Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

^

Its not like he didn't like it he just found the game easy. You got to remember that we are very seasoned Sonic players so a game like colors (unlike the regular public) can come off as a bit easy.

Regardless the reception on this game with the fanbase is still a complete 180 compared to what we are normally used to. I think Colors could have used a "HardMode" for the more skilled sonic fans, but I find it interesting how you can make colors hard for yourself depending on what routes you take.

I rather people say the game is OK to AMAZING, than people say its Abysmal to Alright....that shows so serious progress. People might like Unleashed Daytime stages more because its was harder.

Edited by Voyant

Sorry to hear you didn't like it. D:

What was it that bothered you? The easiness?

I don't think it's a bad game. There are a lot of good things I can list, like:

+ The return of the Badniks

+ More platforming

+ Tighter controls and drifting

+ Boosting not resulting in death, like in Unleashed

+ Wisp powers

+ Danger warnings

+ Music

+ Story, writing and voice acting

+ Asteroid Coaster

Things I didn't really like are:

- Easy difficulty

- Awkward jumping

- Boss rehashes

- Too many on-rails sections

- Game playing itself in some sections, like the first minute of Starlight Carnival.

- Camera zooms out too far a lot, making it hard to follow Sonic.

- Homing attack lock on reaches too far, so when double jumping in some platform sections you can accidentally homing attack a far away enemy.

I like the game, I think it is alright, but not great. I really wanted to enjoy it as much as most people are, but that's how I feel. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction though and a lot better than Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got onto Sweet Mountain, got used to the Drill Wisp and using the GameCube controller now.

This is the best Sonic game since S3&K. I'm serious.

Just got onto Sweet Mountain, got used to the Drill Wisp and using the GameCube controller now.

This is the best Sonic game since S3&K. I'm serious.

glad i am not the only one who thought so.

Unfortunately, I can't go out to try it yet because I don't have it, and school's my biggest priority. But I plan on getting it (both the Wii and DS) in a few days and then wait it off until the semester ends in mid-December.

I don't think it's a bad game. There are a lot of good things I can list, like:

+ The return of the Badniks

+ More platforming

+ Tighter controls and drifting

+ Boosting not resulting in death, like in Unleashed

+ Wisp powers

+ Danger warnings

+ Music

+ Story, writing and voice acting

+ Asteroid Coaster

Things I didn't really like are:

- Easy difficulty

- Awkward jumping

- Boss rehashes

- Too many on-rails sections

- Game playing itself in some sections, like the first minute of Starlight Carnival.

- Camera zooms out too far a lot, making it hard to follow Sonic.

- Homing attack lock on reaches too far, so when double jumping in some platform sections you can accidentally homing attack a far away enemy.

I like the game, I think it is alright, but not great. I really wanted to enjoy it as much as most people are, but that's how I feel. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction though and a lot better than Unleashed.

Ah. I adjusted to the jumping pretty quickly, I suppose. I didn't really have any problems with it. The only problems that bothered me as well were the boss rehashes and on-rails sections. The game only really played itself for a few intervals in Starlight Carnival from what I remember. Where did the camera zoom out? I remember having trouble finding Sonic during Starlight Carnival and Asteroid Coaster's boss, but that's it. It just takes a little while to adjust, I got better when I started my attempt at S-ranking all of Asteroid Coaster (only Act 3 left!).

You know, I'm really tempted to ignore the fact that I can't get Dazzle footage with my Wii, and make a video review anyway now. I guess I'll work on one when I'm not spending my time here and in the Youtube loop. d:

Out of curiosity, if you liked this a lot more than Unleashed, which 3D Sonic was your favorite?

The game's difficulty is kind of on par with mario galaxy imo. The thing is that sonic colors finally requires some real input from the player. You are finally really 'playing a goddamn game'. So basically if you die it's your own fault most of the time instead of the whole trial and error fake difficulty thing from games like sonic rush or unleashed.

That is why I don't care if the game was a bit too easy. Because I feel it was because I was playing good. And that is what a good game should feel like.

Edited by Jaouad

To everyone hunting red rings and everyone planning to do so: A rare few of those rings are invisible (and unpickupable, obviously) until you clear out rings, bombs, enemies, or special barriers nearby.

I say that because I played the same level over and over twenty times looking for the same red ring that was nowhere in sight in any path until I discovered that fact by accident. I think they did the same thing with the medals in Unleashed, so I should've guessed, probably.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

To everyone hunting red rings and everyone planning to do so: A rare few of those rings are invisible (and unpickupable, obviously) until you clear out rings, bombs, enemies, or special barriers nearby.

Hmm, I came across one or two of those in Tropical Resort, they were underground. But apart from that, I didn't see any other "invisible" red rings (yet).

