Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Day 10: Favourite TV episode

Hard one. I enjoyed AOSTH so could be one of them, SATAM was ok but none stick out, never watched Underground, X had a few good ones and Boom is the worst show I've ever watched and ever will. Hmmm..... Let's go with...

hqdefault.jpg

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog's Mystery of the Missing Hi-Tops. What a funny episode. We get a fan girl who changed her name to "Sonette" (That's how you fan girl Amy :-p), the idea of a giant guy called HodgePodge being able to sneak into Sonic's room and put his shoes on, Sonic being a sleuth and using his brain, Robotnik being his usual self and Coconuts smacking Sonic with a bed. Fantastically fun, makes me laugh every time. Boom should learn from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I'm going to cheat a bit and say my favourite is the four episode saga, The Quest Of The Chaos Emeralds from Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog.

Believe it or not, this was one of the other choices I was indecisive about. Picking my choice wasn't easy. :lol: But yeah, I enjoy this four part saga as well. Shows that AoStH!Robotnik has his own dangerous moments as well.

Supreme_High_Robotnik_v2.png

Supreme High Robotnik was the ORIGINAL giant monster.

First off, Crusher, If that's a Mr.Bean picture, you've earned cool points in my book.

It is, yeah. :P It's from Back to School, Mr. Bean, one of my favourite episodes (which isn't saying much since I enjoy all the episodes anyway, but still).

• Thumbs Up 7

Believe it or not, this was one of the other choices I was indecisive about. Picking my choice wasn't easy. :lol: But yeah, I enjoy this four part saga as well. Shows that AoStH!Robotnik has his own dangerous moments as well.

Supreme High Robotnik was the ORIGINAL giant monster.

It is, yeah. :P It's from Back to School, Mr. Bean, one of my favourite episodes (which isn't saying much since I enjoy all the episodes anyway, but still).

Well, I surely am behind. I've had camp the past couple of days and have barely had any time at home, so here we go as I catch up.

Question Numero Sevente: Which Sonic character would have an easy time fitting on the real world?

I'm gonna be for real here when I say Big. He's a giant cat for Pete's sake. People love cats. Just imagine if you saw a giant purple cat walking down the street, instinct is that you would hug him. He is like Clifford the Big Red Dog, the hero we all deserve. Aside from that. I'd imagine he'd have a good time in the fishing/boating business, maybe make his own fish company.

Question Numero Ocho: Which generally disliked Sonic game do you actually enjoy?

500px-Sonic_Riders_GameCube_Boxart..jpg

Sonic Riders, yo. I adored this game the moment I got it when it came out. Despite the fact it got relatively mediocre reviews and is still greatly overlooked in comparision to other racing games, I stll had tons of fun playing this.

Check. Great visuals and track tropes? Check. Catchy and highly memorable music as usual for a Sonic game? Check. Tons of replay value along with many vehicles to unlock? Check, The hoverboard gimmick is what I loved most about this game, and how it tried to separate itself from the crowd of most mascot racing games in that regard deserves respect on its own.

I was hyped as hell for Zero Gravity when it was announced as well, and despite being disappointed by that game and later Free Riders, this game still holds a place in my heart despite how bad Sonic's 15th anniversary would later turn out. Really hope it gets some sort of reissue, or some sort of more positive recognition. Sonic Riders HD or Sonic Riders 4, anybody?

Question Numero Nueve: What's your absolute favorite portrayal of your top favorite character?

Sonic has been and probably always will be my favorite character in the entire series. Many have said the OVA, and I'd definitely have to agree on his portrayal in that film being my ideal Sonic. Snarky, bit of a smartass, but still caring for his friends and having a sense of high morale and justice. Boom!Sonic and Sonic in Unleashed are some runner ups as well.

Question Numero Diez: Favorite episode from a Sonic cartoon?

