Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Day 9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

Mushmeanie%27s_boring_day.png

Mushmeanie's best portrayal was clearly in Sonic Lost World. Sonic 3&K looks great, but I feel like the graphics of that time just couldn't convey how angry these mushroom robots are at the universe. Look at that glare. You can just feel the pure rage and hatred in that little robot. Chilling. I know I wouldn't want to run into that badnik without a way of defending myself, but even then, would I really stand a chance? Does anyone, at all, stand a chance in the face of such an angry soul (or programming, I suppose)?

In all seriousness, most of the characters I consider my favourites are fairly consistent, at least in terms of multiple continuities. Between games, one that comes to mind is Sonic in the Adventure games.

Sonic_Adventure_Sonic.jpg

They're pretty much my go-to games for how I think Sonic should be portrayed, though with some inspiration from the modern games. He's a guy who'll leap right into action without fear and actually shows off a bit of the temper that character bios swear up and down he has, but is generally laid back whenever he's not fighting bad guys. Give him some snarkiness and occasional moments of surprising wisdom (ala the Storybook games, and this is coming from someone who doesn't exactly have any attachment to those games' characterization) and I'd be good.

I like how he is in the Modern games too, mind you, it just doesn't quite match my ideal for the character. Within said era though, I think Lost World got him down really well, so I'm curious to see what happens with him in the next game. 

Of course, I also love how he's portrayed in the Archie comics' post-252 continuity, and while I used to be iffy on Sonic the Comic's take on him, the development he's got (and the situation he's in) in the Online continuation has actually warmed me up to him a lot. Most other portrayals I'm not really fond of, even the OVA (he's not terrible, just not really what I like about Sonic as a character).

Other than that...I dunno, it's kind of hard to answer this one. With the characters that come to mind, I usually consider their well-written roles to be the equally good without a clear favourite. Especially someone like Blaze who's actually pretty consistently good without any particularly bad appearances. So, yeah.

The runners up that I can think of are:

• Omega in the Archie comics. I'm fine with him in the games, but he's really entertaining in the comics.
  • Amy in Sonic Adventure 2. The only thing that would've made me love her more in that game would be if she had a playable role in the story mode of some kind, though I guess it wouldn't have fit the 3 vs 3.....structure, I guess?
  • Knuckles in Heroes: Weird choice, I know. I just really loved how he interacted with the other characters, he had some really fun moments. Despite it's problems story wise, Heroes actually had pretty endearing character interaction (some of the more generic (hints and the like) in-game dialogue aside).
  • Shadow in '06, amazingly enough. Though I do miss his arrogance in SA2...
  • Eggman in Sonic Labyrinth. His plan was ingenious, and I genuinely love that he didn't just take the chance to kill the sleeping Sonic instead of just switching his shoes around, because that'd be too easy! Plus he had to do something with that whole labyrinth, y'know? That game's story was the original defining moment for Eggman, clearly even though you had to read the manual to figure it out
Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 3

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

My favorite Sonic character is obviously Tails. But my favorite portrayal of him is tricky describe. I generally like for Tails to be portrayed as somebody who is smart but can fight and defend himself. I like for him to be shy but at the same time be willing to fight for what right. I like the portrayal of Tails to be able to fight just as strong like the other characters but have his intellect compliment him and be used to strengthen skills against opponents. I like Tails to be Tails! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Day IX: Preferred Portrayals

Michael Gallhger-era Sally. All Sally incarnations ('cept Fleetway cuz she didn't get 'nuff time to shine) are fun, but this bratty version had a "hug me" factor which would fit right in with the video game cast.  She showed a lot of depth as a person, a flawed paragon of freedom. 

Flynn's pre-252 Eggman, yessss... He's the Beast Megatron of Sonic, yessss.... Honorable mention to the STC version, who's sickeningly evil but in the end not that entertaining. 

DAY NINE: FAVORITE PORTRAYAL OF FAVORITE CHARACTER

This one's a bit difficult for me, to be honest. My favorite character, that being Knuckles, has a lot of different portrayals. Most of them I'm already a fan of in a great regard. 

