Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

I was about to read some incredible piece of trollfanfiction but I got tired while typing this.

Fanfiction time! ("5 stars" edition)

Because I'll start rating stuff.

Before I start I'll show you how I roll while giving ratings.

I don't use a score system, instead, I just go with EqD's ratings:

1 star: is a story that I "hated", something with no redeeming qualities and I usually can't be bothered to finish. (I still don't have one here, actually, I do but I also can't bothered to talk about those)

2 stars: is a story that I "didn't like", something that it's good enough to not be considered utter trash but that's it. ("Of Mares and Magic" would be the latest example)

3 stars: is a fic that I "liked", something that's good but far from memorable, it's most likely a good way of spend time but that's it. Some 4 or 5 stars stories that also manage to disappoint or annoy me repeated times at some point may fall here. (there will be some examples here)

4 stars: "Really liked it", the kind of fic that I would read again if I had the time, I place here some really good pieces and I recommend reading all of them, most of the stories here would be 5 stars if it weren't because there is something... Something... Some cringe worthy moments, or a development I think it could have been done better, or some bad written ending, or other little tidbits that wouldn't allow me to fall in love with it and put them with the best of the best. (There will be some examples here)

5 stars: I "loved it", I find little or nothing to complain about this fics, but even if I do, this ones deserves all of my stars and praises. ("The Vinyl Scratch tapes" is the only one here so far... Or is it?)

(I was about to use gifs but I think there is a limit of pics per post and this is a long one so I'll be cheap and lazy)

All the pretty little sparks: (One Shot)

This fic made me realize that we don't have enough fics about the Wonderbolts, they are such an interesting group and being a flying team give us a good excuse to add some serious action and awesome moments.

I want to read more of them.

Anyway, the fic itself is somewhat short and it doesn't have a plot per se, it's just a little lovely trip to memory lane...

It also shows an interesting theory about how the storm trails work, for some reason I always thought it was something in the suits but this one makes more sense. :V

What's this.

Official Latin American Dub of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on Youtube?

Wut_doom.jpg

That means its going to reach the TV's here someday ^^

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/latin-american-official-ticketmasters.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EquestriaDaily+%28Equestria+Daily%29

Twilight and Spike's voices sound perfectly fine.

Rainbow Dash sounds okay.

Applejack is... meh.

Pinkie is fine, but needs more energy.

Fluttershy is fine.

Rarity is fine, but her inflections on "YES!" and "How could you?"(Yes, I know it's in latin but I can't spell latin) make them way less funny.

They're good overall but they don't hold a candle to the english voices, in my opinion.

There's a FiM dub on Latin? GOOD LORD, I so want to see that. Ponies talking in a dead language, it's awesome.

Oops. I meant spanish. XD Though, yes, ponies talking in a dead language would be awesome.

Great, now I have a pony as my steam avatar. Confound those ponies!

I think Applejack has a Castellano accent. Can't seem to stand that type of Spanish accent for long.

I still think it's funny that in Spahish dubs they keep their names in English while everything else is in Spanish. I suppose Arcoiris Rapids just doesn't have the same ring to it. *shrugs*

It's overall not too bad. Twilight and Dash aren't that bad at all. Spike it pretty good too. Half of what sells Pinkie Pie is her voice, and this one definitely doesn't reach that same hyperactive, yet infectious voice as her English VA. Rarity is fine, but yeah, her enunciations on words isn't as great as Tabitha St. Germain. Her "Si!" isn't anywhere near as unintentionally hilarious during her dream sequence. Don't know about Fluttershy, though. It just sounds like generic girl voice instead of something that fits her character. Also, "Buzzards that really buzz" didn't translate well in Spanish. =(

I was about to read some incredible piece of trollfanfiction but I got tired while typing this.

Never again will we see a story as profound as Spiderses.

2 stars: is a story that I "didn't like", something that it's good enough to not be considered utter trash but that's it. ("Of Mares and Magic" would be the latest example)

2 is being generous.

Sofa so good: (Complete!)

I feel confused about this one, it feels completed but I want to see more of it, I guess I want to see more of the author.

Anyway, now that I've readed the whole thing I can safetly say this one felt like an actual episode.

Rating: 4 stars

I didn't like how abrupt this one was. One second it was still doing the silly, wacky stuff of the first two chapters, and then suddenly it stops.

Do you really want to know?:

No.