I'm gonna be cheap here and go all out by saying the Sonic OVA. I think it's outright the best piece of animated Sonic media to date. Awesome animation, a nimble sense of humor that fits the Sonic universe well, gorgeous visuals and locales, almost pitch perfect portrayals of all the characters, kickass music, I could go on for a while. It's a shame the OVA never took off in Japan, there was gonna be a full series if the first two OVA episodes were successful. But considering Sonic's high amount of unpopularity in Japan, what happened was obvious. Really sad though, it's a great piece of work.

(now for me to never use Spanish numbers after this)

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #10: What's your top favorite episode out of ALL cartoon episodes?

Well I have to say Hedgehog Day from the TV show Sonic Boom is my favorite episode. Because it's just a funny and very weird episode to be honest which is why I love it! :) I also like the fact it uses the day Groundhog day and switches it to the name Hedgehog day I thought that was also really cool. :)

All around it's just a cool episode! :) And I will watch it again. ;)

Day 10: My Favorite Episode of a Sonic Cartoon

I... can't say... I mostly ignore alt. media Sonic stuff. I've seen a few episodes of Boom, one or two of X, and I saw an episode of Adventures when I was like 7 or 8 (which I only remember because it was the first time I'd heard the name Dr. Robotnik). So, um, my favorite episode of an animated Sonic series? Uh... Nazo Unleashed: Part 3?

Why? Hyper Knuckles, that's why.

As far as official cartoons go though? I'll have to go with that one episode of X where Sonic can't stop running (Dunno it's name). It's only episode of any Sonic show I've seen all the way through and didn't cringe at, so it kind of wins by default.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 10: Favorite Sonic episode *... do you know how many there are to choose from? 0_0* EVER?

hqdefault.jpg

Sonic SatAM Episode 17+18: Blast to The Past

This may bend the question a bit as it's really a 2 parter but since the story caries over... I think it counts! I remember watching these episodes and just being blown away. SatAM was literally everything I had wanted from a Sonic story line back when I was still new to the series and these episodes just made that point more clear. Going back to when the whole fight with Robotnik began (at least in this universe) was just a joy to watch. You've been invested in this universe for over 17 episodes at this point and to just see how it all went bad was great. These episodes carried all the beats that I loved from the series and even managed to tug at the heart strings at points. if you haven't sat through this series then I HIGHLY recommend it. Really puts these two gems in an even better light if you've watched it that far. To this day, I still think SatAM is the best Sonic cartoon to date and this two parter just cements that fact for me. Boom might change that for me but I really don't see it happening anytime soon.

Runner up: Sonic X Episode 20, Cruise Blues

• Thumbs Up 3

Question #10: What's your top favourite episode out of ALL cartoon episodes?

I not have a particular favorite episode but I have favorite scenes from various episodes. I like episode in Sonic X where Amy lost her temper because Dr. Eggman and his robots made fun of her because Sonic not show up. I liked how she threw her hammer and they thought she was defenseless because her hammer was smashed into their ship. Then she makes another hammer appear was real funny. There was another scene in that same episode where Knuckles and Rouge was fighting that I thought was nice and showed they had a thing for each other there. It showed their other personality traits than. Finally at the end it showed Sonic and Amy where they hugged it out because Amy was happy to see Sonic and he was happy to see Amy though not as aggressive like she was. It was nice episode and great than.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 9: Favorite portrayal of your favorite character

Ok I give up. I would've liked to give credit to Big, who's my favorite character, but, he's Big, none of his portrayals are particularly noteworthy. I might've made a case for Sonic X, since I do remember liking him in that, but I'm too lazy to really skim through the show to refresh my memory, plus it's not like he was any more interesting.

So instead consider this a public service announcement on why Sonic and the Black Knight's writing is amazing!

Sonic's character in Black Knight is my favorite portrayal if him in the whole series. It perfectly captures the fun hammy-ness of Sonic's personality without being too cheesy or unaware of itself, and it shows his humanity more than any other game in the franchise. It's his portrayal in this game that gives Sonic some emotion. He's always sharing little heart-to-heart moments with each character in the game, and we get to see his character shine through his interactions with them.