But, if I could just bring up a portrayal of him I'm actually getting really interested in, it's his Boom incarnation.

Sure, he's not as serious as the likes of his Fleetway incarnation, nor does it seems he has much of a guardian duty like that of his Normal Sega incarnation, but it's a new take on the character that I seem to enjoy a lot. 

At times he can be a bit out there, with a certain flair of silliness that I can't really say I can't laugh with. He's just really, really funny in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 8: Which Game Do You Love While Everyone Else Hates It?

*glances around*

...sonic chronicles.

HOLD YOUR FIRE; I KNOW IT'S A WRECK OF A GAME. The music is bad, the graphics are below average, many dialogue options are highly OOC, etc. But despite all that, I kinda had fun with it. Beat it 3 times, in fact. I honestly don't know what occasionally draws me back to the game. after all this time i still suspect it's partially the alien designs. they may not be fitting in a Sonic game, but I find them pretty cool nonetheless.

Question 9: What is your favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

Favorite interpretation of Tails, eh? Well...I liked him in Colors as basically the polar opposite to Sonic's attitude; still love the scene where he walks over without Sonic knowing asking him why he's talking to dead robots. xP (That's all I can think of right now...I need to go to sleep anyways...)

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8

My favorite Sonic character is Blaze, but her only major roles are in the Rush series(pretty good as a foil to sonic and as her own character) Sonic 06(lol), and Black Knight(she sure did exist there) I don't really mind her not appearing very much, considering her role and everything, but there's not a lot to work with here.

942db38ef1d83c5fdba031950004fc8a.jpg

But yeah I liked her character and development in the Rush games. It wasn't a lot but I appreciated what was there. Rush Adventure especially.

As far as runner ups go...

tumblr_luu2x0rtPP1r6c9d8o1_400.jpg

OVA Sonic is by far the best Sonic, no question. Snarky, impulsive, kind of an ass, but he's a good guy underneath it all who'll do his best to help people. It's pretty much everything Sonic should be, IMO and the games don't really capture that at all.   

800px-Miles_Electric_Sonic_Colors_Bugs.p

I'll be the odd man out and say I liked Tails the best in Colors. He actually acts like a brother to Sonic in that game with the constant back and forth. He doesn't really idolize Sonic anymore and isn't afraid to call out his faults, which I like.

maxresdefault.jpg

I dump on the Adventure games's plots a lot but Amy is actually pretty great in those. She was pretty charming despite her occasional airheaded moments and it actually felt like she grew up a lot across both games. 

And Eggman is a character I like seeing in pretty much every game he's in, bar 06. Whether he's more serious and threatening or acting silly, he's fun to watch. I like that about him a lot. 

• Thumbs Up 4

If I'm gonna be totally honest... none of the Sonic cast super stand out to me? Yeah they're not bad characters themselves, but I feel the inconsistent quality in writing and characterisation makes it difficult to enjoy them fully. Games don't tend to have great stories where the characters develop much either. But I think the one game which has some of the best versions of all the cast contains what's likely my favourite character to have graced the series:

250px-Sonicchannel_emerl.png

Emerl comes in a total mystery as a really cool concept - an ancient robot weapon who lost his original destructive programming and adapts the personalities and abilities of those around him. Thanks to this, not only does using him with the concept of the gameplay show a constant idea of evolution and growth in both the character's strength and the player's ability, it also shows story wise as he adapts the personalities and language traits of the other characters. Obviously his master provides his biggest influence, but watching his story unfold as he becomes more literate and chatty and almost grows up from child to adult is something awesome to see in a Sonic game.

And of course, because of all this his ultimate demise is made that much sadder when you have to put down the crazy destructive version of the Gizoid on top the new ultimate weapon ship Eggman created. This fight not only shows his overwhelming power but also makes him pretty intimidating, reminding you what he really is. But even past Sonic Battle, there's a little bit of consistency here and there for Emerl. Since he was made into the newly created Gemerl with his remaining data in Advance 3, he gets a tiny bit of closure there in his good ending as they program him to once again be friendly. 

