Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

One pet peeve of mine is when people make the pretentious claim: "If you don't like all Sonic games, then you are not a true Sonic fan!" I love almost every Sonic game out there, except for Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, '06, Black Knight, the Sonic 4 duology, the latter two Sonic Riders games, and many others. Because I don't like some games in the series means I'm not a "true" fan? No.

Edited by Star Wars
  • Thumbs Up 2

One pet peeve of mine is when people make the pretentious claim: "If you don't like all Sonic games, then you are not a true Sonic fan!" I love almost every Sonic game out there, except for Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, '06, Black Knight, the Sonic 4 duology, the latter two Sonic Riders games, and many others. Because I don't like some games in the series means I'm not a "true" fan? No.

Adding to this, I'd probably be eaten alive if I ever told anyone outside of this forum that I have never played or even care to try out the Classic Era Games, and that I find the 3D games, even with their problems, a little more intriguing (if not in gameplay, then just the conversation material in general).

Comparing "fan levels," for lack of better terminology that doesn't involve the male genitalia in some way or form, is a pet peeve of mine in general rather it's Sonic or not.  I mean, it's okay to take pride in your love for something, but when you're putting others down because they have less of an affection for something, that's just... sad.  Really, really sad.  I'm not going to typecast and say everyone who does this is a lonely, miserable person with nothing else going for them, but it definitely shows a very questionable choice of priorities.

In my opinion, if there is such a thing as a "true fan," which I'll say right now I don't believe there is, it would be one who can see and objectively discuss in a respectable manner all aspects of a franchise, both good and bad.  The flaws of a series are no less essential than the shining moments.  Sure Sonic '06 is a horrible, horrible game, but its infamy has become a staple part of the fandome and being able to acknowledge it as a failure, rather you're one of the few defenders of the game or not, and praise the good parts as good is probably the best way to show love and support for a franchise.  Though, like I said, if your main priority in life is showing your obsession with a cartoon blue hedgehog, then that's a tad worrying, but to each their own.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's not really a pet peeve, more a fridge logic thing, but how does Knuckles turning the lights off in Carnival Night make the water level rise? Are they linked? And how does the water reaching all the way up to the mountains make any sense? Surely this would mean half the island would be entirely underwater?

VIDEO GAME LOGIC

Wow, that water is pretty damn bad. Way too saturated in color.

Anyway, I wish people would stop applying the term "genre roulette" to any games and ideas that don't change the genre. It dilutes the term and immediately shuts down interesting ideas from being reused and explored just because it isn't straight reskinning of Sonic. Platforming games by their very nature can be inclusive to a lot of tasks, tools, and maneuvering abilities for the player character to use to get to where they need to go. It's not gonna completely "change the genre" to have multiple characters that actually move differently.

Yes, this is true, but Sonic Team took it too far all the times they tried, minus some of the SA1 playstyles. I don't mind giving characters different handling attributes (as long as they are all reasonably fast and handle well) and level designs catered towards their abilities and handling, but when you completely change the core objective: get to the goal: you are starting to go too far in my opinion. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)
  • Thumbs Up 1

People call Heroes and Sonic 06 genre roulette games when neither of them ever reach that level of inconsistency. Sonic 06 in particular regularly has people giving it anywhere from 12 to 20 genres which is just wrong. At best, you can say it has three if you think the differences between the campaigns like a few vehicle sections and puzzle-solving justifies them as completely unique entities from one another (I think that's ridiculous), but the Amigos all function in a classic style and in turn are based off of the same base gameplay the hedgehogs have. The goal of everyone also remains the same: get to the end. There's just a myriad of different ways to do so.

Basically, "genre roulette" has almost become shorthand for "too many characters that don't play exactly like I want them to," with "exactly like I want them to" usually meaning Sonic clones with a single special ability.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 4

People call Heroes and Sonic 06 genre roulette games when neither of them ever reach that level of inconsistency. Sonic 06 in particular regularly has people giving it anywhere from 12 to 20 genres which is just wrong. At best, you can say it has three if you think the differences between the campaigns like a few vehicle sections and puzzle-solving justifies them as completely unique entities from one another (I think that's ridiculous), but the Amigos all function in a classic style and in turn are based off of the same base gameplay the hedgehogs have. The goal of everyone also remains the same: get to the end. There's just a myriad of different ways to do so.

Basically, "genre roulette" has almost become shorthand for "too many characters that don't play exactly like I want them to," with "exactly like I want them to" usually meaning Sonic clones with a single special ability.

I would say that Team Chaotix in Heroes was genre roulette. All the other teams were about platforming, speed, and getting to the goal, but Chaotix was about............missions. That's what I call genre roulette.

And 06 sucked regardless of genre roulette or not, so no arguments there.

I would say that Team Chaotix in Heroes was genre roulette. All the other teams were about platforming, speed, and getting to the goal, but Chaotix was about............missions. That's what I call genre roulette.

Which, in my opinion, wouldn't have been a bad thing if it wasn't some annoying scavenger hunt that leaves you running in circles for about ten minutes.  I really hate going through Team Chaotix's missions.

I wouldn't say a mission-based system precludes Team Chaotix's campaign from still being a platformer nor do I think "get to the goal" is that strong a qualifier for a platformer. No one's going to argue the Werehog isn't genre roulette because his actual mission is "get to the goal."

