Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

IIliked Silver's gameplay, something different.

I prefer my "different" things in Sonic to not be slow, thanks.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 3

Also, another thing....

Some of the cutscenes feel a little different to the rest of the game.

Sonic's first CG cutscene has him swoop in and act badass and cocky like he usually would, but then the rest of the game he's basically fodder with nothing interesting going on.

And then we get to the last CG scene in his story, where he is again, acting like a badass. And even if that one part where he is laughing along with Elise is cringe-worthy it was at least having fun with itself. (The bright look of everything, the music near the end, the way they got caught in the explosion) it felt...fun. For once.

And of course the last CG scene for the game after Solaris. Again Sonic seems more lively and the music is more bouncy than anything else. And the part with Elise's feather and Sonic watching it fly up by the moon, while Elise's theme played...'twas pretty heartwarming.

My guess is that these were probably done first or something? Who knows, I just wish the rest of the game had that atmosphere.

I’d chalk that up to those being the two cut scenes they outsourced to Blur Studios; faaar far away from then-Sonic team's grubby fingers

Considering the scene of Silver saying “I finally found him, the Iblis Trigger” in the intro was so dramatically different from the same in-game cutscene in Silver’s story, I don’t think they gave the Blur team precise directions. Either that or Silver just repeats that line every time he sees Sonic and the intro happened off screen in his story....

Edited by DuraV

Yeah, I think that demo was technically an older build that was closer to what the final build should have been. But with their the launch day drawing in, they probably removed a lot of unfinished/buggy stuff and gave us something more stable. In the demo, if you stand up close to a wall and spindash you'll go right through it. That was fixed in the final build. But there were other things in the demo that weren't in the final- Sonic's arched air dash (in the final it was also arched if you used the grey gem), combo points ala SA2, Sonic's Chaos drives etc etc. Amongst everything that made it bad by design, Sonic '06 was ultimately completely unfinished and rushed.

You could look at it like that. But you could also look at it this way:

"Hey, remember how badly we fucked up with Sonic 06? Well, we've learned our lesson, and to prove it, we're redoing a level and a boss fight from that god-awful game and showing you how we'd do it today. See how glitchy and unplayable it isn't? See how the set pieces actually work this time? See how Silver is actually a really fun boss fight instead of a slice of torture? Let us ease the pain from those old wounds."

Yes, that's what I wanted to say but couldn't think of the right words. :D Crisis City being a playable stage in Generations doesn't bother me and I like to see SEGA redo a stage from Sonic 06 that people see as bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aside from the bestiality misunderstanding, it's a pretty good ending to a review.

Still, I don't think SEGA admitting the game exists is a bad thing. I honestly think it makes them the better guys for admitting that they made their mistake, and just ignoring it isn't learning from it.

Any section of Sonic's levels without the mach speed was usually harmless. Wave Ocean was a harmless first level, Dusty Desert was an interesting idea, Crisis City could have been more interesting, White Acropolis desperately needed to fix its snowboarding section, Molten Core was interesting in its linearity. Radical Train looked like a good idea. Aquatic Base looked decent too.

I just don't feel the hatred everyone else has. I pity the developers for shooting too big, when they knew they had such a limited time frame. I blame them for that, and I blame the fans for initially accepting the Adventure style of gameplay that this game based itself on. I think all sides had something bad to contribute.

That's the thing. This fanbase was nearly ruined because of this game, and the credibility of Sonic was nearly ruined as well, so I understand you guys have a reason to hate this game to the core, but from an almost third party perspective, I can't see this game with as much hatred as you all.

Ah, goodness. People comparing a video game human princess kissing a anthromporphic, supersonic hedgehog to real life deviancy grates on my nerves. Sure, they were trying to give Elise a "realistic" look which may have creeped some people out, but I don't take it as seriously as some people do.

Agreed. SEGA at least admitted they were wrong instead of trying to completely hide their mistakes. And people learn from mistakes. If they had never made Sonic 06, they wouldn't have gotten the wake-up call they sorely needed.

Definitely. I honestly loved some of those levels until the horrid mach sections. As for White Acropolis, once I got past the frustrating snowboarding sections, I thought it was kind of fun. Radical Train bothered me a litlte because of the time limit, but that is something you see in a lot of Sonic games. It could have been better implemented, though. And I found Aquatic Base fun except for the part where you go on the floating ball thing..but then, the barrel from Sonic 3 and Knuckles was pretty annoying too.

And yes, one of the biggest problems is that SEGA had their hopes too high. This game was made to be a anniversary game so fans were expecting better. And basing it off of Adventure gameplay was a mistake because this would cause people to compare it to the Adventure games, which highered peoples' expectations even more. Not only that, but it lowered potential for new game play styles.

Nearly ruined? Well... The Sonic fanbase is a lot like the Star Wars fanbase. Both are highly nostalgic fanbases, and well, this can make it difficult for the creators to please their fans. So even if the Sonic fanbase isn't entirely broken, that could happen if SEGA rebooted the whole franchise or released more bad games.

And I also didn't take Sonic 06 as personally as other fans because, well, I simply didn't play it when it came out. I pretty much ignored it because I didn't have a PS3 or Xbox at the time. And I wasn't interested. During the time, I was playing Sonic Heroes, the advance games, and the spinf off games. After a while my interest in the series declined until I picked up Sonic Unleashed.

It wasn't until later that I chose to play Sonic 06, which was by the time that Sonic's reputation had improved. So, unlike most Sonic fans here, I never worried about the Sonic franchise "dying." After all, there were a lot of bad Sonic games during the classic era(such as Sonic Labyrinth..) but it still went on.

