Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Day 13 : Shadowy Hilarity.

It has been said more than once on this thread, but I've to repeat it, because even though I still like the game, there's no denying that the scene where Shadow goes "This is like taking candies from a baby, which is fine by me" is nothing short of hilarious. Especially since, if you play your cards well, you'll still reach the PURE HERO ending.

Pure hero. Stealing candies from a baby.

It just doesn't mix.

day 13 : shadow the hedgehog most hilarius moment?

geee i'm not sure.. :)

i really laugh when in one of the Hero sides i gone to the dark side and Shadow meant to steal Sonic and Tails' chaos emerald..

he said: "is like to steal a candy from a baby" with one of his weird smiles  and then suddenly gets a flashback of Maria and the ARK

hahah i was like: whaat?? hahah but it was funny to see Shadow's weird smile..

anther one was when he mets his clones..

"What tha--?! " hahaha he almost said it...

and then another one when i could find the use to Billy Hatcher's weapon :lol: it was so hilarious! :D ahaha

Egg_Vacume.png

its my favourite weapon on that game.. :D its pretty useful and its fun to use...

Edited by Drawloverlala

Funniest thing about Shadow? Easy. The fact that it tried so hard to be mature and edgy but ended up failing miserably at it.

Funniest thing about Shadow? Easy. The fact that it tried so hard to be mature and edgy but ended up failing miserably at it.

Day 13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

Omochao_Gun.png

The Omochao Gun, of course. I wish there were more silly weapons like this in the game. Seriously, the presence of this and some of the other silly weapons (albeit only as unlockables you could only find in those special Shadow boxes) was legitimately funny, especially in contrast to the realistic weapons and...well, the rest of the game, really. In an ideal world where the concept of a Shadow spinoff was handled much better, I can kinda imagine a nice balance between the standard guns and surreal stuff like this, but alas, it was not to be.

I actually don't find the swearing that funny. I mean, there are specific examples (such as one of Shadow's dying voice clips, "DAMN, NOT HERE"), but usually it was just really narmy. Not even "ha ha" narmy, even, just...really awkward. But that's just me.

Runners up:

• Yeah, definitely the "like taking candy from a baby" line.
  • Agreeing with Crusher on the Library ending names. They're so over the top, it's amazing.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 13: Funniest Shadow the Hedgehog Moment

"Damn" -almost every character.

It just sounds so silly and out of place to hear Sonic characters say "damn". To be fair, I at first didn't notice them saying it (aside Shadow) until the mission where you have to defeat the flying airship. When you lose, Sonic says "Damn, they got away!" and it took me twice to realise it was Sonic saying that. XD It caught me off guard, not gonna lie. I guess they were really desperate to make the game have a mature feeling, huh? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 12: Nostalgic Memory

Oh this was always going to be the story leading to me getting Sonic Heroes.

I first got a proper introduction to Sonic Heroes via a UK Playstation Magazine DVD that I actually still have. It had a bunch of Demos, reviews and so on and one of them was a preview for Sonic Heroes. 

The preview was only a few minutes long from memory and the voice-over gave an explained the whole team mechanic as well as praising the game as "Sonic's fastest adventure to date" and the lack of camera issues found in the adventure titles.

Now, at the time I wasn't caring about the technicalities of the game. I was too busy taking in the colourful environments and seeing these characters blow through them faster than I'd ever seen a game go. 

The preview just sort of ended and never gave any indication of a release date. So, here I am with a game that I want to get and no means of actually knowing when it was out. I never even did the common sense thing of at least mentioning it to my parents in case they just happened to hear something about it at some point. 

After that, I just kind of moved on from it and figured I'd probably encounter it at some point in the future. Fast forward a little while and I'm at my Nana's house for the weekend like I always did. My cousin would always turn up later from Saturday night until the end of the weekend.

Sure enough, one weekend he did just that. On the Sunday I had to go out for a bit and when I came back I found that he'd been at the game shop. Cool, I think to myself, I wonder what he got. Of course, a glossy new copy of Sonic Heroes emerged from the bag. I couldn't believe it, this fabled game that I had no way of keeping track of was now sitting right there. My cousin ran up stairs to play it, with me right behind. He booted the game up and there we stayed.