So er, yeah. Battle contains my favourite character, and my favourite (and only...) interpretation of him.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 9: Favorite portrayal *there... honestly aren't many places to pull from sadly...* of your favorite character?

SONIC-BOOM-TV-SERIES.jpeg

Tails in Boom (TV series)

You know, it's only been recently that I started to consider Tails my favorite out of the bunch. For the most part, I use to just generally like all of them. Though, Tails has been seriously picking up the slack since Generations. Since he's had more time in the spotlight, he's had more time to grow on me. This has all come to peak in Boom where he's generally funny and likeable most of the time. You also really see how he's grown from SA1. He doesn't look to Sonic for every answer now. While he's still the sidekick (there's a whole episode for that), he still has grown to the point of questioning Sonic at points which is HUGE development compared to how he was in SA1. I also find it hilarious that he usually just ends up being neutral in most of the team's arguments; really fits the character to be honest.

He's literally one of the only characters we've seen grow throughout the series and Boom just cemented that fact for me; making him my favorite so far in the series. ...and no, it's not just because these are new writers (not to mention the many in between them and the SA1 ones) and probably don't even know/ care about his past! shut up and let me have this! :V

• Thumbs Up 6

Question #9: What's your absolute favorite portrayal of your top favorite character?

Oh god! Huh? Well I have to say my favorite Sonic character is Silver The Hedgehog. More specifically though the Sonic Archie series Silver The Hedgehog. Why? Because he seems more better in terms of character development and he just seems cooler to be honest. He almost makes me forget what Silver's quote on quote first game was. Which was actually Sonic Rivals in terms of story and timeline. But that's a story and a paradox for another time. Anyway what I was saying before. I like the Archie Silver The Hedgehog because he's just a better character than his video game counter part and he's reminds me alot about Sonic and Shadow in alot of ways. But that would take to long to explain so I'm not going there. :)

Over all Silver on the Sonic Archie comic series is a pretty great character one I love to see return in the comics. And maybe even return in a game someday with them using this version of Silver The Hedgehog. :)

With all that said! See ya all later! :)

Day 9: Top Portrayal of Favorite Character

Shadow was my favorite for a while.

And his best performance is his debut performance. He came off as intelligent as much as malicious, whereas later performances (in large part due to new voices) made him sound overly angry, angsty, etc. Humphrey's performance was the best in my opinion for this reason; Shadow is a character rather than a caricature. He had a full range of emotions.

It's apparent early on that Shadow's not really evil, so much as horribly confused. He is incredibly devoted to the few people he lets get close to him, and if that person wishes him to destroy the world, he would do it to honor their dying wish. Sure, some say that's insane, but we don't always act rationally when it comes to those we care about (and for the sake of not making this topic bleak, I won't go into details with examples... use your imagination. Or PM me if you're that curious but be warned it's a heavy example).

Then there's that one scene near the end. Shadow has come off as incredibly cold the whole game, willing to throw lives away in pursuit of his twistedly altruistic goal, but then he remembers what Maria really wanted... and he sheds a tear when he realizes just how close he came to destroying the world she loved. He immediately takes off to correct this mistake.

And in a redemption equating to death situation, he "dies" at the end of it all, having given everything he had to keep the Final Hazard from blowing the planet up. He went full circle from destroying the world to saving it, all for the sake of making sure a friend's last wish would be granted. Sure, he's a bit psychotic in his pursuit of the first interpretation of this wish (it would take a split second to realize "Hey, this person wanted billions of people to die... maybe the immorality of the request outweighs my duties to this person), but you can't say he's not devoted.

...and then he comes back. And I think it's awful where he goes from there. But that's for another time.

