Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Day 12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise?

Well, if I were to say anything it would probably be how I got into the series: by watching YouTube videos. so I'll try to make it as short and sweet as I can while still being within the rules. Basically, when I got a PC in 2007 I had an interest in the Sonic series. I don't remember the exact sequence of events that led me into it but the videos I watched about Sonic sucked me into the series. After only a short while, I was a fan. It also helps that during this time I met a very special friend who taught me everything to know about Sonic. So I'd say the summer of 2007 was my most nostalgic time with the series, too many good memories to single one particular moment out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question 12: What is Your Most Nostalgic Memory of the Franchise?

Oh, that's an easy one;

242px-Sonic_adv_2_battle_box.jpg

Playing Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and getting introduced to the games through it.

Having seen a few episodes of AoStH as a child, I knew who Sonic was, but I hadn't been aware he had his own game series. That is, until my mom got my brother this game for the Gamecube. Now, again having only been familiar with the cartoon, I had a myraid of questions. Like, who are those other characters with Sonic and Tails? Where are Scratch and Grounder? Who is 'Eggman'? Why do Sonic and Tails look so different? And so forth. Heh, I actually thought this was going to be a fighting game because it had the word 'Battle' in it. And I thought Gerald Robotnik was the same Robotnik from AoStH. Yeah, I was a naive child. I had just turned eleven a few months beforehand! Don't judge me!

So, after waiting for my brother to give me a chance to play - it was his game, after all, I decided to play the game for myself. And from the first time I saw the opening cutscene boot up and I saw Sonic's signature grin as he was escaping from GUN, followed by the now classic 'Escape from the City' playing in the background of my first ever stage of the series, I became hooked on the series.

I might not have as much love for this game as I did as a kid, but I still get some enjoyment out of it and I'll always look back on SA2:B for getting me into the Sonic games like it did.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 10: CHRUSHER MADE A VOW, THIS EVENT WILL GO DOWN

I have to go with the satam episode SUB SONIC.

Rotor is desiring to do something heroic, and brave, like Sonic.

image.jpg2_2.jpg

Meanwhile, the new trees the freedom fighters planted aren't growing, and the old trees aren't looking so good.Sonic, through a fishing mishap, finds some water that really speeds up the growth process, so They go on a search to find the water. On there search they run into a lot of problems, first they loose Antoine, then Sally goes missing, and then they run into this guy.

image.jpg3.jpg

The pollution monster, grabs Sonic and Rotor high tails it out of there. It takes him a bit, but he finally finds the others, which brings the us the best moment. Rotor has to save the other freedom fighters from drowning, and using his quick thinking and a slab of wood, he saves them and gets to be the hero he was wanting to be. They then meet the monster again and discover Robotnik's latest scheme, he's drilling for oil.

Thanks to Rotor (and Sonic), they stop Robotnik's drilling and save the monster's home. To thank them, the Monster gives them some of the special water he had saved. Once the freedom fighters get back to knothole they spread the water on the trees and we get a happy ending, watching the trees start to grow.

image.jpg4.jpg

It's a great episode for Rotor, he's one of my favorite characters, and it's awesome to see him be the hero. It's also neat to see how different he is in some ways here, compared to Reboot Archie, I kind of miss his more geeky chill personality, but at the same point I like how he's stronger and in on the action more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 11: MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

I don't have much memorabilia, most of the figures and toys I've broken and/or lost. I have comics and one plush. Even though I don't have it anymore, I'm going to say this.

image.jpg1_3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Question 13: What is the funniest thing to come out of Shadow for you? 

Ehhh, I never really found anything in the game funny. 

I guess I find it hilarious in how fucking annoying Sonic is in most of those cut scenes. It's funny because you can tell that they were trying to make Sonic as happy and juvenile as possible to compliment Shadow who was going through his angsty teenage phase.