I watched him play that game for hours. It was every bit as amazing as the preview had made it seem. I knew I had to get that game.

One time my cousin brought the game to my house with his memory card and made a little bit of progress there. When it was time to leave he packed up his stuff and I waved as his car drove away. I go back to the room to discover the game still on screen.

I couldn't believe it. This was when I discovered consoles like the PS2 will actually keep playing the game until it next needs to load. So for the first time, I got to play Sonic Heroes. He'd left the game running with team Rose on the Power Plant stage. It didn't last long. Not knowing the controls I ended up getting myself killed fairly quickly and eventually the game tried to boot the menu which obviously never happened. Still, no matter, I'd finally gotten a taster of the game. 

From then on, I'm actually at a blank as to what circumstances actually led to me getting my own copy. I can remember the car ride home from the shop wit the game in my hand but that's about it. From then on, Heroes has become one of my favourite games and I really do think the "so close yet so far" relationship I had with it prior to getting my own copy made me appreciate it more. I still have that same copy of the game but I've since gotten an Xbox copy as well for the convenience of playing it on the 360 rather than setting the PS2 up.

Here's to you Heroes. Eleven years on and I still remember that story.

Day 13: Shadow's Funniest Moment

Hmm, just one eh? Tricky.

Alrighty, let's go with the storytelling. 

Due to Shadow's branching storylines, depending on the path you choose, cutscenes can often completely contradict prior events during the playthrough or certain plot points and characters can be introduced and then never heard from again.

Let's just take one example for this. This post's long enough already and I could write a book on Shadow's issues.

Say a typical player starts the game for the first time. It's quite likely they'll pick the "neutral" mission which simply asks them to get to the goal ring and thus collecting a Chaos emerald. 

If you do this, the cutscene that follows has Black Doom scold Shadow for deliberately disobeying him. Hang on though, In the opening Black Doom tasked Shadow with collecting the seven emeralds and delivering them to him. Shadow's actually done exactly what Black Doom wanted, even though Shadow justifies it as collecting the emeralds for his own purposes. Black doom then teleports them both to another location and both completely act like the friction form the previous cutscene never happened. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 13: Funniest Shadow moment

Well obviously there are the moments where Shadow and the rest of the characters swear like a bunch of 13 year olds. But the one that really takes the cake for me is in the last story where the Chaotix are on the ARK. During said scene, the Chaotix are trying to get a computer to work, when charms suddenly rams the computer with his stinger. This causes a video of professor Gerald to activate, thus giving Shadow enough strength to break free from Black Dooms mind control and defeat him.

Now why is this hilarious to me? If Charmy hadn't activated that video, Shadow wouldn't be able to break free from the mind control and Black Doom would've taken over the world. So in a way, Charmy was the real hero of Shadow the Hedgehog .

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog For Me?

Despite what I feel about Shadow the Hedgehog (the game I mean as I love the character), it has some hilarious moments in it with the majority of them being unintentional. Starting off with the fact that SEGA and Sonic Team expecting me to despite to take a video game seriously with its dark theme including violence and terrorism with these bright anthropomorphic animals running around in a series that is aimed towards children in the first place. Just that thought alone is extremely comical. All at the expense on the Series' main character being portrayed as a bumbling idiot amid all of that, mind you.

Anyway, when it comes to the most hilarious thing in Shadow the Hedgehog, the Semi-Hero Stage 6 Boss Fight in Cosmic Fall gets my vote:

First off in the cutscene leading to this boss fight Dr. Eggman comes crashing down in the Egg Dealer which is hilarious in its own right with its appearance. Especially with the moustache :P Dr. Eggman proceeds to talk to Shadow like he is a child while that is demeaning, I find it funny as well. Shadow proceeds to respond with melodramatic gestures and body language like he had done all game long and the battle begins.