Day 9 - Mambo's Most Predictable Post Ever

Like, guys... do I really need to tell you? I'm sure I posted this stuff last year! :D

ae7cc7b9-46e2-4076-8665-1be86b50a002_zps

Sorry if this surprises no-one, but I think Sonic the Comic's version of Amy kicks butt. :D

Back in the 90s Amy was a pretty minor character; sure, she's in Sonic CD (and in the US manual she was referred to as Sally FFS!) but apart from that her only major appearance before Sonic Adventure is in StC. And they turned her into one of the most important characters of the comic. Out of that little sprite there wasn't much to go on in terms of developing her personality and character, so the writers could mould her into something different. STC's Amy is a leader; she's basically in charge when Sonic's not around, and she was the one to persuade the people to resist in the runup to issue 100 and the booting-out of Robotnik. Her weapon is unique; written years before the Piko Piko Hammer was a thing, STC Amy has a crossbow.... cause it's yknow... a pun... Amy... aim... geddit. Dohoho! Plus it's awesome! :D Archery is by no means an easy hobby, and Amy does it really fuckin well!

She's also unique in terms of design from other versions thanks to (I suspect!) an artist error based on artwork from Sonic CD;

c16e6143-a985-4fa7-883d-2d925a9de9fd_zps

I know I'm supposed to interpret those spikes as moving backwards as Sonic is moving forwards, but thanks to STC I can't help but see them as their Amy's spikey mohawk... the other changes they made like amusing t-shirts and combat pants would come later, but they just sort of make sense to me. Amy in STC was a much more active character than the Sega version at the time, and a frilly skirt and cute blouse just didn't seem dynamic enough.

As much as Amy was brought back into the limelight from Sonic Adventure onwards, STC's version of her will always be my favourite. :B

Runners up:

sonic-ova-sonic-middle-finger-o.gif

This little shit.

I see a lot of people have posted this too, but yeah... Sonic's such a git in the OVA. When folks say STC Sonic is a dick (and he is, don't get me wrong....) and they don't think that's Sonicy enough, I think of how he was in the OVA. He tells Tails to shut up, he's easily irritated, he's arrogant and snarky, and he wants to take Metal on by himself; it's his fight dammit, he's the hero!... He's just like STC Sonic, and I love it! :D

And then there is this little shit:

tumblr_mt4kqy47s51sxudx7o1_400.gif

Nasally-speaking, toe-tapping, frequently cross-dressing AoSTH Sonic. He's loveable, he's cool, he scarfs chili dogs by the ton and he loves taking the piss out of Robuttnik. This is the Sonic I was most familiar with before becoming a STC nut! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 9: Favorite interpretation of favorite character

I'm definitely going with Knuckles in Chronicles for this one. I know that a lot of Sonic fans bash Chronicles, and I can see where they're coming from in terms of gameplay, graphics and music. But when it comes to Knuckles' characterization I highly disagree.

By the time Chronicles came out, Knuckles was being written as a butt monkey in the games, but chronicles defies that by portraying him as the cool and serious badass that I always loved. That and while the game may have Sonic's name in the title, Knuckles is arguably the true main character.

Why? Because throughout the games story, it focuses on developing Knuckles and his feelings towards the Nocturnus. In the beginning he's overwhelmed by them and kicked off his own island as a result. Thus, when Sonic and the gang find him, he's ready to kick their asses just like he would to any other bad guy. But then he finds out that they're all echidnas, and as you can guess he's really thrown off and rather crushed by this. I mean think about it, the guy spent his whole life thinking he's the last of his kind, and here come the Nocturnus, all echidnas, and they're all evil. But in spite of that, instead just wanting to take them down Knuckles now wants to do what he can to sort things out with Ix and the rest of the Nocturnus tribe.

Even though Shade, Sonic, and the rest of the gang know that Ix is clearly off his rocker, Knuckles is still not willing to give up on him because even though he's from an entirely different tribe, Knuckles still believes that there's a chance that he Ix and the rest of the Nocturnus can live together peacefully.

Not only that but this also shows how much of a parallel Ix is to Knuckles. Knuckles spent his whole life on Angel Island alone but he's just as strong mentally as he is physically , and despite making Sonic and Tails' lives a living hell when he first met them, Knuckles is more than willing to help people, even if they antagonized him (remember when he saved Rouge in SA2?). Ix on the other hand, spent centuries in the twilight cage with his own people but he went insane, and though he claims to have his people's best interests at heart, it's clear that he only gives a damn about his own agenda and his alone.