Sonic is so flanderized throughout the whole game. His cheesy lines were taken up to eleven and he sounds like a little kid, or at least a little brother to Shadow or something. 

It's not really as funny as it is cringe-worthy and annoying, but whatever. 

This is a lazy post but I don't really have anything more to say. 

Oh yeah, I forgot. "I AM SHADOW ANDROID" is pretty fucking funny too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

Eh...

I guess the DAMNS all throughout? I didn't really chuckle at anything in particular, and I don't have muscles to flex.

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirely of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

This one is honestly hard for me as I've never played Shadow or have I seen much of the game and never have I really laughed at he game unlike Sonic 06. It just feels like 06 is better for this question because that has more hilarious moments. Anyway, time to answer today's question. If I had to choose, it'd probably be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXExvs6lUgw. Yeah, you saw this coming. The infamous ''Find the computer room!'' line. A line that has become infamous with this infamous game. (Get it?)

Runner-Up:

''Where's that DAMN Fourth Chaos Emerald?''.

Day 13 Complete!

P.S. And that's all I have to say for this one. What I said at the start of this post is why this is a little shorter than normal.

Question #13: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog for you?

This little bit of comedy gold in the game's intro;

tumblr_inline_nojzknn5v31riafjl_500.gif

The agape mouth, the frenzied look in that Hedgehog's eyes, the gratuitous unloading of bullets, and the way he's holding the gun with his other hand as if the recoil would smack him in the chest if he didn't all come together to make an image that is truly hilarious.

But you know what else is just as funny?

The fact that Sonic Team, I kid you not, expected me to take this seriously.

Sigh...it's sad that Sonic is often at it's funniest when it's unintentional.

I guess I find it hilarious in how fucking annoying Sonic is in most of those cut scenes. It's funny because you can tell that they were trying to make Sonic as happy and juvenile as possible to compliment Shadow who was going through his angsty teenage phase.

Sonic is so flanderized throughout the whole game. His cheesy lines were taken up to eleven and he sounds like a little kid, or at least a little brother to Shadow or something.

• Thumbs Up 8

I so wish that More Annoying Sonic Phrases GMV still existed so I could post it here, but if I had to choose, probably everything about how overly serious it tries and fails so hard to be. The DAMN fourth chaos emerald is funny enough, but I really don't have anything in particular that I can put here.

hqdefault.jpg

''DAMN'' - Entire Cast

Oh, that's an easy one. The entire concept of the game. No really. The entire concept of Shadow the Hedgehog is just a huge joke, that builds with every second of gameplay. Sega actually thought that it'd be a good idea to take huge talking animals, give them weapons, make their main dude, Sonic look like a lame idiot half of the time, while Shadow is running around swearing and using guns. It's just so damn funny. But it gets even funnier as the game progresses and it goes further and further into tryhard areas as Shadow, Espio, The G.U.N Commander, and even Sonic begins to swear about the place. It just so unbelieveably funny to hear these characters try so hard to be edgey and to this day, I still refer to this game as Shadow the Edgehog just because of how tryhard it is.

From hearing Shadow running around shouting damn, to telling the good old Doctor himself that he's going ''straight to hell'', to Sonic running around in the middle of a war torn city and telling Shadow ''I'D NEVER BE CAUGHT DEAD WITH ONE OF THOSE GUNS BECAUSE I'M KID FRIENDLY! :DDDDDD''. Then there's the stupid sci-fi plot that's filled with plot holes, the entire fact the game doesn't need to exist because Rouge could easily recap Shadow on what occurred, plus the fact that even how they reveal it is a joke.

Basically, Shadow's backstory being tied up is turned into a after thought, as the player needs to actually wait in the final story boss battle for 8 entire minutes and only then will Eggman randomly tell Shadow that he's not a clone or robot and is the real Shadow. Because there's no better time to say that when the world is closed to ending and there's only one super powered Edgehog to save everyone. [sarcasm] Truly, this game is badass. [/sarcasm]

So yes. I say the entire concept of Shadow is a funny joke in of itself. 

