Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

Sick of Shadow spamming hosts online?

Just joined a game with yet another Shadow spamming host on PSN on the Shibuya Downtown track, I played as Amy and no matter how hard he tried to hold first place I always came back to snag it which was really pissing him off. Laps were set to 9 and we had a full room but after nearly 5 laps of dealing with me he rage quitted before I could beat him.

See? Sumo said the racers are balanced its just no-one knew Amy was the key to beating Shadow :lol:

Sonic_Sega_All-StarsRacing_AmyRose.jpg

Shadow spammers bow down to your queen

Bikes are overpowered. I said this a little while ago and S0L said that bikes had weak spots that balanced them out. The longer recover times only matter if you're racing with items and can't defend yourself and lower speed doesn't have an impact so long as you can boost.

Most people online with bikes suck. :P

Half of them don't know how to do a wheelie boost.

I'm feeling quite lucky right now as I'm one of the only ten people to earn the Dreamarena trophy and the third in the world to get the platinum. I know it's not worth being proud of since it's a glitched trophy that would be piss easy otherwise but it's kinda cool being so close to first in world at something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bikes are overpowered. I said this a little while ago and S0L said that bikes had weak spots that balanced them out. The longer recover times only matter if you're racing with items and can't defend yourself and lower speed doesn't have an impact so long as you can boost.

Bikes are not overpowered. It's to do with how each player uses their character.

I played around 10 games last night with the dude from America (he's now on my friends list), he was Sonic last night, his buddy was tails, almost nobody could touch them, I even tried to be Alex Kidd just to see if I could catch the guy that was Sonic. I couldn't do it, I know how to boost as bikes and when to do it. But I couldn't catch him, he knew every course and knew exactly when he should boost with his character and how to drift. Thats why nobody could catch him, he knew how to play as Sonic.

The only time I beat him was twice, both occasions I was Knuckles, but the circumstances were very different.

The first time in was on the Samba course, the one where you do those jumps and don't go into the groovy fantasy world, even then, he was right up on my tail the whole time, if I had made one mistake he would have won. The second time I didn't win the race but he was very unlucky, it was on the other Samba track where you go into that tunnel filled with spiders and the giant axe blade. He kept getting hit, so bye bye first place.

Knuckles definately has an advantage when it comes to his initial boost and his boosting power, I think that bikes may seem over powered due to their extra ability to boost, but if you get to know a character and each track, you'll obliterate them. Especially after what I saw last night, theres no way that bikes are the answer to winning a race.

Yeah, I already read about that and don't agree. The bikes do dominate.

Well dur, of course the bikes will dominate when you let them dominate.

I'd just like to say that motorbikes aren't overly powerful and Sonic still remains my favourite character to play, despite having played (nearly - still refuse to unlock Big the Cat) all of the other racers in at least one of their own Grand Prix tournaments. I find all my best times come from Sonic... but then, I played as him since Day One, so I guess at the end of the day it just depends on the driver more than anything. That, plus track knowledge: on my less favourite tracks, I'm pretty bad, but on my favourites I know every corner, every drift, how long to hold and when to open up the taps. I know how many stunts I can fit into a jump and I know which corners I can cut and which shortcuts aren't even that good at cutting things short. I'm most comfortable with Sonic and feel confident that I could give any racer with any character a run for his/her/its money.

But newbies coming fresh to the game, racing other newbies? Yeah, tell 'em how to pull a wheelie and they'll win every time as Shadow, Ryo Hazuki, Alex Kidd or (damn him) Big the Cat.

lol @ refusing to unlock Big.

Just so you know, after 12 hours of play, Big will unlock himself. He is that powerful.

lol @ refusing to unlock Big.

Just so you know, after 12 hours of play, Big will unlock himself. He is that powerful.

darth_vader_nooo1.jpg

Sonic actually is the best character in the game as he has the best overall stats. If you compile everyone's individual stats and put them on a scale of one to ten, the average character's adds up to 28 and Sonic's adds up to 30.

Food for thought.

