Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Nothing wrong with stating the facts.

Wii U might turn around at the end of it's cycle and have everyone excited because there'd be all these games for it, but I doubt it'll even be selling like hot cakes by the end of next year.. then again, Smash and Kart are coming, and so is Wii U Zelda.

Its a great console and a total shame people and bigger companies are shitting all over it like its some play-toy, but I guess I don't have to expect everyone to go gaga for it all of the sudden whenever we're in an age where (as awfully cliche as it is to say) the dominating market wants mostly just realism and shooters (or practically movies in playable format) while Wii U primarily delivers colorful, cartoony and particularly platformer games.

Of course, considering that Nintendo starts working on their more cinematic, heavy-on-visual-detail and varied franchises (Zelda, Metroid, StarFox, etc) that might turn some heads around. But they need to go ahead and show any semblance of those existing already, jeebus Nantondi.

• Thumbs Up 5

>Knack sold more than SM3DW

Posted Image

I give up on this industry

Well that's less the fault of either game and more the result of one console outselling the other in a single day over there.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's no need to blatantly insult people who disagree with you, ignoring the fact that I believe you're not so subtly talking about me in your post.

You don't have to be Nintendo's white knight to enjoy their products, you know.

• Thumbs Up 3

But is it bad that a new IP, and from what i'm seeing a good one, selling well. I mean I think it's a good step for the industry that those king of games succeed.

I mean is not good news for Nintendo, but I don't think it's bad. And maybe people are a little afraid of the new super mario game, since the last games they have been releasing are little too similar. Not saying that this game isn't good, it sure looks like it's really good. But thanks to little advertising people might not know how good it is.

It's just a thought.  

But is it bad that a new IP, and from what i'm seeing a good one, selling well. I mean I think it's a good step for the industry that those king of games succeed.

I mean is not good news for Nintendo, but I don't think it's bad. And maybe people are a little afraid of the new super mario game, since the last games they have been releasing are little too similar. Not saying that this game isn't good, it sure looks like it's really good. But thanks to little advertising people might not know how good it is.

It's just a thought.

It's not the game that's the problem, it's the console. Mario 3D World is a great-ass game in spite of being on a system nobody wants.

Think of it this way - an amazing game is a good buy at $50/$60, but what about $300? Would you buy a console you don't want for a single game?

It would have sold gangbusters on 3DS.

It's not the game that's the problem, it's the console. Mario 3D World is a great-ass game in spite of being on a system nobody wants.

Think of it this way - an amazing game is a good buy at $50/$60, but what about $300? Would you buy a console you don't want for a single game?

The PS4 and Xbone are much more expensive though, so that $300 argument doesn't really work well here.

But if we think that way I don't think that the PS4 catalog right now is good enough for me to spend 400 euros. 

But I won't mind giving 100 euros less, for a console that has a lot more good games, not just 3D World. And comes with a game.

I believe that Knack is obviously selling more because the PS4 is selling more, but I don't think Knack is any of the reasons people are buying it. I'm just saying that is good that is selling well.

And even if Wii U is selling badly, that is not the only reason 3D World is selling badly, because I think other Wii U games sold better.

When you see COD up top yet again, you know who the people are that are buying that game over and over again. These people that want nothing but guns, killing and explosions, just like the COD commercials shows.

Sorry, hold on a second, I enjoy CoD a hella lot (Ghosts is eh, but beside the point). Yet, I play Sonic, Mario and do those games have guns? (Ignoring Shadow for this post). I have bought CoD every year, and while I rage from time-to-time, I don't call every "faggots" and so on. I've also bought SM3DW and SLW this year? Does this make me one of this people you're complaining about? So, please, don't make such sweeping statements.

• Thumbs Up 5

One of the main things with adoption of any device, is that there are different levels of adoptions. These consoles are new and thus you have the first level of people, the Early Adopters, aka the ones that must have the new thing at all cost and want to be the first ones to have everything. These people just always want to stay ahead of everyone else and aren't going to wait and will just buy the items just to buy them to be that person on the block that brags over look what I got. You then have Early majority and then late majority and finally laggards. This is a normal business thing and one that always holds true with many many examples out there of it. So saying the people that are buying these consoles right now are buying them just to have them right away isn't some dumb theory.

