Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Curiosity is what makes us better people.

Third time's the charm - curiosity also killed the cat.

While a majority doesn't constitute as unanimous, curiosity in situations like this come second to noticing that a game has the uncanny ability of pissing off a lot of people, connecting the dots together, and going "Hmm, seems to be a bad 'un, this one, and there's probably reasons for that. There's also a playthrough and a review that explain in great detail for why this is a piece of shit. And while I can think for myself and no review or playthrough makes choices for me, there's a lot of ground covered in there, all very convincing. I'll do the wise thing and give it a miss."

There doesn't need to be more "out of curiosity" for this game. That was exactly what motivated Pokecapn to play the game, and look what it did to him. No curiosity is worth that much turmoil, especially one that so many people have put up on YouTube anyway. If you still choose to do so, then fine, but you're a fool.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

This is my all time favorite Sonic game. Best design and music in my opinion. I miss when Sonic Team made games like this where you got to really feel like the hero and explore huge worlds.

This is my all time favorite Sonic game. Best design and music in my opinion. I miss when Sonic Team made games like this where you got to really feel like the hero and explore huge worlds.

Care to explain?

Care to explain?

Well it felt like it had a grand scale and a lot was at stake. Also the levels felt less linear and constrained to me.

Well it felt like it had a grand scale and a lot was at stake. Also the levels felt less linear and constrained to me.

How did the levels feel less linear?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ummm....feel like the hero? Going by your avatar I'm assuming that means sonic. Um...Sonic really didn't have a huge role story wise in that game. Shadow and Silver and even Blaze and Rouge had bigger roles it seems. Gameplay wise, How do you feel like the hero when your always changing characters? Edited by Riku

How did the levels feel less linear?

It was less boosting forward and jumping when necessary like in Unleashed and Colors. Arguably Generations fixed this a bit. You had more room to move around and do some platforming. Kingdom Valley for example and it's alternate routes.

Ummm....feel like the hero? Going by your avatar I'm assuming that means sonic. Um...Sonic really didn't have a huge role story wise in that game. Shadow and Silver and even Blaze and Rouge had bigger roles it seems. Gameplay wise, How do you feel like the hero when your always changing characters?

I never said Sonic had the biggest role. I said the game had a grander scale. Sonic Colors felt so empty and especially Generations in white world.

Edited by Soleanna's Blue Wind

To be fair, the game does have a very good soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 7

It was less boosting forward and jumping when necessary like in Unleashed and Colors. Arguably Generations fixed this a bit. You had more room to move around and do some platforming. Kingdom Valley for example and it's alternate routes.
I can agree that Kingdom Valley was nice, but the mach speed sections and the vehicle sections are more linear than Colors.

That's why I said the design and music, I never said it has the best programming. But I love it in spite of the glitches and I actually like the way Sonic handles and can turn around very quickly.

I can agree that Kingdom Valley was nice, but the mach speed sections and the vehicle sections are more linear than Colors.

Well yeah but they aren't the majority of the stage. Even Sonic 3 had linear sections.

Most of that openess mind you was a bunch of death pits and cheap platforms. Not to mention really you couldn't explore without getting killed or breaking the game somehow. And the Mach speed sections. Edited by Riku

Most of that openess mind you was a bunch of death pits and cheap platforms. Not to mention really you couldn't explore without getting killed or breaking the game somehow. And the Mach speed sections.

I'd agree with you if you're talking about early play throughs. But I've found after getting used to the controls and avoiding glitches it's a pretty solid experience.

I never said Sonic had the biggest role. I said the game had a grander scale. Sonic Colors felt so empty and especially Generations in white world.

They're different styles, it isn't completely fair to compare them for the sake of making one look better than the other.

I do appreciate the design of a lot of levels in the game, but it was overall executed poorly.

Edited by KatamariParadox
  • Thumbs Up 1

But I've found after getting used to the controls and avoiding glitches it's a pretty solid experience.

You shouldn't have to "avoid" glitches to enjoy a game. That's like saying you're going to go outside during a thunderstorm and try to avoid rain drops.

• Thumbs Up 6

They're different styles, it isn't completely fair to compare them for the sake of making one look better than the other.

I do appreciate the design of a lot of levels in the game, but it was overall executed poorly.

Well I can see what you mean. Part of the problem is because Sonic moves so fast now, it's hard to make massive levels while still making the stages interesting. Again arguably Generations has fixed this, but I still think the platforming sections need a bit of tweaking.

You shouldn't have to "avoid" glitches to enjoy a game. That's like saying you're going to go outside during a thunderstorm and try to avoid rain drops.

I completely agree, that's why I said I love the game in spite of the glitches. I look at a game as an entire experience, if one aspect isn't up to par I don't dislike the whole game based on those grounds, but I can fully accept someone hating the game because of the glitches. But in my opinion they aren't as frequent as they are made out to be.

I'd agree with you if you're talking about early play throughs. But I've found after getting used to the controls and avoiding glitches it's a pretty solid experience.

>Getting use to the controls and avoiding glitches it's a pretty solid experience.

>Getting use to the controls and avoiding glitches.

>Avoiding glitches.

If you can avoid glitches tell me how you can avoid having Rouge and Knuckles get stuck to the wall if you try to jump off of them, or how you can avoid getting sucked into the time portals in the end of the world when the appear right in front of you with no warning. Hell, tell me how you can avoid getting stuck on the railings of the pier in Wave Ocean's Mach Speed section.

The best controls are the ones that come naturally. Say what you want about Colors and Generations, but the controls in those games are simple enough so you don't have to "get used" to them and they work well for what they are.

>Getting use to the controls and avoiding glitches it's a pretty solid experience.

>Getting use to the controls and avoiding glitches.

>Avoiding glitches.

If you can avoid glitches tell me how you can avoid having Rouge and Knuckles get stuck to the wall if you try to jump off of them, or how you can avoid getting sucked into the time portals in the end of the world when the appear right in front of you with no warning. Hell, tell me how you can avoid getting stuck on the railings of the pier in Wave Ocean's Mach Speed section.

I never bump into any level geometry while playing the mach speed sections. Rouge and Knuckles I can agree on, but I've found if you lightly tap jump while moving horizontally you can get off the wall easier. I don't play those sections much really unless I have to, and I only really play as Sonic. End of the World I have no opposing argument to, I disliked that section haha.

Well I meant to say I never play as Rouge since I don't pick Shadow anymore but I sometimes use a glitch to skip Knuckles in Flame Core. xD

The best controls are the ones that come naturally. Say what you want about Colors and Generations, but the controls in those games are simple enough so you don't have to "get used" to them and they work well for what they are.

I agree, but I still miss the level design from 06.

[snipped video]

Off-topic, but that video and one of the

made me laugh my ass off.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Eh, nowadays, I find even the soundtrack to be rather forgettable as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 3