His relationship with Caliburn shows off Sonic's cocky and defiant "too cool 4 school" attitude, with how the two constantly butt heads with Sonic acting arrogant and sure of himself in the face of Caliburn's stern mentoring.

His relationship with Merlina shows what it means to be a hero to Sonic; even showing us a bit of his philosophy; what his values are. How he values freedom above all other things and living life to it's fullest.

His relationship with the stories inhabitants shows off Sonic's heroism and constant willingness to help those in need. We see how he prioritizes doing what he believes is right vs working towards his own personal goals, such as when he risks the possibility of being unable to complete The Lady of the Lake's trials in order to save a group of villagers. How he plays by his own rules, and how he forces his way down his own path and does it all himself, and how he will defy anyone that tries to stand in his way to grab hold of that path.

He's full of emotion in this game and it's what fleshes out his simple, yet endearing character and gives him a lot of humanity and heart, but also perfectly balances it with his laid back, cool attitude, making this game the most defining character moment for Sonic.

Day 10: What's your top favourite episode out of ALL cartoon episodes?

Oh come on now! That's not even fair! How am I supposed to remember all those cartoons? How do you know I haven't even watched any of them or even liked any of them?

Well you know what? I do like one episode especially and I'm gonna talk about it, ok?

SX70.jpg

Er... Sonic X Episode 70: Terror on the Typhoon

Season 3 of Sonic X really breathed new life into this otherwise mediocre show and is my personal favorite arc of the series for episodes like this.

A quick synopsis: The crew of the Blue Typhoon get lured into a perilous plasma cloud where they are ambushed by the Metarex fleet, now being led by Dr Eggman himself.

This episode is honestly pretty damn intense (as far as this shows standards are concerned), the heroes are stuck between a rock and a hard place, they're grossly out-gunned and out of time and Tails, as captain, is pushed to his limits to find a way out alive. All the while Eggman yucks up every moment as commander, even when the Blue Typhoon inevitably escapes, he enjoys his moment of power leading the immensely powerful alien star fleet. What I like so much about this episode is how well it holds your suspense, and how they narrowly escape the attack with what little option and energy they have left. It also gives Tails a good day in the limelight, having to deal with the pressure of being the leader in a high pressure situation and finding encouragement to push through thanks to Cosmo. Overall a very intense episode with good character moments all around.

Honorable mentions:

Episode 1: Chaos Control Freaks - as the introduction the series the screenplay is pretty damn good compared to the rest of the show. Pacing is really good, and Sonic's race with the S Team, and his sonic boom are easily one of the best moments of the series.

Episode 20: Cruise Blues - Easily one of the funniest episodes in all of Sonic's tv shows. Sonic's utterly crazy attempts at sabotaging the cruise just escape being surrounded by water made for some hilarious scenes.

Episode 73: The Cosmo Conspiracy - Shadow goes full fucking crazy and rampages through the Blue Typhoon trying to kill Cosmo. Yet another Tails centric episode that once again gives him a lot of good character moments, what with managing to out maneuver Shadow so effectively. Knuckles also gets a moment to really shine with Sonic being taken out of the picture early on, and he puts up a damn good fight, even if Shadow had the God Mode switch turned on for the episode. Funnily enough Shadow himself is both the best and worst thing about this episode; he's incredibly overpowered this time and the way he quite literally refuses to explain his actions to anyone (in the dub at least) is honestly stupid, but it's still immensely awesome watching him go into full on Predator mode.

The Quest Of The Chaos Emeralds from Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog - Almost forgot about this one. Easily the best thing to come out of that show. Great story on top of the slapstick humor, and a beautiful animation bump all the way through. Only downside is that the last fight with Robotnik is pretty anti-climatic for such a big build up.

• Thumbs Up 4

Playing catch up a little bit.

Question #9: What's your absolute favourite portrayal of your top favourite character?