There. That's the DAMN 13th Question answered!
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 13! The single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Shadow the Hedgehog!

- Damn damn damn damn damn DAMN NOT HERE! I know they swear in the Japanese version but this is ridiculous. At least use other swearwords besides damn!

- Sonic being WAY too fucking happy, like, weirdly so. "Time to ROCK and ROLL!" Sonic, please for the love of God go away and let Shadow mope by himself. You're just annoying him...and me. XP

- But I think the most hilarious thing in Shadow the hedgehog hands down is this;

Dr Eggman really likes to repeat himself in this game, but especially in this infamous boss battle! When I first played this, I couldn't stop laughing because of how annoying it was. Pure gold.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 13: My funniest Shadow moment:

I noticed something strange in that haunted house where you can find Cream: The "good" mooks are the Badniks, and the "bad" mooks are the Black Arms. And since Eggman's the "bad" partner for that level, you need to kill his robots while helping him in order to get a good rank!

Also, the fact that I 100%-ed the game twice. AH HAHAHAHAH.....

Heh heh heh heh...

;_;

"It's like taking candy from a baby, WHICH IS FINE BY ME!"

-Shadow

The reason why I believe this to be the funniest thing in the whole entire game is that it's just the most blatantly generic and obvious "Look at me, I'm evil! Look at how evil I am!" line in the history of scripted entertainment, plus Jason Griffith's hammy delivery made it that much better.

The fact that you only encounter it on the Pure Hero path is icing on the cake.

• Thumbs Up 4

I won't lie, Shadow is a pretty narmtastic game, so plenty of hilarious things have come out of it.

While I think the most famous quote from the game is ironically overblown for how out of the way it is (I rarely pause and switch missions, so it took me ages to even find the quote in its original context. Really internet?), anything in Mad Matrix is fair game. From being told to stop attacking Eggman's forces to not alert Eggman when fighting Eggman, to Espio even more ninja phrase spouting than the last game, to that line you actually do have to hear over and over again, all the dialogue here is a riot.

But another thing that tends to be overlooked is some of the character designs for the humans. Maria looks like a bug-eyed abomination for one thing, the president actually has massive feet for his body proportions (works with Sonic, not with you), and dare I bring up the Commander in the flashbacks?

tumblr_mwowcyKznm1qlj42ao1_400.png

Who thought this was an acceptable design for anything??

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I cheat and say the Game Grumps' playthrough of it?

If not that, then I suppose the funniest thing would be going through the entire Dark mission where you shoot down the president's plane, then it explodes... and yet somehow the bastard survives! The fuck? I suppose that counts too - the fact that for such an "edgy" game, they really go out of their way to make sure no human really dies (except any Robotniks - they're marked for death).

Question #13 - The most DAMN Hilarious thing in Shadow the Hedgehog?

Oh man, that's so hard. I have one official and two runner ups

The official one

This is like taking candy from a baby! WHICH IS FINE BY ME!

I mean, SERIOUSLY? I think the alarms there went off because there was too much edge on that scene. This is fucking hilarious, it's like they wanted to make Shadow look so evil, that he not only would say ''LIKE TAKING CANDY FROM BABIES'' but HE'D MEAN IT.

Note that this is the good path. His edge is so high even on the good path he's a meanie.

Runner ups - DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMMETY-DAMMENY-DAMN DAMNATION DAMN DAMN 

Also the fact that Shadow and Sonic act like if they're Squidward and Spongebob respectively. Just think about it for a moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Obvious "damn 4th Chaos Emerald" jokes aside...

The "taking candy from a baby, which is fine by me" quote gets me every time. xD Also, the young Commander is both terrifying and hilarious. I also like the Game Grumps' reaction to the Commander's clown shoes and the way he stares at that photo of Sonic and Shadow.