Shadow attacks the Egg Dealer via a homing attack and several times Dr Eggman proceeds to scream "Stop that!" Isn't this a battle? Generally speaking, Shadow isn't going to stop attacking you simply because you said so. Thinking otherwise is simply silly. Shadow's talk isn't much better: "Death to all those who oppose me!" Shadow is trying too hard here..."Ow the Edge" indeed! Just melodramatic dialogue all throughout the battle which only contributed to the humor.

I totally lost it when Dr. Eggman lost his rings à la Sonic kinda sorta:

S4cDXT0.jpg?1

oRIc3SA.png?1

I love how Dr. Eggman always seems to bring a smile to my face as well as some laughs. Even when he isn't even trying to be funny :D Especially in this mess and joke of a video game.

The hilarious shenanigans finally come to an end here with Vector dancing in celebration while Shadow poses after obtaining the red Chaos Emerald. It's not like he did anything useful during the boss fight so that makes him dancing in celebration like he actually did something even more funny :P

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 13: Most Hilarious Shadow the Hedgehog Moment

Ooo, that's a toughie.

I would say it's something that gets overlooked...

The neutral ending to Cryptic Castle. You find a secret passage, and Eggman's just "what? I didn't know there was anything down here..."

This is what we call foreshadowing kids. When even the evil scientist who's always awakening ancient monsters doesn't know about a passage under his own base...

S.T.H._-_Image_-_32.jpg

Cue this fucking thing starting to chase you down the rails.

I was screaming all high pitched, Eggman was freaking out too, and to me, that's what made this moment hilarious. It was terrifying the first time, but that's also what made it so funny. The fact Eggman himself was clearly on edge when he's usually so smugly confident in his control of every situation was icing on the cake.

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

OH MAN OH BOY

There's SO MUCH to laugh about here in this game it's like it was intentionally written that way. 

The INTRO CINEMATIC before you even properly start the game is lolworhty. 

Shadow raining gunfire upon who-know-what with a look of scorn on his face already leads you into not taking this game seriously at ALL.  From there it was pretty much downhill. The use of 'damn' really drives home whatever the hell audience Sonic Team was trying to reach here. 

Then there's this:

GUN_commander_kid_funny_6857.jpg

HOW IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY MY GOD HAHAHA

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 11: What is your single most cherished bit of Sonic memorabilia?

Alright, sit down lads, cause here it is.

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

yes I cradle it from time to time there's nothing wrong with me

My 20th Anniversary statue I won from that IGN contest, US edition #76. I feel like I don't have to explain why I cherish it so much due to its rarity. However, the contest that I entered required we do one thing: explain our favorite Sonic memory, and the IGN staff picked their 4 favorite ones. This gave me the opportunity to delve into what Sonic Adventure 2 truly means to me as a video game. The blog post I posted 4 years ago oh dear god that was 4 years ago where does time go  I have spoiler'd below.

Without further ado, I present...

Day 12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise? (in 4 year old blog post form)

Falling from the sky with a piece of conveniently skateboard-shaped helicopter metal in hand, I land on the oh-so-familiar street of City Escape. Doing this memorized routine today, I am immediately taken back to my 7 year-old self, who performed this ritual of the level City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2 every day. Though mentioning this game exhumes many, smaller memories rather than pinpointing just one, together they create a massive wave of nostalgia that cannot go ignored.

Opening the game up on Christmas 2001, my brother and I were ecstatic. Though I had never actually beaten a Sonic game before, I still loved to run around as the blue hedgehog with attitude in the games. I grabbed the plush Chao that was gifted with the game and my brother and I ran in to play. Little did I know, this game would totally change me, and it would become the first video game I actually beat without help from anyone else.

The feelings I got back then of adrenaline when speeding around loops, accomplishment when grinding down rails without falling, and joy when finding an impossible emerald shard are things I still feel in the exact same way when replaying Sonic Adventure 2 today.

I raised as many Chao as the game would allow, all with names like “Emerald”, “Ring”, and “Speedy”. I cried for an hour the day my brother cruelly deleted some of my precious Chao, so I could never see them again.

