Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

I think details about where it is in this particular game are part of the spoilerishness, even most of it.

Best sonic game since s3k.

The beautiy of this game is how it's like there are actually people among the team that have working set of brains. I mean it's like they really thought things through.

Major things like level designs, more platforming, reduction of speed compared to unleashed, reduction of boost usage(reduction of encouragment to use the boost also).

But also things like the rings, rings are so scarse in this game compared to any sonic game except sonic 1. This is like something I had been screaming about for so long. How the fuck do you die in a sonic game when at the same time you get hit you find new rings? Botomless pits of course, which was exactly the problem. There is no fun if the only thing that kills you are botomless pits. Why the hell should hazards even exist with that logic. In sonic colors, I actually found myself having 0 rings sometimes and damn that is something I haven't seen in ages.

Also the way rings scatter away like crazy when getting hit is so perfectly done as if they really thought about it's impact in difficulty. I think this is something even the 2d games should learn from. When the rings scatter away you can pick them up after a second or two and by than alot of the rings have allready scattered away.

The beautiful thing of this all is that I can finally trust in great staff at sonicteam again. They sat a standard in story and gameplay. It can only get better and better if these same people that had worked on colors aim for better.

Edited by Jaouad

Now I'm up to Terminal Velocity and I feel like I have a better understanding of what I don't like about the DS version of this game.

It's the Wisps. Optional my ass; you have to use them in most of the levels, and many, many times to boot. I'd normally be okay with them, but in the Wii version, their usage appears comparatively far more sparse. I'm not a fan of Burst as I mentioned before, but even Void is clumsy and sluggish to use. The rest aren't bad, save for Laser's short reaction time. The levels actually aren't fun for the most part. I was pretty bored with the first half of the game, and Asteroid Coaster is fucking cheap - it's the one level I despise outright. The only level I can remember having a lot of fun with is Aquarium Park.

Stopped at Terminal Velocity because I fucking hate mach-speed sections. Lack of side-stepping makes the entire experience completely intolerable. So, yeah. This game has a lot more platforming going on than its predecessors, but otherwise it's a big step-down in terms of enjoyment from Sonic Rush Adventure, and I would just barely rank it above the original Rush. And it's not like this was ever going to trump the Wii one anyway.

I finished playing through Colours Wii.

This game is easily the best 3D Sonic game and rivaals the classic trilogy in my book.

The Characters are magnificient, while the story stays light-hearted the Character interaction are nearly perfect. This is THE best Tails, who finally smart-talks back to Sonic and is grown up and both are finally aware that this whole battle with Eggman is going on since forevever.

Eggman has found a pretty good balance between goofy and downright menacing. (I WILL CRUSH SONIC!!)

The jump mechanincs bothered me here and there, but you can get used to it pretty fast, but they are improveable.

The level gimmicks are also a blast and you keep on guessing what the next level will throw in your way.

The game clearest weakest point are the bosses imo.

They are too easy, but sometimes they caught you off-guard, lke you're hit once and lost all rings and you have no chance to get the back.

You should be able to get the rings back, so they can make the boses a bit longer, espesically the final boss.

This is also my favourite Sonic soundtrack now, the variation from the jazzy Sweet mountain, calm Planet Wisp and rock in Asteroid Coaster really makes this sountrack memorable.

The level desingn is also near perfect and I realised hoe surprised I was when running into a bottomless pit without being able to react fast enough. This happened pretty often in earlier Sonic games, here only 3 times.

Also alternate pathways are all over the place and I often jump down to find out what is there, or, of course, use the Wisp to just investigate.

I haven't unlocked Super Sonic yet, but he looks just as brocken as he was back in the days, so that's a big plus in my book.

Edited by Uklo

Right, quick question?

I finished the DS version with all emeralds about half an hour ago. Just to check,

is there any similar kind of extra last boss

Right, quick question?

I finished the DS version with all emeralds about half an hour ago. Just to check,

is there any similar kind of extra last boss

in the Wii version, too? I haven't got many red rings yet.