((Also, I won't be online starting tomorrow until about next Thursday or so. Just a heads-up. And a PM with all the questions I missed would be greatly appreciated. ^^))

Question 13: I've never played Shadow the Hedgehog so

This is a hard one. I guess the fact that it's just super cringey and it's dialogue is stupid? I haven't played Shadow the Hedgehog or really seen anything beyond all of it's cutscenes, so it's really hard to determine what I think is really stupid beyond that.

This video sums up what I think of the story really

Doesn't it just feel..... stupid? It feels like it tries to take itself seriously, but then there's moments like

"Stop! Don't move, or we'll shoot!".

"Find the Computer Room!"

"Goodbye Doctor" (Followed by a large 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO')

"It's like taking candy from a baby, which is fine by me"

And it's the opposite of some meh plot and becomes a laughing stock of any form of a writing. It's cringey, and it's basically maximum edge, but it's funny. I've seen all of the cutscenes and they are beyond stupid. It's the most hilarious thing really. Sure, a lot of the stories in Sonic games never had the feeling of it being serious and such (always about them adventures) but Shadow the Hedgehog is hilarious for all of the wrong reasons, and it's the most hilarious part of a game I've never played at all.

Okie-doke! Catch up time again! My most nostalgic Sonic memory is...

30a5kxe.jpg

The Road to Sonic Heroes

After Sonic Adventure made me a hardcore fan and Sonic Adventure 2 blew me away, I was lying in wait for the next big 3D adventure. Sonic Shuffle was a fun distraction, the Advance games were cool, and the Gamecube ports were fine, but I REALLY wanted to see what was coming next. I got that wish when I flipped through a random issue of Nintendo Power and spotted two new games announced: Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle. While Sonic Battle's screen caught my eye for the inclusion of Shadow, my favorite Sonic character, despite his supposedly-deceased status at the time, I couldn't wrap my head around the Heroes screen. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles hanging on to one another as they floated through the air? I then looked at the description. Three characters at once? Could they even make a game that worked like that? It was a while before I got the answer, as that one screen and description were my sole pieces of Heroes info for quite a long time. That is, until I discovered the wonders of the internet for the first time and found Sega's website where they had a trailer for the game uploaded. Upon watching it, I couldn't believe my eyes. Shadow WAS back from the dead? Gamma (Or at least something that looked an awful lot like him) was playable? Big was back and Cream made her 3D playable debut? THE CHAOTIX WERE INVOLVED?! METAL SONIC HAD A SICK NEW LOOK AND WAS THE MAIN VILLAIN?! Every new second of the video made me drool just a little more. I couldn't believe that they were actually going through with this. Judging by the generic name and the use of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in the screen, I thought this might just be a solo adventure for them, but FOUR WHOLE TEAMS WITH DIFFERENT STORIES?! RETURNING ADVENTURE ERA AND CLASSIC ERA CHARACTERS?! This settled it. I NEEDED to own this game. But I couldn't just wait for a holiday or birthday, no noooo NOOOOOOO. I needed to PURCHASE this MYSELF. ON RELEASE DATE. Thus, Heroes became the first game that I actually saved up cash for to buy DAY ONE. And boyyyyyy, was the road to its release memorable. It seemed like January 2004 took FOREVER to finally get here, but just thinking about that trailer and finding out new tidbits from magazines like Nintendo Power and the very same Electronic Gaming Monthly issue pictured above made me even more excited for what awaited me. I just KNEW that THIS was going to be something special. Probably played a key factor in why it was my favorite game for a time. That's why simply thinking about Heroes these days brings good, good memories back to me every time. Those were certainly fun times.

As for my vote for most hilarious ShTH element...

3534hhw.jpg

"WHAT'S WRONG WITH COMMANDER TOWER'S FAAAAAAAAAAAACE?!"

