Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

I'm playing Sonic Colors right now, I'm on Astro Coasters.

I really like this game a lot but I do have to say IMO this game is not better then Unleashed.

I don't know what it is but there's just ....something missing from this game.

Also, this game is very light on story and I wish there was more.

I find it way better than Unleashed, don't know why. Maybe I'm just not impressed by the beautiful stages, because that's all I can figure is the cause. Colors' level design is vastly superior, in my opinion.

I'm playing Sonic Colors right now, I'm on Astro Coasters.

I really like this game a lot but I do have to say IMO this game is not better then Unleashed.

I don't know what it is but there's just ....something missing from this game.

Also, this game is very light on story and I wish there was more.

Picked it up and played through it quite a bit. I'm trying to love this game and there is a lot to love. But it just hasn't gotten me yet. My main gripe is that when it switches to 2D side-scrolling, it zooms out WAY too far at some points. I have to squint just to see Sonic on my HDTV.

Graphically, the game is phenomenal, almost impossible to think this is a Wii game. Controls with the Classic controller seem stiff at times, might switch to the GC controller soon.

I too find that the stage design is very inorganic.

But then again, this is a manEgg-made amusement park, so I suppose the inorganic-ness and the sense of artificiality may arise from that.

Seriously though, I love some of the Set-pieces in this game. Yes Starlight Carnival is automated a lot of the time, but tell me your jaw didn't drop when you saw those giant spaceships materialising in.

The game really does look stunning. Sure the textures aren't as good as Brawl or SMG, and sure there are few dodgy polygons (I mean the levels are so huge that I suppose they couldn't really afford to have any more detail than there is, without ruining the framerate), but goddamn does it look good.

If Sonic Team can carry over this amount of detail and content over to the HD side (with a suitably stable framerate; naturally) where there are larger disk formats and the option to install to hard-disk; then I think Sonic will once again be on the top of visual diversity as he once was back on the Megadrive.

With that in mind, I really do hope that they keep these visual set-peices for future games; but just have you doing more when they happen; or if they're really impressive and distracting; make them automated, but at least have more input from the player when the set-pieces have finished. Like in Starlight Carnival when that bigass ship materialises, its fine to be automated, but there is no reason to have the rest of the leve automated afterwards; as there is nothing there to distract you any more.

EDIT: lolwut?

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

the actual fight against the captain is annoying because the capsules in the air prevent you from homing attacking the pirate robot.

This thread made me realise of how the fanbase is divided. I mean I did know that the fanbase was divided but it always turned into flamewars where most of the fans loving sonic colors now, usually were on the defending side (defending for not liking a game).

From only that perspective it looked like they were a bunch of negative fans that had to move on and were not ever going to like a sonic game ever.

Now sonic colors has come things have turned the exact opposite. But noticable, in general people seem to like this a lot more and generally is a lot more praised (looks at metacritic).

Just thought it was interesting.

Edited by Jwiwo

Picked it up and played through it quite a bit. I'm trying to love this game and there is a lot to love. But it just hasn't gotten me yet. My main gripe is that when it switches to 2D side-scrolling, it zooms out WAY too far at some points. I have to squint just to see Sonic on my HDTV.

Graphically, the game is phenomenal, almost impossible to think this is a Wii game. Controls with the Classic controller seem stiff at times, might switch to the GC controller soon.

Played it for the first time today. It is fantastic. Loves all but lollipop swings and Planet Wisp act 3.

I just beat the game. Now it's time to complete it.

Anyone else feel that you shouldn't be able to beat the story part of a Main Sonic game in a day?

This game is WAY too short.

Edited by Gamer18

They always said if there was a Sonic-only game it'd be too short. To be fair they really did pack it with a bunch of alternate paths and secrets.

And I knew this divide was coming a week ago when I was comparing notes with other fans. As I said back then...

Sonic Unleashed=Sonic Rush 3D

Sonic Colors=Sonic 1/CD 3D

The level design is Sonic Unleashed is a LOT like Sonic Rush, the level design in Sonic Colors is a LOT like the original Sonic the Hedgehog and CD. The styles and themes are similar even.

You'll prefer Unleashed if you like more dynamic, high-speed, epic-feeling stages which are based on quick reflexes and the rewarding feeling comes overcoming obstacles that try to kill or slow you down.

You'll prefer Colors if you like exploration, puzzle platforming, mastering a characters moveset to play well, enjoy more stage-specific gimmicks and prefer levels to have 'layers' and alternate paths to discover, with the rewarding feeling coming from playing well to keep up your speed and play well.