Nahh, the final boss you don't need the Chaos Emeralds to face. No secret final boss, but there is something else for collecting all the Red Rings...

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

xD It's the impressions topic, and... if you saw the early bosses, you've seen 'em all. As sad as that is to say. Plus, a lot of what I mentioned happens early in the game.. wasn't it like, a preview here mentioning how Tails would be mind-controlled? lol

Goof on my part. I thought

Tails getting brainwashed

was a big plot-twisting spoiler, but it turned out not to be after all.

I'm really enjoying the cutscenes in this game. The lame jokes have a real charm to them and I have never seen so many lampshades in a Sonic game. They're getting hung all over the place.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

Nahh, the final boss you don't need the Chaos Emeralds to face. No secret final boss, but there is something else for collecting all the Red Rings...

Ahh, fair enough. I know what that is already, thanks to someone making a topic blatantly saying as such a couple of days back. D:

So I picked both versions up early yesterday morning (from Argos, took advantage of the in-store free figure deal but waiting for the figures to actually come into stock yet) - haven't played the DS version yet but have beaten the main game on the Wii version - and I have just one thing to say about Sonic Colours.

FUCK YES.

This game isn't a good game. It's an amazing game. The graphics, the script, the soundtrack, the gameplay... it's all pretty much spot on. The Wisp powers don't detract from the Sonic feel, if anything they enhance it. Stupidly simple concepts like drilling underwater come across as absolutely ingenious, and the whole atmosphere of the game is just... indescribably awesome.

It's not perfect by any means - the drifting can be a bit iffy at times, repeated bosses can be tiresome, and some of the level designs made me swear at the screen in rage (I'm looking at you, Asteroid Coaster Act 3!) but these are comparatively minor niggles in an otherwise well crafted and most importantly enjoyable package. This is easily one of the best 3D Sonic games, if not the best 3D Sonic game... heck, it's just one of the best Sonic games full stop. I very much look forward to jumping straight back into it in search of all those elusive Red Rings (damn, I'm gonna need a guide for those!).

Particular highlights:

- Tropical Resort Act 1 is infinitely replayable, I have played through it so many times already and it never gets old

- loop-de-looping round a doughnut

- Aquarium Park Act 1 music <3

- drilling underwater

- sod it, the WHOLE of Aquarium Park

Also, I remember reading one of Shadzter's posts from yesterday about Sonic doing a little mid-air jump despite only pressing the jump button once. I have discovered the reason behind this - if you just tap the jump button, Sonic just does a regular jump, but if you hold it down, Sonic does the little extra bit in mid-air. And of course, in either case, pressing the jump button again makes you double jump.

So yeah. Happy MK is happy. Long live the 'hog, etc!

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember someone asking about this earlier, but it's likely buried by now. How do you get past that crab that chases you in Aquarium Park? I get to the second part of the chase and my boost meter runs out and all you can do is quick step left and right, so you can't avoid his swipes and you then of course die.

EDIT:

Never mind, I've done it now, with 1 life left too :lol:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the game, Doctor MK.

Also, I remember reading one of Shadzter's posts from yesterday about Sonic doing a little mid-air jump despite only pressing the jump button once. I have discovered the reason behind this - if you just tap the jump button, Sonic just does a regular jump, but if you hold it down, Sonic does the little extra bit in mid-air. And of course, in either case, pressing the jump button again makes you double jump.

Yeah, I worked out that's what happens with the jumping, but it still feels really awkward and hard to control to me.

Okay so could I get a hand on

Aquatic Park Act 3: 3rd Red Ring

Asteroid Coaster Act 1: 5th Red Ring (I know where this is, but when I homing to the pulley Sonic doesn't grab the ring despite coming almost in contact with it)

That's all I need for 180. Please help =).

Question! The hover wisps always seem to run out for me sooner than the lines of rings suggest they should. Am I doing something wrong?

