Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

The game is canon, tho'.

Yep. Everything that the game says happened in the backstory to the game's events happened. It's only the stuff that happened during the game that wrote itself out.

I like to believe that Sonic 06 takes place in an alternate universe, outside the regular one. It would explain a lot: the completely different design for Eggman, the humans and Sonic, the fact that Elise has the blue emerald since childhood - rendering almost every Sonic game before this non-canon, Blaze's totally different backstory and the fact that since Solaris wasn't there to be blown out, he wasn't and the grandfather paradox kicks in forevermore.

It also explains how Crisis City exists in Generations - Eggman and Eggman find this universe and set it up as a death course for their Sonic(s).

I like to believe that Sonic 06 takes place in an alternate universe, outside the regular one.
Sometimes I like to pretend I'm the Hulk, but that doesn't make me the Hulk.

It would explain a lot: the completely different design for Eggman, the humans and Sonic, the fact that Elise has the blue emerald since childhood - rendering almost every Sonic game before this non-canon, Blaze's totally different backstory and the fact that since Solaris wasn't there to be blown out, he wasn't and the grandfather paradox kicks in forevermore.
This is all explained by '06 being a shitty, poorly designed, poorly made game. No reason to posit alternate universes.

It also explains how Crisis City exists in Generations - Eggman and Eggman find this universe and set it up as a death course for their Sonic(s).
That does absolutely nothing to explain it any better than assuming it's part of the series canon, it contradicts the whole point of the game, and it contradicts Blaze remembering it (though who the fuck knows how that's supposed to work anyway).

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm the Hulk, but that doesn't make me the Hulk.

Well, you got me there.

That does absolutely nothing to explain it any better than assuming it's part of the series canon, it contradicts the whole point of the game, and it contradicts Blaze remembering it (though who the fuck knows how that's supposed to work anyway).

Well, in that case, I think 06 was just put in there because, whether we like it or not, it was Sonic's first jump to the next generation.

As for Blaze remembering it, well:

A: Going with the alternate universe thought, her two selves could be in some flux (via some time/space stuff) resolved by the end of the game.

B: There's probably a place on her world that coincidentally happens to be like Crisis City (an equivalent to Chernobyll?), even sharing the name (or at least a nickname)

C: Sonic Team be trollin'.

Well, in that case, I think 06 was just put in there because, whether we like it or not, it was Sonic's first jump to the next generation.
Crisis City was in Generations because '06 was one of the biggest games in the series, regardless of the fact that it erased itself with time travel and regardless of the fact that it sucks huge donkey balls.

The game is canon, tho'.

Crisis City was in Generations because '06 was one of the biggest games in the series, regardless of the fact that it erased itself with time travel and regardless of the fact that it sucks huge donkey balls.

You say the game is canon, yet erased itself from time...

The whole problem would be easier if Aquatic Base or Kingdom Valley or whatever were chosen instead, but Crisis City IS the only level people remember from that game (aside from End Of The World, but that's for the wrong reasons).

Sonic still went to the Sun Festival in the ending.

Yes. The events of the game must have happened to reach the point where they are erased. Therefore they are canon, even if they are in an erased timeline.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The game also had to "happen" in order for it to "not happen".

Its plenty canon.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Edited by The Arcane Arceus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, since Iizuka explicitly stated that the Blaze we know is from the Sol dimension, and since we've got confirmation that Sonic 06 is canon, I have only one question:

Who the fuck is that purple cat with Silver in Crisis City?

Well, since Iizuka explicitly stated that the Blaze we know is from the Sol dimension, and since we've got confirmation that Sonic 06 is canon, I have only one question:

Ezalb.
  • Thumbs Up 2

If you asked what was the most memorable thing in Colors & Generations was I'd say there's nothing.

Sonic and Tails bromance and Eggman PA announcements is the most memorable parts for me in Colors. Generations is when we get to see Modern and Classic Eggman together.

Ezalb.

Damnit, I should have thought of that. It was right there, under my nose.

Fuck my life.

This whole discussion proves one thing: Sonic Team should never do time travel stories without properly thinking them out first. Otherwise, things get very, VERY confusing.

Erm... a mutant Espeon? Best guess I can come up with.

This whole discussion proves one thing: Sonic Team should never do time travel stories without properly thinking them out first. Otherwise, things get very, VERY confusing.
Same could be said for all time travel stories. Take Back to the Future for example. It can be confusing at times, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.

Same could be said for all time travel stories. Take Back to the Future for example. It can be confusing at times, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.

Yeah, but that was due to the fact that the main plot was interesting on it's own; it used time travel as a sort of tool if anything.

P.S. That isn't a bad thing.

Sonic still went to the Sun Festival in the ending.

Yeah, I forgot that. Also, I don't understand it when people say that Elise and Sonic have faint memories of the game with the way they recognise each other. Apparently people forget that Sonic is a well famous hero. He only:

• Saved an island and it's inhabitants from a fat man and prevented him from getting six Gems Of Unbeleivable Power.
  • Saved the world from a giant space station built by the aforementioned fat man and got seven G.O.U.P before him.
  • Saved the world from the space station AGAIN and got a giant G.O.U.P back to an island in the sky.
  • Saved a girl and another planet from the fat man, beat a robot copy of him (Sonic) and ensured a Good Future (Stardust Speedway aside)
  • Saved the world AGAIN from an even bigger space station built around the other planet and defeated his robot copy again.
  • Saved the world from a giant, pissed water monster by calming it down (apparantely blowing through its brain at supersonic speeds does the trick).
  • Saved the world from a space colony dropping down onto the planet and foiling a revenge plot from beyond the grave.
  • Saved the world from his robot copy turned into a dragon by beating it with The Real Superpower Of TeamworkTM
  • Helped fight some aliens.
  • Saved both his dimension and another dimension from merging and ultimately being destroyed.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe Elise wouldn't know Sonic from any of these events and instead knew him for "blowing out some flame".

Yeah, I find it hard to believe Elise wouldn't know Sonic from any of these events and instead knew him for "blowing out some flame".
Well, she didn't seem to know him at the start of the game, if I'm remembering right.

I always wondered what it would be like to go mach speed mode in normal stages:

*snip*

Huh. Crisis City kinda looks better at night. Maybe it's because it makes it look scorched and burnt out, and the things that are still on fire stand out in comparison, rather than everything being in the reddish-orangish range.

Or maybe it's just because I can't see it as well in the dark.

• Thumbs Up 6

Huh. Crisis City kinda looks better at night. Maybe it's because it makes it look scorched and burnt out, and the things that are still on fire stand out in comparison, rather than everything being in the reddish-orangish range.

It also makes the stage look a lot more like the one in Silver's opening cutscene. The strong contrast between reddish orange and black definitely helps the firey stuff stick out, as opposed to everything blending together.

Edited by Malpercio
  • Thumbs Up 1

Huh, Crisis City actually looks kinda decent set at night like that...

Wait, did I actually make a genuine compliment about this game?!