Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Oh hey, the one disappointing game out of the myriad good games that released for Nintendo platforms in the last year. You know, I COULD bring up the entirety of Final Fantasy 13 and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

are you comparing fire emblem to final fantasy 13, i'll bash ye fookin ead in I swear on me mum

People kinda/sorta had a reason to be mad, though.

They really didn't. Disappointed, sure, but mad? At who? SEGA, ok, but not Nintendo. All they did is fund a game that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

People kinda/sorta had a reason to be mad, though.

They wanted games for the console more specially a "hardcore game" and they got it

What about Bayonetta 2? That was a game nobody saw coming(and when it was announced people were mad for no reason)

Right, but that's a game that caters to an extremely small niche and will most certainly sell even worse than the already poorly performing original.

Very well designed game, yeah, but ultimately it only really has any influence on a small number of potential buyers.

They wanted games for the console more specially a "hardcore game" and they got it

Yes, but that isn't why people were annoyed.

are you comparing fire emblem to final fantasy 13, i'll bash ye fookin ead in I swear on me mum

No, Paper Mario. That's still going too far, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right, but that's a game that caters to an extremely small niche and will most certainly sell even worse than the already poorly performing original.

Very well designed game, yeah, but ultimately it only really has any influence on a small number of potential buyers.

Is one two million copies a "small niche" ?

Bayonetta was a critical and financial success..?

It's still something is it not?

Is one two million copies a "small niche" ?

It sold that much? I could have sworn I saw it marked as another victim to the Clover Curse. I stand corrected then, I guess.

It sold that much? I could have sworn I saw it marked as another victim to the Clover Curse. I stand corrected then, I guess.

Bayonetta is actually one of Platnium's best selling games outside of Metal Gear Rising. The more you know. 

To be fair though, it must have not met the expectations SEGA had for it as SEGA didn't want to fund a sequel.

Bayonetta is actually one of Platnium's best selling games outside of Metal Gear Rising. The more you know.

And knowing is half the battle :D the only problem is how many Nintendo fans are actually going to get it? But I digress

It sure did! and considering it's whacked out aesthetic and genre, that's quite an achievement, don't you think? 

So no, buying a PS4 for Final Fantasy is nothing like buying a Wii U at launch for Star Fox, Zelda U, F-Zero, or whatever else. Because it actually exists. I don't know if you were the one who said that (quote wasn't marked), so forgive me if this shouldn't be directed at you, but if so, you'd have a point if I had said I bought a PS4 for The Last Guardian. I didn't, though. The games that I'm excited for are games I've seen footage of and am fairly confident about release dates for (DC, InFamous, WD, and Destiny will all be out before May of 2014, FF 2015, and KH probably 2016). Zelda U still doesn't officially exist. Nor does Star Fox U or F-Zero U.

I was the one who said that, yes. Using Final Fantasy 15 as an example of games that exist is pretty funny. I'm sure people were believing that back in 06 when it was called Versus and it was their reason for buying a PS3, not PS4. 

• Thumbs Up 3

As for "surprise factor", I agree. It's nice to have some surprises. But when you're investing $300 into something, it's also nice to have some assurance as well. I know that Donkey Kong is coming out and will be great, Smash should be here by 2015 and will be great, and Mario Kart in February I think? That's it. X doesn't even have a definitive title yet, so that won't be here for a while. Zelda U hasn't been officially announced yet, so god knows when that'll arrive, and... yep, that's the extent of my Wii U knowledge. Oh, and Yarn Yoshi is a thing that will happen at some point in time I guess.

Special pleading at it's finest.

• Thumbs Up 4

Bayo1 should be around 1-2 million sales (most of them on PS3, ironically) which failed to meet expectations for both SEGA and Platinum. On a system that won't have a fifth of the potential userbase it's highly likely to do worse.

Granted, this caters to an audience that is likely to buy the system for the game, so even at worst it shouldn't stray too far from 1's numbers. After all, stuff like P4G or Vanillaware games on Vita prove that you can find excellent success with niche games on the right platforms.

Nintendo has to step the fuck up, market the shit out of the game, put some bundles, fund a port of the first game and other things that I specifically want regardless of their effect on the wiiu situation pls

• Thumbs Up 1

I certainly hope Bayonetta 2 sells well but I'm not exactly confident it will at this point. Especially not after The Wonderful 101's poor showing.

