Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Speaking of pet-peeves in fanfiction, im really not fond of the common tendency among fanfiction writers to "normalize" the series setting and the characters lives, by which i mean doing things like have the characters go to school and do other stuff that "normal teenagers do". This "hey look, these characters are regular kids JUST LIKE U!! U CAN RELATE TO THEM!!"-stuff has been so extremely frequent in mainstream youth entertainment during the last decade and a half or so (unlike the case with a lot of earlier kids entertainment where the writers seemed to be confident that kids would watch it even if they didnt try to sqeeze in as much school-and-other-typical teen-related drama as possible), and i really dont need to see this kinda stuff even in fiction spawned from franchises where it doesnt actually exist in the offical franchise.

Of course, im not saying that this kinda fanfiction is always objectively bad. But basically, i prefer it when Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction is less like Kim Possibe / Harry Potter / Danny Phantom and more like, you know, Sonic the Hedgehog.

THIS MAN. Freaking THIS.

I absolutely despise High School fic's. I think they're samey, unrealistic and often contain Mary Sue FC's and terrible writing. The setting has zero appeal regarding Sonic.

What also kinda annoys me? Hurt fic's that conspicuously get across the author's penchant for Woobifying a character or their sadistic feelings towards a character. Note; Conspicuously get across this vibe. I mean due to writing that is nowhere near good enough to pull this kind of fic without revealing the author's penchant for writing character suffering or their inclination to completely morph a character's established personality in order to do this. It feels like a masochistic inclination. It's frequently purposeless, plotless drivel.

Also, fic summaries that contain poor grammar and spelling. Not saying this as some kind of grammar Nazi, it's just that if your summary is written as if you're illiterate than how in the world do you expect any potential reader to be enthusiastic or curious about your fic?

• Thumbs Up 4

THIS MAN. Freaking THIS.

Also, fic summaries that contain poor grammar and spelling. Not saying this as some kind of grammar Nazi, it's just that if your summary is written as if you're illiterate than how in the world do you expect any potential reader to be enthusiastic or curious about your fic?

I must definitely concur. While the beauty of much art is subjective, I think having consistent art style in drawing and consistent spelling/grammar in writing is the key to enjoyment.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

My personal pet peeves are more on the artistic side of things. Personally I don't really like it when an artist draws Sonic with really long quills. Like this for example:

tumblr_lzkpoiCEXY1rnsvazo1_400_zps244c3d

For a long time I thought long quills on sonic looked really neat and I started drawing him like that myself. I quickly grew out of it when I realized it made him look like he had really long hair.

But my biggest pet peeve is when I see Sonic characters drawn with realistic looking body proportions:

realbodyknux_zpsf3c864fc.png

It drives me nuts!

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't even mind High School AU's that much if they weren't so fucking predictable with their shit, it's really annoying.

My personal pet peeves are more on the artistic side of things. Personally I don't really like it when an artist draws Sonic with really long quills. Like this for example:

For a long time I thought long quills on sonic looked really neat and I started drawing him like that myself. I quickly grew out of it when I realized it made him look like he had really long hair.

Ah yes. While I enjoy giving Sonic longer/more numerous quills, that is TOO long. He should have several medium-length ones, not two very large Silver-style ones.

But my biggest pet peeve is when I see Sonic characters drawn with realistic looking body proportions:

It drives me nuts!

I actually don't mind more realistic proportions if you make the face realistic, usually. Like Feniiku, I believe it was.

But in that comic there, I just felt WEIRD.

It's one thing to see it in fanfiction. To see it in an officially-licensed comic book? What the bloody hell?!

It drives me nuts!

Knuckles looks like a girl and Sonic looks anorexic or something. And yeah, those quills are way too long.

Knuckles looks like a girl and Sonic looks anorexic or something. And yeah, those quills are way too long.

Yeahhhh, there are serious problems if the female looks bulkier than the male character, from a purely anatomical perspective.

Though I guess that can also be blamed on how Sonic's all cartoony and Sally's semi-realistic.

Either way, those limbs are so skinny it's kind of scary.

I think a lot of those Sonic goes to school fan fictions can probably be traced back to an Archie comic where the characters, presumably, went to school.  I've been googling in hopes of finding said issue, but I don't seem to be having much luck when the only keywords I can conjure is "archie sonic back to school."  However, you can find the cover in the "Extras" menu in Sonic Mega Collection.

Edited by Akito

I think a lot of those Sonic goes to school fan fictions can probably be traced back to an Archie comic where the characters, presumably, went to school.  I've been googling in hopes of finding said issue, but I don't seem to be having much luck when the only keywords I can conjure is "archie sonic back to school."  However, you can find the cover in the "Extras" menu in Sonic Mega Collection.

I believe the issue you're thinking of is Sonic #94.

Well that was during Archie's pit period, so it makes sense.

