Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

My pet-peeve is when people say Sonic 06 is the worst game. Not the worst Sonic game, the worst game ever, when it;s not! I don't even think 06 is the worst Sonic game, Secret Rings is IMO. Anyways, just my input.Ta-ta, everyone.
Firstly, It's their opinion. Secondly, the game may be of slightly higher quality than secret rings( which I doubt), but 06 was probably a much larger dissapointment than secret rings ever was. Lets be honest, is the main series game or spinoff more likely to have a negative effect on you when they both suck? I haven't played either( and probably never will, since I don't go out of my way to play shit), but it's pretty easy to see why fans would consider 06 the worst game.

After browsing some of the darker corners of the internet, I've found another peeve.  People who still insist the Sonic Bible is canon.  You know the Americanized back story where Dr. Eggman was originally Dr. Ovi Kintobor and Sonic lived in Kansas with his mother and five sisters?  mellow.png

Give it up people.  The Western canon died in 1998.  Just let it go.

Sonic lived in Kansas with his mother and five sisters?  mellow.png

Huh, good thing he missed the tornado; he probably would have pissed off the wicked witches far worse than Dorothy did.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, pretty much what Verte sai-

- SatSR has no copious glitches or physics screws that break the game's playability. Unlike SONIC '06.

Oh my.

Okay then. The only reason that I would think SatSR is a worse game than 06 is because of the controls. Because there are none. Other than the gameplay being shit, SatSR gets everything else right. Which I guess would be a pet peeve of mine.

Huh. A pet peeve in a pet peeve topic, go figure?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, pretty much what Verte sai-

Oh my.

Okay then. The only reason that I would think SatSR is a worse game than 06 is because of the controls. Because there are none. Other than the gameplay being shit, SatSR gets everything else right. Which I guess would be a pet peeve of mine.

Huh. A pet peeve in a pet peeve topic, go figure?

SatSR has physics screws? Where? I agree with the bad controls that are needlessly imprecise and finicky but bad controls =/= screwed-up physics.

SatSR has physics screws? Where? I agree with the bad controls that are needlessly imprecise and finicky but bad controls =/= screwed-up physics.

SatSR has no physics involved in its gameplay to cause problems in the first place. It's like saying '06 is better because it's motion controls aren't terrible. 

SatSR has no physics involved in its gameplay to cause problems in the first place. It's like saying '06 is better because it's motion controls aren't terrible. 

Yes it does. Physics dictate how each skill works. For example, Aegis/Volcano Slider's  traction i.e How far you can slide with it are affected by running speed, the skill which allows for more effective braking as well as the skill which allows for smoother left-right movement. Remove the latter three skills and then see how much the physics of Aegis/Volcano Slider are affected. This is just a single example that shows how tightly the movement physics and skill system is programmed and shows how superior they generally are to '06's.

Consideration for how the physics of skills are affected by others is of prime importance when formulating a skill set for Sonic for specific missions in the interest of gaining gold medals. The game even prohibits certain skills being equipped at the same time because the physics or property of each skill would contradict the other.

Edited by Vertekins

I never understand it when people say Secret Rings has bad controls.  I've never had a problem with them.

One very small pet peeve of mine, in fact, is when people say that the "challenge isn't fair because of the controls."  I mean, I can see this in Unleashed (Wii), to a lesser extent Black Knight, and to a much greater extent Sonic '06, but in Secret Rings, I felt the challenge was very much based on skill and it never felt like it was the controller betraying me.  Granted, at times it felt unresponsive, but that was largely because I was performing the wrong movements or being too hastey with the movement.

That being said, it's just a small pet peeve of mine.  It doesn't grate too much on my nerves.  I can understand where they're getting at and I know that Wii games aren't exactly everyone's thing.  But then there's people who dismiss it entirely as a bad game and say IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBRU TO DO THIS LEVEL to mean that they're just terrible at the game.  I don't know.

I guess I should point out now that I'm a little biased because I love Secret Rings.  I thought it was fun, challenging, and I love the longevity of it.  I like that you can't just clear it 100% in a week or so.  I still haven't gotten everything in the game. (Largely because the cost of AA batteries and a lack of a Wii remote charger has me constantly waiting to buy a new pack of batteries whenever I feel like playing)  In fact, that's another thing.  Why do people criticize the game as being "too long?"  I mean, seriously.  Nobody complained about getting all the emblems in SA1/2, which was not only harder to do but was often complimented for adding replay value to the game, while Secret Rings gets needlessly criticized for taking a long time to clear 100% for a (what I believe to be) completely optional bonus of being able to pat yourself on the back for all the senselessly hard work you did. (Granted, some of Secret Rings' missions were a lot more frustrating than SA2's... seriously I hate those "Don't break anything" missions.)

ANYWAY before I go off on another rant, yeah, I liked Secret Rings and I don't get the criticisms directed toward it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Trying to play SatSR is like trying to control a wild dog on a leash. Except you're not just taking him for a walk around the block, you're dodging fire and spikes and monsters and hitting switches and doing backflips and a dozen other things. Controlling Sonic in any context is a struggle, and a lot of the challenges require precision that you just don't have. And I say this as someone who 100%ed the game. Every mission, every red ring (or whatever they were), every gold medal, every award. If not for my friends Obsession and Compulsion I never would've made it half that far, and I can't blame anyone who doesn't, considering how difficult it is to do anything.

• Thumbs Up 7

I fucking despise Secret Ring's controls, it's nothing but an exercise in horror and pure frustration, im srprised I beat the game the first time.

This is comming from someone who can handle Sonic Heroes' somewhat spastic controls.

• Thumbs Up 2

Totally agree. I've always wondered why the game was so fixated on the Wii Remote sideways and motion control instead of having greater control with the Nunchuk. Even when you get a good gist of it you don't feel 100% in control and precision is too difficult to attain.