I was thrilled with the addition of new characters, and I constantly played as Rouge, just for the fact that I could finally play as a girl character than wasn’t as lame to me as Amy.

After playing through the game many times, my brother and I would randomly quote the cutscenes, reciting banter between the characters. The amount of times I called him a “Faker” is ridiculous.

I became best friends with a boy in my school just because this of this game. We went over each other’s houses many times to compare Chao and race against each other in 2-player mode.

I even remember going through the sound test soundtrack songs, playing them as loud as I could on the TV, and running throughout the house, occasionally giving my mom a bold finger-wag.

Yes, this little blog is not ONE memory, but these few small memories that go along with Sonic Adventure 2 mean more to me than any other video game experience I can possibly imagine.

Boy I got some catching up to do...

Question #11: Whats my favorite piece of sonic memorabilia?

This bad boy right here...

Anime-SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG-20th-Memorial-A

A little note: this is actually an image I got from the internet than a picture I took (was gonna take one, but didn't have much time due to work), but I have this figure nonetheless. I got it from an anime convention a week ago, and I basically told the vendor to shut up and take my money when I saw it.

There's also the History of Sonic by Udon Crew that I have, and remember those two Joyride Studio posable action figures of Sonic and Shadow back in the early 2000s? Yeah, I have those too. Would be hard pressed to trade them for anything else. (unless it's maybe a Megaman Zero Official Works translated by Udon Crew, maybe)

Will work on days 12, 13, and possibly 14 later (my laptop is about to auto restart as I'm typing this).

• Thumbs Up 2

I found the fact that Shadow just believes everything Black Doom has to say is pretty silly really.

Like in one cutscene, where Black Doom mentions a part of his past and just says it's not but never-ending hatred for humanity and Shadow just accepts it. It's a pretty lazy way of doing it and just comes off as "pffft well ok that's that then".

Or another cutscene, where Shadow and BD are at space and have a quiet moment only to be interrupted by BD again saying how pathetic humanity is.

I guess to fully understand what I'm saying, Roger talked about Shadow and how childish its story is.

Really, there is no way you can take this game seriously even with its darker-than-usual tone. It's pretty stupid and has a unintentionally hilarious moments here and there.

Good thing Iizuka redeemed himself as a writer in the Rivals series.

Question #13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

My answer is nothing special - damn damn damn damn damn! It just reminded me of a kid who was trying too hard to look cool on the playground.

Sega was probably like "Oh, we can get away with saying damn because it'd help with the darker, edgier image surrounding Shadow due to it being a curse word but it wouldn't be too offensive either." So they just shoved damn in there as much as they could and let it lay at that, and blam-o - we got ourselves a game that tried so hard that it transcended what it was trying to do and just became laughable as a result, and I still think the biggest reason is the line of logic that was likely applied when they decided to cram the word "damn" into the game as much as possible.

The use of realistic guns should get an honorable mention, though. I dunno why, but that was humorous in its own weird way to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 13: What is the funnest moment you've had *heh, that's implying I've actually brought the game in the first place...* with Shadow The Hedgehog?

Well, to be honest, I've never have actually owned Shadow The Hedgehog, My only experience with it has been at one of my friends houses where he had it way back when and we played half of the first level. It was painfully boring and we quickly switched it out to play Kirby Air Ride :/. I don't know, I've played through worst games (at least I think I have) before but I just can't bring myself to actually go out of my way and get this one.... and can you blame me? I think the main reason why I just don't want anything to do with it is because it's built off the Heroes's engine (which was a game that was filled to the brim with mechanics that I already knew I hated).

I think the funniest thing to have come my way from it would have to be SomecallmeJohnny's review of it. The way he just goes off on it at points had me down right laughing. I can't say whether I agree with him on this one (since I haven't really played it) but I usually do with a lot of his views on other games so I can't imagine this one being too different. Even then, the video is just a good watch all together. XD

The bit where all characters are paralysed towards the end. They're stuck in such silly poses, it's really awkward... and BAM! Shadow can escape it and be the hero of the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

The entirety of the opening video. It is just insane as to how try-hard it is, especially the shot of him over Sonic.