I wouldn't say a mission-based system precludes Team Chaotix's campaign from still being a platformer nor do I think "get to the goal" is that strong a qualifier for a platformer. No one's going to argue the Werehog isn't genre roulette because his actual mission is "get to the goal."

Well, obviously it should not be too removed from Sonic's core playstyle. As in, being super slow like the Werehog.

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

"Genre" may not be quite the right word for it, but I don't think people are wrong in criticizing when a game is trying to be too many different things. I'm not saying that the series can only do one thing, but I think the characters should have more in common than just running and jumping.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find the Werehog (and to a lesser extent SA2's Shooting) the most alien genre roulette gameplay style purely because the rings don't function like rings and Sonic uses a health bar. It doesn't help that the Werehog gameplay is devoid of even the most basic Sonic gimmicks, there aren't even springs.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ooh! I've got another one on the "character mutilation by certain fans" front that peeves me alongside Bitch!Sally and Uke!Sonic.

The morphing of game Eggman into a malevolent mass murderer who kills some Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's entire family, making said Sue/Stu an angstwad and swear revenge against the doctor in some fanmade twaddle of a fancharacter's bio/fanfiction.

I'm sure fellow game Eggman fans wholeheartedly agree with me on this.

Yes, yes. I despise the generic doomsday villain portrayal of Robotnik, be it in SatAM, or in fan work. That brings us to another pet peeve of mine - when the fans say the "original" Eggman was evil and cruel, and use that as an excuse to portray him like that. Nonsense! The Eggman we saw in the games has always been goofy and bombastic, ever since Sonic 1 you could see the narcissistic, laughing villain; the opposite of the Julian-based pile of feces those fans use. I liked how Generations destroy that notion once and for all.

• Thumbs Up 8

Annoying kids who insist that Knuckles really does say "shit" in Heroes and it's not just a poor voice clip under poor sound editing conditions that makes it sound like he's saying that... that just makes me want to rip my hair out.  If anyone wants an example of Knuckles really and genuinely saying "shit," play SA2 and turn the language to Japanese, try using Shovel Claw on a surface where you can't dig, and have fun.

That being said, saying SHIT ROCK YEAH is still fun.  It's just when people, namely kids as previously stated, make the argument that he genuinely does say the word it's nerve-grating.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ooh! I've got another one on the "character mutilation by certain fans" front that peeves me alongside Bitch!Sally and Uke!Sonic.

The morphing of game Eggman into a malevolent mass murderer who kills some Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's entire family, making said Sue/Stu an angstwad and swear revenge against the doctor in some fanmade twaddle of a fancharacter's bio/fanfiction.

I'm sure fellow game Eggman fans wholeheartedly agree with me on this.

Hey, just fan characters in GENERAL whose parents get killed off by some 'evil force' pisses me off, never mind it being Robotnik. Because the majority of the time, said fan character becomes a freaking angst-filled Mary Sue with all these ridiculous powers.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, just fan characters in GENERAL whose parents get killed off by some 'evil force' pisses me off, never mind it being Robotnik. Because the majority of the time, said fan character becomes a freaking angst-filled Mary Sue with all these ridiculous powers.

I want to say that I'm with you all on this regard, but... when I was younger and... I WAS YOUNG OKAY??!?!?!! sad.png  But yeah, now that I'm older I see how stupid and unoriginal it is.  Even though I'm not a huge fan of superheroes, that's what I love about Spider-Man.  His Uncle Ben dies, but he doesn't become annoyingly angsty. :\ (EDIT - Well, at least not ALL the time)

Edited by Akito

I want to say that I'm with you all on this regard, but... when I was younger and... I WAS YOUNG OKAY??!?!?!! sad.png  But yeah, now that I'm older I see how stupid and unoriginal it is.  Even though I'm not a huge fan of superheroes, that's what I love about Spider-Man.  His Uncle Ben dies, but he doesn't become annoyingly angsty. :\ (EDIT - Well, at least not ALL the time)

Well, that's the thing. He DOESN'T become angsty.

Well, that's the thing. He DOESN'T become angsty.

Well, I think there were some spinoff comics where he did, but don't quote me on that because I only follow the movies and the 90's series to a limited extent.  Those probably all fall under "we don't talk about" category though.

People who accused Sonic Colors and it's game style being inspired from Galaxy, but I fail to see how that's the case to be honest.

People who accused Sonic Colors and it's game style being inspired from Galaxy, but I fail to see how that's the case to be honest.

Even though it's been confirmed in interviews that they were inspired by Galaxy...

Even though it's been confirmed in interviews that they were inspired by Galaxy...

It's funny that, being accused of being inspired when artists are inspired through inspiration they get from looking at other pieces of art when seeking inspiration.

WHEN WILL THE CONFUSION END??

Whenever the VA's of the character's change, they are quite grating for me, initially. They eventually grow on me, though.

When the Chaos Emeralds are used in Sonic Heroes. I would've liked to see Super Knuckles instead of in-a-glowing-ball Knuckles. Just a small complaint.

ALL THE SONICxSHADOW ART IN THEIR RESPECTIVE TUMBLR TAGS

My pet-peeve is when people say Sonic 06 is the worst game. Not the worst Sonic game, the worst game ever, when it;s not! I don't even think 06 is the worst Sonic game, Secret Rings is IMO. Anyways, just my input.Ta-ta, everyone.