Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I still don't understand how DBZ episodes got away with half the filler they did. Looking back, I could swear that there were more than a few episode spans where character A would spend the entire thing charging an attack for it to only result in everybody shocked that the attack barely scratched the other guy lol. Whats the point?

• Thumbs Up 3

Write the characters better, make the game play more in line of what you'd expect from a Sonic game, and ignore the idiots who scream "Sonic's shitty friends".  The people who use that phase are probably the same type of people who make "Drag-on Ball" and "5 episodes to change a lightbulb" jokes about the Dragon Ball franchise; casual onlookers who over-exaggerate the minute negatives.  These people have probably never played a Sonic game for more than 5 minutes and learned all they know from the biased jerks from IGN and various other game review sites who bash post-Sonic 2006 games for the sake of being post-Sonic 2006 games.

Yeah, I'm going to go with the posters above me.  I watched DBZ from beginning to end and while I can appreciate it for its nostalgic value and as a relevant cultural icon, the amount of filler and episodes where absolutely nothing happened bored me to tears as both a kid and adult.  When someone says that they could have five episodes to change a lightbulb, rather they're casual or hardcore watchers, I can say for certain that they're hardly exaggerating.

But I do agree that it's annoying when people say that they should drop the additional characters aside from Sonic and Robotnik.  I mean, what is a series without side characters?  If it were just Sonic and Robotnik, the whole time, the game would be pretty stale pretty quickly.

Edited by Akito

Yeah, I'm going to go with the posters above me.  I watched DBZ from beginning to end and while I can appreciate it for its nostalgic value and as a relevant cultural icon, the amount of filler and episodes where absolutely nothing happened bored me to tears as both a kid and adult.  When someone says that they could have five episodes to change a lightbulb, rather they're casual or hardcore watchers, I can say for certain that they're hardly exaggerating.

To be honest, I usually read the manga over watching Z or Kai because of how damn slow they are.  I'm an avid hater of anime filler and one of the staunchest manga purist you'll ever find happy.png .   I just couldn't think of any other examples is all.  But I still stand by my statement of hatred against those who use the phase "Sonic's shitty friends" angry.png .

When people go around bashing a couple or a character to death.

People going around bashing Modern Sonic and worshipping Classic Sonic.

Don't get me wrong, though, I don't hate Classic Sonic. But I discovered Sonic through the Modern Sonic.

People were doing this?

And another one: People who fail to recognize the difference between a foot race and a vehicular race. The complaints about Sonic being within the same state as a vehicle get on my tits. "He's faster than car/bike/board/boat/train/dirigible so why doesn't he just run?" Because running on the track is against the rules of the race? Because running is a completely different skill than driving and thus the former has no bearing on the latter? Because Sonic wants to drive and you can kiss his ass??? I mean, I don't understand what is difficult about this to comprehend. Wouldn't you look at someone funny if they were offended that Usain Bolt enjoyed kart riding at Andretti simply because he's one of the fastest human beings on the planet? Well there you go, that's why I want to e-smack anyone who points out the obvious. :|

You got a point there XD

The stupid as shit belief that we absolutely need a Sonic Adventure 3. I mean fucking christ, whenever the subject gets brought up, nobody even knows what they want except for that shitty name. What exactly defines a "Sonic Adventure" game anyways? Gameplay Roulette? The Sonic Adventure series doesn't exactly have a real particular "style", hell, I can reasonably argue Sonic 06 is more of a sequel to Sonic Adventure than Sonic Adventure 2 is.

I see I am not the only person annoyed by this!

The only thing I hate about Sally's design is her hair.  I HATE it when female anthropomorphic characters have hair; such as Lola Bunny (Looney Tunes), Cleo (Heathcliff), and all the females from SwatKats.  It looks stupid, the design clashes with pretty much every other character on the show/comic, and it doesn't make any sense.  They have hair growing out of their fur? What? Why? How?

And Sally isn't the only offender in the Archie Comics there's also Bernadette Hedgehog, Rosemary Prower, Fiona Fox, Julie-Su, and a fuck ton of other characters who would all look so much better without their ridiculous hair.  For examples of female anthro characters hair done right, please see: Amy Rose, Blaze the Cat, and Dot Warner (Animaniacs).

While on the subject of Sally, one of my biggest pet peeves with the Sonic franchise is anybody who thinks any of the SatAM and/or Archie characters need to be added to the games.  FUCKING NO!  The day that happens, which I doubt it EVER will, is the day I storm out of the franchise and never look back.  The game canon already has more characters than Sega already knows what to do with; how the HELL will adding any more help anything?

And speaking of characters, another one my berserk buttons is when some idiot suggests that the characters should only be limited to Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, or in more extreme cases just Sonic and Eggman.  Again NO!  Some of the other characters have been around since damn near the beginning and helped build the franchise just as much as the three aforementioned.  Yes, they haven't been well implemented story-wise in a long while and we've had more examples of bad alternate game play ('06, Heroes, Adventure series) than good alternate game play (S3nK, Jump) but that doesn't mean you should throw in the towel and pretend those others characters never existed; that's the cowards way out. 