Even if I'm a bit of an apologist and can say it made sense in context. King Max was an arrogant jerk and basically said "leave it to the pros." Yeah, the same assclown that trusted a guy who betrayed his home country to dismantle the entire army is saying he's worthy of calling the shots.

Fortunately King Max's "professional" forces soon enough were shown to be completely incompetent and the FF were able to resume operations.

Really you can't blame Amadeus for wanting him dead.

I have a confession to make....... I sometimes call them coins on accident

I'm sorry

XD When I play Mario games I accidentally call the coins rings.

• Thumbs Up 1

All this Amy talk in the Popular/Unpopular opinions topic brought up an old pet peeve I had when I was younger, back in the day when I actually had a relatively large circle of friends who were into Sonic:

When Amy gets kidnapped and people ask why Sonic doesn't leave her to die since he "doesn't like her anyway."

I always thought it was, to put it bluntly, because he's not an asshole.  That's the thing about Sonic, he doesn't rescue people because he likes them, but because he feels it's the right thing to do.  That's the thing about heroes in general.  Also, I hardly find "being mildly annoying" a crime punishable by death and revocation of basic human animal South Islander person rights.

As for the "doesn't like her anyway part," yes, it's clear he finds her incredibly annoying, but they seem to get along okay when she's not gushing all over him.  He clearly respected her wishes and intuition when he was fighting Gamma on the Egg Carrier, among other instances.  I don't understand where people get the notion that he doesn't like her at the very least as a friend or acquaintance.

Like I said, though, this is a pet peeve that was more relevant when I was younger, and I guess some kids don't understand those kinds of character traits.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 8

I apologize if this has already been said, but... As they say, yolo. To start, I would like to clarify something. I don't mind drama; I don't mind OCs; I don't mind OC and Canon romance, but the fact remains that it must be believable. The canon characters must remain in character, and the OCs presented should have qualities that the canon character is believed to find attractive, and if it is not said directly what that character admires in a partner, then make educated guesses based on their personality and past interactions with others. The OC must have alleged faults, just like any normal person, and they can't know everything about everyone right away. I find this in a TON of fanfictions. Authors put their knowledge of the canon characters into the OCs that had just met Sonic and friends. I read about one (mary-sue) OC that knew all there was to know about Shadow only the day after she met him. That would be fine... IF HE TOLD HER, which he didn't. She just, um.. "sensed things", I guess. Then again, I don't see Shadow to be the type to spill out his entire sob story onto some random chick he just met and be okay with it. He's a reserved guy that doesn't talk much in the first place, let alone his past heartache. He doesn't trust people, so why would he just tell someone he met about his whole life? He wouldn't. OH. ANOTHER THING. it irritates me so much when authors with OCs make canon characters act out of character to provoke feelings of pity for their OC, to gain them sympathy and favor. "Oh, they're OC is so perfect." "Oh, she's never wrong." "Oh, it's all _____(insert canon character's name here)'s fault! He's so mean! Poor Mary-Sue!" We've all read stories that do that. The author has an OC that is so sweet and innocent, and then some minor drama happens. It's probably two guys fighting over her, and then Sonic or whoever just turns around and starts screaming at her, because the author wants to make their OC seem better, more innocent, more forgiving. Okay, that is just way too out of character. I'm pretty sure Sonic would never scream profanities at a girl no matter how frustrated he was, and if it somehow did slip, I'm pretty sure he would feel bad about it. My point is, I hate it when the author makes a bunch of bad things happen that center around the OC, yet are never the OCs fault. Why? Because they're perfect. ANNOYING. Anyway, that's my rant for tonight. Time to read some of my old fanfics so I can laugh at how hypocritical I am. (I used to have TONS of Mary-Sue OCs, and my fictions had all the problems stated above. XD )

• Thumbs Up 2

The Sally haters who claim she's a "slut" because she doesn't wear clothes dry.png

Let's take a bit of logic reasoning to this.

In-universe, does Sally act promiscuously? No.

In-universe, do other Mobian's treat her like crap because of any perceptions of suggestiveness drawn from her minimal clothing? No.

Is minimal clothing on a female Mobian considered "slutty" in-universe? No.

This is downright one of the silliest and most baseless reasons to hate on Sally. You wanna blame someone for her suggestive look from a human POV? Blame the artists who made visible breasts, navel and overall proportioning out of this;

sally.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

The Sally haters who claim she's a "slut" because she doesn't wear clothes dry.png

Verte, where the hell do you find these people? I can't believe for a second that anyone genuinely says that, lest they're either naive kids or they're seriously 'challenged' one way or another.

It's a bloody stupid thing to say and it should be obvious that's worth thinking about. Bloody hell...

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Verte, where the hell do you find these people? I can't believe for a second that anyone genuinely says that, lest they're either naive kids or they're seriously 'challenged' one way or another.

Well, DeviantART does have a lot of naive and seriously "challenged" folks...

• Thumbs Up 6

Verte, where the hell do you find these people? I can't believe for a second that anyone genuinely says lest, lest they're either naive kids or they're seriously challenged.