Sonic and Shadow are consistently vying for my top favorite, so I'll talk about both:

Sonic was harder to discern because he's had a multitude of strong portrayals but all with unique emphases on different broad traits of his personality. He has successfully ranged from sweet to standoffish, from grounded to wacky. But I think out of all of them, the one I consider the coolest is his SA2 portrayal. I feel that's an easy argument to make: he starts the game off by knocking out some police, escaping from their chopper, and using some of its debris to board down the streets of San Francisco. The effortlessness under which this is done still holds up today, and these types of "cool for coolness' sake" moments continue throughout the story and gameplay, such as the ride on the outside of the shuttle.

On top of that, I think he also runs a nice gamut of emotional states. Shadow being the difficult, personal, and developed obstacle he was throughout the game challenged Sonic in ways that genuinely pissed him off and- with Eggman's help- forced him to confront his mortality. Coming back from this allowed him to reaffirm his simple identity as a cocky, die-hard adventurer, and in the end when Shadow is presumed dead Sonic is quite remorseful. Furthermore, with the upgrade from simple animation loops to full-blown mo-cap, it was interesting to see his character interpreted in a more physical and potentially improved manner which added little indirect nods and touches to his character, such as his frustrated impatience in his jail cell and inability to stand still. Really, if he had the privilege of modern voice direction, I'd call the portrayal pitch perfect. (Also, Soap Shoes are best shoes.)

Shadow's SA2 portrayal is top notch too, although that doesn't mean I dislike or devalue his other appearances. I like the fact that his amnesia allows him to be more down-to-earth and casual with the people around him in Heroes, I appreciate the attempt at exploring his character from multiple angles and in general enjoyed the emotional responses to the weird and aggravating circumstances in ShtH, I like how he's steadfast in his beliefs in Sonic 06 despite admittedly not being certain about his future, and I like the general return towards his Heroes self in the Rivals games along with a little more infallibility. Really, I just like Shadow in general, but I can't deny that his snake oil salesman routine in SA2 is fantastic. The cunning and confidence he displays here is something I wish they'd simply utilize more often if only to stave off complaints that he's too curmudgeonly. The same goes for his massive ego and superiority complex, which is aptly backed up by his abilities. A Shadow that's as lovingly insufferable and smarmy as he was in SA2 would be greatly appreciated.

After racking my brain through every AoStH, Sonic X, and Boom episode that I've put on repeat viewings and which I feel has the least amount of flaws, I think I can say the episode I feel is my favorite is Sonic X Episode 20: Cruise Blues. I think what annoys me a bit about Boom is that they rarely take a character's frustration or being out of their element to its most logical and.extreme conclusion. Cruise Blues fixes that in spades, showing Sonic breaking down while stranded on a tiny space surrounded by the element he hates the most.

He tries escaping around 20 times, calls in a chopper that leaves without him (the catalyst for the infamous "Nooo! Come baaaack!" Engrish in the Japanese version), drops into the fetal position after a stern talking-to concerning his childish behavior, and eventually resorts to lying about people's state of mind to try to get them to turn the boat around, backfiring spectacularly even when Eggman finally shows up. Sonic's antics are just amazing; talking about it's made me want to watch it right now. xD

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 4

Okay! Time to play a bit of catch-up! First off, my favorite portrayal of my favorite character is...

hwloh1.jpg

Archie's Shadow

While having a rocky start due to there not being much of an Archie SA2 adaptation and his first return appearances (Ironically saved by aliens before ShTH even came out. XD) not really being that super great due to him bouncing all over the place and not doing that much, once Ian Flynn took over the book, Shadow was finally given some sort of direction. From him assisting Sonic in driving off uninvited birthday guests to him learning the truth of his past in FAR less time than it took in his own game to him eventually joining G.U.N. and forming Team Dark, Shadow definitely became a lot more active in the book and, as a result, developed more of a character than the past-obsessed rogue he was in previous issues. He's serious, powerful, and willing to protect the planet that Maria loved so much, but also not above being sympathetic towards other creations like Metal and Gamma. He always focuses on the situation at hand, but that doesn't mean he can't pull off more comedic interactions and exchange fight banter with the best of them. It's a very well-rounded characterization and I really enjoy that about it.

