Awoo.

The Bosses Topic of BBBE'ness

HyperGogeta

Lancelot Returns was not difficult for me at all. I never bothered defending much in the fights, and just jump attacked the hell out of everything. I didn't even know you could slow down time in the Rival battles until just now, watching that video that was posted. It took no skill, and though I have beaten the vast majority of Sonic game made with minimal difficulty, that certainly doesn't make me any sort of god, especially considering the games are so damn easy.

If you want to call me a god, you'll first have to see my all A-rank playthroughs of the Megaman Zero series. wink.png

You spammed the waggle then, because like I said it took me forever to figure out a way to win with 5 stars.

I am now intrigued by this Mega Man run of yours.

I spammed the SHIT out of that waggle, man. XD

Now that I have a good enough PC controller, I actually plan to record myself beating all 4 Zero games with A rank and no cyber-elves used (outside of the ones in 1 and 2 which give you subtanks, and don't negatively affect your rank to use). I've done so in the past on my DS (thanks to Zero Collection), but was not able to to record it for obvious reasons.

The only Megaman series games I haven't beat are some of the Gameboy Classic series games, Megaman and Bass, Megaman 7, Megaman X8, and boring spinoff titles like Command Mission and the Battle Network series. It's my favorite series, along with Sonic.

Even considering that a lot of the rival battles in the past have been lackluster the difference is that, unlike Silver's, they were easy and over pretty damn quick (and as such, were inoffensive). His, on the other hand, could take many, many frustrating tries as effortlessly tosses you about like a rag doll.

Regardless of how poor his debut was though I am hoping to see his redemption in Generations. (I actually got some enjoyment out of his gameplay over the Summer.)

Edited by Lungo

Nepenthe, I think Crisis City gets a pass because it had cool visuals. And...I guess everyone assumes that '06 would get a level. If it's not Crisis City, it would have just been another '06 level. Crisis City and Kingdom Valley seem to be the stages most people liked more than others. Maybe Silver doesn't get a pass because there is no "One Boss per game" setup. Silver actually could have been replaced with a character in a different game...maybe Blaze. Or...some other Modern Rival. Is there anyone else? Either way, I can't entirely explain why Silver as a character gets more hate than Crisis City does as a stage. It depends on the person.

I like your posts because they're thoughtful and unique, and you're intelligent. I don't always agree, but I like intelligent talk.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm hyped to see if Time Eater is purely a boss, or it it might include some kind of final level.

Nepenthe, I think Crisis City gets a pass because it had cool visuals. And...I guess everyone assumes that '06 would get a level. If it's not Crisis City, it would have just been another '06 level. Crisis City and Kingdom Valley seem to be the stages most people liked more than others. Maybe Silver doesn't get a pass because there is no "One Boss per game" setup. Silver actually could have been replaced with a character in a different game...maybe Blaze. Or...some other Modern Rival. Is there anyone else? Either way, I can't entirely explain why Silver as a character gets more hate than Crisis City does as a stage. It depends on the person.

I like your posts because they're thoughtful and unique, and you're intelligent. I don't always agree, but I like intelligent talk.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm hyped to see if Time Eater is purely a boss, or it it might include some kind of final level.

But people are on record for specifically being against Silver's return because his debut boss battle was terrible. I understand the sentiment and I agree it's an opinionated subject. I just don't agree with that position for my reasons outlined, primarily "everything is being remade, thus the quality of the original bosses and levels is rather irrelevant" bit. xP You do bring up a more damning point, though: We literally don't have another rival of the modern era that appeared in a main installment, so Silver was basically the default.

Im looking forward to the silver battle, sonic 06 was such a peice of crap, since then the gameplay in sonic games has gotten better so im not worried.

I would've preferred if they used Blaze or Jet to be honest.

Blaze only rivals Sonic in a spin-off handheld title, and Jet rivals Sonic in a completely different genre. It wouldn't make a lick of sense.

I would've preferred if they used Blaze or Jet to be honest.

Silver makes more sense to me, since the other two Rivals in the game were trying to kill Sonic in their original fights.

Also what Nepenthe said. After playing through Rush again a few weeks back, Blaze never really seemed like a Rival for Sonic in terms of story. She never wanted to kill Sonic (unlike Metal Sonic, Shadow and Silver), she just wanted to defeat Eggman and Eggman Nega on her own because of her responsibilities as a princess or whatever. Jet's just a guy who likes to race on hover boards, and he never actually fights Sonic, nor has ever wanted Sonic dead; making him just a hover board racing Rival and nothing more. I know Silver isn't amongst the best Sonic characters out there (he's definitely not my favorite Sonic character; or anywhere close to that for that matter), but in all honesty, he's the only modern Rival that truly makes sense, in my opinion.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir
  • Thumbs Up 1

Blaze only rivals Sonic in a spin-off handheld title, and Jet rivals Sonic in a completely different genre. It wouldn't make a lick of sense.

I know, it still irks me, I would've preferred Knuckles if that's the case, but eh.

Knuckles being a rival to Sonic is an archaic holdover from the 90s. He literally has no reason to rival Sonic anymore. They both possess goals in which cooperation would be the most appropriate approach to achieving them, and they're proficient in completely different skills that cannot be rivaled in any meaningful capacity. A Knuckles boss fight, especially in the modern era when he's a classic character, would be retarded. :|

• Thumbs Up 1

Jet actually could've been an interesting rival battle, just imagine him fighting on foot while he tries to use his fan and extreme gear to shift the winds in his favor to take out Sonic, with extra assistance from the other rouges, like traps set across the area from Wave and pure muscle from Storm to trip you up.