And trust me, I don't even like the game. I haven't played it much besides Sonic's story. I'm simply indifferent to it more than anything else.

Edited by colorfulzones104

Labyrinth is a fairly obscure Game Gear game. No chance in hell that thing would've killed the franchise. Especially when it wasn't hyped up to be greater than the glory of Sonic 3&K and the Adventure games combined AND Sonic's great spring jump to the next generation of gaming.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Comparing a GameGear game to a Mainstream title is just grasping for straws anyway...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah there's worlds of difference between some shitty game gear gimmick game being predictably shitty, and a main series anniversary game being legendarily bad.

And you can make a fair argument that Labyrinth is a much better game than '06.

And you can make a fair argument that Labyrinth is a much better game than '06.
Much better, maybe not. But a bit more enjoyable.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, Labyrinth and Blast didn't leave a gigantic black hole-sized stain on the franchise that many of it's haters and/or ex-fans can easily use as a scapegoat to shoot down anyone defending the series or putting in a even slightly positive light. I often come across - and have been in - situations like this:

*discussion about another topic makes a vague and harmless Sonic reference*

"Oh ho ho, Sonic sure hasn't seen good days since SA2! Remember Sonic 06..."

"Hey now, hold on. There were tough times to be sure, but things have gotten bett-"

"NOPE. Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog. Piece of shit series, never liked it anyway."

"Okay, seriously, please, let me explain. I know things have been bad, I know 06 and I know what it did, I know that. But then Unleashed came along, and Werehog aside it was a definite improvement. Then Colours and Generations... things are getting better, trust me on this one. Many may argue that it's not perfect, but they are looking u-"

"NOPE. Sonic 06 man, ho ho ho, Sonic 06. Never forgive, never forget."

"...Why can't I talk about Sonic anywhere without mentioning that fucking game?"

• Thumbs Up 7

Hence why SEGA should've forgotten about it and officially declared it non-canon after saying "We're sorry, we majorly fucked up and we'll never let this sort of thing happen again ever".

post.

Ah, True gamers. You wish you could kill them all, but you know that would only make things worse for you, while they get off scot-free with pats on their backs for "putting the losers in their place with their scapegoating."

Let's face it: Generations is a cavalade of continuity problems.

Also, Labyrinth and Blast didn't leave a gigantic black hole-sized stain on the franchise that many of it's haters and/or ex-fans can easily use as a scapegoat to shoot down anyone defending the series or putting in a even slightly positive light. I often come across - and have been in - situations like this:

*discussion about another topic makes a vague and harmless Sonic reference*

"Oh ho ho, Sonic sure hasn't seen good days since SA2! Remember Sonic 06..."

"Hey now, hold on. There were tough times to be sure, but things have gotten bett-"

"NOPE. Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog. Piece of shit series, never liked it anyway."

"Okay, seriously, please, let me explain. I know things have been bad, I know 06 and I know what it did, I know that. But then Unleashed came along, and Werehog aside it was a definite improvement. Then Colours and Generations... things are getting better, trust me on this one. Many may argue that it's not perfect, but they are looking u-"

"NOPE. Sonic 06 man, ho ho ho, Sonic 06. Never forgive, never forget."

"...Why can't I talk about Sonic anywhere without mentioning that fucking game?"

Yeah, I know..But, there are plenty of modern Sonic spin off games that are hated. Sonic Zero Gravity, anyone? It's not nearly as notorious as Sonic 06 is, but still. They seem to get criticized a lot, whereas bad spin off games from the old era seem to be ignored. It was a bad comparison, though. I'll admit that.

Because while a bad game is a bad game and should never be defended, Game Gear spinoffs are relatively more harmless and inoffensive than ones on the Wii or 360.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I see..I suppose I can't judge some of those spin offs anyway, because I've only played a couple of them. (Luckily, I guess..)

Sonic_Generations_Playthrough_Part_11_-_Crisis_City_002_0001.jpg

???

See my last post here. Generations is considered non-canon by many. not to mention there's the possibility that this stage was already in white space, as it is a far removed alternate timeline. Edited by Riku

Eh, I always take the easy way out and just assume something like the Time Eater being able to pull erased timelines out of it's ass and Blaze having a sort of memory like Elise in 06's ending.

It's a crap reason, but it does the handwave job for me, and I can happily continue my Truck-dodging, trollpost cursing ways.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't really matter if Generations is canon or not because:

- It doesn't interfere with anything already established (correct me if I'm wrong)

- There isn't much story in Generations anyway, and what is there is pretty harmless. It's bland and really lame but it's harmless.

Based on what?

I never said it was, But considered. Based on the overflow of plotholes that can be found in the game. I think it's easier to just assume the game non-canon. Don't see what's so wrong with that.

(I could say the moon but that seems to easy) Blaze,the whole Classic sonic can't talk thing, Bosses like perfect chaos being fought by Modern sonic even though Adventure Sonic is the one that's supposed to defeat him so what happens then, Classic Tails already knowing Classic Sonic even though it's suggested it's Sonic 1 sonic,Classic Badniks not having animals in them(ehh, could be seen as a nitpick but still). At the moment That's what I can think of.

Edited by Riku

It doesn't really matter if Generations is canon or not because:

- It doesn't interfere with anything already established (correct me if I'm wrong)

- There isn't much story in Generations anyway, and what is there is pretty harmless. It's bland and really lame but it's harmless.

Actually, it's hinted that the whole plot takes place after Colors. In Eggman's explanation of the whole Time Eater sphiel, there's a flashback to when he was drifting in space with Orbot and Cubot after being defeated previously.