Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

What I don't want this time around is lame retro stages like 75m and Mario Bros. I struggle to find any redeeming features with these stages, they're just so lazily put together and awkward to fight on, 75m especially.

Really? I'd rather fight on those stages than that DK stage that auto scrolls vertically. Stages like that one are much more difficult to battle on. It feels more like a battle to remain on screen than anything. I feel that those type of stages should be removed.

To each their own though.

Edited by canderson

Honestly I didn't like the retro levels OR the scrolling stages. I always removed them from the random list. 

You know what I really want? A level based on Bowser's castle. It seems like an obvious choice and I can already think of a few things to make it unique. For example, what if it had lava waves that damaged the player if they didn't move to higher ground?

468px-World5-CStarCoin1.jpg

Or what about those big, circular platforms suspended from the ceiling that wobble as characters shift their weight across them? There are so many possibilities, and it's high-time Bowser got some stage rep. 

• Thumbs Up 3

For example, what if it had lava waves that damaged the player if they didn't move to higher ground?

Metroid stages have been doing basically that from the start.

We do need a good Bowser stage, tho'.

Metroid stages have been doing basically that from the start.

We do need a good Bowser stage, tho'.

True, but the lava only ever went up and down. Having it come in waves could add something interesting to the fight, especially if the player reacted to it differently upon contact. 

Edit: Your avatar is upsetting me. :C

Edited by Solly

Really? I'd rather fight on those stages than that DK stage that auto scrolls vertically. Stages like that one are much more difficult to battle on. It feels more like a battle to remain on screen than anything. I feel that those type of stages should be removed.

To each their own though.

It varies for me.  I found DK's Brawl stage great fun, likewise for Mushroomy Kingdom.  Icicle Mountain on Melee though was super lame and not fun at all.

You know what would be a kick-ass Wario stage?  Wario's Castle.  There'd be giant golden statues everywhere and you could see Mario Land 2 references in the background, and every once in a while, Capt. Syrup (because God doesn't love me enough for her to be a playable character) would sail up and bombard you with cannonballs.

I didn't like the stages in Brawl cause of how small or gimmicky most of them were. I'm not saying we should get giant stages like Hyrule, but just ones that don't make people feel too crowded when they're fighting.

And quick-stepping to the topic of Classic Mode, they need to change those "fight someone metal" fights. It was special in 64 cause it was just Metal Mario, and granted while everyone could turn Metal in Melee, the Metal Bros. fight was still pretty cool. But by Brawl it was just "Oh yep, time to fight Metal Peach or Metal DK." Makes something new and exciting, I dunno.

And make Ridley playable damn it! If you can scale down a giant monster like Bowser or scale up a tiny person like Olimar, you can certainly scale Ridley down to the right size. We need more Metroid reps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since they already did a Luigi's Mansion stage last time, I would like to see Luigi's Mansion 2 get a reference via a Polterpup assist trophy, because hnnng they're so kayoot.

He runs around all over the place and trips people up.  C=

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like the gimmick stages in Brawl, because they can be fun......sometimes. Sometimes I really don't wanna worry about fighting the stage that much, I just wanna fight my friend, and I shouldn't have to confine myself to Final Dest and Battlefield to do that, you know? I think there should just be an option to turn gimmicks on and off. That way everyone's happy. 