You don't.

Contrary to what I said outside of the spoilers I actually enjoyed this one (and by that I mean that lots of lulz were had), the way of telling the story with letters was interesting and the (ridiculous) humor was certainly there.

For a moment I thought this was a sequel to another fic, but a quick author search showed me other... Stuff...

It sure was... Something...

Yeah.

Not rated (I'm not sure if this one is finished)

I thought I might just SEND HER BACK TO THE FUCKING MOON!!!

That line has to be the best ending to a comedy story I've ever seen.

The old stories: (One Shot)

This fic made me think a little about how I rate some things. It was also the one who gave me the idea of start sharing my ratings.

You see, I usually think bronies are way too generous while giving stars, there are a lot of 4 or 5 star stories in EqD, and I see myself hating (or not liking enough) some of those.

When I saw this one showing of a perfect 5 star rating I felt a little bad because I would most likely be the one who was going to bring it down.

Let me start saying this, the narration here is amazing, the interview style gave my imagination some interesting mental pictures. First it made me feel like if I was watching one of those low budget documentaries where there is nothing but a camera and some interviews. And second, for some reason, I felt like I was the one going around and filming and the characters were talking to me, and I actually heard their voices while reading each legend.

The stories themselves might be the thing that I didn't like, even in a world of magical ponies things seemed like way too unrealistic, also, I noticed some serious lack of Luna in all of them, and this was a serious point down considering how the stories happened before the Nightmare Moon incident. It also made me think about the mane 6 and how they didn't seem too bothered by the lack of Luna in such tales, there might be some deep stuff going on there.

Anyway, so I could already see myself giving this fic a 4 or 3 star rating, mostly because of the stories themselves (as I said, there was some weird stuff happening in them) but then I thought about it... The stories made me think about those old legends some people told centuries ago, it made me think about the guy who became immortal by bathing himself in Dragon's blood, it also made me think about the guy who made 12 impossible tasks to atone for his sins, or the woman who tricked some guy to not eat his own son by making him eat stones in his place. And I suddenly felt that there wasn't really anything wrong there. (then I lol'd a little when I remembered one story came from a comic book, silly me for taking that seriously)

And then the last chapter came, obliterating my complain about the lack of Luna and in such a good way too.

The ending had me clapping at the screen. xD

Maybe the fic could have been a little longer, maybe the stories and the old world could have been expanded a little, I know I would have enjoyed this much more if I could savour it slowly instead of swallowing the whole thing in a single chapter, but it was a really good read and it really deserves all its stars.

Rating: 5 stars

That this one was 5.0 (not 4.9. 5.0) for more than 180 ratings says it all.

Macintosh: (Complete! Now for reals!)

I feel bad because I've readed the aftermath a few days ago but I didn't comment about it.

Also, this gives me the chance to rate the fic.

So, I don't really remember a lot of this, but the most porminent thought I had while reading this was about if Mac was going to end up paired with Rose (because that was my OTP in this fic) or Pinkie (just because of shock value, something that I would've hated).

He ended with Daisy... I say this is a good compromise because it makes sense (sort of) and it was shocking. tongue.gif

Anyway, I feel like I'm not doing this fic any justice by speaking so little about it so let me give my verdict.

The whole thing was great, so many emotions coming from a [Normal] tag'd fic (it's possible, you don't need to go sad nor grimdark to make me feel something), so sweet in some aspects and some bitter in others, TotalOverflow managed to create an amazing version of ponyville, so full of life, of different ponies that we are not used to see (and the regular cast too) and all of them giving us their own share of happy and sad moments... And with some awesome characterization to boot (though as I said before, it took me a little to get used to this version of Big Mac). Still, no matter how you try to make it look, Mac's father was an ass and I have no respect for him.

I spent an amazing time reading this fic and I can't wait to see more from this author.

Rating: 5 stars

My PSP almost found a new home in my bedroom wall when I read Chapter 11 of this one. And as everyone else on GTP got to Chapter 11, the amount of anger you could feel emanating from everyone else implied that they almost committed similar acts of electronics damage.

Off the edge of the map: (Complete!)

I went to read the last chapter knowing I would feel disappointed... Because it was the last chapter (whoever readed my last rant would know that I expected a lot more content from this fic).

So what do I think about the ending?

It was good, actually, it was really good.