Look, I'm not trying to sound spiteful and the ones that often say that I am, one in particular, they seem WAY more spiteful and negative than I am, yet they call me spiteful. I'm usually trying to look at the positives of this situation. When you see COD up top yet again, you know who the people are that are buying that game over and over again. These people that want nothing but guns, killing and explosions, just like the COD commercials shows. This seems to be a big trend these days, as the realism games sell wonderfully on the other two consoles and if they hear Nintendo they think babies toy or something you can outgrow, which just shows what kind of people these people are to me. They are just jumping on a trend, and dont sound like a nonbias kind of gamer that will play most of the consoles regardless of what other people think of them.

I'm not trying to be some person that just runs around shouting oh it is all doom and gloom for this console like some. Let's just keep upbeat and positive that the console will eventually do better and it may, instead of expecting the worst.

So basically, "real" gamers aren't allowed to enjoy games like COD and the like otherwise they're just buying into a trend and not really "Into it".

Ya know, this elitist attitude towards anyone who so much as plays a shooting game is really starting to piss me off. I play both Halo and Mario and Sonic and the like, so who are you tell me that I am less of a gamer because I like games like the former?

• Thumbs Up 7

The PS4 and Xbone are much more expensive though, so that $300 argument doesn't really work well here.

Yes it does, because people actually want them. You're failing to acknowledge that unlike the Wii U, these consoles actually have demand.

You bought a Wii U several months ago, correct? Why? For New Super Mario Bros U alone? Or as an investment for future Nintendo games?

It's the same concept. As the sales very clearly show, there is enormous demand for the new technology, features, and games that those two consoles promise to offer both now and in the future.

The PS4 and Xbox are both attractive products to the mass market on their own. Nintendo games do not benefit from being on the Wii U like Knack did. Best case scenario they succeed in spite of being on a console nobody owns or wants. Unlike Knack which benefited massively from being on a console with enormous demand.

Honestly, I'd bet money that had Wonderful 101 been a PS4 launch game rather than a Wii U exclusive, it would have sold exponentially better than it unfortunately did.

But if we think that way I don't think that the PS4 catalog right now is good enough for me to spend 400 euros.

But I won't mind giving 100 euros less, for a console that has a lot more good games, not just 3D World. And comes with a game.

I believe that Knack is obviously selling more because the PS4 is selling more, but I don't think Knack is any of the reasons people are buying it. I'm just saying that is good that is selling well.

And even if Wii U is selling badly, that is not the only reason 3D World is selling badly, because I think other Wii U games sold better.

Knack is selling well because it is a PS4 launch game. Mario is selling poorly because it is a Wii U exclusive.

It really is that simple.

Sorry, I wont be posting anymore of my opinions here. Sorry to come across like I did.

You don't have to not post anything, just tone it down a bit when talking about everybody in general like that since not everyone has the same tastes and likes as others do and don't make generalizations on everybody like that.

Knack is selling well because it is a PS4 launch game. Mario is selling poorly because it is a Wii U exclusive.

It really is that simple.

Never said that isn't true, I'm just saying that that is not all. Because Mario sells, it always did, no matter what console it was. So there as to be more to that.

There are a lot of people who would buy a console just to play Mario, and the number rises when the console in question just got a price cut and is the less expensive one.

Uh... haven't Nintendo platforms always sold like shit in the UK? Same with the software?

I'm not surprised that the PS4/Knack outsold Mario there.

Uh... haven't Nintendo platforms always sold like shit in the UK? Same with the software?

I'm not surprised that the PS4/Knack outsold Mario there.

Really not a good excuse when its been out for over a year now.

• Thumbs Up 4

Really not a good excuse when its been out for over a year now.

It's not a good excuse when it's been selling like shit everywhere, not just the UK.

For reference -

PS4 : 250k in 48 hours.

XBO: 170k in ~1 week.

WIU: 150k in ~1 year.

After seeing the idea tossed around a bit, I actually quite like the prospect of Nintendo killing the Wii U in a year or two after releasing a few games to make it worthwhile for the handful of people that did buy it. Having hardware slightly stronger than the PS4 would get them in a good position for the future, since they hardly like to compete with the others anyway.

If they do start releasing their systems about halfway through the generation, years before the rest, then they can at least deal with being the most powerful for half a generation and the cheaper, but already established one for the other half, rather than being outclassed every generation and largely ignored by everyone else.

I didn't say it was an excuse. Just not as surprising.

Compare Knack sales in America and it could paint a completely different picture.

*sigh*

I guess it's time to cross out 3D World on the "what could save the Wii U" chart.

fB27dfe.jpg