It's a bloody stupid thing to say and it should be obvious that's worth thinking about. Bloody hell...

The Sally haters. You know, the ones that you stumble across on DA and Fanfiction.net and other such typical places? I have seen this bull spouted a lot. And despite the fact that a lot of it comes from the mouths of blatant idiots, it's still fairly annoying.

I really do wish Sally would put on some fucking pants tho'.

I'm looking forward to the redesign coming after she's no longer roboticized.

Let's take a bit of logic reasoning to this.

In-universe, does Sally act promiscuously? No.

In-universe, do other Mobian's treat her like crap because of any perceptions of suggestiveness drawn from her minimal clothing? No.

Is minimal clothing on a female Mobian considered "slutty" in-universe? No.

This is downright one of the silliest and most baseless reasons to hate on Sally. You wanna blame someone for her suggestive look from a human POV? Blame the artists who made visible breasts, navel and overall proportioning out of this;

sally.jpg

I love you :(

Seriously, I'm neutral when it comes to Sally, but I have seen some weird posts on DeviantArt and places like that about her being "slutty" and it's... odd.  Very, very odd.  By that merit, Sonic must be a public flasher because...

sonic_public_flasher_zps89447e8b.png

... Oh.

• Thumbs Up 4

The Sally haters. You know, the ones that you stumble across on DA and Fanfiction.net and other such typical places? I have seen this bull spouted a lot. And despite the fact that a lot of it comes from the mouths of blatant idiots, it's still fairly annoying.

There argument itself is so moronic it just doesn't warrant the time of day. Like, it's absolutely hilarious that such folk exist! And that people can seriously get wound up about those sorts of things, and look at the franchise in that light, is unbelievable. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

There argument itself is so moronic it just doesn't warrant the time of day. Like, it's absolutely hilarious that such folk exist! And that people can seriously get wound up about those sorts of things, and look at the franchise in that light, is unbelievable. 

I struggle to see what's unbelievable about it, this IS the Sonic fandom after all tongue.png 

The only thing I hate about Sally's design is her hair.  I HATE it when female anthropomorphic characters have hair; such as Lola Bunny (Looney Tunes), Cleo (Heathcliff), and all the females from SwatKats.  It looks stupid, the design clashes with pretty much every other character on the show/comic, and it doesn't make any sense.  They have hair growing out of their fur? What? Why? How?

And Sally isn't the only offender in the Archie Comics there's also Bernadette Hedgehog, Rosemary Prower, Fiona Fox, Julie-Su, and a fuck ton of other characters who would all look so much better without their ridiculous hair.  For examples of female anthro characters hair done right, please see: Amy Rose, Blaze the Cat, and Dot Warner (Animaniacs).

While on the subject of Sally, one of my biggest pet peeves with the Sonic franchise is anybody who thinks any of the SatAM and/or Archie characters need to be added to the games.  FUCKING NO!  The day that happens, which I doubt it EVER will, is the day I storm out of the franchise and never look back.  The game canon already has more characters than Sega already knows what to do with; how the HELL will adding any more help anything?

And speaking of characters, another one my berserk buttons is when some idiot suggests that the characters should only be limited to Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, or in more extreme cases just Sonic and Eggman.  Again NO!  Some of the other characters have been around since damn near the beginning and helped build the franchise just as much as the three aforementioned.  Yes, they haven't been well implemented story-wise in a long while and we've had more examples of bad alternate game play ('06, Heroes, Adventure series) than good alternate game play (S3nK, Jump) but that doesn't mean you should throw in the towel and pretend those others characters never existed; that's the cowards way out. 

Write the characters better, make the game play more in line of what you'd expect from a Sonic game, and ignore the idiots who scream "Sonic's shitty friends".  The people who use that phase are probably the same type of people who make "Drag-on Ball" and "5 episodes to change a lightbulb" jokes about the Dragon Ball franchise; casual onlookers who over-exaggerate the minute negatives.  These people have probably never played a Sonic game for more than 5 minutes and learned all they know from the biased jerks from IGN and various other game review sites who bash post-Sonic 2006 games for the sake of being post-Sonic 2006 games.

Not to mention how boring it would be to only have only three characters in a franchise.  Does the Mario series only have Mario, Peach, and Koopa? NO!  Did classic Disney only have Mickey, Donald, and Goofy? NO!  Does Looney Tunes only consist of Bugs, Daffy, and Elmer? NO!

As Eggman once said, "The more the merrier"!  So long as their well-written, actually have a purpose in the story rather than being shoehorned in, and have polished Sonic-like gameplay, add as many characters as you'd like Sega!  So long as their from the game universe.tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 6

The people who use that phase are probably the same type of people who make "Drag-on Ball" and "5 episodes to change a lightbulb" jokes about the Dragon Ball franchise; casual onlookers who over-exaggerate the minute negatives.

That was a legitimate complaint, though; the show had a lot of shitty filler.
  • Thumbs Up 2