Again, I get that a lot of people have gripes with Chronicles, but what they did with Knuckles was incredible. Which makes me all the more bummed that a sequel won't be made.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oy, this is hard. On the one hand, there's Blaze (who's only been a major player in three games, one of which is ultimately irrelevant), and on the other, there's Zavok (whose resume thus far consists of Lost World and the ongoing Worlds Unite, which I most likely won't get to read for a whole year or so thanks to reading Mega Man in the UK via graphic novels).

So I'm guessing Zavok's Lost World portrayal works fine. It shows he's intelligent, sinister, cunning and calm, but can be very, very nasty if you get him mad. And when Sonic's friends start dying, Zavok shows up to taunt Sonic. To quote Mr. Plinkett, he's fucking evil and he loves it.

But he's also got a soft side somewhere in him, and where else is that in but with his teammates, especially Master Zik. He genuinely respects the guy (and the feelings are mutual, too) and while he gets mad at the Six, he's not abusive to them like, say, Boom!Eggman to Orbot and Cubot. In most other games, he'd probably be despised by the other five and plotting to backstab his master (who'd probably drop him when his usefulness ended), but that's not the case here. So while he is evil, he's also got some good in him, elevating him above the likes of Mephiles and Nega.

Day 9

Well, without a shadow of a doubt, I think I will have to say Sir Michael Pollock's Eggman from is my favourite interpretation of any Sonic character. Now this might technically count as favourite voice actor, but I feel that Pollock's Eggman really exists as its own iteration of the character due to how he has become synonymous with the good doctor.

Firstly, Eggman has always been a somewhat goofy villain in the main canon. He can be loud, eccentric, and pompous, and even positively batshit insane at times. There have been many different takes on this, some prioritising specific traits over others, but Pollock's iteration of the character brings all of Eggman's characteristics together in perfect harmony and absolutely nails them to a tee. Unlike SatAM Robotnik, he's not too dark, but at the same time, unlike AoSTH Robotnik, he's not a complete doof (though I do have a place in my heart for that iteration too). He is absolutely eccentric, constantly brandishing his genius as well as sometimes being 'slightly' too big for his boots with his enormous ego. Oh, and he's definitely loud. I'm surprised that Pollock doesn't hurt his thirst when he does that glorious laugh. As for the pompous thing.....well, Eggman is 'big-boned' by default. Overall, Mike's version of Eggman, despite being a villain, is probably the most likability character in the whole series for me.

Honourable mentions go to:

Boom Eggman. Basically similar to main series Pollock Eggman but less serious.

Boom Knuckles. Now this might be a controversial one because in Sonic Boom, Knuckles is, simply put, a complete and utter idiot. Usually the idiot character gets annoying or us a really shallow attempt at humour, but the writing team behind the series pull Knuckles off so god damn well that it's beyond an exception for me. This is by far my favourite interpretation of Knux, because he's so lovably stupid, and the humour involving him is tasteful and well written.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question 9

My favourite character is Tails, but my favourite versions are actually not from the game. I loved how he was in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, but...yeah, you all know what I think about the most recent version of that Tails. So, here they are; my two favourite Tails(es) in joint place with each other.

OVA Tails

LjMaFeb.jpg

A child-like ditzy genius. I love this kind of character. And his interactions with that slightly cockier version of Sonic and more friendly version of the red echidna play so well. A great mind, but still prone to tantrums every once in a while, especially when the blue hedgehog showboating nature goes out of control. He might fight against Eggman any time of the day but show him a thunder and he would shiver in fear. That's adorable. I'd have loved to see more of this version of Tails, but maybe it's better this way. Funny enough, I can actually see this Miles growing up to resemble the Sonic Boom Tails, another version  I'm actually finding myself liking but I still think it's soon to judge.

Sonic X Tails

wFNQDfB.jpg

Ok.

in the first (two) season(s), Tails was nothing to write home about. He was just...there. I mean, Sonic's sidekick and best friend was a human kid. Aside from the Adventure adaptation, this Tails was really. Really. REALLY. bland.

But then came the following season. The one with Cosmo and the Metarex. Now, a little bit of clarification here; I never watched the 4Kids version of that season. I watched a subbed version of the French dub instead. I don't even think an English dub existed at the time, and the Italian dub came years after.

