Awoo.

Sonic Generations 3DS-bound?!

Hero of Legend

I usually am in disagreement with Diogenes, but he's got a point here.

If what they're trying to do with Generations 3DS is a Port, it will be mediocre, since the 3DS IS a powerful handheld, it's impossible that it could have the processing power of a PS3. More like a PS2, if we're actually trying to exaggerate. In fact, I don't even think NGP can play a port of Generations, and everyone knows that the NGP is way more powerful than the 3DS. Perhaps close to Gamecube's power. It's that the NGP doesn't have 3D. Other than that, everything about it is better: Graphics, controls... Just by looking at the games and those analog sticks just make it better. Heck, they should have released Generations on NGP instead! (even though it isn't released yet, and isn't so powerful, it's at least better than the 3DS and can be waited for.)

As for a game on its own... I doubt it'll be anywhere near as good as the Console versions. I mean, any of the stages the Console wouldn't have but the 3DS would, well... It can be patched up with Updates and DLCs. Sure, 3DS is more online-based, but it's nowhere near as good in such tasks like PSN and Live are. And quite frankly, even though I'm not a graphics whore, I do not want to see our beloved Sonic looking all pixelated ,blocky, and looking like a blue piece of walking shit like in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode One for the iOS and Android Devices.

As has been mentioned before, a perfect port is possible. Capcom used some sort of black magic to fit an 8 gigabyte game onto a 2 gig launch game card. Yes, they had to drop a few features and animated backgrounds, but they more than made up for it with what they did include. If SEGA could get their hands on a larger card, then a true port is very viable. Include a few exclusive levels and SEGA's got a winner.

Except SEGA aren't exactly doing much good lately in their Sonic games...

Edited by Tatsumaki

A straight port isn't possible, but I'm certain that if they make the models lower poly, the textures lower res, perhaps even make the game cel shaded to cover up the lower poly models, I'm sure it'd still look fantastic, my worry is that if they try to make it as similiar to the HD versions as possible is that it'll lag, which I've experienced with a few ports to the 3DS.

Apparently, Game Stop said something similar, so I'm guessing it's confirmed? That, or a really well-developed rumor. I think it'd be awesome if it was coming to the system, the 3DS has stronger graphical capabilities than the Wii, so I guess it would make sense for it appear on the system rather than the Wii, it'd be a more direct port of it's home console counterpart. I mean, I DID find it strange that 1) Nintendo fans weren't getting anything for Sonic's 20th beyond the possible Sonic 4 Episode 2 and 2) that Mario and Sonic at the Craptacular Special Olympics 3 was going to be Sonic's first outing on the 3DS.

Very cool indeed, I've been thinking about picking up a 3DS this Christmas, so I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for this one.

Edited by EXshad

A straight port isn't possible, but I'm certain that if they make the models lower poly, the textures lower res, perhaps even make the game cel shaded to cover up the lower poly models, I'm sure it'd still look fantastic, my worry is that if they try to make it as similiar to the HD versions as possible is that it'll lag, which I've experienced with a few ports to the 3DS.

My point exactly. And the problem is that EVERYBODY wants Unleashed HD gameplay.

I don't think it's possible for Generations to make the jump like SSF4 did- a 2D fighter is going to translate a bit differently than a 3D action game. Besides processing power, I think one of the issues is the screen size. The camera is already really zoomed out as it is, and I can't imagine it on a smaller screen.

If there is a 3DS version, I'd like to see it have levels made for the system from the ground up which would give consumers incentive to get both versions.

The PS2 was the weakest console last gen.

The NGP is closer to the PS3, I believe.

Oh, really? Didn't know that, thanks!

Well, I do recall Sony stating the NGP being closer to a PS2.5.

And the 3DS is a more powerful Wii, so they're very close. The way I see it, the NGP is a 3DS with more blast processing that can support higher poly models and better shading. And maybe HD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, really? Didn't know that, thanks!

Well, I do recall Sony stating the NGP being closer to a PS2.5.

And the 3DS is a more powerful Wii, so they're very close. The way I see it, the NGP is a 3DS with more blast processing that can support higher poly models and better shading. And maybe HD.

NGP should be about twice as powerful as a 3DS, and based on the processor specs, its looking to be slightly more powerful than the 360. Not sure about graphics card though.

3DS is extremely false. I doubt it's that powerful. I think they're just over-bluffing it. For example, Apple says that the iPod 4 is a very powerful portable device.

It isn't.

It's not even close to a gigabyte of RAM.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

3DS is extremely false. I doubt it's that powerful. I think they're just over-bluffing it. For example, Apple says that the iPod 4 is a very powerful portable device.

It isn't.

It's not even close to a gigabyte of RAM.

3DS game carts at launch are limited to 2GB.

After a while, Nintendo will allow studios to create games that take up to 16, or even 32GB.