Write the characters better, make the game play more in line of what you'd expect from a Sonic game, and ignore the idiots who scream "Sonic's shitty friends".  The people who use that phase are probably the same type of people who make "Drag-on Ball" and "5 episodes to change a lightbulb" jokes about the Dragon Ball franchise; casual onlookers who over-exaggerate the minute negatives.  These people have probably never played a Sonic game for more than 5 minutes and learned all they know from the biased jerks from IGN and various other game review sites who bash post-Sonic 2006 games for the sake of being post-Sonic 2006 games.

Not to mention how boring it would be to only have only three characters in a franchise.  Does the Mario series only have Mario, Peach, and Koopa? NO!  Did classic Disney only have Mickey, Donald, and Goofy? NO!  Does Looney Tunes only consist of Bugs, Daffy, and Elmer? NO!

As Eggman once said, "The more the merrier"!  So long as their well-written, actually have a purpose in the story rather than being shoehorned in, and have polished Sonic-like gameplay, add as many characters as you'd like Sega!  So long as their from the game universe.tongue.png

I really like you. xD I agree especially what you said about other characters in the series. That's why I get annoyed when the crowd who screams 'shitty friends' demands that Sega should get rid of every character except for Sonic and Robotnik. The games is already starting to get stale because of this. They need to start spicing things up again!

• Thumbs Up 2

I still don't understand how DBZ episodes got away with half the filler they did. Looking back, I could swear that there were more than a few episode spans where character A would spend the entire thing charging an attack for it to only result in everybody shocked that the attack barely scratched the other guy lol. Whats the point?

I also love how some shows frequently show characters talking from behind so they don't even have to animate a mouth! As for Sonic pet peeves, one minor thing is that Sonic doesn't even roll on the ground anymore, not including Sonic 4.

Okay, I gotta say, I HATE how shiny the HD ports of SADX are. The GC version was a little shiny too, but holy balls it looks like they assaulted the characters with the dodge tool in these....

Also, this is a nitpick, but I can't stand the water they used in Emerald Coast, it looks like frozen blueberry jello to me. The water was fine (and way better) in the GC and DC ports, why did they bother anyway? I mean, look:

blueberryjello_zps4de7f1b0.pngHD

normalwater_zpsdf1aec0e.pngGC

Edited by Iggy
  • Thumbs Up 6

Okay, I gotta say, I HATE how shiny the HD ports of SADX are. The GC version was a little shiny too, but holy balls it looks like they assaulted the characters with the dodge tool in these....

Also, this is a nitpick, but I can't stand the water they used in Emerald Coast, it looks like frozen blueberry jello to me. The water was fine (and way better) in the GC and DC ports, why did they bother anyway? I mean, look:

I haven't played SA in ages, but wasn't the water like that in the 2004 PC port? If not, that's weird...

Edited by Chaos Smith

Wow, that water is pretty damn bad. Way too saturated in color.

Anyway, I wish people would stop applying the term "genre roulette" to any games and ideas that don't change the genre. It dilutes the term and immediately shuts down interesting ideas from being reused and explored just because it isn't straight reskinning of Sonic. Platforming games by their very nature can be inclusive to a lot of tasks, tools, and maneuvering abilities for the player character to use to get to where they need to go. It's not gonna completely "change the genre" to have multiple characters that actually move differently.

• Thumbs Up 4

This was one of the main reasons I've always considered SA1 DC to be the best version of the game since it didn't have this problem at all.. plus it had much more dynamic shadows. That was a big problem I had with SADX; almost no dynamic shadows.

XQevI.png

Dreamcast version...

XKIDP.png

DX version.

A lot of the atmosphere was generally left out of SADX because of this. The need to 'SA2' everything up for the sake of consistency was silly too. That includes what they did to the textures as well as what they did to the models.. although admittedly the models were less of an offense minus Sonic himself.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 2

Something that really bothers me is the slide move. It doesn't have any kind of use other than serve as a reaction test every now and then. It's especially bad in 2D areas when you are moving at high speeds and have no way of knowing what's ahead. Then suddenly there's a wall in your way that you have to bypass by sliding under it but since you couldn't see it early enough, it just results in you running against the wall for a couple of seconds until you realize what just happened. It's not too great in 3D either and after you memorize the levels it becomes completely pointless. Why did this replace the roll again?

Something that really bothers me is the slide move. It doesn't have any kind of use other than serve as a reaction test every now and then.

Welcome to modern Sonic gameplay!

• Thumbs Up 4

Another pet peeve of mine is whenever Sonic fans produce something good or decent for this series like the Sonic 2 HD game for example, people on the internet say that 'Sonic fans can do better then Sega can' and 'this is better then anything Sega put out' but if it's something mediocre or awful like the Sonic fan film then they mock us saying 'Only Sonic fanboys is capable of making something like this for a series that hasn't been good for over a decade'.

