, I ignored it and I always thought the best part was the opening intro!

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 11: What is your single most cherished bit of Sonic memorabilia?

i'm sorry if it comes with a picture  :D

plush_heroes_by_drawloverlala-d8i77u7.pn

actually they are not mine... they are my brother's but i found Sonic and Tails on the same fair on diferent days.. it was pretty good luck!!

and i bough them for him XD  ehhe

that Knuckles is from a loooong time ago... its a Sonic Underground plushe... we for many time though it was a mole.. not an echidna :D ahhaha :lol:

EDIT owwops

Day 12! Your most nostalgic memory with the franchise!

actually...

Angel island Zone act 2.. i remember it was the only zone i could reach.. we couldn't even get through hydrocity... when i was a little girl..

eveytime i listen to the music... i remember those times... <3...

Edited by Drawloverlala
  • Thumbs Up 1

Question 12: s-s-s-s-s-sonic heroesssssssssssssssss

Hell yeah, this was my first Sonic game! I got it as a reward for doing really well on a Piano Recital, and I finally got to give the Sonic franchise a shot. Of course the music was kickass, instantly hooking me. Seaside Hill, the first stage for the game hooked me though. It was a fun stage to play through, and its' music still was kickass!

Sonic Heroes isn't the best game I've really played, but for someone just starting out in the Sonic franchise, it was something I was really excited to experience.

(And Tails you sound a bit weird)

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #11: What's your most cherished piece of Sonic merchandise or the like?

I never got any sort of Sonic merchandise, so I'll say that my most cherished Sonic game is Sonic Unleashed. I kept my copy of that game ever since I got it on launch until I sold it about a year or so ago once I got rid of my 360, I adored that game to bits and it propelled my interest in Sonic that would last for years to come after being disillusioned by '06.

Question #12: What's your most nostalgic memory of the franchise?

Seeing this trailer for the first time, the original leaked trailer for Sonic Unleashed. I was fucking blown away. Like, utterly wowed. That heart-pumping music, the outstanding visuals, Sonic finally showing off the true capability of his speed, and the sense of pure adrenaline the trailer gave off. One of my biggest priorities in 2008 was getting my damned hands on this game, no matter the cost. I read countless amounts of articles, magazines, watching the latest bits of released gameplay and trailers, I was desperately wanting to know more about this game. It was probably one of the games I was the most excited for before its release, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which has also happened to come out that same year, and I went ballistic when Sonic was announced) and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time only beating it in that regard. The Unleashed hype was a huge moment for me as a Sonic fan, and when I actually got the game it didn't disappoint.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 12: My Most Nostalgic Sonic Memory

Let me paint you a little picture here. Imagine me at a mere eight years old, I had just rented a copy of Sonic Adventure DX on a recommendation from a friend. I got home popped it into my GameCube and was treated to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhv_ssII20Q

Suffice to say my mind was blown.

exploding-ideas.jpg

Pictured: My Mind

I mean, what can I say? What is there to say? Everything about this intro is perfection incarnate. It's got epic music accompanying cool visuals and it highlights each character well (it even manages to make Big the Cat look awesome, Big the Cat!). It doesn't spoil it's story either, it gives you just enough to make you want to push on and find out what happens. On top of that the scene of Perfect Chaos bursting out of a destroyed building is, to this day, possibly the single most badass thing I've ever seen. As far as I'm concerned the intro to Sonic Adventure epitomizes everything Sonic can, and should be. Namely, cool, fast, epic, and badass.

So yeah, that's my most nostalgic Sonic moment in a nutshell.

When I was 7, I got Sonic Adventure DX for Christmas. This was my first 3D Sonic game, so it had me excited, even if I wasn't fond of it being a Directors Cut because I didn't know what it meant, but it struck me as a possibly cut-down version, which struck me as inauthentic. So I got past Chaos 0 with ease, went in to the next stage, but behold, I lost all my lives drowning. At this point, I decided it can't be worth playing a possibly (to me at the time) trimmed-down version that hard, so I put the game away to forget about it for years, Not to be played again 'till SA's 15th anniversary...

Question #12: What's your most nostalgic memory of the franchise?

Sorry potato video

But holy shit. Before this, the only major Sonic game that was on both a main console and something I owned was Sonic Heroes. This was the first to get both a portable and home release, I think, and I was super excited for it. It was Sonic and Tails and a rainbow of alien marshmallows (that's really what I saw them as) running through a massive, gorgeous and abstract alien world. I was pumped.

And y'know then the actual game didn't really allow me to run through all that and it was mostly mechanical and linear and 2D in that level, but hey, it was still a great game.

I've never owned the DS version of this, even though it was originally the version I was going to buy, because for some reason, 3D Sonic game on Wii version = 3D Sonic game on DS version in my mind. After it was revealed to be Rush 3, I just kinda forgot about it because I'd had my fun with the rush games and at the same time as this I was looking at stuff about Portal.

But yeah, good game.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day XI: Most Cherished Mercantile

My hand-made Blaze doll, knitted by my grandmother (or "Abuleita"). She lays in my bed quite nicely next to my GE Rouge doll, another prized possession. I have about 20 or so Sonic plush toys, but these two are my most cherished. I also really cherish my GE Classic Tails and Jazwares Classic Sonic as an odd couple.

Day XII: Grandest Nostalgia

My most nostalgic Sonic moment was me discovering Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Seeing that fun little blue game was in fact a bigger mythology like Star Wars blew my fucking kindergarten mind. That was likely the point I got hooked on Sonic forever (I've stuck even through Lost World and Rise of Lyric). Another one would be the premier of Sonic X. Or me playing through Mega Collection and seeing how much deeper the Sonic universe ran, which led to me getting some Archie comics and reading Wikipedia, sending my mind on a free-wheeling trip though imagination. 

• Thumbs Up 1