Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

*amazing post*

What is this sorcery..?

I'm literally wondering how did you even manage to add momentum to the modded slide?..

(Obviously you did something to the xml files I assume?)

But this is great man! Look forward to seeing anything from the list of things you might add or change!

Edited by Alex2beta

I managed to fix my terrain mesh loader to load most meshes now, and also a material loader/writer, which allows me to use custom materials and replace the Unleashed materials(which were innefficient using 3 or more files to describe a material) into one single .material file. This also fixed some issues like some uv mapping problems with stretching textures in different maps, particularly in the houses in windmill isle.

Shame I still don't know how to read these uv coordinates into my editor properly, but this is some of the sexiness coming for the next version of SonicGLvl. smile.png (Shadows are optional because those things are laggy)

Xjo9X.jpg

xNZLV.jpgMxzsF.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

YOU'RE WELCOME. JESUS.

You'd think this would be part of Modern Gameplay but NO, they give him that boring slide. Aww well, looking forward for more updates to this.

@Gravitylol - :/ Not really a fan of the Original Sonic Drift. I prefer the spin more but thats just me.

Just wondering but why as no one bad it to where M sonic spindashes in BOOOOOOOOST? That alone would make my year!

Just wondering but why as no one bad it to where M sonic spindashes in BOOOOOOOOST? That alone would make my year!

From what we know about the game as it stands now, it can't be done without replacing Sonic's running animation, boost or not. It would also look pretty damned tacky.

Edited by Lobotomy

YOU'RE WELCOME. JESUS.

Server maintenance.

Wow, this is awesome! One thing I'd like to see is for you to slow down the accel if that's possible (preferably times 2),and tighten controls all the way to SA1 at low speeds, and add more turning ability at speed. But anyway, awesome job so far!

Also, I hope, by the time this is finished, people can import custom modelled levels, to take advantages of the tweaks that are made, such as momentum.

I COULD do this, but it would render almost every level unplayable.

Yeah, I understand that, but if people were to start making custom levels, those would be the changes that could make Modern Sonic perfect.

Edited by Chaos Warp

I am actually working on a custom level as we speak. I have no ETA for it, nor do I know if it'll even work, but I'll keep you guys posted.

I managed to fix my terrain mesh loader to load most meshes now, and also a material loader/writer, which allows me to use custom materials and replace the Unleashed materials(which were innefficient using 3 or more files to describe a material) into one single .material file. This also fixed some issues like some uv mapping problems with stretching textures in different maps, particularly in the houses in windmill isle.

Shame I still don't know how to read these uv coordinates into my editor properly, but this is some of the sexiness coming for the next version of SonicGLvl. smile.png (Shadows are optional because those things are laggy)

Xjo9X.jpg

xNZLV.jpgMxzsF.jpg

I'm looking forward to the next version! This is a tool with so much potential, loving it the progress, keep it up!

Just a quick question, how difficult is it to mod some sort of no-clip mode into the game? Just asking because while I'm no level designer, exploring the unseen parts of levels and how they create the illusion of vast vistas without overly complex scenery fascinates me. I'd love to just have a casual look around the stages if it's possible.

Well well well.

Copypasta from description:

I also do Sonic mods.

As some of you may know if you come from Sonic Retro, I, Chimera, along with forum members TwilightZoney and DarioFF, are in the process of porting levels from Sonic Unleashed to the PC through converting them to Sonic Generations format, as well as making custom collision (since collision is handled by Xbox 360 platform-specific files we have yet to find a way to convert).

While the daytime stages of Unleashed are being given to Modern Sonic, it has been decided that, for a change of pace, Classic Sonic would be given the more open and slower-paced Nighttime stages. This, however, will take a longer time than porting the day stages. While the night stages are shorter and have less objects in the main path, the night stages were built around the Werehog, which is no longer in Sonic Generations. So, as an alternative, the object layout of the night stages has been completely removed in favor for new object level design that will be made custom, but share slight similarities to the original night stages.

Currently the cameras are buggy (as you can see) because the camera in Sonic Unleashed and Generations was handled through camera volumes and point directions that would control the Field of View, angle based off Sonic's position, among other things. These have since been stripped, and again, new setups will be made in the future once the team finds out more about cameras, among other objects.

That's it for now; enjoy the video!

P.S. Yes, Classic Sonic has full 3D data, except as of now he can't roll because (for some reason) you can't roll by pressing the B button while running (why can't you?!), and on top of that the spindash fails to work because of how the spindash is set up; it looks for a plane direction and shots Sonic off in said direction. If Sonic isn't on a plane (a 2.5D spline curve basically), or hasn't been in one for the whole level, using the spindash will crash the game, and if he isn't on a plane but HAS been in a 2.5D plane at least once in the level, he will shoot of in the last axis identified in memory (which would be the direction of the 2D plane). Work is being done to fix this, but it WILL take time. Sorry.

Edited by PSI Freeze
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just a quick question, how difficult is it to mod some sort of no-clip mode into the game? Just asking because while I'm no level designer, exploring the unseen parts of levels and how they create the illusion of vast vistas without overly complex scenery fascinates me. I'd love to just have a casual look around the stages if it's possible.