This Tails was still childlike, kind and humble. He loved his friends, and helped them out with his big brain. But the episode that made me a fan of this version of Tails? Episode 73 "Shadow the Assassin".  In this episode, Shadow fights against every single character aboard of the Blue Typhoon, defeating them with ease (Even Sonic. Yeah, Sonic X's Shadow was a little bit overpowered) just to try to kill Cosmo, for reasons revealed later in the episode. Of course, Tails doesn't stand a chance against the black hedgehog, but he keeps coming back, getting back on his feet, until he's just a bloody (ok, a few bruises, it's still Sonic X, after all) mess.

And the best part? If it wasn't for Shadow's Chaos Control, he would have defeated him, by shooting him in space with the Sonic Driver.

It's mostly nostalgia speaking here, though. I loved Season 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

SHIT SHIT SHIT, LAST MINUTE REPLY, DON'T HIT ME, CRUSHER-SAN.

Day 7 - Which character(s) do you think would have the easiest time adjusting to the real world?

Amy_SA_Fin.png

"MOVE OUT THE WAY, ASSHOLE."

Imma say everyone's(?) favorite cute little stalker, Amy. Seeing her with a bag of groceries in her SA1 introduction makes me think she's the most domesticated of the anthros, as in she probably owns a house and... has a job at age 12? I dunno, I'd say she's mature for her age.

Day 8 - Which generally disliked games do you like regardless?

12620131313321.jpg

#IizukaDidNothingWrong

I don't care how many people say this game is a failed Mario Galaxy clone, a terrible Sonic game, too technical to be fun, etc., I really don't care. This game is special to me. It's the first main series game that I was a member of SSMB during the wait for it, and remembering how hyped everyone was for it reminds me how awesome we are when we're actually positive about the series for once. Great memories like Hogfather's hype train, getting excited whenever new details and levels were revealed and screenshots and gameplay were released. Those were the best times I had on this forum.

As for the actual game, it hit the spot for me personally. Yes, I'll admit that the controls were tricky at first and wall running controlled like ass, but once I got used to how Sonic moves here, I had such a blast, and in my opinion, this game has the, for lack of a better word, smoothest 2.5D platforming of any modern Sonic game. It's got block platforming like Unleashed, Colors and Generations, but unlike those games, I rarely ever missed a platform due to undershooting or overshooting a jump, because jumping allowed so much control from the player. For me, the game lived up to its hype. It was the first game I played and 100%'d when I first got Nintendo's Wii + iPad bundle.

Day 9 - What's your absolute favorite portrayal of your top favorite character?

nbzzio.png

Fun Fact: You can't look at the middle image without thinking of Komodin

This Sonic is like Dreamcast-era Sonic with his "friends are important" mindset bumped up to eleven. He's got the badassery, sass and cockiness that Sonic was famous for in the 90s, and he also prioritizes helping Chip find his lost memory on top of stoping Eggman's plot of the week. Jason Griffith was a meh Sonic to me, but he did a pretty decent job for this game. I'd love Sonic to go back to being cocky but caring again for the next and onwards.

I just love how Sonic gladly hands Chip his half of the coconut. If it were Lost World's or Boom's Sonic, he would've scoffed and reluctantly tossed it to Chip, making me wanna give him a slap on the wrist.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 7: Character That Would Adjust the Easiest to Our World

Eggman. Just, simply put, Eggman. He's the only human in the Sonic world so I can only assume he would adjust easily. I mean, in the games he's quite like a normal person, except with the thirst of ruling the world and destroying a hedgehog of all things. So, he might get put in an asylum, but he'll easily adjust to everything, I'm sure. Also, would it count to say another reason is because in the short Man of the Year and in the Adventure games he's seen in a world with humans, therefore he should know how to act around them in public? Eh, I think it counts.

Day 8: What Disliked Games Do You Like?

KrOPLjn.png

Well, seeing as many people on here hate Sonic Advance 2 for some reason... I'll say that. Sonic Advance 2. I don't care that the Chaos Emeralds are a bitch to get. I find the stages really fun and exciting, especially since that game introduced that "mach speed" type of gameplay we later saw evolve into the boost games. Going so fast is thrilling, and the bosses, although kinda cheap at times were still pretty fun. 