Question #11: What is your single most cherished bit of Sonic memorabilia?

Sa2_10th_jp_pack.jpg

I can think of a few things, but among them I would definitely say I prize my copies of the 10th Anniversary Birthday Pack that came with Sonic Adventure 2. I have three total, and they were very special to me back in the day, and still are, now. I'm going to go back to this with Question 12, as it ties into it,  but I always loved the little booklet for the little bits of history, and most notably for the original story concept that talked about the Mary Grannet/fairy tale origin story. I always thought it was a neat idea, personally. The soundtrack was also a big thing for me, and it introduced me to the Japanese Sonic CD themes. That may not be my favorite game, but I definitely have a fondness for these tracks, back when they were just these oddball songs I never heard anywhere before. I still like "Cosmic Eternity ~ Believe in Yourself" as a standalone track.

STH177.jpg

Next up, I'm going to have to go with my copy of Sonic the Hedgehog #177. It's a random issue, but it holds significance for me because it marks when I decided to jump back into the Archie Comics series after stepping away from it for as long as I did. I remember picking it up and being kind of shocked to see *gasp* Spaz did not do the cover. I was even more shocked to see that the cover artist, Tracy Yardley, did the interiors too! It was so strange seeing interior artwork on this book that matched the quality of the cover for a change, because it was such a rarity around the time I dropped the book, and I was amazed at how expressive Yardley's work was. What's more, I was also impressed to see so many comic-exclusive/non-game characters I remembered for years ago still holding relevance and I was taking an interest in what was going on with them. I suppose there was the familiarity factor, but as time would go on with the book, they became much more interesting that I gave them credit for, and I realize a lot of that is due to (then) new writer Ian Flynn for making them pull their weight, without taking the focus off of Sonic and crew. I also really like how the issue ended with all of Sonic's friends pitching in to take down Eggman's mech (take notes, SEGA), and the whole issue just felt like a new beginning because it ended so cleanly with Sonic telling Eggman "Game on!" and revitalizing their conflict (I wasn't aware of everything going on in the book, so it all felt very fresh to me). I've been hooked since then.

Question #12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise?

Going back to Question 11...

(Hero side story, first cutscene--HD version)

While I'm more than happy to talk about growing up with Sonic in the Genesis days, SA2 is a rather special game to me because I remember following and consuming any bit of info I could get my hands on regarding it before its release. I remember leading up to the release when my dad would pick me up from aunt's and I'd immediately ask to go to the toy store to see if they got the game in yet. This went on for at least week. I was just so excited and wasn't very good about containing that haha. We ended up checking roughly a day before the official release date, and my dad, probably tired of me dragging him to Toys R Us all the blasted time, went and asked about the game and birthday pack since there wasn't a claim ticket or display for it in the games section (and if you remember these, you're old like me). The guy at the counter seemed confused since he thought there was and he just went in the back and handed us a copy of the game, but explained they hadn't gotten the Birthday Pack in yet. But I didn't care, I just got the game and wanted to rush right home and play it! I remember seeing the above cutscene and being completely enthralled with the game, and I could actually remember hearing my dad comment to my mom about how Sonic must be my favorite character.

About a week later we went to Best Buy and bought one of the Birthday Packs, because for whatever reason Best Buy was selling them for only a penny, and while my dad asked if I wanted to get any extras because they were cheap, I just didn't think about it and just took the one (I think I was an honest kid or something, because I'm pretty sure I'd have jumped on that otherwise). A week after that was my birthday and my dad ended up handing me a present with two more SA2 Birthday Packs. For whatever reason, I ended up opening them all, and now I'm kicking myself for not keeping the other two sealed... but whatever, they're just cool things to display and talk about, and I don't think I'm getting rid of them any time soon.

