Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

As for toes - I remember when that was brought up at Sonic Boom 2012. I forget what Takashi Iizuka's reply to the question was though.

Nah, the question was specifically whether they had toes or not, and Iizuka just said that there was some old art which probably had the answer (aka the SA art, not to mention the character designs of Big and Tikal). As for why they don't, it's just how the artist decided to style them, like how the Powerpuff Girls don't have any digits at all yet can hold items fine.

Also, Darkspine Sonic doesn't have any toes.

And I think Iizuka actually acted like "did someone REALLY ask that?!" for a moment before answering it.

Best Iizuka question was definitely the Marine the Raccoon one.

Iizuka going out of his comfort zone and speaking English: "You wanna see Marine the Raccoon again?"

What seemed like the entire crowd: "NO!"

It was priceless. My friend and I like to act it out from time to time.

===

Perhaps the answer to the toes question lies in the hands. Mayhaps the Mobians have evolved with their toe length being added onto their fingers, hence the hands' massive size?

On that note the proportions definitely are a pet peeve since it makes it hard as heck to draw them. I just end up drawing semi-Sonicy, semi-anthro thingies. I actually draw Classic Sonic 10x more accurate than Modern.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

It's probably something as simple as "he can't draw toes" or something, which is kinda weird either way.

Sonic the Hedgehog series characters are heavily based on the "funny animal" archetype from the likes of Felix the Cat and such.

big heads, noodle limbs, human hands and flat, featureless feets that are more supposed to be paws than anything.

felix-the-cat.jpg

I believe is the same case with Sonic, they have paws, not feets.

• Thumbs Up 4

Jake's status reminded me that I still really hated how Tails was sidelined due to being "too young" when even the only two games out at the time explicitly showed otherwise. 

That said, at least now I can hypothesise her SatAM self talking to Charmy Bee in a humorous light. I'd imagine it'd go something like this;

"Why hello, little one. You shouldn't be out here alone, where are your parents?"

"Oh, I don't live with parents any more lady, I'm on a job!"

"...What sort of job could an infant like you possibly have?"

"Well, right now I'm looking for a convicted criminal around here who was done for armed assault. I'm usually scouting the city for hours to find work including in the seedy alley ways, so this is really a step up! Although I didn't do so well in finding discs on an island with nuclear fallout being fought over between the vicious aliens and the shady armed forces of the government, I had to find Shadow to help me and he went around all the aliens while I got the discs! It was so cool! But now I can't do that because I've been relegated to just tracking people and dangerous objects, so...lady? Why are you sleeping?"

*Sally has died from a heart attack* 

• Thumbs Up 1

There are so many bad fan characters that I've just sort grown immune to them over the years. Nothing grinds my gears quite like human or non-Sonic characters made into Sonic fan characters though. Maria and Elise as hedgehogs is a popular one and the less said about Sonichu the better.

Felix_the_cat_by_xilefti.jpg

This makes me want to die

I think you can viably translate some characters and creatures over into the SegaSonic style without butchering them, but most people don't appear to understand the intricacies of the design style and the myriad of things you can actually do with it, instead opting to just throw shit on Sonic and call it a day.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think you can viably translate some characters and creatures over into the SegaSonic style without butchering them, but most people don't appear to understand the intricacies of the design style and the myriad of things you can actually do with it, instead opting to just throw shit on Sonic and call it a day.

Most people probably figured "Well since Sonic Team made recolors with Shadow & Silver, I can do the same"

Most people probably figured "Well since Sonic Team made recolors with Shadow & Silver, I can do the same"

I think people fail to understand that the species are all distinctive too and don't all look like hedgehogs. Even Sonic Team can make the species look different.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think people fail to understand that the species are all distinctive too and don't all look like hedgehogs. Even Sonic Team can make the species look different.

Exactly. Look at Sonic and Amy here;

2ccqtev.png

Both Hedgehog's yet Amy doesn't see the point in looking like one even though she is one so upon growing into tween from little kid, she obviously decided to pin how quills down with a hairband and either cut off her single back-quill or flattened it so it's not obvious/visible. A lot of humans like to be distinct appearance-wise, why should it be any different for anthropes of the same species?

If Amy looked like a pink Sonic from Adventure-onwards, people would be screaming "She's a Sonic recolour!" still. Jolly good she got a redesign that made her look more unique and more feminine. I mean look how soft and girl-like she looks compared to Sonic. She has gentler eyes due to a lack of eye ridges, a slightly different body shape and a 'cuter' looking mouth and she is devoid of the 'sharp' and 'harder' look that Sonic has.

This also has the effect of rendering most arguments concerning "Fiona/Bernie/Nic should look like previous examples of their species down to the wire because SPECIES!" null and void. Their designs absolutely/used to absolutely (In Bernie's case) reek of laziness and uncreativity. Big and Blaze are a great example of creatively different design for individuals of the same species;

214z13p.png

I still don't think that the 'consistency' argument for making individuals of the same species samey is a great argument.

Another peeve of mine? The rabid contempt for any notion of introducing even light romantic overtones in the games. Note how I said "light". Such interactions are no less and no more contemptible a type of character relationship to explore than any other kind of character relationship. Just because the fandom has a penchant for pairing anything and everything doesn't justify contempt for light romantic overtones in the games.

• Thumbs Up 6

I never said they couldn't, people on the Internet are just uncreative and copy what's popular.

Best Iizuka question was definitely the Marine the Raccoon one.

Iizuka going out of his comfort zone and speaking English: "You wanna see Marine the Raccoon again?"

What seemed like the entire crowd: "NO!"

It was priceless. My friend and I like to act it out from time to time.

