Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Lucario was weirdly designed.  He's got some janky animations (wtf is up with his run) and a number of them don't look like they have much force behind them considering he is a fighting type Pokemon.  His hitboxes all have crazy disjoints because of all the aura bursts that come out and because Brawl's programmers were generally rather incompetent when it came to hitbox placements.  Also, I personally find his aura mechanic to be dumb, and it promotes defensive, campy gameplay (although it does also promote good DI which is the one thing I can appreciate about it) until you reach that optimum %.  And once you reach that optimum %, dealing with people becomes much less of an issue because not only are your hitboxes retarded but they also hit like trucks.

Here are his hitbox placements: 

With regards to Mewtwo, if he came back he would NEED buffs.  His moveset for the most part was a unique and interesting one, but he was just really underwhelming in terms of his overall capabilities.  You know a character is bad when on the first few revisions of the Melee tier list Pichu (a character deliberately designed as a joke character) is higher on the list than them.  Make all his moves hit harder, make him significantly heavier, draw a greater emphasis to Teleport (i.e. make it so that he goes into a Sonic/Snake Up B state instead of going totally helpless) for improved mobility, combo potential and mindgames (he's still basically the most powerful Psychic type in the game, and as a result deserves to feel like some powerful psychic monster) and you've already got a start for a potentially amazing character (he would still need more, but it's a start).

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

Ironically, Lucario is the only reason I kept Brawl for as long as I did. When I wasn't maining Ike or Charizard, I was playing as Lucario.

If Lucario wasn't in Brawl I probably wouldn't have even bothered with it as long as I did.

Sonic ended up being painfully mediocre and Fox was changed for the worst both aesthetically and from a gameplay standpoint. Wolf and Falco ended up feeling more correct in Brawl's system than Fox himself did and even so I didn't like Falco much. Lucas is great but I still don't enjoy him as much as Lucario.

Hell, I don't even play Brawl anymore unless it's hacked. The game that Sakurai shipped to consumers got old real fast. I seriously haven't touched vanilla Brawl in a number of years.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

One thing I miss that wasn't in Brawl, characters screaming in pain/agony when they get hit at a really high percentage, oh the laughs I got from that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree. I think Lucario as a Pokemon is awesome, but I don't like to play as him much in Brawl. I was also disappointed that he replaced the amazing Mewtwo, the most iconic Legendary Pokemon eva! If Lucario isn't returning this time around (and I'm quite sure he isn't!) then I'd love to see Mewtwo again. I don't want to see Zoroark or a 6th Gen Pokemon take his place either.

Personally I think Lucario was put in Brawl just because of how popular he is and Gen IV representation, since it was new at the time.

I can actually imagine Mewtwo being reinstated for SSB4, albeit with a more Gen VI themed moveset. They really seem to be emphasising that he has a new forme, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that as his Final Smash or something. A mixture of the old Melee style with some new stuff thrown in to appeal to the younger crowd who will only become familiar with him through X and Y.

The one character I want to return is Toon Link. God I won sooo many amazing matches with him. Where I failed as LINK, I surpassed as Toon Link. It's like he was made for brawl. Lucas and pit were also some of my favorite characters. I main'd all three because they are just that awesome. 

The one character I want to return is Toon Link. 

I have a feeling they will keep Toon Link, as well as either Skyward Sword Link, or the Link from the Wii U tech demo over a year ago.

Or maybe we can have all of the different incarnations of Link as one character?? Instead of color swaps of characters from previous games, we can switch between SS Link, TP Link, WW Link, OoT Link, etc?? Eh, I don't know, just a suggestion. xD

Edited by canderson

SS Link, TP Link, and Adult OoT Link could be palette swaps of each other, or at least have features that references them, but WW and Kid OoT Link, and presumably LttP2 Link would not work due to them being a significantly smaller size, and thus new models and proportions have to be made to make them work.

If the two-Link system stays put, Skyward Sword Link and possibly LttP2 Link will likely be the default designs for Smash 4, and the incarnations of other Links could be used for alternate costumes, though having three variations of a green-garbed Link on one character would be odd since he has other color tunics to choose from.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honest to God hope they REMOVE Toon/Young Link. I'm tired of having alternate versions of the same character. Maybe add a new character with similar playability to Toon/Young Link, but still make it a NEW character. Zero Suit Samus/Samus are one character, as are Sheik/Zelda. Although I can almost see them removing Sheik from Zelda and adding Impa instead, but people would complain about that.

On that note, I really hope that Sonic (he's pretty much guaranteed to be coming back) will have better alternate looks this time. It'd be cool to have Sonic's "dark" version inspired by Shadow and his "light" version inspired by Silver, for example, rather than just changing the colors of his wristbands.

Back to Link, I would not mind adding alternate versions of Link as his various incarnations if they're mere palette swaps. If they really want to keep in Toon Link, they could add an adult variant of Toon Link and go with that (SS Link is not the same, in fact he's significantly better looking). I wouldn't mind the SS Link as a palette swap of Link, but I'm hoping they go with the design from the Wii U tech demo instead.

Other than minor palette swaps, though (probably one for one variation), they should stick with the same Link in just different colored tunics, except with Dark Link of course being the whole black skin red eyes thing. That was way better than just a black tunic. If they included alternate Links (primarily SS Link and maybe an adult Toon Link), they should be in addition to the typical Red, Green, Blue, Black, White.

