Awoo.

Sonic Generations 3DS-bound?!

Hero of Legend

Uh, no. The 3DS can't do the HE.

Exactly! Unless SEGA make a 'Hedgehog Engine mobile version'...a direct port ain't happening.

It is still the double (touch) screened thing. That 3D is just a joke. And the Power just reaching the niveau of a PSP.

They could work on a much more powerfull handheld.

So yeah, this is the funniest post I've read so far in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I thought the Hedgehog Engine was only compatible with HD consoles? It's not like MT Framework where that has a wider compatibility range (i.e - Super Street Fighter 4 3D).

If they can actually downgrade it to make it suitable for the 3DS then colour me surprised, especially if the light illumination techniques works on the 3DS (Because L.I data wise...is colossal)...unless they make an entirely new Hedgehog Engine for mobile devices (this is what Capcom did to their MT Framework for SSF4 3D) and call it 'Hedgehog Engine mobile'

Also, not to mention 3D effects strain the console even more...so it'll have less space to work with.

Until SEGA say there's a 3DS version themselves @ E3, I'm not holding on to false hope.

Uh, no. The 3DS can't do the HE.

HD = a Resolution. Guess what, graphics are more than that.

Let's wait until Sega makes a statement rather than deciding that 3DS can't do HE 'just because'.

Let's wait until Sega makes a statement rather than deciding that 3DS can't do HE 'just because'.

The whole point of the HE is global illumination and a light field, so that light is reflected off on and onto any object in a natural way. These are not things the 3DS can come close to handling. Bloody hell. You might as well be saying we should wait until SEGA says Generations isn't possible on the Megadrive before we make out own conclusions.

They can make it the same way they did Colors.

You mean, use an entirely different engine that's unrelated to the HE in any way? Yup. That's what they'll do.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

I agree with Ovi. Also, read this.

WII SPECS

CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly† clocked at 729 MHz[115]

GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[116] reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz[115]

"Starlet", part of the Hollywood package: an ARM926EJ-S processor reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz.[117]

3DS SPECS

CPU: 2 x 266MHz ARM11

GPU: PICA200 133MHz GPU by DMP

RAM: 64MB

Video RAM: 4MB

Storage: 1.5GB Flash-based

Not to mention, 3DS apparently sucks at formulating polygons. See, the reason why Resident Evil and MGS look amazing is because they're being spammed with shaders and all those nifty tricks they've got up their sleeves to make the game look high-end.

Heh. They may actually look like friggin' HD PS1 Games. :D (Jk, jk. As in Just kidding, bros.)

So yeah. This is nowhere near as powerful as the Wii. -sigh- Nintendo spewing out pointless horseshit again.

Block quoting a specifications list doesn't do your argument much credence when it is clear that you have no idea what you are quoting actually means. For starters, ARM processors are exponentially more efficient than PowerPC processors, so I wouldn't be surprised if just one of the 3DS main processors could outstrip the sad thing the Wii has. Two of them makes it no contest. Keep in mind that even the PSP can outperform the Wii in terms of raw processing power.

So yeah. It isn't 2. It's 1.5.

And usually, these things never change. Ever. It'd cost too much. It's like PS3. WHY would you want to expand the memory of something like that? Unless PS3 has special games where they have BLUE RAI PLUZZZ!. I also don't see that happening soon, since Nintendo clearly stated that they won't release a new 3DS in a while; just software updates. They (and 2nd, 3rd party companies less) wouldn't bother by expanding the memory of these games to that much stuff. It's really nonsensical.

No. Idea. At all. Its 2 GB, and it is incredibly easy to expand on that because DS game cards have always been, since 2004, modified SD cards. You also seem to be confusing cartridge storage space with (for whatever reason) on board flash memory.

Graphics, yes. Graphic engines, no. There is little to no chance that the 3DS could run the HE, or that the HE could be ported to run on the 3DS. It requires hardware power that the 3DS isn't even close to possessing. You can downscale all of the assets that you want from the big boy games to get it to a level that the 3DS could run them smoothly, but you couldn't use the HE to do it. You would need to program a new engine to run the assets, or run some variation of whatever was used on the Wii for Colours and Unleashed.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

You mean, use an entirely different engine that's unrelated to the HE in anyway? Yup. That's what they'll do.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

You know, instead of talking shit you could actually comment on what you dislike about my post and have a real argument.

That's totally ridiculous.

Translated to glorious English for great justice.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 6

Instead talking shit you could argument what you dislike on my post.

That's totally ridi..

Alright, then.

The Nintendo 3DS is not just a Nintendo DS with a camera and some 3D added, as you claim. This system is analogous to when the Gameboy transitioned to the Gameboy Advance. The hardware is more advanced, there is more space for bigger games, the resolution, graphics, sound and internet connectivity has improved greatly. This is more powerful than a PSP, and this is far more powerful than a Nintendo DS. The 3D is an additional feature that doesn't affect main play, but it's there. People are not buying the 3DS just because it's 3D, it's being purchased and invested in for the bigger and more powerful games that are going to come out on the system.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

3DS SPECS

CPU: 2 x 266MHz ARM11

GPU: PICA200 133MHz GPU by DMP

RAM: 64MB

Video RAM: 4MB

Storage: 1.5GB Flash-based

Isn't everything on the 3DS down clocked though? So isn't there a chance that it can do better?

And for anyone else, the 3DS can not and will not run the hedgehog engine, the ps3 and 360 could barely run it themselves and you think there's a chance the 3DS can do it? Do not kid yourselves. It just can't happen =/

Edited by Jetronic

*People seriously implying that the 3DS could handle the Hedgehog engine*

*Looks at coffee to make sure it's fresh and he's not hallucinating*

O_O

• Thumbs Up 10
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I've not implied it can, I've said let's wait until Sega says something about that rather than just saying it won't. If Unreal Engine 3 could work on iPad, why not?

When I said HD consoles, I meant the next gen consoles...Also I know resolution is one factor of running the Hedgehog Engine, the other is processing power. The 3DS hasn't got enough, uh, Blast Processing! :lol:

I've not implied it can, I've said let's wait until Sega says something about that rather than just saying it won't. If Unreal Engine 3 could work on iPad, why not?

It CAN'T. It WON'T. You're waiting for SEGA to say that grass is green. It would be possible to make a new engine for systems like the 3DS and call it "Hedgehog Engine Mini" or something, but that doesn't mean anything. It would be entirely different.

• Thumbs Up 5

It CAN'T. It WON'T. You're waiting for SEGA to say that grass is green. It would be possible to make a new engine for systems like the 3DS and call it "Hedgehog Engine Mini" or something, but that doesn't mean anything. It would be entirely different.

Exactly!

I vote the Half-hog engine.

*gets gory mental images*

• Thumbs Up 5

Because that's the (built with the intent of hardware scalability in mind) Unreal Engine 3 on the (considerably more powerful than the 3DS ) iPad, and we are talking about the Hedgehog Engine on the 3DS.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Even though they are obviously not using the Hedgehog Engine, that doesn't mean it'll be a new engine. I think there's a pretty good chance SEGA could get the same engine they used on Colors running on 3DS.

Even though they are obviously not using the Hedgehog Engine, that doesn't mean it'll be a new engine. I think there's a pretty good chance SEGA could get the same engine they used on Colors running on 3DS.

Um... yeah. You're confusing gameplay and graphics engines now.

Um... yeah. You're confusing gameplay and graphics engines now.

Yeah i don't even know what your talking about anymore! at first i thought you were comparing the Hedgehog graphics engine to gameplay but you know of the difference so what is it? your saying that a graphics engine like colors can't work on a 3DS?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2