This is more of a general thing, since I don't really want to retread a lot of what everyone else has said, but I typically just find the localization to be, easily, the worst thing about the game, to the point it's just laughable. Not "funny-haha" but just "awful-haha." There are so many instances where you have to wonder if the VAs were just looking at the script, reciting these lines, and just thinking "wait, does this make ANY sense?!" I suppose this is just par for the course with SEGA of America at the time, as most Sonic games prior to Secret Rings have notoriously shoddy dubs for one reason or the other. SA1 was the last game that obviously had effort put into its dub script in this era--it may not have been accurate, but it at least nailed the dialogue in a way that made sense to an English speaking audience and still represented the characters well. With a game like Shadow... we seem to get the exact opposite of this. While Iizuka's script is at the root of the problem, just being sloppy writing (I still like the ideas in it, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired), I don't think the localization team helped matters. It's fan-sub quality, and it's embarrassing SEGA let this skate through with no quality control.

Best examples I can think of are Commander Tower's scene where he confronts Shadow. I maintain this is my favorite scene for the mood and the music, and Shadow's overall reaction, but Tower's rant is constantly contradicting itself, at once referring to his family and Maria as separate entities, and then saying Maria was the only family he ever know... before going right back to the original thought!

I know you... Shadow the Hedgehog. You killed everyone I

loved... my family... Maria. I've been waiting all my life for

this day!

DAY 13: FUNNIEST SHADOW MOMENT

"This is like taking candy away from a baby, which is fine by me!"

Last year I reminsiced on how downright stupid this quote was. Now, I realize that its as funny as it is stupid. I mean, seriously. Imagine Shadow legitmatelly just walking up to a baby and stealing their candy moments later.

...And he just shrugs it off like he doesn't give a damn.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Thumbs Up 3

~SSMB Has Cleared Draffish Damnation Act 13!~

"It was never about chivalry for me... I just gotta do what I've gotta do, that's all." - The Dude, Sonic and the Stranger in the Alps (1998)

Question #14: Which deleted/beta/cancelled/etc concept from the franchise interests you the most?

Iceberg1SMWW.png

"Yoshi, I've-a feeling we're not on the Super Nintendo anymore..."

As everyone knows, you can't spell video games without ga. Ga, as in, "Ga, that's really interesting!" You know one thing that's interesting about video games? The stuff that doesn't actually make it in. The Eh?'s and Dunno's of the gaming universe, if you will. No video game franchise as huge as the Sonic franchise is complete without a Yellow Pages full of concepts, characters, or even entire games that are left in the beta version(s), if not deleted or cancelled outright. If they manage to make an impression in enough people's consciousness, some of them are lucky and/or annoying enough to become popular sensations, despite - or perhaps because of - next to nothing being known about them. Out of all these legends and ghosts that have fortunately been generous enough to not harass Shaggy and Scooby, which one of them fascinates you the most?

NOTE: It doesn't actually have to relate to a game, it can be cartoon/comic/etc-related if you want. So if you want to talk about, say, that Nazo chap for example, sure, go ahead.

Crusher's Thoughts: The one I find really intriguing is Sonic CD's "R2".

When it comes to unsolved/partly solved mysteries in games, deleted levels and beta levels are one of my favourite subjects, because I find it really interesting to witness a beta form of level design, and wonder why it was deleted, or wonder how it would have worked if it had been left in the game, or if there would have been any visual changes or design changes for the final version, and so on. So naturally, this "R2" is right up my street. We know that it would have been Sonic CD's second zone (sorry, round), and we know that it probably would have been the game's equivalent to Sonic 1's Marble, as Palmtree Panic is it's own Green Hill, Collision Chaos it's own Spring Yard, Stardust Speedway it's own Star Light... but apart from some Badniks and approximately one little bit of concept art, everything else is left up to our imaginations. It's been suggested that it makes an appearance in the game's ending, but almost nothing in said appearance looks anything like what little is present in the concept art of it.