Edit: just found another instance in Planet Wisp Act 3. You had to kill three robots there to make a red ring appear. Thanks for the heads-up.

I think they did the same thing with the medals in Unleashed, so I should've guessed, probably.

Are you sure? IIRC, Unleashed did not do that.

Edited by Korama

So I just finished the Starlight Carnival boss.

Really, this is such a silly and little thing to go on and talk about but to that music and that setting with shifting dimensions, I sat there with a smile constantly even though it was as simple as ever. Its like my mind was thinking "really, this is what Sonic's all about", it just nailed this awesome feel, one of those little moments you love in games.

This game does way too many things right its scary.

Im always the slow poster, but its not MY fault that I never got to play--Whatever, since I have the both version I have the right to put it my.....10 Cents (Get it? Cause I have 5 cents for BOTH and it makes--Oh screw it >>).

DS version: I didn't pass it yet, but gameplay wise its like all the rush games we ever had with stellar wisp abilities , basically like the 2 rush games without a trick system.

What rush game does NOT have blaze? No kind, this game isn't really a rush but it does use the rush engine (Without tricks) but here there are additional characters compared to the Wii, and there are allot, and what rush game does not have blaze? So this game has blaze for side missions like the rest of the characters besides Sonic, Tails, Wisps, and Eggman with Orbot and Cubot.

The music is a port or rip right off the Wii, but with good quality, but there are some instruments replaced. Anyway the DS version ain't bad itself, by graphics, well....They aren't bad and thats what matters XD

Wii version: Passed it JUST today, and I did it all with the trusty Wii mote! Could of done it with the GC controller but at least the Wii mote controls weren't like the secret rings, which im pleased with. The music is also STELLAR

Did I say that Terminal Velocity's music just had that epic feel?

Then there are the wisps! Gotta say, on both versions they are like the sprinkles of the game, and sprinkles are optional and aren't something that should stay with you with only one option....Not that I didn't like the wisps, they were good, GREAT, OUTSTANDING, AMAZING!!

So yeh, I enjoyed both versions of the game, but it left me with a scary price....Not in the game, in the store when buying both : \

Edited by Alex2beta
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay it's time for a little review!

I picked up the game this morning and played solidly until the story mode was complete. I did try to take a break half way through but that lasted about 10 minutes before I picked it up again

A little background first I suppose, as personally I find its important to know just a bit about a reviewer before reading, it actually makes quite a difference knowing if they liked what you liked in the past, are in your age group/situation etc..

I'm 25, first sonic game was sonic 1 on megadrive, love the original megadrive trilogy, big fan of the adventure games with SA2 possibly being my favourite sonic game. Loved unleashed too. I have stayed away from ALL sonic colours spoilers, not watched a single gameplay video.

Played through sonic colours with a couple of beers, a couple of Kipling Lemon Slices and my wife watching while reading manga on her laptop. A successful Saturday in all. Anyway..the game...I'll split this into sections, sorry if it seems a bit disjointed but I'm mostly just riffing here.

First I should mention the graphics I suppose...seems like a good start point. They are astounding. The attention to detail is sublime and the wii must be being pushed to its limits. Its all too easy to blast through the levels without even noticing everything going on in the background. Personally I think it looks better than the Mario Galaxy games. a LOT better, and I know I'll get some stick for that but galaxy never astounded me, Colours made me forget I wasnt playing an HD game.

The music is tremendous. Best sonic soundtrack in an age, I'm in love with it. The sweet mountain zones and planet wisp zones stand out as the strongest set of tracks.

There is depth here. Even the level select screens have gorgeous music and I found myself sitting listening to the stage select music the whole way though.

I suppose I should tie together the GRAPHICS and the MUSIC sections here to say that the first few seconds of planet wisp act 1 gave me goosebumps. I haven't been made to feel like that by a sonic game since SA2's city escape opening back on the dreamcast. Planet wisp itself is the perfect sonic level, mixing natural beauty with mechanical contraptions to make a captivating stage all the way through

The new voice actors are brilliant, the script is excellent and even though the story is basic you look forward to the next scene just because of the quality that oozes from the production. Even with the madworld writers taken away and Roger's excellent sonic voice removed, the brotherly chemistry between sonic and tails is absolutely charming. Sonic team really nailed it this time.

Now for something no-doubt controversial. I loved the automated bits.

There are so many stages and so much to do, I really don't see the problem with a few bits that play themselves. I specifically thought of this after noting Shadzsters comment about the first minute of Starlight Carnival playing itself. Of course, he's absolutely right, it does play itself...but during that entire minute segment not once did I think "ah this is annoying, i want control!" no, I was pretty damn thrilled to watch. its an excellent piece to build atmosphere before you take control. Just sit back and take it in and enjoy it, because if it was labelled a cutscene no-one would complain. Again, I'm not trying to stir things and Shadz is well within his right to dislike the sections that remove control but to me its just part of the whole sonic package, it's like watching the opening cutscene from Sonic CD and being annoyed that you couldn't control it.