Next up, my favorite Sonic cartoon episode...

The Meteor (Sonic Boom)

Kind of a popular answer, but this episode is SOOOO GOOOOOD, and the element that truly MAKES it that good has GOT to be Roger Craig Smith and Mike Pollock's performances. In too many body-swap plots in cartoons and the like do they just take the easy way out and have the characters switch voices as well to easily identify them despite it usually not making that much sense. However, Boom goes for the much more entertaining option of the characters' bodies maintaining their voices and having the respective actors portray the opposite character. It works out great with Roger quite obviously having a ton of fun playing the good doctor and Mike putting on a friendly, youthful tone for Sonic. There are a lot of great gags as well, such as Sonic trying to use his speed in Eggy's body, Eggy's completely unsubtle acting job as Sonic, Eggy getting Knuckles' name wrong multiple times (Nuggets made me laugh the hardest), Sonic's final threat to get Eggman to switch back, and smaller bits and lines like Cubot's "Well, I'm not gonna be Amy this time." This is definitely one of the most entertaining bits of Sonic animation that I've ever seen and I hope they can whip up more episodes just as strong as the series goes on.

• Thumbs Up 6

Uhhh, wow, hat's a lot of episodes to go over considering how many shows there have been and how long some of 'em lasted. But I think I'll have to echo Tails' New Home. It was a very nice episode that always surprises me to look back on, because while AOSTH was a fun show, it isn't exactly the kind of show you think of alongside words like "heartwarming". But it had those moments sometimes, and Tails' New Home is the one that's always stuck with me.

Someday I need to watch that show over again since I really only remember that, the first episode, and the Chaos Emerald saga (which is also amazing, at least from what I remember!) which were the final episodes I believe?

Also I remember liking that one episode of Sonic X focusing on Helen and Sonic hanging out or something, but I don't remember the details so I can't say for sure.

• Thumbs Up 4

Only by trying to answer this question I realized that, indeed, I have watched EVERY episode of EVERY animated series so far in the Sonic franchise. I really don't know if I should be happy or sad now.

Still, I've already talked about one of my favourite Sonic X episodes in the last question, and I'd feel like I was cheating by answering again with another Sonic X episode (say what you will, but this series, despite its mediocrity, gave me some really nice gems) or with the Sonic OVA. So, let's go with the episode that made me aware of Sonic's existence before even playing Sonic & Knuckles and Spinball something like 6 months later. (or at least, that how I remember it. Going all "I saw this cartoon with the same guy you have on your schoolbag" to another kid in Elementary School and a little girl nearby saying "He's Sonic, I've got his games at home, even one with a red guy that climbs walls, he's my favourite!")

So, anyway, Tails' New Home.

xNWEcsf.png

What can I say that hasn't been already said? Despite liking the more serious versions of Sonic, I've a soft spot for this series, for reasons that are obvious. And Tails's New Home is a good introduction to Aosth. You've got humor and heartwarming moments, and it even gets serious towards the end; the dialogue at the end of the episode always makes my eyes watery, especially the part about the picket fence.

There's a reason why Aosth Sonic is one of my favourite versions of the character; despite being cocky and sometimes arrogant towards those who actually deserve it, he still has a big heart and a kind and warm side, especially towards his little brother, and he's not afraid to show it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 10: Favourite Sonic Cartoon Episode

You know, I don't think anything will ever top Can An Evil Genius Crash On Your Couch For A Few Days? from Sonic Boom. This is not only a good episode for Sonic Boom. It's just a good episode as far as cartoons go in general. I don't think I've laughed this hard at something from a cartoon since the first time Regular Show premiered. This episode does a great job showing everyone's new character traits, especially Eggman's. And the voice acting just helps the jokes flow flawlessly. Eggman is without a doubt the best and he just steals the spotlight this episode. The scene where Amy was trying to get him to talk about his feelings, with his immediate reaction of "Somebody get her away from meee" was golden.