It's trivial if you have the tools. In a nutshell, you'd have to do a box in 3DS Max at the height you want on the game(and have to make sure it's below Sonic's starting position), use the Havok Content Tools Plugin with the "Create Rigid Bodies" and "Transform Scene" (Due to Max's different axis, you'd want to use the Transform Matrix((1.0, 0.0, 0.0), (0.0, 0.0, 1.0), (0.0, -1.0, 0.0) respectively for xyz), and Write To Platform in Win32 MSVC Packfile. Then you'd just replace the collision HKX inside the level file you want, repack, and done.

It's trivial if you have the tools. In a nutshell, you'd have to do a box in 3DS Max at the height you want on the game(and have to make sure it's below Sonic's starting position), use the Havok Content Tools Plugin with the "Create Rigid Bodies" and "Transform Scene" (Due to Max's different axis, you'd want to use the Transform Matrix((1.0, 0.0, 0.0), (0.0, 0.0, 1.0), (0.0, -1.0, 0.0) respectively for xyz), and Write To Platform in Win32 MSVC Packfile. Then you'd just replace the collision HKX inside the level file you want, repack, and done.

Uhuh... okay. *stops scribbling on notepad and scratches head with pencil* So, just to slow down... what did you say I do with the box my 3DS came in again?

(Lol, I have no idea what you just said, so since it's nothing simple for a mortal like myself, I guess I'll live without my noclip. I appreciate your time all the same).

Edited by JezMM

Uhuh... okay. *stops scribbling on notepad and scratches head with pencil* So, just to slow down... what did you say I do with the box my 3DS came in again?

(Lol, I have no idea what you just said, so since it's nothing simple for a mortal like myself, I guess I'll live without my noclip. I appreciate your time all the same).

To try and sum up what Dario said, you need to use a Program Called 3DS Max (3DS as in 3D Studio, as in 3D Modelling. No relation to the 3DS game console.)

You also need the Havok Content Tools Plugin for the program.

From there, you have to figure out how to work with the program. When you've gotten the hang of it, you'd need to create a box object within the program that is as big as you'd want the no-clip areas to be. You have to make sure its below Sonic's starting position. (I assume you'd need to import the level geometry models into the program.)

Once you've made that, you have to use the Export option in the Havok plugin. In the Havok Exporter window, you have to use the "Create Rigid Bodies" and "Transform Scene" options.

In the Transform Scene option, set the transform matrix to (1.0, 0.0, 0.0) for X, (0.0, 0.0, 1.0) for Y, and (0.0, -1.0, 0.0) for Z.

Finally, add in the Write to Platform option in the Havok Exporter, and set it to make a Win32 HKX packfile.

So in short, it's kinda complicated and not very novice friendly...

Speaking of 3DS Max...

test7B.png

I tried playing around with the materials and lighting to see how close to the in-game appearance I could make the model look. I still have a couple things I need to figure out, especially the whole "certain parts split into multiple parts when they don't really need to be" issue...

Of course, using hkxcmd to import the animation helped with the posing. Super Sonic is just as confused about all of this as I am. XD

Hey people, I have a question that has probably been answered multiple times and I might be beating a dead horse. How exactly do you pack and unpack .arl files?

ARL files don't have any content that might interest you. They're file listings of the contents of the AR.00 files. While most of the AR file packers/unpackers don't even need the ARL, the game does need it. That's why Generations Archive Editor can generate them now. It's only relevant if you want to repack AR files for the game to read them.

If you doubt me, just open it with a hex editor and all you'll see is a bunch of filenames and a couple of numbers. :P

To try and sum up what Dario said, you need to use a Program Called 3DS Max (3DS as in 3D Studio, as in 3D Modelling. No relation to the 3DS game console.)

You also need the Havok Content Tools Plugin for the program.

From there, you have to figure out how to work with the program. When you've gotten the hang of it, you'd need to create a box object within the program that is as big as you'd want the no-clip areas to be. You have to make sure its below Sonic's starting position. (I assume you'd need to import the level geometry models into the program.)

Once you've made that, you have to use the Export option in the Havok plugin. In the Havok Exporter window, you have to use the "Create Rigid Bodies" and "Transform Scene" options.

In the Transform Scene option, set the transform matrix to (1.0, 0.0, 0.0) for X, (0.0, 0.0, 1.0) for Y, and (0.0, -1.0, 0.0) for Z.

Finally, add in the Write to Platform option in the Havok Exporter, and set it to make a Win32 HKX packfile.

So in short, it's kinda complicated and not very novice friendly...

Ah, thanks, but yeah, way more effort than what it'll be worth for me. For the record though I did at least know what 3DS Max was, so don't worry, I'm not quite that dense, lol.

I wish all games just had developer consoles like Valve's do. =C

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, thanks, but yeah, way more effort than what it'll be worth for me. For the record though I did at least know what 3DS Max was, so don't worry, I'm not quite that dense, lol.

I wish all games just had developer consoles like Valve's do. =C

May be complicated but the payoff is worth it. worth looking into :)