I've just finished Sonic Colours. Wow, this is a MAJOR improvement. With this game, SEGA is totally going in the right direction. Everything is near perfect; level design (I LOVE Aquatic Park!), music, voices, the script, the cutscenes, the graphics and most of all, the gameplay. I enjoyed it immensely~ <3333 And the Wisps, like Doctor MK said, don't detract from the Sonic gameplay at all, but add to it! ..They're super cute too. ;D Omg, and barely any bottomless pits!

Downsides? I thought the bosses were far too easy at times, and the game is a tad short. Then again, as I said in another topic, Kirby Epic Yarn is a short game too, so who cares? =D There's also some stages that made me yell with rage at the game. Asteroid Coaster, I'm looking at you..!

Overall, a brilliant Sonic game, absolutely brilliant. Bravo! ^__^

PS: OMG! Is it true that

Super Sonic

is in this game too??? DAMMIT SEGA THAT'S AMAZING! XD But wait...I know that there's red rings, and and you need those to get the

Chaos Emeralds

, but how exactly? I mean, there's the Sonic Simulator but when I played the first stage...nothing. So, I don't get it. >.>

I've just finished Sonic Colours. Wow, this is a MAJOR improvement. With this game, SEGA is totally going in the right direction. Everything is near perfect; level design (I LOVE Aquatic Park!), music, voices, the script, the cutscenes, the graphics and most of all, the gameplay. I enjoyed it immensely~ <3333 And the Wisps, like Doctor MK said, don't detract from the Sonic gameplay at all, but add to it! ..They're super cute too. ;D Omg, and barely any bottomless pits!

Downsides? I thought the bosses were far too easy at times, and the game is a tad short. Then again, as I said in another topic, Kirby Epic Yarn is a short game too, so who cares? =D There's also some stages that made me yell with rage at the game. Asteroid Coaster, I'm looking at you..!

Overall, a brilliant Sonic game, absolutely brilliant. Bravo! ^__^

PS: OMG! Is it true that

Super Sonic

is in this game too??? DAMMIT SEGA THAT'S AMAZING! XD But wait...I know that there's red rings, and and you need those to get the

Chaos Emeralds

, but how exactly? I mean, there's the Sonic Simulator but when I played the first stage...nothing. So, I don't get it. >.>

Here's how it works:

You start off with seven stages. 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc. When you collect 40 Red Rings you unlock the ability to play as Miis in the Sonic Simulator. When you collect 50 Red Rings you unlock stage 1-2. Get 60 you unlock stage 2-2. 70 Red rings nets you 3-2, and so on and so on (from then on out every 10 ReD rings unlocks you a stage from 50 Red Rings, so every 10 Red rings after that equals a new stage) and when you get all 180 Red rings you get the final stage, 7-3.

To get a Chaos Emerald you must complete all three stages in a set IE complete 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3.

Get all Red Rings to unlock every stage, complete every stage in a set to unlock a Chaos Emerald, get every Chaos Emerald theeeenn------

Hope that helps. I'm making a Red Ring guide as we speak, got five video guides up for five of the stages so far.

Here's how it works:

You start off with seven stages. 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc. When you collect 40 Red Rings you unlock the ability to play as Miis in the Sonic Simulator. When you collect 50 Red Rings you unlock stage 1-2. Get 60 you unlock stage 2-2. 60 Red rings nets you 3-2, and so on and so on and when you get all 180 Red rings you get the final stage, 7-3.

To get a Chaos Emerald you must complete all three stages in a set IE complete 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3.

Get all Red Rings to unlock every stage, complete every stage in a set to unlock a Chaos Emerald, get every Chaos Emerald theeeenn------

Hope that helps. I'm making a Red Ring guide as we speak, got five video guides up for five of the stages so far.

Thanks alot, that certainly does clear up a few things for me. I'm looking for Red Rings now, but it's cool you're making a guide. I might just use it! ^^

Yeah I can't find Ring 3 in Aquatic Park 3 at all. Does it really exist =S?