An average Xbox360 game disc contains about 8GB.

You do the math.

In my opinion I care less about a 3DS sonic game. Because I don't have a 3DS and do not want a 3DS. It's just another Gimmick/Toy from Nintendo.

It's already the 5th version of a DS.

Don't take me wrong. I care about them they do have one and hope the best to get a good Sonic game on it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 4

In my opinion I care less about a 3DS sonic game. Because I don't have a 3DS and do not want a 3DS. It's just another Gimmick/Toy from Nintendo.

It's already the 5th version of a DS.

Don't take me wrong. I care about them they do have one and hope the best to get a good Sonic game on it.

Olololololol

It's a whole new system, dum dum. Like, like the GBA to DS. Anyone, off topic...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I agree with Ovi. Also, read this.

WII SPECS

CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly† clocked at 729 MHz[115]

GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[116] reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz[115]

"Starlet", part of the Hollywood package: an ARM926EJ-S processor reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz.[117]

3DS SPECS

CPU: 2 x 266MHz ARM11

GPU: PICA200 133MHz GPU by DMP

RAM: 64MB

Video RAM: 4MB

Storage: 1.5GB Flash-based

Not to mention, 3DS apparently sucks at formulating polygons. See, the reason why Resident Evil and MGS look amazing is because they're being spammed with shaders and all those nifty tricks they've got up their sleeves to make the game look high-end.

Heh. They may actually look like friggin' HD PS1 Games. :D (Jk, jk. As in Just kidding, bros.)

So yeah. This is nowhere near as powerful as the Wii. -sigh- Nintendo spewing out pointless horseshit again.

My sources:

http://kotaku.com/5644430/report-nintendo-3ds-hardware-specs-revealed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications

Have fun, bros.

Olololololol

It's a whole new system, dum dum. Like, like the GBA to DS. Anyone, off topic...

Not really. Topic name: Sonic Generations 3DS-bound?!

By combining Sonic Generations and 3DS, we're discussing of whether or not we're in agreement that Sonic should be in the 3DS or not and why. Reason why we must mention things like specifications. It's like talking about Emancipation of minors. Sub-topics like Adoption and Marriage may not have to do entirely with Emancipation, but it has something that's relevant to the topic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Olololololol

It is still the double (touch) screened thing. That 3D is just a joke. And the Power just reaching the niveau of a PSP.

They could work on a much more powerfull handheld.

@Tatsumaki

Thank you! ^^

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 7

After a while, Nintendo will allow studios to create games that take up to 16, or even 32GB.

You do the math.

So yeah. It isn't 2. It's 1.5.

And usually, these things never change. Ever. It'd cost too much. It's like PS3. WHY would you want to expand the memory of something like that? Unless PS3 has special games where they have BLUE RAI PLUZZZ!. I also don't see that happening soon, since Nintendo clearly stated that they won't release a new 3DS in a while; just software updates. They (and 2nd, 3rd party companies less) wouldn't bother by expanding the memory of these games to that much stuff. It's really nonsensical.

So yeah. It isn't 2. It's 1.5.

And usually, these things never change. Ever. It'd cost too much. It's like PS3. WHY would you want to expand the memory of something like that? Unless PS3 has special games where they have BLUE RAI PLUZZZ!. I also don't see that happening soon, since Nintendo clearly stated that they won't release a new 3DS in a while; just software updates. They (and 2nd, 3rd party companies less) wouldn't bother by expanding the memory of these games to that much stuff. It's really nonsensical.

To be FAIR, since people nag about how things are technologically developed constantly, I will use the first PSP as an example.

"In terms of raw processing power, the PSP's CPU had a maximum clocking speed of 333 MHz. For unknown reasons, however, the PSP-1000's CPU was originally capped at 222 MHz."

http://gear.ign.com/articles/906/906678p1.html

(IGNorance, I know.)

Also, the reason why I'm mentioning processors, RAM, and such is this simple reason.

Without a good RAM or Processing Power, your games would be beyond lagginess and instability, and your games will simply just look too atrocious to watch. Hence, processors and RAM are the center of gaming's universe, including other things. Any PC gamer or hardcore Hardware guy knows that.

Apparently, a handheld that is about seven years old is closer to the processing power that Nintendo's 2011 newborn baby's got. But no, people just ignore that because of the shiny 3D that is totally irrelevant to the gameplay. This has always been my opinion of the 3DS: (though I am getting it)it's nothing more than a useless toy created by Nintendo that's only got about three, five games that people will purchase and will cease to continue using the device after beating them all. Nintendo's best handhelds were the GBA SP and DS Lite. Nothing more. Everything else is just not good. Then again, GB and GBC are awesome, but hey... They're classics.

And no prob, Ovi, bro! :D

Edited by Tatsumaki

Nintendo's best handhelds were the GBA SP and DS Lite. Nothing more. Everything else is just not good. Then again, GB and GBC are awesome, but hey... They're classics.