As for other games, well.. Sonic 06 and Rise of Lyric were enjoyable to me. I didn't really hate them. Then again, there's only one game I actually dislike a lot in the Sonic franchise and that's Advance 3. Everything else is actually fun to me. So although 06 is in my worst Sonic games list, I still like it and have fun with it. It's just not the best, you know? 

Day 9: Favourite Interpretation of My Favourite Character

I've said this times and times again, but Knuckles from Sonic Boom is just *mwah*. Nothing can top him for me.

MllPXcq.png

I mean just look at him. Look at his cute little face. :3 I lllooovveeee Boom Knuckles so much. He's such a fun character. People complain about how stupid he is but I like it. Almost all of the jokes involving him are great and get a chuckle out of me. That particular cake scene had me laughing for like, 2 minutes straight. I also really like his design. Many don't like his overly buff look but I think it suits him. Plus it makes sense for him to be strong, unlike SEGA Knuckles who has noodle arms. :V Not that SEGA Knuckles has a bad design, but yeah. I like Boom Knuckles better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was sick for 2 days, but I'm back

Question #8: Which generally disliked games do you like regardless?

NOTE #1: For clarification's sake, I'm talking about examples that you genuinely like, as opposed to examples that you like in the "ironic" sense. (Eg: I'll hold my hands in the air and admit that I do have a little bit of fun with both Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06, but I still wouldn't personally think of them as games that I like-like, and so those two wouldn't fit as my answers for what I'm actually asking.)
NOTE #2: Now this isn't a real rule or anything, since this would naturally be a hard thing to truly decipher, so don't worry about it too much, but if you can, try to think of examples that you believe are indeed disliked by the great majority, as opposed to examples that merely have an overall controversial/half and half/love it or hate it reception.

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

I like several of Sonic's first tries at different genres:

Sonic Drift 1, Sonic Drift 2, and Sonic R

Drift2.pngSonic_R.jpg

Before Sonic and All-Stars Racing, these were the only Sonic racing games that existed.

I don’t really have a problem with any of these games.

I remember playing Sonic R multiple times on my Sega Saturn and unlocking all the characters over and over again (because I didn’t have a memory card). I actually liked the music of some of the levels.

I haven’t played the Drift Games in a while but I remember playing Drift 2 on a Game Gear in the mall while in JCP. I liked how the courses were based off of levels in other Sonic games and I believe some of them were original.

Sonic Shuffle

tumblr_mnh0do9AQ41st647so5_500.png

"Hey, Sonic. Wanna see a magic trick?"

As I mentioned before, this is one of the hardest Sonic games and probably one of the few Sonic games to make me experience extreme feels. However, for Sonic’s first attempt at a Party game, I actually still like it.

The story is interesting, the music is unique, the art style is unique, and most of the mini-games and events are fun (except for the alligator and Riot Train End Board ones).

Heck, even using the Eggman Card can be exciting as you spin the wheel of misfortunate and hear him say “What evil invention should I use this time?”

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Sonic’s first attempt at a RPG also wasn’t too bad. 

I liked how Bioware tried to bring elements from the shows, comics, and games (although they should have done more research).

I also liked how the Chao were power-ups in this game.

Sonic Generations (3DS Version)

320px-SonicGenerations_3DS_title.png

When I got my 3DS XL for Christmas 2 years ago, I wasn’t sure whether I wanted Sonic Generations or Paper Mario: Sticker Star as my first 3DS game. When I asked online, however, it seemed like both games weren’t received well.

To make a long story short, I enjoyed both games.

While I wished there were more Handheld Games represented, I had fun going through the exclusive Levels and bosses, Special Stages, Missions, and VS Mode.

Speaking of VS Mode, I liked how you could decorate your VS Profile with your favorite Sonic game and other information.

Sonic in Sonic Unleashed

0.jpg

My favorite portrayal of my favorite Sonic character is Sonic in Sonic Unleashed.