When did that happen?

Another peeve of mine? The rabid contempt for any notion of introducing even light romantic overtones in the games. Note how I said "light". Such interactions are no less and no more contemptible a type of character relationship to explore than any other kind of character relationship. Just because the fandom has a penchant for pairing anything and everything doesn't justify contempt for light romantic overtones in the games.

Well, I'm of the opinion that Sonic doesn't need romance in the core of the franchise to make things work.

But heck, I don't mind when it happens (protip: it happens all the time) officially.

1992 Sonic CD

2001 SA2

2005 Sonic Rush

2006 oh lord.

2007 Rush... Adventure? (YMMV, kinda weak...)

2008 Unleashed

2009 Black Knight

The last romantic implication was in 2009, almost four years without romance...

Where is the love Sonic Team?

But as I learn as a fan I also learn to stay away from places like DeviantArt and fanfiction.com, which makes wonders for one's mental sanity, most people can't write, some people don't know how to write fanfic at all, and they surely don't know how to write romance, result is that things just plain go shit when fanfic and romance mix together, that's why people is scared of official romantic implications, because what is done in the fanbase regarding it should usually be banned from existence.

what is also funny is that in a cast of let's say... 12 recurrent characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Blaze, Charmy, Vector and Espio), almost 6 are or are implied to be someone's love interest (or rather, had romantic implications with another character) Sonic, Amy ,Blaze, Shadow, Rouge and Knuckles, got it right?, and people say there is no romance in the series at all...

Edited by Anti Alias

I don't think Romance is a one-sided thing between characters. Amy is more along the lines of a stalker than anything, and that seriously needs to change.

Besides, romance itself isn't bad because of how numerous it is. You could say the same thing about too much action when it comes to dynamics between characters. Like everything else, romance is bad because of how poorly done it is.

And what's more is that in this very series regarding the games it sits at the back of the bus when it comes to the plot. Romance that meshes well with the plot as much as the action does without coming off too cheesy or otherwise off-putting only serves to the plot's benefit because now there's another dimension between characters we can explore, and definitely makes the characters far more human when done right. Good romance serves to draw the audience into how the characters end up carrying the relationship from that point forward; bad romance - like the ones you read in lots of fanfiction - winds up turning most of the audience away, except those who couldn't care any less of anything beside romance, because it becomes too much and it winds up getting in the way of other parts of the plot.

The trick? It's very simple: Don't let the romance get in the way of the plot. Kinda like how we don't let love get in the way of everything else in real life when there are things more important. There's a reason why certain media that is more well rounded with it's plot and character elements ends up more popular or otherwise interesting than media that focuses on one particular part of the plot and character elements. It's because they hit more than one thing to attract more than one group of people for its audience.

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree with the romance-thing. I dont see any reason for why romance should in any way be "of limits" for the Sonic series. I have so far never heard an argument for why romance should be left out of the series that i can agree with. If even the Mario series with its almost non-existant plots can have its Mario X Peach thing going then surely the Sonic series could easily handle some Furry guy X Furry girl thing .

Maybe some people are uncomfortable because of their official ages? Just throwing potential stuff out there. 

I think it's more likely a combination of people not having any faith in the writing of the series and stretching romance to just mean "sex," instead of concerning themselves with the implications of a 15 and a 12 year old merely going out together.

I think it's more likely a combination of people not having any faith in the writing of the series and stretching romance to just mean "sex," instead of concerning themselves with the implications of a 15 and a 12 year old merely going out together.

Speaking of which, I hate it when people consider the age difference between Sonic and Amy so freaking huge they can never get together, no matter what. It's a mere three year gap people. It's only a problem now because, well, a 15 and a 12 year old together does sound kind of odd, I will admit. But it's not this incredibly huge gap or anything of the sort, so why make a big deal out of it.

Oh, and I *LOVE it how whenever ShadAmy is brought up, nobody ever brings up the fact that Shadow is chronologically 50 years old against Amy's 12. That's a 38 year gap. But nobody seems to care. But people will certainly bitch about the three year gap between Sonic and Amy. I have to ask; why? =|

*Obvious sarcasm is obvious

^It's a knee-jerk and excuse reaction, kind of like the SonXElise being 'bestiality' argument; people not actually bothering to explain why they dislike it.

Granted, I heavily dislike either pairing, I wont side with bad arguments just because they're trying to reach a similar destination to my own.

Edited by Mysterics

That, and the potential flame wars that would ensue on the Internet. 

Flame wars are already ablaze on the internet regarding this. Specifically revolving around Archie's incredibly annoying and fanboyish adoration for Sonally and the way a lot of immature SonAmy fans take "offense" to their OTP. It's frikkin' annoying.

Though what's funnier is the insistence by some SonAmy haters that the pairing amounts to "pedophilia" SonAmy never has been pedophilia and never will be Pedophilia.

Really, it's quite pathetic what some fans will stoop to to slander a pairing rolleyes.gif

Stuff like "Shadamy" for example, to me is a pet peeve in itself.

One of Amy's defining traits is that she's in love with Sonic, so for people to satisfy this weird Shadamy fetish they have to write stupid-ass fanfics where Amy falls out of love with Sonic. For Amy to fall out of love with Sonic, Sonic has to be a dick that no-one would waste their time on. For Shadow to give Amy the D replace Sonic as Amy's love interest, he has to actually like her in the first place. Vice versa for Amy to fall in love with Shadow.

Is there really any point to this kind of stupid obsession when the only likelihood it has involves making everyone involved randomly out of character?

tl;dr - I don't get shipping :(

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Thumbs Up 1