thumbnail_40171.png

Another great moment was "Group hug!" (Orbot and Cubot start hopping) "Not you >:L", and just basically every moment of Eggman being a roomate. From the pillow fights, to the kazoo, it was just all so fun to watch. The episode even ends with a pretty great action sequence, so you got comedy and action! Though I mostly like this episode just for its comedic moments. It's great that this was one of the first episodes to air, but at the same time it makes me feel nothing will top it. Though there have been several other episodes that came close to it for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 10

This one is a really difficult one, but I would have to say either Late Fees or Buddy Buddy Temple, both from Sonic Boom (I'm not really a fan of any other Sonic cartoon).

I'll start with Late Fees:

Despite this episode generally sharing the same tone as every other episode in Boom, it felt unique. I think it was mainly because it focused on Sonic more, and none of the other characters play a particularly strong role. This gave the writers an opportunity to really just flesh Sonic out, and they did. They exhibited Sonic's arrogance and cockiness perfectly, and provided a good few laughs as well. Not to mention that the voice acting is, as per usual, top notch. As for the story itself, it's certainly not anything new, this kind of story has been done before, but it doesn't feel tired or poorly done. It also shows that, despite being a snarky asshole at times, Sonic will go out of his way to help others, even helping his arch-nemesis get his own chili-dog. Overall, I really appreciate how focused this episode was and how they took a pretty generic trope and turned it into something entertaining.

Now, Buddy Buddy Temple. There was one reason why I liked this episode and it was a very, very strong reason; the dynamic between Sonic and Eggman. It was thoroughly entertaining to watch them exchange banter as usual, but for a whole episode. I'm a huge fan of the "I hate you but I secretly like you" relationship that Sonic and Eggman share, and seeing fleshed out into a full episode was really great to see.

Day X: Favorite Episode?

Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch for a Few Days was the only time I ever burst out laughing watching a Sonic cartoon. It was that good.

Also, the Satam episode with the Terrapods was a good episode too.

Day 9 - What's your absolute favorite portrayal of your top favorite character?

I'm a big fan of Boom! Sonic. He's just so done with everyone's shit, it almost makes him the straight man of the series. He makes that fucking face every episode, even when there isn't really a joke, but I love it every time. He's always doing stupid stuff with Knuckles, but while this is weird, actually leaving Tails alone sometimes gives him more chance to develop better as a character. Also Sonic isn't afraid to just be a dick, as "Closed Door Policy" proved, and Sonic in my mind is a dick, so I think it really works.

Easy. "Eggheads".

There's so much to like here, mostly from Eggman hamming it up. Every character acting evil, Amy proving further that she's no exception to every character on the show being crazy, Knuckles being the funniest Evil Mastermind of average intelligence, and of course, Eggman the Sonic. The scene is just so WTF and out of the blue (AAAGGHUUUGGGH) that it's one of the most iconic moments of the show thusfar.

DAY TEN: FAVORITE CARTOON EPISODE

Well, these days I've been loving the Boom cartoon more and more, and some episodes of the show are just downright hilarious and witty. Seriously I could go on about how many jokes I've laughed at, but the one I've enjoyed the most was "The Meteor".

Seriously, it's kind of the episode of a Sonic cartoon that I've wanted since the days of watching Adventures nonstop. Eggman's Sonic, Sonic's Eggman, no one has any idea on what to do but somehow they have to try to stop each other. 

I just really love this episode a lot for being funny on top of all of that. The ways Eggman tries to blow over Sonic's life both in and out of his body is pretty laughable as well. I mean, setting up a date with Amy and you're not even Sonic? That's cruel, man.

But yes, that title goes to this episode, just for being one of my dream events come true.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, a lot of the cartoons aren't particularly memorable for me. I did have about 3 different AoStH videos though, and on one of them was the complete Chaos Emerald Saga, which was probably my favourite.

Sticking out in particular is Long John Baldry's superb over-the-top delivery as he starts to harness their energy - IMMORTALITY!!!!!

