Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

STH '06 wasn't the only awful game. Still probably would have taken another one on top of STH '06 to kill off interest in the franchise, though. Sega soft-rebooting the series with Unleashed is probably directly related to them knowing how precarious things were at that point.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, maybe not the series itself, but it certainly beat SEGA and Sonic's reputation as a video game icon to a wheezing, bloody pulp. Yet SEGA seemed keen enough to remind everyone about it by putting it in Generations instead of giving it a chance to fall into obscurity (which, given the game's rep as the modern Superman 64, probably wouldn't have happened anyway).

Crisis City is actually my favorite level in Sonic 06 so I didn't mind a Sonic 06 stage in Generations for just one level isn't going to kill me. Plus the music kicks ass.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're acting like there wasn't other mediocre/bad Sonic games before and after '06.

There was many mediocre-bad filler games. However when they produced a main series title, it was usually strong back then (except for Shadow's game).

The only way an awful game can kill a series is if they don't pick themselves up. SEGA released several strong titles shortly after Sonic 06', picking up the series once again.

Sonic 06 is the only Sonic game where your left frustrated before you even start the first level.

You have to meet up with Tails, speak to some residents, play a mini red ring challange (which shows up some of Sonic's stupid physics), and then buy the lightspeed-ring dash thing from a shop (why the fuck?). So you have to sit through at least half a dozen loading screens before you even start Wave Ocean.

Sonic 06 is utter garbage.

Edited by NightwingKnux

Then you didn't get the point.

Clement is doing almost all of the Sonic games he can do bar any DS ones, so he'd be face-to-face with this game eventually anyway, but on top of that, he couldn't have left it at a standard 10 minute review since it would just be like all the other reviews of the game. This is his personal least favourite game ever, and he wanted to explain every reason he could for why that is, and a standard review wouldn't cut it. He didn't want to just review it, he wanted to dissect it. Thus, he's done to this game what RedLetterMedia did with the Star Wars prequels.

It may be beating a dead horse, and it's fine if long-ass reviews aren't your thing, but he was going to come across this game sooner or later, and he had to let off all his steam with it, so he could then move on to later games with a clear head.

No, I got the point.

It's all the points everyone in the whole goddamn world already pointed out for the last 6 years with RAGE RAGE RAGE added. I listened to the full review and the entire time I imagined his face like this:

eww_Reaction_faces_part_2-s397x297-159276-580.png

He said numerous times he wasn't going to touch the game, and now I'm wishing he didn't.

• Thumbs Up 2

Crisis City is actually my favorite level in Sonic 06 so I didn't mind a Sonic 06 stage in Generations for just one level isn't going to kill me. Plus the music kicks ass.

Except when you realise SEGA's saying "Hey, remember this? The god-awful game with programming so bad it would make Action 52 blush? The game which almost killed us as a company? The game which we retconned out of existance to make it non-canon? Well, we're making it canon again! And remember the fun we're sure you all had playing it in its original incarnation!"

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 2

If you weren't interested in hearing someone rant about '06, why did you watch 3+ hours of a guy ranting about '06?

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually had it on as background noise.

If you didn't like it, why would you listen to it at all.

Clement said he didn't want to do the game, and the only reason he did is because his fans asked him to. He even says at the end that he'd prefer never to bring up the game again unless it was relevant. HE wasn't exactly mature about it, but he's not exactly wrong in doing this.

Edited by Popo

One awful game isn't going to kill a series that had been going for 15 years strong. You are overreacting.

Two awful games, however...

Except when you realise SEGA's saying "Hey, remember this? The god-awful game with programming so bad it would make Action 52 blush? The game which almost killed us as a company? The game which we retconned out of existance to make it non-canon? Well, we're making it canon again! And remember the fun we're sure you all had playing it in its original incarnation!"

Yeah, you're right but like I said I was pretty apathetic about it.

Still, even I'll admit that seeing cutscenes from Sonic 06 at the end of Generation's credits gave me a shudder of revulsion upon seeing Elise again.

How the fuck did I miss that?

How the fuck did I miss that?

You brain must've been blocking out all bad memories pertaining to Sonic '06, which, considering what it is, happens to be pretty much every memory related to it.

No, I got the point.

It's all the points everyone in the whole goddamn world already pointed out for the last 6 years with RAGE RAGE RAGE added. I listened to the full review and the entire time I imagined his face like this:

eww_Reaction_faces_part_2-s397x297-159276-580.png

He said numerous times he wasn't going to touch the game, and now I'm wishing he didn't.

If he didn't, those pesky fans would keep going on and on about him doing it. The reason why he did it was so he doesn't have to touch it ever again, he doesn't have to talk more about it, and he can finally say "There, I've done it. Now stop mentioning that game already."

Edited by Dr. Crusher

It was rather mediocre-bad, but not on the level of Sonic '06.

That's still bad. And had Sonic 06 not be released the way it was or at all, ShTH would have been stuck in it's place to this day.

7:12

Feel the horror, CSS.

I think it's more horrifying to see the Backbone logo show up.

Edited by NightwingKnux
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, another thing....

Some of the cutscenes feel a little different to the rest of the game.

Sonic's first CG cutscene has him swoop in and act badass and cocky like he usually would, but then the rest of the game he's basically fodder with nothing interesting going on.

And then we get to the last CG scene in his story, where he is again, acting like a badass. And even if that one part where he is laughing along with Elise is cringe-worthy it was at least having fun with itself. (The bright look of everything, the music near the end, the way they got caught in the explosion) it felt...fun. For once.

And of course the last CG scene for the game after Solaris. Again Sonic seems more lively and the music is more bouncy than anything else. And the part with Elise's feather and Sonic watching it fly up by the moon, while Elise's theme played...'twas pretty heartwarming.

My guess is that these were probably done first or something? Who knows, I just wish the rest of the game had that atmosphere.

• Thumbs Up 7

So using Modio I was able to copy the 06 demo from my burnt disc onto the console itself, with instant load times. So has it been confirmed that the demo is in fact a later build? Seeing as Sonic's action bar works and his jump dash has a downwards arc to retain running speed. Also when you jump dash onto a wall he does a quick sticky ninja pose not seen in the final. Or were certain things removed in the final purely to rectify performance issues?

So using Modio I was able to copy the 06 demo from my burnt disc onto the console itself, with instant load times. So has it been confirmed that the demo is in fact a later build? Seeing as Sonic's action bar works and his jump dash has a downwards arc to retain running speed. Also when you jump dash onto a wall he does a quick sticky ninja pose not seen in the final. Or were certain things removed in the final purely to rectify performance issues?

Uh from what I understand of this game, the demo was the more interesting version, but it was apparently less stable. The one that ended up becoming the retail was more stable, but had a lot of stuff gone.

I dunno, check up a site on this game's development for more detailed info.