Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Huh, Crisis City actually looks kinda decent set at night like that...

Wait, did I actually make a genuine compliment about this game?!

The stage design of these levels are nice.

if the game was done right they wouldn't be so bad to run around in.

which I still do now and again, cause I like to speed run Crisis City and Kingdom Valley

Edited by NISA
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well to be fair, the contrast in brighter and darker colors definitely helped the visual appearance of this level, even if the game itself still isn't good.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think it's much of a compliment to the game when it's a hack that's making it look good. The hack honestly gets across the idea better than the original; it really feels like a truly dead world, the last smoldering coals left once the fire's gone out. As opposed to "fire's like, red and orange and stuff right? put red and orange on everything!"
  • Thumbs Up 5

I always wondered what it would be like to go mach speed mode in normal stages:

Besides the stage looking so much better than the original, l like how the extremely cluttered HUD is removed. Makes the game feel more natural.

• Thumbs Up 1

The hud was cluttered?

Well to be fair you'd think any hud was cluttered if you've seen it there for so long and then one day see everything clear and spacious haha.

The original Crisis City is surprisingly bland when you consider it's one of the most interesting levels in the game. But time and time again, I will say I love how the Generations version looks. They use the reds and oranges much more effectively, making it more vivid and colourful, as if it fits more within the rest of the series. The lava effects look much better than the original too. Look at the Tornado and Mach Speed sections in 06 and the lava there is like red water, which is odd as the other sections actually make it look like lava. The sky is also a more surreal purple and orange rather than just a dull grey, adding a weird touch. I wish there were a Generations mission set at night though, as an homage to Silver's opening.

Generations's version really gets across the desolation element of it as well as the typical "intense fiery world" that both iterations have.

That day and night mechanic from the E3 trailer looked nice.

Wonder how long you'd have to spend in a stage to see it happen?

Should be like Pokemon, whatever time you turn your console on effects what the sky would look like.

To be fair looking back at some of the earliest screenshots I can see why it was easy to get so hyped for the game, every single screen was carefully taken to position the characters doing cool shit, the final game plays nothing like how it looked back then haha.

I remember being scared of Crisis City before the game came out, it was such a massive departure from anything we had ever seen before in a Sonic game and although I found it scary it did kinda thrill me at the same time.

Game sucks though lol.

Well, she didn't seem to know him at the start of the game, if I'm remembering right.

Well, seeing how the fate of the world depends on whether or not she cries, I'm sure not letting her watch the news to hear about things like the deaths of millions at the tentacles of Biollante Perfect Chaos was a smart move.

But, come the end of the game, no Solaris, no accident, no Iblis, no risk of Elise crying and everything literally going to hell, she likely lived a more normal life.

Also, Crisis City looks much better and cooler at night. As for fully Mach Speed throughout the game... the few times when those sections DID appear were frustrating enough! O_O;

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Thinking about it, how the fuck did they let her go outside in the first place? She could have gotten some dust in her eyes, and boom, world is over.

You know... heres the intro to Sonic 06

Regardless as to what you think of the game, it's a beautiful thing, the intro... a beautiful thing...

I have just one question.

Why does Elise begin to fly at 1:33-1:40. Yes I know it's a vision of the future... but that doesn't explain... why is Elise flying? Was this ever explained? Elise has the ability to fly?

Why does Elise begin to fly at 1:33-1:40. Yes I know it's a vision of the future... but that doesn't explain... why is Elise flying? Was this ever explained? Elise has the ability to fly?

Probably just as a way for the audience to see Iblis.

Though given how she seems to have the ability to create a glowy orb of death for little reason (it's never said if it's because of Iblis), it wouldn't surprise me if she could fly.

Not any stranger than her trademark MAGICAL GLOWING EXTREMELY SITUATIONAL DECEPTIVELY WORTHLESS SHIELD THAT ISN'T ACTUALLY A SHIELD BUT PROTECTS YOU FROM WATER AND EXTREMELY HOLLOW SAND original name do not steal that she somehow happens to have... :U

Edited by -The Joker-

Not any stranger than her trademark MAGICAL GLOWING EXTREMELY SITUATIONAL DECEPTIVELY WORTHLESS SHIELD THAT ISN'T ACTUALLY A SHIELD BUT PROTECTS YOU FROM WATER AND EXTREMELY HOLLOW SAND original name do not steal that she somehow happens to have... :U

I always thought that was the real super power of teamwork evolved!

Am on a quest right now to see how you can break '06 to make points of no returns. I know about the glitch to get into Soleanna forest with a bunch of random road signs and a similar glitch where everyone says "maybe I'll to some people in the town" in Silver's voice, but now I really want to try something else. It's a shame you can't glitch the Soleanna mirrors to get level access earlier. I wonder if the flying box glitch can be put to use...

Well, since it was just a vision, she wouldn't actually be flying.

You know... heres the intro to Sonic 06

Regardless as to what you think of the game, it's a beautiful thing, the intro... a beautiful thing...

I have just one question.

It's happened in plenty of things when someone has a vision of something happening.

Final Fantasy X comes to mind.

It's cool how Sonic's been given his mach speed for the whole level, but Crisis City's design just doesn't do it justice; the skyscraper section is scripted as fuck. Still, the night mod does make it look heaps better.

Does anyone else feel like the Mach Speed sections are loading up a totally different model for Sonic?

I know it probably isn't, but it feels like it...the running animation is a lot smoother compared to his other one in normal stages, especially when he starts going full speed.

Which reminds me, why didn't they use that running animation for him all the time? It looks better.

Wave Ocean lends itself pretty well to sunset.

That day and night system is a pretty nice aesthetic choice. It would be nice to see something like that implemented again (and I'm not counting Unleashed.)

I gotta say, Wave Ocean at sunset looks beautiful, and makes it look slightly less like an Emerald Coast ripoff. Keyword being slightly.

Also, a day/night system would be pretty neat. When I first heard of Sonic Unleashed and the Werehog, I thought that the Werehog only came if you played the game at night.