Whether he's a Hedgehog or Werehog, Sonic is always happy to help those in need, whether it involves Eggman robots and Dark Gaia Minions or just retrieving an item for someone.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 9: My favorite portrayal of my favorite character: 

My favorite Sonic has to be Archie. (Flynn, specifically)

I love Archie!Sonic because of his compassionate side: he's always looking out for his friends and never hesitates to help them out, such as when he offered to throw the title match in Champions to give Knuckles a head start. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

Big_heroes.png

Big in Sonic Heroes(I'm starting to notice a pattern in my post, heh) is my favorite version of him.

He gets to show off his massive strength here, playing him is absolute blast here and he wins out a wind powerful enough to blow someone into the air.

You also get to see sides of Big you don't usually see, he actually gets both sad and angry here, while still remaining as laidback as ever.

But the best thing is how much he cares about his teamates and Froggy, you can really see he gots their backs with what he says  and what he does.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 9! Top portrayal of favorite character!

I really liked Knuckles in the Sonic Adventure games, specifically the first one. Sure he got tricked by Dr Eggman for the umpteenth time but I really liked how he wasn't nearly as aggressive and show offy as in the later games, and definitely not portrayed as an idiot. *insert SHUT UP meme here* In fact he was pretty calm most of the time! He had a kinda laid back, cool personality which is rarely seen nowadays and only got aggressive when somebody got in his way. I think the voice actor at the time, Michael Mcgaharn, really helped make the character so good and it's a shame he didn't reprise his role afterwards (I do like Scott Dreier).

I like this calmer, cooler, smarter yet also naive Knuckles. I wish he wasn't portrayed as such a clown nowadays...

sadxdc_knuckles_winner.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #9 - Favorite Portrayal of a character?

Boom!Eggman - Boom gave Eggman A LOT of wonderful scenes, from his crashing at Sonic's house, his evil ham, the whole Cowbot fiasco, the list goes on. It's a good thing too, because Eggman is a great character overall, but there's only so much you can do with him on a game, this being a show gives them a lot more of space to make jokes with him, I mean, could you see the ''Evil Ham'' joke or the Evil Pjs working anywhere BUT the cartoon? It does help a lot that Eggman's already hammy performance is up to eleven here, making him steal the show in almost every episode.

Day 9: Favourite Character Portrayal

Sonic_Unleashed_-_Sonic_Teaser_Render.pn

Sonic Unleashed Sonic

As well as being the debut of my favourite Sonic design, Sonic Unleashed for me has the best portrayal of Sonic's character. He's particularly rounded in character this time around.

He's the wisecracking confident type we know him for when he's up against Eggman, he's relaxed and friendly around Chip and the various townsfolk, he shows genuine sadness when Amy doesn't even recognise him in his Werehog form and complete determination when he takes on Perfect Dark Gia. For me, this is the most they've ever done with Sonic's character in the games. Lost World gets an honourable mention as it did try to bring back a little bit of variety with Sonic facing the consequences of his actions over the course of the game but Unleashed definitely wins it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 9: My Favorite Portrayal of my Favorite Character

Knuckles_49.png

"I am one with the Master Emerald." - Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 2

Adventure 2 is by far and away my favorite portrayal of Knuckles. He's tough, clever, serious, determined, laid back, honorable, independent, and cool under pressure. He's everything modern Knuckles is not. He's not a hothead, he's not a braggart, and he's sure as hell not stupid. He's actually a rather admirable character in many respects, as opposed someone for you to just point and laugh at.

MllPXcq.png

R.I.P. Knuckles' dignity 1994-2009

Scott Dreier's performance just makes everything so much better. He makes Knuckles sound tough, serious, and even a little bit authoritative, like his words carry weight.

Really though SA2 had the best portrayal of pretty much every character who was in it, with the exception of Sonic, in whose case Adventure 2 plays first runner-up to the Storybooks, and maybe Shadow, for whom '06 is a strong competitor (though it's rather hard to compare the two given the amount of character development that occurred in the interim). I don't think it's coincidence that Shiro Maekawa (what happened to him?) was responsible for all of them.

• Thumbs Up 2