Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

You also have to remember that NSMBU is now packed in with some of the Wii U's, so not all those sales are necessarily to people buying NSMBU for itself - I seriously doubt Wii Sports would have been the number one selling Wii game in this country had it not come with all the US Wiis.  People who are buying a Wii U for 3D World presumably like Mario, so they may be diluting the 3D sales by buying the NSMBU pack.  (Apparently in Japan you can get either black or white units with NSMBU and Wii Party, plus or minus Wii Fit).

I seriously doubt Wii Sports would have been the number one selling Wii game in this country had it not come with all the US Wiis.

Wii Sports Resort sold a bazillion copies too.

I wouldn't doubt it. Wii Sports was what sold the Wii. Maybe it wouldn't have sold 80m, but it would have still sold a lot.

• Thumbs Up 3

Of course, Sam's Club requires that you be a paid-up member or you can't even enter the shop. It's just an overpriced Costco anyway...

So I went to GAME to get 3D World...SO MUCH neglect for the Wii U. The store was basically divided in half with the Xbox One on the left side and the PS4 on the right.

Store space is allocated to what is currently selling and projected to sell.

Well it won't really sell more if the store space is so fucking tiny

• Thumbs Up 1

Stop with the apologism already, jesus christ.

It's been spelled out so many fucking times that there is more to this than "stores are meanies"

Maybe if Nintendo, you know, announced some games we want... I understand the desire to not announce something, have the hype bubble deflate and release it two years later when nobody cares, but hell, they really need to give their customers some hope, and draw in new business, and what could do that is a big fat "Coming in 2014 on the Wii U" trailer chock full of new games we haven't seen before, as well as a "What's already out that's brilliant" trailer, plastered all over the media with a big ol' marketing budget.

We need games. Third parties are shifting focus to the PS4/Xbone, so Nintendo needs to fill in the genre gaps by partnering up with those few third parties it can still rely on, as well as putting out more new IPs in more "adult" genres, as well as the staple favorites.

Store space is allocated to what is currently selling and projected to sell.

That and publishers have to pay for store space. Nintendo isn't giving much of a shit right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe if Nintendo, you know, announced some games we want... I understand the desire to not announce something, have the hype bubble deflate and release it two years later when nobody cares, but hell, they really need to give their customers some hope, and draw in new business, and what could do that is a big fat "Coming in 2014 on the Wii U" trailer chock full of new games we haven't seen before, as well as a "What's already out that's brilliant" trailer, plastered all over the media with a big ol' marketing budget.

We need games. Third parties are shifting focus to the PS4/Xbone, so Nintendo needs to fill in the genre gaps by partnering up with those few third parties it can still rely on, as well as putting out more new IPs in more "adult" genres, as well as the staple favorites.

Who's "we"? You? There are certainly games that I want.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who's "we"? You? There are certainly games that I want.

There are games on it that I desire as well, but you can't deny that, genre-wise, it's a pretty limited selection of games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is some good news, Nintendo is partnered with southwest airlines, and it seems to be working well

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/11/nintendo-southwest-wii-u/

Nintendo partners with Southwest to give away Wii U consoles during a flight
Nintendo has partnered with Southwest to advertise the Wii U for the holidays, giving a plane full of passengers new Wii U consoles.
photo.jpg
By Ashley King
ON November 26th, 2013 In News

southwest-wii-u-4.jpg Nintendo continues its marketing efforts in new and surprising ways, as today a Southwest Flight from New Orleans to Dallas was awarded with Wii U consoles and upon landing the 100 passengers had a chance to take pictures with Mario himself. Customers were surprised during the flight and representatives from both Nintendo and Southwest were on board announce the news.

“As Southwest’s
partner, our aim is to bring smiles to travelers and Southwest Employees through the fun of Nintendo video games.”

This surprise kicks off the partnership between Nintendo and Southwest. Nintendo will be setting up Wii U gaming lounges in Southwest’s most trafficked airports between now and December 22. Passengers will be able to play games like Super Mario 3D World at the following locations:

• Dallas Love Field
  • Chicago Midway
  • Denver
  • Atlanta
  • Tampa Bay
  • St. Louis

If you’re not going to be traveling during these dates, you still have a chance to win a Wii U console and a pair of roundtrip tickets from Southwest. You can visit the Southwest Nintendo site here for your chance to win.

southwest-wii-u-4-200x120.jpg southwest-wii-u-3-200x120.jpg southwest-wii-u-2-200x120.jpg
southwest-wii-u-200x120.jpg
photo.jpg
About The Author
Ashley King is a Contributing Editor for WiiUDaily.com and has posted 1128 articles. Connect with them on G+.

They also setup wii-u lounges

I can't help but feel like all of these marketing stunts and ads all feel very disconnected. Not seeming to be part of a large overarching marketing campaign designed to hype up owners and draw in new customers, it seems to me like they are destined to fail in their job even before they're dreamed up.

Where is the marketing blitz I thought was coming from August through to Christmas?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, except Wii U sold like 100,000 last week. Anyway, this is a form of marketing, but I don't know how much it will do anything. The idea of setting up Wii Us in malls and airports could work, though.

So it's come to this. Fleet sales to airliners. The Wii U is officially the beige Ford Taurus of game consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it's come to this. Fleet sales to airliners. The Wii U is officially the beige Ford Taurus of game consoles.

Is that a bad thing...?

• Thumbs Up 5