Edited by Cero

Knuckles being a rival to Sonic is an archaic holdover from the 90s. He literally has no reason to rival Sonic anymore. They both possess goals in which cooperation would be the most appropriate approach to achieving them, and they're proficient in completely different skills that cannot be rivaled in any meaningful capacity. A Knuckles boss fight, especially in the modern era when he's a classic character, would be retarded. :|

Yet Silver who fought Sonic for similar reasons, and whom was never really presented as a rival is perfectly fine?

Modern Rival....Mario!

Yeah, I can't think of any great ideas. Unleashed and Colors deliberately cut down on characters, so there weren't any rivals aside from Silver. All of the side characters were limited to appease retro fans and critics.

Wait, I got it.

Modern's rival...Video Game critics.. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Yet Silver who fought Sonic for similar reasons, and whom was never really presented as a rival is perfectly fine?

He fought Sonic because he was prophesized as bringing about the end of the world...which, funnily enough, actually ended up being true anyway, so it's not exactly a perfect equivalence. Imagine, if Silver had killed Sonic in that plaza before Elise ended up forming a connection with him so as not to become emotional upon his death, and Shadow ended up handling Mephiles, the future probably would've been saved anyway.

And you're not addressing the fact that there is literally no other modern mainstream equivalent. Jet appears only in spin-offs and debuted before the modern era came into being, same as Blaze whose appearance in 06 was practically non-existent, and Knuckles is a Classic character. And the other rivals already have boss fights. So, really, who else can you use that fits the criteria?

All the Rivals in Generations have one thing in common: They all wanted Sonic dead at one point.

Knuckles never wanted to kill Sonic, he just wanted him and Tails off of his island and away from the Master Emerald due to Eggman's trickery.

It also wouldn't make sense because Knuckles has been good friends with Sonic for a while now, and he never had a major role in any main series Modern Era Sonic game prior to Sonic Generations.

Again, Silver just happens to be the most suited for the role as the Modern Era Rival.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

Yep!biggrin.png

Besides, Knuckles was literally a punching bag. (back in da day)

I don't even understand why people wouldn't complain about having Knux as a rival, his battle with Sonic was just as worse then Silver's.

Edited: Aside from not being able to talk and repeat the same thing over and over because of some minor glitch.

Edited by Revlis1

Modern Rival... Werehog.

Yeah, Silver was default. It all makes sense now. Moving on...

I actually like Silver, I just originally wanted to point out that the Silver hate makes more sense than Shadow hate. We're talking in terms of degrees, though. Getting upset over one aspect of a game (one level or boss) really isn't very logical to begin with. As someone who wanted Mephiles to appear in this game...I realized that I'll never see him in any games. He was a pretty conniving villain, but because of the game he was in I can't imagine him returning. Silver only really returns because he's a rival hedgehog. Mephiles...not so much. Even if he looked like a hedgehog.

Solaris was awful, though.

I actually like Silver, I just originally wanted to point out that the Silver hate makes more sense than Shadow hate. We're talking in terms of degrees, though. Getting upset over one aspect of a game (one level or boss) really isn't very logical to begin with. As someone who wanted Mephiles to appear in this game...I realized that I'll never see him in any games. He was a pretty conniving villain, but because of the game he was in I can't imagine him returning. Silver only really returns because he's a rival hedgehog. Mephiles...not so much. Even if he looked like a hedgehog.

Actually no, there ISN'T any because this ain't a glitchy game with bad writers. This is actually a game worth playing a lot. Well, i don't know yet but with what i've seen so far, i hope it is.

And know, the reason he's back is because (as surprising as this might be) a lot of people like Silver. In some places like Sega forums for example no because old fans aren't used to new stuff. Like Sonic having green eyes and buckles on his shoes, etc.

Sega might have added PC in the preview to attract old fans even more. But even if Silver wasn't in it, it's possible that he (like everything else in the game) will play a major role in the game. Not just his rival battle.

Edited by Revlis1

He fought Sonic because he was prophesized as bringing about the end of the world...which, funnily enough, actually ended up being true anyway, so it's not exactly a perfect equivalence. Imagine, if Silver had killed Sonic in that plaza before Elise ended up forming a connection with him so as not to become emotional upon his death, and Shadow ended up handling Mephiles, the future probably would've been saved anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually no, there ISN'T any because this ain't a glitchy game with bad writers. This is actually a game worth playing a lot. Well, i don't know yet but with what i've seen so far, i hope it is.

StH 2006 was the first, last and only significant appearance that Silver had. Why should people like him if they have never enjoyed his gameplay nor his character? You can't just say 'oh it's the writing and the glitches', because he has no redeemable role to contrast this one against. Therefore Silver, at least until Generations, is still who he was in '06.

I don't even understand why people wouldn't complain about having Knux as a rival, his battle with Sonic was just as worse then Silver's.

That is just not true. As I have said before, all rival battles have been pretty damn easy in the past, and as such aren't remembered with the same scorn that Silver's is.

It appears the 3DS version may

also getting the Sonic 2 Death Egg Zone

boss

http://www.sonicstad...erated-content/

As said in another thread:

It could be the Egg Emperor or the Egg Wizard, though if it were the Sonic 2 Death Egg boss, then the 3DS version would likely end up with one boss per level, which would be glorious, but would also a bit weird when considering the that picture displaying the levels (11 dots) which would imply 7 levels, 3 bosses, and time eater, though if it was one boss per level, then it'd mean we were getting at least 3 more levels, which is highly unlikely(though would be perfect slots for advance levels