Sounds like a lot of gushing so far doesn't it...well yeah its pretty clear I love the game, but there's one thing I'm not a big fan of and unfortunately its a biggie..

I just can't be doing with the wisps. Whether its controlling a drill around or floating about or aiming a laser to teleport, I find it kills the flow. And I KNOW that they are optional to complete a level ( for the most part ) but I love this game and want to find and do everything using sonic skills rather than some awkward or tedious ability. Its a nitpick really and DO I think the power-ups are handled better than they were in galaxy ( just as bad as sonic 06's amigo's but it was still "mario" so you didn't notice ) but I found myself hurrying on the drilling bits and laser bits just to get them out of the way.

I also found myself pressing the wrong button a lot. Even though I play all my consoles the same amount and KNOW button layout, when it flashed up "Z" it takes me a moment and sometimes mess it up. When I want to boost, sometimes I stomp and vice versa. I'm suprised I managed to finish the entire game without getting it down, and when replaying levels I'm still making these mistakes.

This is my own problem really and nothing the game could have improved itself. Its just worth noting!

Overall I massively recommend it. The difficulty is spot-on, I got a few game overs but was never "stuck". There's a lot more I'm sure I wanted to say but I'm suddenly drawing a blank. Sonic Colours is ace, get it get it get.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kinda sad how quickly I'm getting through this game. I've only had it for two days but I've completed it (4 hours 19 minutes was my time) and so far have 150/180 Red Coins, with no guide help whatsoever ^^

I've done all the Red Coins for Tropical Resort, Sweet Mountain, Starlight Carnival and only have 4 more Red Coins for Planet Wisp. Still got 26 left from Aquarium Park and Asteroid Coaster though...

Little question

i heared that Super sonic is not playable in normal levels of DS's Sonic colors, if this is true, what's the reward of obtain all red rings?

Little question

i heared that Super sonic is not playable in normal levels of DS's Sonic colors, if this is true, what's the reward of obtain all red rings?

Finally finished uploading my review. It's a bit sloppy, since the computer I'm using is garbage. Colors deserves a better quality review than Sonic 06, but I wanted to get my word out sooner than later. Hope you guys like it.

/Copypasta

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree with everything in that video, but did you have to keep the Final Boss music playing throughout?

No, I just liked the way it sounded. d:

I had one song per section, and since the gameplay section was about the length of the final boss song, and I hate the normal version of Reach For The Stars, I just wanted to put it in there. xP

Finally finished uploading my review. It's a bit sloppy, since the computer I'm using is garbage. Colors deserves a better quality review than Sonic 06, but I wanted to get my word out sooner than later. Hope you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPa8tAFn-XQ

/Copypasta

Awesome review is awesome! Thanks for making it. Certainly better than a certain Jim fella's...

My opinion on the final boss :

it was amazing and creative. but i wanted the mother wisp final boss from the DS Version to appear and super sonic in the final boss battle.

oh well, i guess they did it because the fans complained about robotnik not being the final boss for years

Edited by speedduelist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPa8tAFn-XQ

/Copypasta

I agreed with everything you said except for one part where you pointed out that the 3d sections could have been more interesting.

Aquarium park act 3 has some of that and I also think one of the acts in starlight carnaval. The outcome isn't really that good however.

The 3d parts are scarse and do their thing pretty well. The whole sidestepping and eye candy straight forward parts are what they are made for and for the most part they implemented them well into the game. Occasionaly theres a little bit more than that, but not to the extent of sonic unleashed.

Imo they just made the best out of the unleashed mechanics they allready had and clearly the mechanics work much better for 2d segments.

Sonic colors is a great game, but if they want to have decent 3d gameplay in the future they need to build a new gameplay engine from the ground up. Because the unleashed/colors engine does not allow for complicated gameplay in 3d.

Here's crossing my fingers they will for the 20th aniversary game (imagines pinball physics in a 2.5d/3d game) :P

*adds rep*

Edited by Jaouad

Finally got all 180 red rings, admittedly with a little help from a certain someone's red ring guide videos. Those red rings in the water levels were fiendishly well hidden.

Replaying Terminal Velocity as Super Sonic is so damned satisfying I can hardly describe it

I don't know where to put this thing...

From Boxer Hockey (you know, the ones who made that bizarre 5 part comic) Twitter:

gqe.png

I'm so going to sig this tomorrow. xD

• Thumbs Up 1