Luigi in general I think should be more or less rebuilt from the ground up as more of his own character. Keep the floaty jump, keep the straight green fireball, but really.. Luigi's Mansion should be at the forefront of his move set.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh look stage discussion time, so I'm gonna throw this out there again and say that I really want to see Bowser-Peach Castle from NSMBU. It could essentially combine elements from Peach's Castle, The Airship's and Bowser's Castle. It would start with a pleasant fight within Princess Peach's thrown room/dining area featuring a massive cake where the competitors would fight until the conditions outside would darken (Maybe even have the Koopalings popping out of the cake to attack the Toads and cause havoc) until suddenly a massive magical tornado picks up outside and tears the castle apart. The fighters would be whisked away into the air, using broken fragments of the castle to continue battle until eventually landing on top of Bowser Jr's airship where he and/or Kamek would anatagonize the fighters for a bit. Later the massive mechanical Bowser hand would come in to smash the competitors, only to snap the airship in half. This would lead to a quick freefall segment, leading to the group landing in a transformed castle, now filled with Bowser's image and minions as well as massive pits of lava. Koopalings could probably appear again here, maybe in their Koopa Clown Car from NSMB2 to occassionally send fireballs at fighters. Though after a little while, the Toads would finally rise up and fight back, leading to a massive wave of them washing across the area/screen accompanied by battlecries and construction noises, causing the stage to return to its condition that it started at.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bowser's size varies, with him usually only being about twice the size of Mario, and Olimar being scaled up isn't such a big deal since he's normal-sized in his terms (as in him being that size compared to everyone else is believable).

But Ridley has CONSISTANTLY been huge since they've had the graphical capabilities to do so.  As much as I want more Metroid representation, scaling Ridley down would make him considerably less intimidating and be wonky overall.  Don't get me wrong, I would really love to play as Ridley, I just don't think they should fuck his size up just to make it possible.

• Thumbs Up 5

To be fair Nintendo villians aren't that intimidating in the first place. I stopped taking Ridley seriously after he started coming back to life every 5 minutes.

It could work if they found the right size, not too big nor small. I'm pretty sure they would specifically make sure it isn't "wonky".

To be fair Nintendo villians aren't that intimidating in the first place.

Tell that to Hades' heart.

Jesus Christ forget all the other IPs, can we just put in like 6 new Kid Icarus characters? Palutena, Magnus, Viridi, Dark Pit (as an alt again I spose), Hades, Medusa, they're all awesome, I'll be sad if even one of them misses out! Hades and Medusa in particular are equal parts loveable and hatable, wonderfully written villains, I'd love to see one of them playable.

(If only to hear some more of Hades' absolutely genius writing and voice acting..)

• Thumbs Up 5

If another Kid Icarus character is included into the game, I can see Palutena making the cut, and to a very less extent Magnus. I think they can just do a color swap when it comes to Dark Pit. Medusa and/or Hades, I'd like to appear from an Assist Trophy.

Edited by canderson

Tell that to Hades' heart.

Jesus Christ forget all the other IPs, can we just put in like 6 new Kid Icarus characters? Palutena, Magnus, Viridi, Dark Pit (as an alt again I spose), Hades, Medusa, they're all awesome, I'll be sad if even one of them misses out! Hades and Medusa in particular are equal parts loveable and hatable, wonderfully written villains, I'd love to see one of them playable.

(If only to hear some more of Hades' absolutely genius writing and voice acting..)

Hades' Heart was adorable, not intimidating (even Pit thinks so lol).  The fight was hard, probably the hardest in the game, but it certainly isn't intimidating.  

I would also like to see one of the Uprising main villains playable.  Both Hades and Medusa would could potentially offer something interesting to the table. 

Hades's, Palutena's, Pit's, Thanatos's, PYRRHON'S, Phosphora's, Arlon's, and Viridi's witty banter practically scream for a Corneria/Lylat Cruise styled Easter Egg, and just having the characters exchange hilarious dialogue about the battle, with Pit putting in his two cents whenever.

Or they could go a step up, and have it be like the Shadow Moses Island Easter Egg, and have the same style of dialogue, except used for describing every individual character, so there's 35-40 unique dialogues.

Nintendo should totally do this. If not the latter, then the former.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 7

I wouldn't doubt that we'll be seeing/hearing some of KIU's amazing dialogue in whatever stage the series gets in Smash 4, maybe having some of the gods narrate the match with their own little side conversations about this or that character or a stage hazard/gimmick

Also, Medusa definitely has a good chance for having a playable role being the main villain in the originals and a key player in Uprising

Luigi in general I think should be more or less rebuilt from the ground up as more of his own character. Keep the floaty jump, keep the straight green fireball, but really.. Luigi's Mansion should be at the forefront of his move set.

