Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

(So I'm the only one who thinks MB would be an interesting pick? Movin' on then-)

I guess I can see what you guys mean.  Though personally I'm the kind of guy that would want a character to get a proper representation of who they are.  Kind of like a "do it properly or not at all" kind of deal (heck even in a professional sense that makes a little more sense to me personally).  I dunno just to me it seems kind of 'tacky' just putting a different character in as an alternate costume over say, something that actually celebrates the history of the character themselves.

I getcha, but I'm largely talking about characters who would be considered a wasted character slot for being too similar to another character. For example, if Daisy got her own character slot, celebrated history n everything, but a cool important character like Shulk didn't? A lot of people might feel annoyed like was the case with Brawl in some instances.. unfortunately making totally new movesets and models and stuff is an extremely time consuming process and ultimately there is a very strict elimination process and time limit for making the game, meaning it's not as simple as "putting in all the characters" rather than "putting in one of em".

Having them not there at all isn't a celebration or tribute to the character so much as putting them in over another character's alt costume as a complete bonus, that's fan service at its finest! Plus I'm sure all their history and stuff would still be done, they'd still get trophies, music, voice clips (ideally) etc. And I'm not saying this'd be done for everyone (like I'm not saying Luigi and Mario should share a slot), mostly just characters who aren't different enough to justify them having a slot over another more unique character.

And yeah I hope I didn't repeat myself too much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, unless they actually make Kraid as small as that "Mini-Kraid" thing you fight before him in Super Metroid, I just can't see him working as anything other than a boss.

What if you could get boss fights as Assist Trophies. Obviously not a full fight, but like, they'd pop out just as in the fight, do an attack or two, then disappear.

• Thumbs Up 5

A little topic that I don't think (or at least I don't remember) has been touched on much/at all is a potential story mode.  I'd quite like to see go a similar route to Melee Adventure mode, except with elements of the SSE.  The fact that SSE was a big crossover was pretty cool and actually reflected how the game is, but the universe was rather bland and generic and the process of getting through the SSE was rather tedious especially in the latter half of the game *cough*greatmaze*cough*.  If they had a big crossover Adventure mode where you travel through the different worlds of the characters meeting them all along the way and trying to stop an overall much larger foe trying to mess up all these different worlds in one way or another that could lead to something potentially pretty interesting.

Edit: Oh wow I just realised this was my 1000th post.

Could've spent it better :<  Oh well.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 3

I would've liked the SSE more if it hadn't been as "random fantasy/sci-fi story with Nintendo characters thrown in".  I would've much preferred a coalition of baddies (Bowser, Ganon, Dark Matter, Geigue, etc.) as the villains instead of some...TRON-looking guy.

But what Dio said would probably work out better for everyone.

Edited by Game & Wario

SSE definitely needed more Nintendo in it. It was cool having all the heroes and villains against a common foe, but the Subspace enemies were suuper boring. Why not stuff it with loads of enemies from various Nintendo games, fanservice and history everywhere, stages based on Nintendo locations, even if it was as long as SSE it would have been so much better with more Nintendo-related enemies and plots.

• Thumbs Up 2

SSE was about as fun as Mortal Kombat Deception's Konquest mode. EDIT: Okay maybe not that bad.

Melee did it right, no story, just travel through various tropes and levels from Nintendo's history.

Edited by y cant solkia crawl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who'd actually like to see a Mini-Kraid in Smash U/3D :c

As a boss.  But regular Kraid would cut it.

Melee did it right, no story, just travel through various tropes and levels from Nintendo's history.

But that's boring. This is like the one time Nintendo characters cross over, they should at least interact a bit.
  • Thumbs Up 9

I could argue the interactions in SSE were about as entertaining as no interactions at all, but okay.

I could argue the interactions in SSE were about as entertaining as no interactions at all, but okay.

I would love to know how, because the camaraderie I saw between Meta Knight, Marth, and Roy was actually a really cool thing to see, not to mention all the other character interactions like Pikachu + Samus, Pokemon Trainer + Lucas, and the dream team of Mario, Link, Yoshi, and Pit.

• Thumbs Up 3

-running-

-point-

-grunt-

-angry face-

-fight-

SELECT YOUR CHARACTER

• Thumbs Up 5

-running-

-point-

-grunt-

-angry face-

-fight-

SELECT YOUR CHARACTER

Not everything has to have dialogue to be interesting. 

Well they should do it better.
  • Thumbs Up 3

But it does have to be interesting to be interesting.

And besides the VERY thin DeDeDe subplot, it wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed. SSE doesn't have anything interesting, that's what he's saying

Well they should do it better.

I'm highly skeptical as to whether they could or not.

I don't understand how the way Melee did it is any better if I may be honest. It was extremely repetitive by the time I got through it with like, 5 characters. And the roster as more than 15? Yeah no.

I'd say they take a refreshing spin on various elements from SSE and add more Nintendo. I like the idea of exploring different worlds and locations, but maybe they could be more dynamic in how you traverse. Say you go to a Starfox-centric world, Along your way through you have to be weary of hazardous meteorites and also enemies piloting starships attacking you. They'll also send down troops to stop you in your path. Even more dangerous is the onslaught of Aparoids that will attack you, but also the troops..maybe you can use that to your advantage.

Also, I think a cool thing to add would be Boss Battles that are like playable characters. They have movesets similar to how they would play if they were a regular character, but overall more durable and with key things most bosses would have, like powerful attacks and whatnot. However, since they function like regular characters you can still attack, grab, shield, and dodge like normal.

Basically, these bosses would be to test player skills in certain aspects. Like a boss that has very strong, lethal attacks. He can counter and break your shielding easily, so naturally you'd have to master your abilities at maneuvering and dodging in order to defeat the boss effectively.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd just rather most bosses be affected by physics period, because HP-based combat in a series designed entirely around smacking opponents out of bounds doesn't mix very well. I know I'd get a pretty big kick out of sending Master Hand flying into the sunset.

Hell, while we're at it, give them a slot in classic mode, because restricting them to SSE and the boss rush mode was a huge waste.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't mind bosses having HP rather than needing to be knocked out, but being able to knock them around would definitely be better than them just floating there as you pound on them.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd just rather most bosses be affected by physics period, because HP-based combat in a series designed entirely around smacking opponents out of bounds doesn't mix very well. I know I'd get a pretty big kick out of sending Master Hand flying into the sunset.

Hell, while we're at it, give them a slot in classic mode, because restricting them to SSE and the boss rush mode was a huge waste.

My fear with this is that since Smash bosses tend to be very large it would make them all extremely easy.  Unless they attacked extremely relentlessly and had armour/invincibility on startup of a number of their moves they'd be such large targets it would be very easy to hit them.  But I agree on the fact that Smash bosses definitely need to be designed to be better and more interesting.

I'd quite like to see a few bosses that are more around the size of actual characters.  Characters that have movesets designed in such a way so that they're essentially not quite fitting to be playable characters but make great enemies to fight.  

My fear with this is that since Smash bosses tend to be very large it would make them all extremely easy.  Unless they attacked extremely relentlessly and had armour/invincibility on startup of a number of their moves they'd be such large targets it would be very easy to hit them.

So basically Giga Bowser, then? Easy to hit though they may be, it would certaintly be nothing to scoff at if you had to rack up upwards of 300% damage just to lift them off the ground, and if they don't just stand there like a retard using scripted attacks every x tics that's a nice bonus too.

• Thumbs Up 1