I think that video came with Tails New Home too, which made it a stellar collection if I'm right.

• Thumbs Up 1

Episode 52 of Sonic X "Memories of the Wind" stands-out because it's funny in all the right places, emotional in all the right places, has wonderful music and decent animation. It also gives a good sense of closure to the season. Speaking about the original Japanese version by the way, not the awful 4kids dub. Pretty much the whole episode is magic.

TMS really went the distance is making this episode particularly special considering they garnered the rights to use two of OFF COURSE's songs "Midori no Hibi" and "Natsu no Hi". The scene that Natsu no Hi plays to is pure SonAmy awesomeness *_* and whilst the greatness of the Midori no Hibi scene is kinda undermined by the fact that it's about Chris I'll admit it was sweet nonetheless. The episode shows what is in my opinion the most ideal, characteristic way of showing sadness in Sonic.

Truly great episode that doesn't devolve into excessive, offputting sappiness.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I could choose only one ?...

SatAM's Drood Henge maybe, because it focuses on Tails, he can finally show his skills and in the end he becomes a Freedom Fighter. We see him working with Sonic, as it should be, and... it's a good episode, that's all :)

Others I could choose were Aosth's Captain Rescue and the four-parts Quest for the Chaos Emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 3

There aren't many memorable episodes I can really get with, but I can choose...

The Sonic OVA. Oh yeah this right here is my all time favorite Sonic animation for a good reason. It embodies this particular type of surreal and fantastical world that appears so mysterious but so charming at the same time. For the Land of the Sky to the Land of Darkness and pretty much everything in between, this portrayal of Sonic's world is one I wish could have been given more time to shine. Ironically enough it feels the closest to the 16-bit titles in the sense of its whimsical appearance. Many say that the OVA embodies a special take on the games out of all the 90s animated cartoons for a good reason. Regarding the voice cast I have no issue with; I think Martin Burke's take on Sonic brings out a more cockier side of him that doesn't feel forced or so try-hard. Tails is just adorable in his voice actor, Knuckles is serviceable, Edwin Neal's Eggman sounds just as good (in fact I would have easily considered OVA's Robotnik to be the Classic Eggman hahaha).

All around one of my favorite Sonic interpretations of all time. I wish it was re-released in a digitally remastered format with a proper soundtrack though.

Out of AOSTH, SATAM, Sonic Underground, Sonic X, and Sonic Boom?

Sonic X Episode 1: Chaos Control Freaks

sonic-x-sonic-x-tv-2317790-400-300.jpg

Oh man, I remember they showed the first episodes of several new shows coming to the FOX BOX before they aired in the fall and Sonic X was one of them.

From the fight into Eggman's base, the Chaos Control accident, Sonic running through Station Square onto the highway, landing into Chris's pool, and that ending where Sonic introduces himself...

I was immediately hooked onto the show.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 10 - Mambo's Favourite Sonic toon episode

Oooh, yaarrr.. urrr this one's a difficult one. My favourite Sonic series is still AoSTH because it was the toon I grew up with, it was pretty much the first Sonic I was familiar with besides the games, and yeah... because Robotnik is just glorious. It's hard to pick a favourite, though. As much as I enjoyed the Quest for the Chaos Emeralds episodes, I think my favourite episode has to be Tails' New Home, because it's just so darn adorable. I mean, for starters it has lil bebbeh Tails wearing a bonnet and mittens;

3470beb9-0977-4d22-b7e9-ca93b538104c_zps

OMG EEEEEE! I like how the colours in this scene are all different shades of blue, to show, yknow that it's The Past!

The story is about Tails getting hurt and Sonic running around trying to find him a suitable new home, and every single one being a massive failure.... or so they think...

