Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

What Remz said. The music especially. It may not be space opera orchesration, but the big band style seriously comes out on top.

Well I think the great part is it doesn't really stick to one genre or style like orchestra.

The music shifts from style to style from stage to stage with the only uniting factor being that all of it is good and all of it is insane.

It reminds me of the rest of the game- batshit crazy and experimental  

• Thumbs Up 5

The best example of that is the Athletic 2 and Beach music. They're both the same song underneath but, they sound entirely different.

• Thumbs Up 2

I said it isn't the most important game of the generation or an industry leader that everyone will flock to copy and learn from.

Implying Sonic Lost World 2 won't try to copy Mario 3D World.

burrrrn

• Thumbs Up 7

You know, I brought up those songs and I really should have linked them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQB98BvZb30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mUMj8jCcI

If I'm not mistaken, these are the only 2 songs Koji Kondo did. This is only a fraction of the variety, however.

• Thumbs Up 4

Late response but I just got back.

Where are these games at launch exactly? Oh right- they're fucking nowhere. Existing in the same ether as new Zelda, new F-Zero, new Metroid, etc.

You know why you really bought that PS4? For the same reason people don't buy Wii Us. Marketing. Sony promised you gold and you bought in. Nintendo don't promise enough gold and people ignore it. 

It's also pretty ridiculous parroting that "oh my god the gamepad adds so much to the price" argument, when, in at least Australia the Wii U is still $200 cheaper than the competition.

Look I agree that with the whole Sony handled marketing thing well, but is it so hard to think that people bought a PS4 or even Xbone for KH or XV? These are games people had been waiting for for some time. Of course they would play a large factor into a console purchase decision. If KH3 went to Wii U, you can beat many of those fans wild have gotten a Wii U.

Also, comparing KH3 and FFXV to F-zero or Starfox....at least we have confirmation of these projects being made, as well as gameplay/teaser footage. F-zero and Starfox have no indication of being titles that are going to be produced despite the demand.:/

Sorry Nep, but while I agree with you about Nintendo fucking up the Wii U (though several major third parties are also to blame, especially EA) I do not agree with you at all about saying the Wii U is unimpressive hardware. So what if it doesn't have OMFG AMAZEBALLS graphics compared to Xbone and PS4? So what if the gamepad is slightly flawed and the online (which is free btw) isn't used to its advantage? People like me who grew up with Nintendo are just happy to finally see them step into the HD zone. They don't have to bloody follow the other consoles example.

And hey, I can turn around too and say that IMHO the Xbone is unimpressive because its specs aren't as high as the PS4 and it looks like an entertainment box with Windows 8 (which sucks) functionality. That's my opinion, and I wonder...have you actually played a Wii U? Just curious.

Saying that the graphics aren't on par with the competition, the main gimmick is noticeably flawed, and the online isn't being used to any great degree seems like an odd way to go about disagreeing with me that the Wii U isn't an impressive piece of hardware. HD isn't particularly mind-blowing either. Everything's in HD nowadays: YouTube broadcasts in HD. There's HD channels and TVs. Phones have HD and 3D capabilities. Theaters are now using 4K. Good on Nintendo for finally stepping up to the plate, but considering the competition across both the video game market and mass media, that's not a great accomplishment in this day and age. 

You continue to also ignore relative competition with your Xbone/PS4 example. Of course the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbone, but that doesn't inherently devalue the Xbone's power as being crap; That's like saying a car that can hit 200 mph in six seconds is a piece of shit because there's another car that can do it in five and a half. The Kinect's significant improvements over its original iteration, the naturally increased processing power, and the cloud-based services, still make the Xbone a strong console anyway. The point is, both the PS4 and the Xbone are significantly more powerful than the Wii U which itself is apparently only on par with last gen technology.

Now, I personally don't care about tech and specs to the degree that it would affect my purchasing decisions for a console, but I also can't deny that lagging behind was a risk, one that isn't paying off because the Wii owes a lot of its success to the novelty of motion controls at the time. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

And yes, I've played on a Wii U before.

Late response but I just got back.

Look I agree that with the whole Sony handled marketing thing well, but is it so hard to think that people bought a PS4 or even Xbone for KH or XV? These are games people had been waiting for for some time. Of course they would play a large factor into a console purchase decision. If KH3 went to Wii U, you can beat many of those fans wild have gotten a Wii U.

Also, comparing KH3 and FFXV to F-zero or Starfox....at least we have confirmation of these projects being made, as well as gameplay/teaser footage. F-zero and Starfox have no indication of being titles that are going to be produced despite the demand.:/

The whole point is WHY buy it at launch, though? That's pointless when games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFXV won't be releasing until 2015 at the earliest. That's when I'll be getting on. Definitely no earlier than halfway through 2014.