Still, from what we DO know about the zone (round), I think it would have been nice to see a full version of it. The majority of the visuals might remain a mystery, but the setup of the zone (round) indicates to me that it would have been just as beautiful to look at as the rest of the zones (fuck it, just call them zones) in the game. Rainbow waterfalls? Don't know about you, but that sounds lovely to me. And if this was all intended for the Present version, what were the other time zones for it going to look like? I don't know, what are you asking me for, but it's definitely cool to think about nonetheless.

Also, don't get me wrong, Desert Dazzle and Final Fever are really interesting to me as well, but unlike those two Taxman-specific creations, "R2" was there from the start, making it even more of a mystery compared to the other two.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 5

Question #14: Which deleted/beta/cancelled/etc concept from the franchise interests you the most?

Oh that's an easy one for me.

Sonic-16_Title.jpg

I thought the leaked scrapped gameplay footage that we got from this game was a very interesting stylized departure from the genesis games. The backstory behind this game is it was one of the possible games that could have been made before Sonic XTreme was decided to be created for the Saturn. As you could guess from the above screenshot, it was to be based on SatAM, and would have featured that style, and universe from that show, as well as having the gameplay match the show's tone.

The game's cast would have featured SatAM!Sonic and the Freedom Fighters doing their missions, and the gameplay would have been the classic gameplay we know mixed in with a stealth game like Metal Gear Solid where Sonic would have to keep hidden from Robotnik's mechs and swatbots by doing things such as hiding behind walls, and using power rings as throwable weapons. Sonic's moveset would also take inspiration from the series as well with Sonic being able to pull off the sawdrill spin dash that he usually did in the series, and being able to launch spikes from Sonic as well. It was a very unique gameplay mechanic and it's a type of Sonic game that I'm sad that it never saw the light of day. Because it would have been a very interesting new take on the 2D Sonic formula in my opinion. 

Here's the leaked gameplay for anyone curious

• Thumbs Up 4

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 14: Beta Stuff

When it comes to this topic, something I'm interested in is how in Sonic Adventure how different the beta version of Windy Valley looks compared to the final game. It almost looks like an entirely different level between the two versions. I think the Beta level design might be a little better honestly compared to the final version because there's more area to run around in whereas the final version is pretty much straight the whole way. 

Day 14 Complete! (Are we seriously on Day 14 already?)

P.S. As we all know, practically the entire of Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric feels like a beta yet still put out as a ''finished product'' but now is not the time for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question 14: What deleted/cancelled concept from the franchise interests you the most? 

This is a bit of a cheat since the zone is now on the mobile versions, but I'm gonna go with... 

Hiddenpalaces2.png

The original Hidden Palace Zone from Sonic 2, and it's intended purpose. In the Megadrive version of Sonic 2, this zone was definitely not to be accessed from the pit. 

The reason why it interests me so much is what you were supposed to do there. Yuji Naka in an interview stated that this zone is where you would have been warped after getting all 7 of the Chaos Emeralds. In this zone, you would have gotten the power to go Super Sonic. It makes me wonder what would have happened to give you the power.

The thing that makes it even more interesting is that Yuji Naka said that this zone was supposed to be the answer to where the Chaos Emeralds came from. This means that if this zone was completed, the Chaos Emeralds would have come from Westside Island. Would there have even been a Master Emerald then? 

Could you imagine how much the whole series' story would have been different if this one zone was realized in it's time? Would Knuckles even exist if this zone was put in? God damn... 

Also, it's still not fully clear what music would have played in this zone. The famous Track 10 music was intended to be in a cut scene, most likely the one where you would have become Super Sonic for the first time. Then what music would have played in the rest of the zone? 

I've always been really intrigued by these early concepts that would have really changed the series in some way. 

Also, I am intrigued by these two beta themes and why they were changed. I like both of these way more than the final versions. I don't know if we will ever get an answer to why these were changed....

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 14: My favorite cancelled concept:

I'm very amused by the dropped concepts for Sonic in the first game:

1) Sonic was going to be lighter-blue and have fangs

2) He was gonna have a band: Band.jpg

3) The infamous Madonna: S1concept-Madonna.jpg

That last one in particular is deliciously ironic: '06 is proof that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it!