With the release of Mario Galaxy/Mario U and Luigi's Mansion, I think each character will have their own moveset and not be clones. I bet $100 we'll see more of the vacuum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh this, so much this.

It almost feels like they're afraid to mess with the Melee movesets (that, or they just don't realise they aren't relevant anymore). Fuck, I'm annoyed Peach doesn't reference Super Princess Peach in any way, let alone Luigi!

• Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of KI, Sakurai was the main writer for that story, right? If he did the scenarios for a new Adventure Mode, I'd be well up for it. Of course, this is assuming he could fit such a duty in, what with him apparently sustaining injuries during game production. If not, I wouldn't mind seeing a personal story/rival for each of the characters through classic, complete with a cutscene or two.

I'm also pretty sure a new Kid Icarus rep will be shown at E3. Hopefully Palutena.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hades's, Palutena's, Pit's, Thanatos's, PYRRHON'S, Phosphora's, Arlon's, and Viridi's witty banter practically scream for a Corneria/Lylat Cruise styled Easter Egg, and just having the characters exchange hilarious dialogue about the battle, with Pit putting in his two cents whenever.

Or they could go a step up, and have it be like the Shadow Moses Island Easter Egg, and have the same style of dialogue, except used for describing every individual character, so there's 35-40 unique dialogues.

Nintendo should totally do this. If not the latter, then the former.

Yes yes yes a million times this! There needs to be a KI stage with wonderful banter going on or activatable, personally I'm hoping for 2 KI stages anyway.

Oh this, so much this.

It almost feels like they're afraid to mess with the Melee movesets (that, or they just don't realise they aren't relevant anymore). Fuck, I'm annoyed Peach doesn't reference Super Princess Peach in any way, let alone Luigi!

Hmm.. I was gonna say it's probably a good thing Peach's moveset doesn't reference "women's super powers are extreme emotional switches: the video game", but then again Peach's Smash Bros moveset revolves around her hitting people with

• vegetables
  • kitchen utensils
  • her butt

Grits teeth.

Peach is beyond saving unless they invent something totally new for her.

Speaking of KI, Sakurai was the main writer for that story, right? If he did the scenarios for a new Adventure Mode, I'd be well up for it. Of course, this is assuming he could fit such a duty in, what with him apparently sustaining injuries during game production. If not, I wouldn't mind seeing a personal story/rival for each of the characters through classic, complete with a cutscene or two.

I'm also pretty sure a new Kid Icarus rep will be shown at E3. Hopefully Palutena.

Sakurai did write KI, but he also said that he normally wouldn't write such heavy plot or dialogue in a game and that KI was a one off in that aspect (he felt it was suitable for it)

He also wrote Brawl's story, so there ya go.

I'm hoping he's learnt a few things from KI anyway. I'd love to see a KI rep pop up at E3, if Palutena's in it I'm happy for the long haul.

Sakurai did write KI, but he also said that he normally wouldn't write such heavy plot or dialogue in a game and that KI was a one off in that aspect (he felt it was suitable for it)

He also wrote Brawl's story, so there ya go.

I'm hoping he's learnt a few things from KI anyway. I'd love to see a KI rep pop up at E3, if Palutena's in it I'm happy for the long haul.

Well, I doubt a Smash Bros story will be particularly heavy. Any anyway, I was under the impression a Final Fantasy writer wrote SSE?

Well, I doubt a Smash Bros story will be particularly heavy. Any anyway, I was under the impression a Final Fantasy writer wrote SSE?

There might have been a collaboration there, I'm not too sure but I seem to recall Sakurai saying he came up with the scenario.

Peach-wise, I was mainly shocked and appauled that they didn't jump at the obvious opportunity to redesign her parasol to be Parry from SPP.

Other than that though, yeah, keep the emotions gameplay out of it.  Focus on making her represent Mario 2 like they have been.  Also geez give her a less crappy Final Smash next game.

• Thumbs Up 3