• Thumbs Up 3

Agree that there's no point in getting a console early for games like that, (I'm not picking one up until the game actually releases) but there are people like that.

Hell, I knew people that bought a Wii U really only for Bayonetta 2 and Super Smash. Those people do exist, that's all I'm saying.

Of course, this doesn't stop the Kinect from being functionally worthless for everything except a select few titles, and not even Microsoft themselves are pushing it outside of Kinect Sports Rivals, which is extremely telling. Unless you're that keen on the voice control crap and/or want to record stuff, it's mostly a $100 paperweight that you can't avoid buying with the rest of the package.

Ahem, the Kinect isn't just used for a handful of games and voice control.

You forgot about the most important feature Skype and with its amazing 1080p smart camera and snap features, Kinect revolutionizes your gaming and TV experiences.

heh heh.

Pretty sure the PS4's Camera can also do Skype / video chat and take pictures. Wii U GamePad has video chat covered too.

Then again I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with your post or not so eh.

Pretty sure the PS4's Camera can also do Skype / video chat and take pictures. Wii U GamePad has video chat covered too.

Then again I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with your post or not so eh.

I think she was... But the WiiU can't multitask with video chat, yet.

The whole point is WHY buy it at launch, though? That's pointless when games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFXV won't be releasing until 2015 at the earliest. That's when I'll be getting on. Definitely no earlier than halfway through 2014.

Because I know those games are coming and I'm having fun trying new ones at launch until they release. I don't play FPS. I'm actually rather awful at them. But you know what? Streaming Killzone with a bunch of my SSMB friends was a lot of fun for all of us. Going to my friend's house, booting up Need for Speed, playing as a cop and violently ramming racers off of mountains while shouting "I AM THE LAW" was really fucking fun. Resogun? I streamed the first day I played it and was fucking giddy dodging the bosses attacks. Flower looks even more incredible than it did before, and also controls so much better that a replay feels really fresh and fun. Sound Shapes? You should have seen the stream. It's a ton of fun and my favorite level always feels incredible to play through.

There seems to be this baffling stigma about early adopters; that we buy consoles without any games, don't play them, and complain about problems that everyone else clearly saw coming. But that couldn't be more wrong. Just like my buddy had a ton of fun playing Mario Bros U at launch, I'm having a ton of fun with the games I'm playing as well. So is my friend and almost every other PS4 owner.

I'm most excited about Destiny, Final Fantasy, Infamous, Drive Club, Transistor, and Watch_Dogs right now. Those are the games that I really wanted this console for. But shit, that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit here twiddling my thumbs until they come out. There are some good-ass games out already, and I'm happy to play them.

So no, buying a PS4 for Final Fantasy is nothing like buying a Wii U at launch for Star Fox, Zelda U, F-Zero, or whatever else. Because it actually exists. I don't know if you were the one who said that (quote wasn't marked), so forgive me if this shouldn't be directed at you, but if so, you'd have a point if I had said I bought a PS4 for The Last Guardian. I didn't, though. The games that I'm excited for are games I've seen footage of and am fairly confident about release dates for (DC, InFamous, WD, and Destiny will all be out before May of 2014, FF 2015, and KH probably 2016). Zelda U still doesn't officially exist. Nor does Star Fox U or F-Zero U.

You may not be interested in any of those games I've listed, but evidently a lot of people are. 2.1 million people to be specific. That's a hell of a lot more than the number of people willing to bank $300-$350 on the possibility of Zelda U being great when it technically doesn't even exist yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course, this doesn't stop the Kinect from being functionally worthless for everything except a select few titles, and not even Microsoft themselves are pushing it outside of Kinect Sports Rivals, which is extremely telling. Unless you're that keen on the voice control crap and/or want to record stuff, it's mostly a $100 paperweight that you can't avoid buying with the rest of the package.

Even the Wii U's gamepad has actual, genuine use for core games even if devs aren't really focusing on it (and the ones that ARE using it properly, like in Wonderful 101 or Human Revolution Director's Cut are using it pretty well), not to mention the off-TV functionality.

You singled in on one phrase of my post (not even a full sentence) and completely missed the overall point that I was merely concerning myself with relative power increases; excellent. However you feel about the Kinect's utility is irrelevant in the regard of whether or not the actual power and accuracy in the thing is a noticeable step above the last iteration, and it is.

Furthermore, the devs not using the the Wii U's capabilities is not a good thing; it's probably as problematic as the tech being considered useless. If your hardware is not being roundly taken advantage of for the sake of the games, that is a problem for the overall success of the console, and it's compounded on by the fact that many third-party devs don't seem all that keen on utilizing the Wii U as a serious platform as much as it probably needs that, which again goes back to the fact that Nintendo has simply fucked up their handling of it. Potential has never been a convincing defense for any console.