I need to remember exactly which stage Act 3 was, I sometimes mix up the acts when I haven't played them in a while though that should change with time. I think I may nap now, if you haven't had it answered in a few hours I'll make a guide. I believe it's the one with the rockets but too tired to remember exactly the location though my suggestion is to look above and below ground, the Water areas in this one are huge but definitely maintainable.

I've completed the game now, and unfortunately my opinion hasn't changed. I'm not really having fun. Some parts were nice, some parts were frustrating, but most of the time the game is just OK. Not very interesting. I think the most fun I had was during the credits (then again, those were fun credits).

Maybe I would need to play the game more (now that I've unlocked all the Wisps and such) to like it more, but I don't really feel like playing it again...

I'll try the DS version next. I hope I'll like it more.

I've completed the game now, and fortunately my opinion hasn't changed, I'm having tons of fun. Most of the game was nice, exactly 1 level was frustrating, but it was the final level before the endboss, so I guess that's permissable, cause' most of the time the game is just awesome. Well worth investing into. Credits got boring fast. I'm gonna play the game some more, still lots to find and unlock. Replay gold here.

The DS version has a lot to measure up to.

(Yes, I did that on purpose. Goes to show that opinions can vary wildly)

EDIT: Best final boss in a Sonic game ever. You know what, best boss ever. I know that's subjective as hell, but fuck yeah, that was awesome!

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just started up the game and finished the three first acts. I didn't get as much satisfaction out of it with the Classic Controller though so I just switched to my good old Wavebird so I hopefully get the feel of it.

It sort of tore down my enjoyment, but for now its pretty decent. It probably only gets better from here on though.

After beating the Wii versions story mode, I feel the same as Core. I didn't really enjoy it as much as most other people here. I take back what I said when we got our first screens of Asteroid Coaster, that stage was AWESOME and was the only one that offered any challenge. Definitely my favourite stage. I absolutely loved the cinematic sequences when homing attacking from large asteroid to large asteroid. If the other stages had been as fun as that stage, then I may have enjoyed the game more. I can definitely see how they tried to make the game more accessible to children and newcomers, which is nice, but made the game all too easy for regular Sonic game players apart from some odd bits. I had some fun in Aquatic Park too, since it was a nice change of pace for Sonic to be in an underwater level in a recent home console game and drilling underwater was cool.

I liked the length and didn't think it was all that short like most people are saying, considering each level has 6 Act's and a Boss, even if some of the Act's are pretty short. There is a lot of replay value there with the red rings, S ranks, leaderboards, new areas in earlier stages to explore with later unlocked Wisps and the multiplayer mode.

My wife's broke up from work for her week off, so we'll give the multiplayer mode a try at some point and see how that fares.

After beating the Wii versions story mode, I feel the same as Core. I didn't really enjoy it as much as most other people here. I take back what I said when we got our first screens of Asteroid Coaster, that stage was AWESOME and was the only one that offered any challenge. Definitely my favourite stage. I absolutely loved the cinematic sequences when homing attacking from large asteroid to large asteroid. If the other stages had been as fun as that stage, then I may have enjoyed the game more. I can definitely see how they tried to make the game more accessible to children and newcomers, which is nice, but made the game all too easy for regular Sonic game players apart from some odd bits. I had some fun in Aquatic Park too, since it was a nice change of pace for Sonic to be in an underwater level in a recent home console game and drilling underwater was cool.

I liked the length and didn't think it was all that short like most people are saying, considering each level has 6 Act's and a Boss, even if some of the Act's are pretty short. There is a lot of replay value there with the red rings, S ranks, leaderboards, new areas in earlier stages to explore with later unlocked Wisps and the multiplayer mode.

My wife's broke up from work for her week off, so we'll give the multiplayer mode a try at some point and see how that fares.

Guest Jordan4K6

I've been playing the game for a few hours now.... It's a great game, but Unleashed (360/PS3) is still much better in my opinion. Ill give the game a 8/10 so far.