They tend to add new color variations every time, so that'd be fine adding a couple of variants to normal Link with him cel-shaded while still keeping the tunics.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope whatever Pikmin rep we get (Likely Olimar) should just change the suit color and face with each of the color swaps (Louie, President, the 3 Pikmin 3 captains). It'd be pretty cool and an easy way to show more faces from the cast, and since all of them are pretty similar outside of some differences in body shape, it could work

This posted yet?

qMKDANb.png

This was given to me by a friend. So i don't know the sourse and all. I just thought to post it here

Edited by frokenok3
  • Thumbs Up 1

This posted yet?

qMKDANb.png

This was given to me by a friend. So i don't know the sourse and all. I just thought to post it here

But Mewtwo is not a newcomer as he already debut in Super Smash bros. Melee.

Pretty obvious they mean Mewtwo being the X/Y Mewtwo is a newcomer, in the same way "Toon Link" was a newcomer despite being basically the same character as Young Link.

Anyway, the sad thing is that even if that is an early leak of information, it means nothing until it has been proven, at which point we will then know the exact same information as we would have done anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't really like the idea of Tharja being a Fire Emblem rep. I mean I guess she's a pretty popular character and is from Awakening to boot, but it seems a bit odd to have her there when there are characters that are a bit more relevant to the plot and games that could easily take her place.

Micaiah for example, who happened to be the main character of Radiant Dawn, could've been a nice choice considering her game went mostly unnoticed due to coming out after Brawl, and she would cover the mage aspect of Tharja's character pretty easily. Though if you want reps from Awakening, Emmeryn similarly could fill that role as a sage, and Aversa could work thanks to her Shadowgift ability (her mount could be featured in an attack/final smash)

I guess I wouldn't be completely against Tharja's inclusion, she could be a pretty unique and fun character, and would likely have some delisciously yandere references to the protagonist, but she just seems like a weird addition compared to some of the more relevant female magic users available.

To be fair as someone who isn't into Fire Emblem I can safely say Tharja isn't that good a rep since, surely they should choose someone who even people unfamiliar with the series will know.

I mean I'm looking her up now and I just don't thinwhoaly damn she'd make a great rep I agree yes Tharja is an excellent roster addition.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to see a slight implementation of physics in the new smash. When you do a dash attack similar to Mario or Sonic, they would go farther when doing it down hill and get a bit less distance when doing it up hill. Also, characters getting launched a bit more realistically when at low percentages. 

Edited by Dom

I'd have to say that list is fake. Doesn't look legit at all, and if we get a new character from FE It'd be Chrom for sure. Or PERHAPS Lucina, I'd like that as a twist they chose Lucina instead to add a female rep. But this Tharja character? All I have to say is: who? A rep for this kind of game shouldn't require so much digging in said franchise to find. If you look up Awakening, the first character you'd likely recognize is Chrom, second probably Lucina since she's so integral to the story.

I can't see another Kid Icarus rep, I really can't. I can DEFINITELY see Pac-Man in it, though. I also can't see the name being called Calamity either.

I still don't really like the idea of Tharja being a Fire Emblem rep. I mean I guess she's a pretty popular character and is from Awakening to boot, but it seems a bit odd to have her there when there are characters that are a bit more relevant to the plot and games that could easily take her place.

Micaiah for example, who happened to be the main character of Radiant Dawn, could've been a nice choice considering her game went mostly unnoticed due to coming out after Brawl, and she would cover the mage aspect of Tharja's character pretty easily. Though if you want reps from Awakening, Emmeryn similarly could fill that role as a sage, and Aversa could work thanks to her Shadowgift ability (her mount could be featured in an attack/final smash)

I guess I wouldn't be completely against Tharja's inclusion, she could be a pretty unique and fun character, and would likely have some delisciously yandere references to the protagonist, but she just seems like a weird addition compared to some of the more relevant female magic users available.

Radiant Dawn is awesome. Did it really not sell that well? Because its honestly my favorite game in the series (well, I haven't played Awakening). RD is massive with tons of characters which means tons of variety. It is also one of the few games in the series with tier 3 classes, which is even more epic. I absolutely love the game, I just wish I had a Wii or Wii U so I could play it more.

I think Micaiah would be a pretty good female FE rep as well especially since she's a mage, which is very unusual for a lead FE character. I couldn't see her appearing at all, but it'd be cool. If nothing else she'd make a good assist trophy.

I'm calling at least one of the deadly six as playable along side sonic.

^ I doubt we'll get a second rep from the Sonic franchise or any third party character, especially going by the first parties that still has only one rep.

Edited by canderson

...and if we DID get another Sonic rep, no way in hell would it be one of those shitty things...

• Thumbs Up 1

^ I doubt we'll get a second rep from the Sonic franchise or any third party character, especially going by the first parties that still has only one rep.

If by extremely thin chance of luck that we do get another sonic character playable, it should be Eggman. Smash Bros needs more playable bad guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not happening. I'd expect to see Shadow, Tails or Eggman before anyone else. Preferably Eggman since he's a villain and we all know the game needs more playable, AWESOME villains. As of right now, the only villains I can think of that has appeared in Smash bros is Bowser, Ganon.....uh that's it. Unless you want to count Meta Knight.

Techincally King Dedede is a villain; also, Mewtwo's alineament points towards evil (but not entirely).

Edited by Teoskaven