• Thumbs Up 5

You singled in on one phrase of my post (not even a full sentence) and completely missed the overall point that I was merely concerning myself with relative power increases; excellent. However you feel about the Kinect's utility is irrelevant in the regard of whether or not the actual power and accuracy in the thing is a noticeable step above the last iteration, and it is.

Furthermore, the devs not using the the Wii U's capabilities is not a good thing; it's probably as problematic as the tech being considered useless. If your hardware is not being roundly taken advantage of for the sake of the games, that is a problem for the overall success of the console, and it's compounded on by the fact that many third-party devs don't seem all that keen on utilizing the Wii U as a serious platform as much as it probably needs that, which again goes back to the fact that Nintendo has simply fucked up their handling of it. Potential has never been a convincing defense for any console.

Yea, if you want a good example of this, its: Lego MArvel superheroes:

After lego city undercover, I was expecting the WIi-u version to be a great, if not the best port, but its not as great, first off while there is some integration, the main thing for the gamepad is off-screen play, character select(which IS useful), and a map, however there were many places where the game would have been greatly helped by integration, there were tons of areas that could have been integrated, and the game isnt perfectly optimized(NY occasionaly crashes, and some loading times are short, but you have to skip them)

Oh and my final quible is that there has been no news of DLC, and we werent given any preorder bonus characters, which is all the developers choice, not the fault of the wii-u

So yeah, developers liek to try and make the WIi-u look unappealing when they can, even though its way more capable than the other systems in a number of places

• Thumbs Up 2

Because I know those games are coming and I'm having fun trying new ones at launch until they release.
nothing like buying a Wii U at launch for Star Fox, Zelda U, F-Zero, or whatever else. Because it actually exists.

The only issue I have here is you're cherry picking specific games you know that won't get sequels, oh, and Zelda U DOES exist.

I honestly do like the surprise factor of Nintendo. Sure they might not announce a game 3 years before it is released, but they sure do make games that won't disappoint.

The only issue I have here is you're cherry picking specific games you know that won't get sequels, oh, and Zelda U DOES exist.

I honestly do like the surprise factor of Nintendo. Sure they might not announce a game 3 years before it is released, but they sure do make games that won't disappoint.

paper_mario_sticker_star_logo1.png

hue

Also I've lost most of my interest in FE: Awakening. If the gameplay is so unremarkable that the only thing I ever hear about it is the shipping are lolsofunny dialogue, it sounds like the exact opposite of what I like about the series. I /really/ hope to be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

paper_mario_sticker_star_logo1.png

hue

Also I've lost most of my interest in FE: Awakening. If the gameplay is so unremarkable that the only thing I ever hear about it is the shipping are lolsofunny dialogue, it sounds like the exact opposite of what I like about the series. I /really/ hope to be wrong.

I like to acknowledge sticker star as a ok game but a bad paper mario game. As for the new FE I've heard great things about it gameplay wise but that's mostly people who are into rpg's like SMT, bravery default and devil survivor etc

I KNEW SOMEONE WAS GONNA MENTION PAPER MARIO

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!

Can you honestly blame them though? This is STICKER STAR we're talking about after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hey, the one disappointing game out of the myriad good games that released for Nintendo platforms in the last year. You know, I COULD bring up the entirety of Final Fantasy 13 and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

Zelda U means nothing to me until I see it with my own eyes. I said "technically"; it exists, yes, but have any of is seen it? If not, and with absolutely no info to speculate on beyond "oh they might do some stuff that ALBW did", it might as well not even exist yet.

Zelda U, unlike Final Fantasy and Infamous, will not be a valid point for the Wii U until we know what it is and can at least ballpark the year it's coming out.

As for "surprise factor", I agree. It's nice to have some surprises. But when you're investing $300 into something, it's also nice to have some assurance as well. I know that Donkey Kong is coming out and will be great, Smash should be here by 2015 and will be great, and Mario Kart in February I think? That's it. X doesn't even have a definitive title yet, so that won't be here for a while. Zelda U hasn't been officially announced yet, so god knows when that'll arrive, and... yep, that's the extent of my Wii U knowledge. Oh, and Yarn Yoshi is a thing that will happen at some point in time I guess.

What about Bayonetta 2? That was a game nobody saw coming(and when it was announced people were mad for no reason)

What about Bayonetta 2? That was a game nobody saw coming(and when it was announced people were mad for no reason)

People kinda/sorta had a reason to be mad, though.