• Thumbs Up 5

Another pet peeve of mine is whenever Sonic fans produce something good or decent for this series like the Sonic 2 HD game for example, people on the internet say that 'Sonic fans can do better then Sega can' and 'this is better then anything Sega put out' but if it's something mediocre or awful like the Sonic fan film then they mock us saying 'Only Sonic fanboys is capable of making something like this for a series that hasn't been good for over a decade'.

It's like they'll do anything to say something cynical or negative. In the fan game example, they don't say "The people who made this are awesome," they say "the people who didn't make this suck".

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sorry, what?

Games like S2HD, Sonic Fan Remix and Sonic 1 GBA absolutely crap all over SEGA's respective efforts in S4E1 for the former two, and Sonic Genesis for the latter. So much so that SEGA should in be downright embarrassed by their terrible efforts. And let's not forget that SEGA had a different port of Sonic CD in the works before taking on Taxmans work, which is infinitely superior to any ports or remakes they've put out in the past decade, if not longer. Sonic CD 2011 sold brilliantly, and was a simply fantastic project. Recreated on new platforms with proper widescreen support, rebuilt on an entirely new engine, extra features, worldwide soundtrack. It's everything a port/remake should be, and then some. Compare that to the other Classic Sonic games on digital platforms.

And of course something like the recent fan film will be panned- it's not very good. Had SEGA made it, you know the reception would have been a million times worse. Nobody has ever said "everything the fans do is better than what SEGA does". That would be bloody stupid. But the point still stands that fans have, on numerous occasions, created something that puts the official products to shame.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sorry, what?

Games like S2HD, Sonic Fan Remix and Sonic 1 GBA absolutely crap all over SEGA's respective efforts in S4E1 for the former two, and Sonic Genesis for the latter. So much so that SEGA should in be downright embarrassed by their terrible efforts. And let's not forget that SEGA had a different port of Sonic CD in the works before taking on Taxmans work, which is infinitely superior to any ports or remakes they've put out in the past decade, if not longer. Sonic CD 2011 sold brilliantly, and was a simply fantastic project. Recreated on new platforms with proper widescreen support, rebuilt on an entirely new engine, extra features, worldwide soundtrack. It's everything a port/remake should be, and then some. Compare that to the other Classic Sonic games on digital platforms.

Okay, that's great and all, and I appreciate all the effort and hard work put in to them but I'm not too crazy about them cause they're pretty much remaking or copying the official SEGA stuff that is already there.

It's okay if you don't like them, but that doesn't change the fact that Sega can't even copy their own stuff properly, while the fans can.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, that's great and all, and I appreciate all the effort and hard work put in to them but I'm not too crazy about them cause they're pretty much remaking or copying the official SEGA stuff that is already there.

Except they do it better than Sega does with their own products soooo.....

Right well...

No.

That's completely besides the point, you know. Those fan-games all manage to do exactly what SEGA attempted to do with their projects, regardless of if the content is new or not. That's all there is to it. You're also ignoring the fact that SEGA was doing it's own CD port, which they decided to can because they got the opportunity to use something fan made that was far, far superior.

If fangame-makers made absolutely everything that goes into their creations from the ground up such as great appropriate music, great sprites/pixel art, amazingly programmed physics etc then I'd be more inclined to give them respect on the basis that they can do everything better than SEGA.

If they didn't then they're not worthy of that level of respect.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm only using the S2HD fangame as an example so I don't need anymore lecture about some fangames being supposedly superior then Sega official products cause that's not the point I was trying to make. I'm just talking about when people use that 'fans can do better then Sega' on basically anything no matter how mediocre it is.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd also find the fangaming scene more palatable if the higher-profile titles weren't either remakes or architectural retreads of the classic games. If I had the time and talent for coding that some of the respective fan devs do, I'd be attempting to do all sorts of crazy shit with the formula and basic ideas (I want a Werehog-based game so badly; his arms are begging for a slingshot mechanic). Why stick so closely to an incessantly-consistent formula that's pretty much been perfected with S3&K anyway?

• Thumbs Up 5

If fangame-makers made absolutely everything that goes into their creations from the ground up such as great appropriate music, great sprites/pixel art, amazingly programmed physics etc then I'd be more inclined to give them respect on the basis that they can do everything better than SEGA.

If they didn't then they're not worthy of that level of respect.

You may not find all of that in one project, but I don't doubt that there are examples of every one of those in this fanbase.

Also considering how piss poor their attempts have been lately I don't think fans need "amazingly programmed" physics to outdo Sega on that front.

Why stick so closely to an incessantly-consistent formula that's pretty much been perfected with S3&K anyway?

I figure a lot of them got into Sonic hacking/fangames because Sega wasn't giving them those kinds of games and so they decided to create them themselves. And/or, it's a lot easier and safer to work within the well-examined and codified mechanics of the Genesis games than to make something new, so you see a lot of "my first Sonic fangame"s that play it safe...and then most people drop off before they even finish that.

• Thumbs Up 1