SatSR has the most hardcore difficulty of any Sonic game I ever played and 100% completed. Some of the mission's layouts and score requirements for golds are insanely hard to fulfill. Perfecting Dinosaur Jungle's Perfect Run still leaves me with bad memories ph34r.png

Sonic and the Secret Rings is the only game that made me ragequit. And it was only the level right after the tutorial too. 

The game would have been much better if it didn't try to shoehon in platforming sections, because platfoming simply DOES NOT mix with a speedy hedgehog that autoruns and can only be tamed with finiky motion controls.

Edited by Soniman

- SatSR shows no signs of being unfinished. Unlike SONIC '06

- SatSR doesn't shit all over Sonic's character, treat him like a buttmonkey and as a non-entity who has no relevance or importance in the plot like SONIC '06 does.

- SatSR's production values are much greater. Unlike SONIC '06 who's only production values lie in it's music and FMV sequences.

- SatSR's overall themes and art design are delightfully imaginative. Unlike SONIC '06's horrifically ugly take on 'realism'

- SatSR has a story that has no plotholes, no pretentious tone and does not, in any way, shape or form, have an idiot plot. Unlike SONIC '06.

- SatSR has a prominent female character who's predicament is believable and who's relation with the main character is charming and compelling unlike SONIC '06.

- SatSR has a villain who is clever, threatening and very powerful and who has ultimate control over and can manipulate the characters without the story morphing them into morons. Unlike SONIC '06.

- SatSR's gimmick with it's skill system is actually remarkably clever and the missions are designed in such a way that they demand you to learn the intricacies of this system if you want to excel. Unlike SONIC '06 whose level up items are useless, of extremely limited use and are broken/glitchy.

- SatSR has no copious glitches or physics screws that break the game's playability. Unlike SONIC '06.

The main thing for me is I actually LIKED Sonic 06. I thought its story was stupid and it had precise controls, but I ran into no glitches, even when attempting to. Plus, I was actually able to finish it 100%, unlike Secret Ring which I only beat the story. SR has worse controls IMO, a definite worse villain (too generic for my taste), and is much more frustrating.However, Secret Rings does have a better story and final boss, as well as Darkspine Sonic, so I'll give credit where credit is do. However, you will never, EVER convince me that 06 is worse than SR. Also, I hate the level up system. 

ANYWAY before I go off on another rant, yeah, I liked Secret Rings and I don't get the criticisms directed toward it.

This is exactly how I feel about 06. EXACTLY

How is Mephiles a better villain when none of his plans made sense? His whole shtick was to merge with Iblis. Is there any stated reason why he couldn't do it in Silver's time other than convenience of the narrative? If there was, why go through all of this manipulative hogwash with Silver and Shadow when we know that Iblis releases when Elise either cries or dies? And we know that Shadow by extension would've died when Solaris swallowed up everything, completely negating all of the "Join the dark side" nonsense. So skip all of that, stab her, merge with Iblis, kill physics. Simple. 

Mephiles isn't bad to me because he's a recolor or generic. He's bad simply because he's a dumb fuck.

• Thumbs Up 6

I wanna say that if Elise dies, Iblis dies with her, rather than be released, but don't quote me on that. It would explain why Mephilis was so bent on making Elise cry.

The cause of Crisis City's state in '06 was Elise's death on-board the Egg Carrier. This is proven by the news report that Tails finds in the computer in Crisis City's time period, proving that death of the vessel causes Iblis' release.

Not only does this plot point make Mephiles out to be an idiot, it also makes the Duke of Soleanna out to be an idiot as Elise's inevitable death would still have led to Iblis' release.

Edited by Vertekins

...How did Mephiles come into this?

A comparison between Sonic 06 and SatSR has branched off into discussion and their respective villains have come under scrutiny as a result... Did you read the thread? xP

I wanna say that if Elise dies, Iblis dies with her, rather than be released, but don't quote me on that. It would explain why Mephilis was so bent on making Elise cry.

Verte said what I was going to say.

The cause of Crisis City's state in '06 was Elise's death on-board the Egg Carrier. This is proven by the news report that Tails finds in the computer in Crisis City's time period, proving that death of the vessel causes Iblis' release.

Not only does this plot point make Mephiles out to be an idiot, it also makes the Duke of Soleanna out to be an idiot as Elise's inevitable death would still have led to Iblis' release.

Bu....but then why didn't the Duke just seal Iblis inside himself? Considering he was one foot in the grave anyway and..and..a.sjdhaksjbakld

Bu....but then why didn't the Duke just seal Iblis inside himself? Considering he was one foot in the grave anyway and..and..a.sjdhaksjbakld

Because Iblis would've released five minutes later as a result of his death and killed everything sooner? 

Granted, all of this could've been circumvented by never even attempting the experiments in the first place. What were they for again anyway? Just to resurrect some sun god or something?

Because the second he died it would've gotten out?

I personally thought though that the reason as to why Mephiles could not fuse with Iblis 200 years later was because Iblis had established itself in a way that made it impossible to fuse with. I guess it's only possible to fuse with it when it's still in it's recently-unsealed state as swirling flames rather than a giant lava monster.

Still makes Mephiles out to be an idiot since, as others have already stated, he could've killed Elise to get at Iblis.

What also makes Mephiles out to be a complete idiot and '06's plot to be complete bunk is the way he is described as seeking-out Emeralds when the last story showed him summoning them to his side.

Granted, all of this could've been circumvented by never even attempting

the experiments in the first place. What were they for again anyway?

Just to resurrect some sun god or something?

Making use of Solaris in order to gain control of time in order to avoid mistakes and fate. Screwing with the natural order basically.

Edited by Vertekins