For a moment I forgot how long the chapters were, in this ending Daetrin managed to pull 2 obstacles before our heroes managed to end their journey, the city of Cantrot, which was a really big WTF moment for me (especially the end) and the storm in the Everfree, a really interesting twist considering everything started with a storm and some trick Dash tried to pull (and later during that scene we have another really interesting twist). Both situations managed to keep me on the edge of my seat.

The last scenes were really good, the subtle shipping was masterfully executed (during the whole fic once you realize all the stuff you've just readed), I'll also give some bonus points for explaining some details about the world that weren't addressed during the previous chapters.

I have to give credit to Daetrin for managing to pull out a satisfactory ending.

But there are things that didn't sit well with me, mostly because Jetfire really spoiled me with his fic and now I can't avoid to compare most of the [Adventure] tagged fics with Ponytales.

As I said before I was expecting so much more from this fic, there is such a wonderful world out there and it was barely explored. And the time the whole trip takes also irks me a little, 1 month was compressed in only 3 chapters and they weren't as eventful as they could have been, I feel like I should repeat that I got spoiled by Ponytales, a fic that manages to compress (almost) 2 weeks in (almost) 20 chapters of epic storytelling. This one sort of falls short in that department.

The story is really good, but it leaves me that bitter sensation inside, like it could have been something way more epic than what I've got.

Rating: 4 stars

lalalalalalala Still plan on reading this one lalalalalalala

The breaking of the wall: (One Shot)

I... I don't think I can rate this one...

Nor comment about it.

Just... Just give it a read if you feel like having something random.

I liked the concept for this one, but the execution of it left something to be desired.

Trixie's bargain: (One Shot)

This one manages to make more sense than the last one that's for sure.

Still random as hell, but I can actually rate this one, because I think(?) I enjoyed it. >_>

Rating: 4 Stars. (yes, I have different standards when it comes to random and/or comedy)

This one was fun as hell, though.

The romancing quest:

You know, I'm starting to hate how well Twilight is taking the fact that she was a prize in a race.

I thought it was a spur of the moment thing but it seems to be more related to her total lack of knowledge about how love works.

Or not.

I'm really confused about this.

Having said that, I'm still following this fic but this whole race thing is bugging me.

I kind of have to think that that is the point. Luna has certainly made no effort to hide her contempt of the matter, but I'm still not quite sure what she has up her sleeve.

Well, it seems that Italy is going to have its own dub of FiM, starting September 2011. I don't know what to say about it. Good thing, I guess. I only hope they use the original names. Last time I checked, G1 Spike was called Dragoberto in the italian dub.

Edited by PhantomNald

So. I saw five episodes in a row yesterday.

I heard the theme song.

129947817644982700.png

Only hardcore bronies hear the themesong over and over.

I'm soooo masculine.

FREAKING FLUTTERSHY <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh Daniel! You such a tease!

I'm actually surprised to see someone else bothered to post about the Latin American dub, I thought I was the only one who cared.

I'm a little short of time so I'll be brief in my review...

Twilight: I like this one, but it's a little too childish compared to Tara's voice, she also lacks that awesome tone the english VA applies while being sarcastic or deadpan. (think that's the right word, don't have time to check).

Pinkie: Good but for some reason I think it could swtich with Rarity (while singing at least).

Applejack: Do not want. I don't mind the accent at all but that voice... Ugh...

Rainbow: I think they got the wrong powerpuff, they were supposed to get Buttercup instead of Bubbles... Still good (but the voice goes wy to high pitch in some moments).

Rarity: Good, but for some reason I think it could switch with Pinkie.

Fluttershy: Did you hear her? She was so asertive back there! n.n (I actually don't mind about this, I like her voice).

Spike: Oh god it's Ben! And Naruto! And it's perfect!

So besides Applejack I'm okay with this.

EDIT: I love this guy, he knows the power he wields and enjoys every single second of it.

Edited by gato

Hell yes, Vinyl hijack.

Debated whether to post this or not for over a month, but screw it. It's an accurate portrayal of /v/; What's not to like? Spoilered for size.

theartofthegame.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I actually teared up a little. Wow. Comic WIN. (Also, nice to see that Dash didn't die young as I would have expected with her reckless nature XD)

What happened to love and tolerance, bro?

What happened to looking out for your fellow bronies and not Super Mario 64 "Merry-Go-Rickrollround" them?