Nintendo handhelds:

-Game Boy

-Game Boy Color

-Virtual Boy

-DS

-3DS

You just said every Nintendo handheld apart from the Virtual Boy and the 3DS was "awesome", or the "best", and the 3DS only came out a few months ago. I remember when the DS came out, the only games I had for a while were the Mario 64 remake and a few touch-screen gimmick games, and the PSP was years ahead of the DS when it came out as well. So I think it's a bit early to say that only five good games will ever come out for it.

Edited by Ekaje

Nintendo handhelds:

-Game Boy

-Game Boy Color

-Virtual Boy

-DS

-3DS

You just said every Nintendo handheld apart from the Virtual Boy and the 3DS was "awesome", or the "best", and the 3DS only came out a few months ago. I remember when the DS came out, the only games I had for a while were the Mario 64 remake and a few touch-screen gimmick games, and the PSP was years ahead of the DS, as well.

Well, I mentioned just these because they pretty much played just about any generation. The reason why I mentioned GB and GBC is because of that: they're classics. But as a matter of fact, I should have just mentioned the DS Lite and SP alone, since they can play all these generations.

Well, the DS may have been gimmicky, but it at least demonstrates more potential than the arbitrary 3D effect. And, it can at least play Gameboy Advance games, why don'tcha know?

Now, I know where you might lead yourself here, but I won't allow you. ;)

Sure, the 3DS can play DS games. Cool. But, let's face it. The DS's library isn't anywhere near as large as GBA's. I personally think that it was a huge flaw from their part to not include a GBA slot. And it was even dumber move of Nintendo to resell virtual versions of Game Boy Advance games you already have and have no value at all. Unless, if you can actually sell Downloadable Content? ... Nah. And like I've said: 3D is a passing fad, and from the looks of it, (by mentioning Virtual Boy) you know your games. So I can easily tell you that 3D isn't anything new. That it existed since VECTREX. And even Sonic's company made 3D once. For the Master System. But, they've all died. Frankly, 3D may work for some things, but I don't think it works for gaming. People see it as something too gimmicky beyond repair.

And yeah. It proves my point even further that PSP was pretty damn good...

For a seven year-old handheld.

Edited by Tatsumaki
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I wasn't bashing the DS in the slightest. The point I was trying to make is that the DS had a slow start, like the 3DS, but now has an amazing library, so it's premature to judge the 3DS right now.

The 3D is a gimmick, everyone knows that. The only thing that excited me about the system was the loads of great games are going to come out for it by the end of the year, and yes, reselling GBA games digitally is pointless for those who already own them, but for people who haven't, it's much more convenient than hunting down copies on EBay.

But since this is a thread about Sonic 3DS and not the system itself, I'm going to stop derailing here.

Edited by Ekaje

You do the math.

It's not always about storage space, it's also about processing power.

The 3DS CANNOT handle the Hedgehog Engine, PERIOD! It's NOT next gen enough to handle that kind of processing power the PS3 & Xbox 360 can handle. Even the PS3 & Xbox 360 has a hard time using the Hedgehog Engine whilst having a constant framerate all the time...you really think the 3DS can do better? It'll probable explode with all that processing strain!

The 3DS will get it's own unique version of the game, probably akin to Sonic Rush (that's IF it's coming to the 3DS at all).

I think all the people who expect a straight port from the HD version on the 3DS are very, very delusional! The best chance for a straight out port for a Nintendo console will be Project Cafe...

I'm not bashing on the 3DS, hell, I even have one myself...but I'm being realistic here.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 3DS CANNOT handle the Hedgehog Engine, PERIOD!

Let's wait until Sega actually states something like that okay? I've been surprised at what companies have gotten working on the 3DS before, don't see why Sega wouldn't give it a try. Also, Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine, something that can easily be downgraded if you want to port it to the 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's wait until Sega actually states something like that okay? I've been surprised at what companies have gotten working on the 3DS before, don't see why Sega wouldn't give it a try. Also, Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine, something that can easily be downgraded if you want to port it to the 3DS.

I thought the Hedgehog Engine was only compatible with HD consoles? It's not like MT Framework where that has a wider compatibility range (i.e - Super Street Fighter 4 3D).

If they can actually downgrade it to make it suitable for the 3DS then colour me surprised, especially if the light illumination techniques works on the 3DS (Because L.I data wise...is colossal)...unless they make an entirely new Hedgehog Engine for mobile devices (this is what Capcom did to their MT Framework for SSF4 3D) and call it 'Hedgehog Engine mobile'

Also, not to mention 3D effects strain the console even more...so it'll have less space to work with.

Until SEGA say there's a 3DS version themselves @ E3, I'm not holding on to false hope.

Uh, no. The 3DS can't do the HE.

• Thumbs Up 5