Power up the game and you'll hear "Iiiii'm unlocking myyyyself! Leeeet's goooo froggy!" and quite literally Big rips himself from the Sega Shop (tossing some Sega Miles on the floor, muttering "keeeep the chaaaaange!") and walks into the character select screen. Unfortunately, in climbing into the portrait area he knocks Ryo and Opa Opa out of the game. :(

I recommend unlocking him now to save yourself this trouble.

• Thumbs Up 5

Then the failing is you, bikes are not overpowered, now that I'm getting used to the courses and how to use various characters I can eailly beat a bike player.

Sonic actually is the best character in the game as he has the best overall stats. If you compile everyone's individual stats and put them on a scale of one to ten, the average character's adds up to 28 and Sonic's adds up to 30.

Food for thought.

Identical stats to AiAi, but with a superior boost.

Identical stats to AiAi, but with a superior boost.

The stats may look nice on paper, but how you actually use that in the game is more to do if you win races or not, anything from the direction that the front wheels face when you enter a drift has an influence on it and stats have very little influence when you take this into consideration.

Lets have an example. On the Super Monkey Ball courses, I've seen people playing those courses who don't take their finger off the accelerate button, yet I tend to let it go on some of the corners and I can always make the corner faster and smoother than any character which has better stats for corners if the player is keeping that button held down.

Edited by Casanova

I was just making the point that Sonic is the technically 'superior' character. So if people don't complain about losing to Sonic, then they shouldn't complain about losing to bike characters.

Power up the game and you'll hear "Iiiii'm unlocking myyyyself! Leeeet's goooo froggy!" and quite literally Big rips himself from the Sega Shop (tossing some Sega Miles on the floor, muttering "keeeep the chaaaaange!") and walks into the character select screen. Unfortunately, in climbing into the portrait area he knocks Ryo and Opa Opa out of the game. :(

I recommend unlocking him now to save yourself this trouble.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Genius.

Oh, and people don't mind losing to Sonic because HE'S FREAKIN' SONIC!! :D

Picture this, two people with identical skill, one is Sonic, one is AiAi. Who would win? Sonic. Sonic. Sonic.

How can anyone say that's balanced? Don't give me the old "it's based on the players' skill" argument, because out of a Sonic player and an AiAi player with identical skill, the result will always be the same.

Just so you know, I'm not even particularly angry about it, but there's no point in denying it.

ah, but lets say that Aiai hits Sonic with a boxing glove near the end of the final lap, or Sonic hits a badnik, or Knuckles rams Sonic. So many variables!

And all those variables that you mentioned can be turned off in some way.

Once again, I make the point that if people aren't whining about Sonic the 'overpowered' Hedgehog, they shouldn't whine about bikes.

ah, but lets say that Aiai hits Sonic with a boxing glove near the end of the final lap, or Sonic hits a badnik, or Knuckles rams Sonic. So many variables!

And that's why you don't look at this game on a competitive level.

Although if we take in equal skill here, if the Sonic player is bad enough to run into a obstacle, so is the Aiai player.

But again, I wouldn't look at this game in that way.

I think we're dipping into the realm of alternate dimensional theory, predetermination and something that was on a rerun of Star Trek last week.

Better to not think too hard about the potential of a monkey beating a hedgehog in a car race.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think we're dipping into the realm of alternate dimensional theory, predetermination and something that was on a rerun of Star Trek last week.

Good point. Surely the real question is, who would win: Sonic or Mirror Universe Sonic (with goatee)?

Wait, scratch that. Original the Character (aka Shadow) is there to answer that.

I don't really care who is better than who. I use who I want to use and win the vast majority of my races regardless.

I just think all the complaining about Knuckles and bike characters is silly.

I find it strange that people almost murdered Sumo and SEGA because we didn't get any news of Knuckles appearing in the game until a late date and that now.... people bitch about Knuckles user's....

Make you your mind please?

You keep loosing to Sonic user's but don't complain? why? cause he's Sonic?

But when it concerns one of you most favorite/respected character other then Sonic you'll complain? laaame...

Bike user's.... Screw them off in races instead of complaining by practicing and improving your racing skills for froggy's sake!! Then you won't have a reason to complain.

There is no reason to complain in a race. You either sharpen your talents to beat them or you don't race them at all, final.