So you want to give a mysterious, grizzled military official that's been out to get your game protagonist from stage 1 a sympathetic backstory by tying him to a character from your protagonist's past. All well and good, but THEN YOU MAKE HIS PAST FORM LOOK LIKE THIS. Between the dead, soulless expression, the horrifying wide-open mouth, the GIANT, DIFFERENTLY-COLORED BUG EYES, and just the low quality of the model in general, he looks more like one of the game's aliens than someone you're supposed to feel bad for. It's absolutely hysterical how much the flashback fails to have ANY impact JUST because of freakboy here. They seriously couldn't have made this model look ANY better? Even playing through the game for the first time in High School, I couldn't help but stifle a chuckle over how awful this looked. Talk about a Tower built on a shaky foundation.

• Thumbs Up 2

As with '06 I'm just going with a moment I found to be legitimately funny...

Also the "Strategy" music from Adventure 2 makes me feel nostalgic.

Honestly, I've never really found either games story to actually be bad, just kind of "meh" at worst. Which necessarily precludes me from getting much out of them in terms of "so bad it's good" humor.

DAY 13: "SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG: THIS IS WHO I AM! COMEDY TOUR" TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

http://youtu.be/w3Pn9k3EeN4

I think, "Where's that DAMN fourth chaos emerald" is the funniest thing. I mean, all the swearing just seemed so out of place, but this one sticks out the most, and the way the line is delivered, it's just hilarious. I think they should have either gone for a teen rating and had some harsher swearing, or not have any swearing at all, or at least not have it be so frequent.

Runners up would be, "You know what they say, the more the merrier." Repeated ad nauseam, and Sonic acting like a hyperactive 5 year old.

Day 13

Probably the most predictable answer you can think of; "DAMN!", "DAMN YOU", "DAMN, NOT HERE". It pains me to have to say something so obvious but, let's be honest, this game overall tried way too hard to be edgy that it's a parody of itself.....wait, actually, I think THAT wass the funniest thing about Shadow The Hedgehog. The way it tried to incorporate curse words and dark atmosphere into a property where such things are out of place, on paper just seems like an outright terrible idea, and it was; but alongside the cringe-worthy moments, there were moments where the execution is just so horrible that you cannot help but find it amusing. This ranges from the cursing (most notably "damn") to characters acting overly dramatic or just generally being hilarious in other ways. And Sonic saying damn was pretty funny too.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way it tried to incorporate curse words and dark atmosphere into a property where such things are out of place, on paper just seems like an outright terrible idea.

To be fair those things can work, but it's one of those things that is VERY easy to screw up if you don't have any sense of nuance or writing skill...which they didn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh...intentional or unintentional?

Intentionally, I think some of the voice clips in Hard Mode from the other cast members were quite amusing.

HOWEVER

https://youtu.be/jPWrHPNekvE?t=1m25s

What the hell is with that crazed face? Heeeeeeeere's Johnny Shadow!

And also this:

https://youtu.be/bD8ww82osbQ?t=4m48s

Oh God, it is SO cringeworthy bad, I can't help but laugh. Also, watching it now for the first time in years - Black Doom says they'll be completely paralysed. Rouge and Sonic still move their heads. Damn this game is sloppy.

Question #12: What is your most nostalgic memory with the franchise?

I would say the first 4 Sonic levels in Sonic 3 because they were my most strongest feelings for the game than. The music is the thing I get most nostalgy over as I remember playing it in my head repeatedly. I got lots of the nostalgy for Angel Island being the first place you start level than. I got strong feelings for Sonic 3D Blast since it was my first Sonic game ever. It is the music I have the most feeling for here. I not sure how to describe it. I not that good at describing these types of nostalgic emotion.

I pick Shadow's relationship with Silver. Even though this not official Sega story it is funny how Shadow and Silver interact in their relationship. I never played Shadow game and not have much thought to go with this. I like the where is that dang fourth chaos emerald and the find the computer room though not sure if Shadow related than.