0d482557-d6e4-4801-9a62-e6672dee21ed_zps

Just look at how freakin' sad Sonic is to see his lil bro settle with his "family"! D;

In addition, it shows how Sonic and Tails meet (according to AoSTH anyway) where Tails is shown trying to live with a bunch of birds(!); upon convincing Sonic to let him hang out with him instead, baby Tails carries Sonic around in a giant bindle, he chirps about having found a new brother and a new name, and it's tear-jerkingly cute! It shows how much Tails hates his real name, it shows Sonic's reaction to missing his lil bro, and yeah... there's this bit: XD

9acead37-42b7-4ea7-8438-14be377d6732_zps

Boom Knuckles has got nuthin' on Buff Sonic! XD

Also there's some pretty funny Robotnik scenes.

7ecde2b3-0c3b-4b1a-967d-2e909a2863bc_zps

I found this funny before it was a meme, y'all.

And towards the end, Grounder receiving "fan mail" from a "mail man". Me and my sis used to quote Grounder's spoken-word reply in a silly impression of his voice, like way too much! I can still recall it now: "Dear Lu-lu. Thank you for the let-ter. Why not take a long walk off a short pier? Finally yours, Grounder." *spring popping noise* :D

It's just a lovely episode, showing just how much this version of Sonic and Tails care for each other. I always assumed they were much younger than the STC versions (at some point Tails declares he's 4 years old!!) so I see them as two lost lil boys just running around and having fun. In the end, Tails declares that family is simply who you care about more than anything else. :3 D'awwwww!

Runners Up:

Aforementioned Quest for the Chaos Emeralds for stuff like Masonic (geddit, harharhar!), Supreme High Robotnik (oh gawd, the humanity!) and basically just having a four-episode long arc that actually references stuff from the games, like the Emeralds, the blue shield etc.. it was a fun lil miniseries.

The Little Merhog - because when I was a very little kid in 1989 and The Little Mermaid was released, I had a thing for mermaids, just before the Sonic phase anyway. So this episode combined two childhood obsessions...

What it came down to was that I really liked Merna's design. It's Sonicy and mermaidy, and it's kinda nice.

15ae835a-db5e-4f2b-8bc5-4e5360f4aa57_zps

I probs shouldn't admit this as a 31 year old unemployed PhD dropout with mental illness(!).. but as a young kid I'd go on to design a fuckload of characters based on Merna, living in their own merhog city and having wacky undersea adventures. It almost got to Penders-esque proportions but luckily I'd grown up a bit before it got to his level of Uuuurgh-make-it-stopness! :D So don't judge me, a'right? :P

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 10: Favourite Cartoon Episode

foto1.jpg

Sonic The Movie (Sonic OVA)

It's a good thing Crusher's allowing this or I'd really be in trouble with this question. This is definitely my favourite piece of Sonic animation. It has this really unique mix of familiarity with the game universe while at the same time doing it's own thing.

It's also got to be the most I've laughed with a piece of Sonic media to date, some of situations that arise in this are just so hilariously random like when Eggman is supposedly keeping the President and Sarah captive in the President's office but we later see Eggman and Sarah playing several rounds of a video game while the President is kicking back in his chair like nothing's happened. There's also some great expression work in the movie. Take this example, I mean when are we ever going to see them pull faces like this again? I can't even tell what Sonic's actually trying to do with his face here:

tumblr_m2dxsvvWsk1qdtw9eo1_500.png

Although I think one of the funniest things in the movie is when Old Man Owl explains that Metal Sonic was at Sonic's home:

"He was here last night. He forced me to put on these clothes and then flew away."

That situation is never elaborated upon. No further context as to what Metal's entire goal was by turning up in the middle of the night and then doing...that. That's the thing, this movie seems to do stuff completely for the hell of it half the time. Knuckles has a hat for no other reason than to have it get set on fire later on. 

I think part of the movie's charm is that its such a product of its time. There's stuff in here that they're never going to get away with these days. In fact, I'm amazed that this even managed to get an uncut English dub in the first place. Something like this is such a one off and it's all the more special for it.

I'd be on board if this ever got a re-release on DVD or Blu-ray. Although, given some of its content it'd no doubt be on the receiving end of some notable cuts so maybe it's best this be left to its original releases and the internet.

• Thumbs Up 4