Yeah too right, I can't believe how abysmally W101 sold, it is by far one of the best games on the Wii U to date, I guess it is "too" different for it's own good.

It's a shame because it's the only game that's brought me the closest to feeling like an actual super hero, it has it's own world, it has it's own typical super hero trope characters, cliché banter, it has a comic book approach to everything and the game just keeps throwing bigger, badder & stronger enemies at you.

The story is pretty fucking bonkers and awesome to boot, not to mention the graphics and how much shit happens on screen at once.

Remember Ninety Nine Nights on the 360? It was gloating about holding 300 enemies on screen at any one time? Have you even SEEN the boss battles in this game? You can be flying high above the city in a space ship, chasing after a 3 headed fucking space dragon whilst avoiding it's fireballs and high rise buildings.

The engine this game runs on is not to be scoffed at, at all, the draw distance is incredible.

• Thumbs Up 4

Discoid, you have a pretty fundamental problem of picking and choosing points to use in your arguments, which come off as rather disjointed because you bring in points that aren't even relevant to the subject at hand. Just how the hell are Bayonetta's sales relevant whatsoever to your initial point about Nintendo not coming out with anything interesting on the Wii U? The moment someone mentions a counter-example, you shoot it down with completely inconsistent arguing. I also have to say that it's painfully hilarious how you criticize Nintendo for doing shit that other companies, such as our good friend Sony, has a tendency to do themselves, as Remy has pointed with FFVersus, oh and of course the gems that were the PSP and Vita. This is why people don't like debating with you in this thread. You're not consistent in your method of arguing and you dance around it whenever your inconsistencies are brought up, multiple times. Also you're so hung up over sales figures that it all but completely neuters positive discussion when you bring it up as if it's the end-all factor of every debate out there. The quality of the game? Doesn't matter, niche audience and bad sales and Nintendo isn't coming out with anything interesting anymore. Less of these types of posts, please.
Fair enough. I'll check myself on that in the future. Thanks. I will say that I tend to post on my phone while multitasking so I sometimes forget what the broader point of what I'm trying to make is, haha. Bayonetta certainly is an interesting game for them to have gotten exclusivity for, though personally I'm not a fan of the series. If it's popular though then hopefully it'll perform well enough to encourage more support in the future, as I've underestimated the original's success. I do want to apologize though for being so inconsistent. I'll work on that.

I was the one who said that, yes. Using Final Fantasy 15 as an example of games that exist is pretty funny. I'm sure people were believing that back in 06 when it was called Versus and it was their reason for buying a PS3, not PS4. 

But again, at least we've actually seen something from the game to warrant hype.(trailers,gameplay, announcements,screens, synopsis's,etc.) Same goes for KH3. We still know these are actually things that are going to be made at some point. What hype is there to have with games like F-Zero or Starfox U when we haven't even seen anything let alone actually have a confirmation of their existence? No one is going to buy a Wii U "hoping" those games are made for it.(Also I doubt FFXV will halt in production at this point. I can't see them jumping shark and scrapping it with all the money they've put into it. This is their second generation with it so, I also can't see them waiting until a PS5 to release it.)

So FFXV got moved from PS3 to PS4. Sony still gained a larger market/following as many became interested in other franchises while they were waiting. I wouldn't just buy a PS3 and just let it sit until Versus released.

Again, there are other games to bide the time. Sure I may be the most interested or excited for Kingdom Hearts 3, but I'm still interested or willing to try other things at the moment.(Personally I'm going to be waiting until KH3's actual release before I get a PS4, as I am hoping for a bundled or themed PS4. I want the game to be the very first thing I play on the thing.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Kingdom Hearts 3 was pre-rendered until the second, and very VERY Alpha footage. Regardless, Square-Enix showed us gameplay for FF XV like 4 years ago and we STILL don't have it. I'm not saying it's not coming out, but there's a reason that Remz and Sean are bringing these things up. I bought a PS3 for these games, and got burned. I'm sure as hell not banking on these games as a reason for a PS4 (Hell, right now they are actually still on PC rather than running on PS4 and Xbone).

You bought a PlayStation 3 for Kingdom Hearts III despite it never officially being announced for the console? Being disappointed in Final Fantasy Versus XIII which later came to be known as XV (thank goodness) I can understand, but not Kingdom Hearts III.

Why am I even talking about this shit in a Wii U topic? This needs to stop, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 3