I think Colors is the best 3D Sonic game, but I can understand where others are coming from and I've always enjoyed exploring and platforming in Sonic more than speed, speed, speed and reaction time gameplay.

I find it a bit funny because people are saying the level design in Colors doesn't feel natural or something, and I loved the level design in this but hated it in Unleashed since it was so... linear, straight paths with only obstacle sections in the way and there wasn't any real chance to explore and I thought the game was alright and fun but not as good as many people said it was and Sonic played like a racecar without any platforming.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most platformers can be finished in a day. It just seems unusual because you're all used to Sonic games being padded out with stupid shit like the Werehog.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most platformers can be finished in a day. It just seems unusual because you're all used to Sonic games being padded out with stupid shit like the Werehog.

This can be Solved? with more Characters? I mean we don't want the game to be too short, but then people would bitch that its not Sonic.

I finished Unleashed in a day too, I'm cool with finishing the story in a day, hell, even in my first session (I got the credits with about 4 hours of gameplay according to my save file - and that was with the occasional mess around in Game Land too).

Having nothing left to do but S-ranks within 3 days though isn't so cool. Unleashed took me like a month at least to finish every mission and I think I had all the S-ranks before I had all the medals.

Given, the medals were much lamer to find in Unleashed, but still.

This can be Solved? with more Characters? I mean we don't want the game to be too short, but then people would bitch that its not Sonic.

So you want additional characters to extend gameplay life, yet medal collecting and the like doesn't accomplish this?

Too short? Well come on folks, it's one character, playing some 42 stages, plus boss acts.

Never mind the S ranking, Medal collecting, the whole "beat the whole game in one sitting" mode, and then the face fraggin awesomeness that happens when you actually do get all the medals.

There's loads of replay value here, but at least you understand why we end up with things like Werehog and Fishing.

• Thumbs Up 1

They always said if there was a Sonic-only game it'd be too short. To be fair they really did pack it with a bunch of alternate paths and secrets.

And I knew this divide was coming a week ago when I was comparing notes with other fans. As I said back then...

Sonic Unleashed=Sonic Rush 3D

Sonic Colors=Sonic 1/CD 3D

The level design is Sonic Unleashed is a LOT like Sonic Rush, the level design in Sonic Colors is a LOT like the original Sonic the Hedgehog and CD. The styles and themes are similar even.

You'll prefer Unleashed if you like more dynamic, high-speed, epic-feeling stages which are based on quick reflexes and the rewarding feeling comes overcoming obstacles that try to kill or slow you down.

You'll prefer Colors if you like exploration, puzzle platforming, mastering a characters moveset to play well, enjoy more stage-specific gimmicks and prefer levels to have 'layers' and alternate paths to discover, with the rewarding feeling coming from playing well to keep up your speed and play well.

I think Colors is the best 3D Sonic game, but I can understand where others are coming from and I've always enjoyed exploring and platforming in Sonic more than speed, speed, speed and reaction time gameplay.

I find it a bit funny because people are saying the level design in Colors doesn't feel natural or something, and I loved the level design in this but hated it in Unleashed since it was so... linear, straight paths with only obstacle sections in the way and there wasn't any real chance to explore and I thought the game was alright and fun but not as good as many people said it was and Sonic played like a racecar without any platforming.

Yasee here, this tells me that I am more with the classics gameplay so this wondertaculous game is what I, Superstarsmasher, love to play most. Unleashed was awesome, but that's pretty much the main thing it had going for it. Probably gonna get lotsa hate for that. Don't get me wrong, I loved Unleashed, but I love the classics a great deal more, (S3K being one of my favorite games of all time.) and this game reminds me of just that.

Edited by Superstarsmasher

Too short? Well come on folks, it's one character, playing some 42 stages, plus boss acts.

Never mind the S ranking, Medal collecting, the whole "beat the whole game in one sitting" mode, and then the face fraggin awesomeness that happens when you actually do get all the medals.

There's loads of replay value here, but at least you understand why we end up with things like Werehog and Fishing.

Actually the 180 medal award...

for all the hoo-haa about it, isn't really that fun. The levels were designed with Wisps in mind, not Super Sonic, and the fact that you can't even use them when you're NOT Super Sonic just basically means every level only lets you take the most basic route through every time. I'd have rather unlocked a boring ole "expert mode" than this.

Also the DAMN LOOPING MUSIC WHY.

Got this earlier today, and I have to say I'm liking it quite a bit. Like others have said, it doesn't have that same feeling I got after playing Unleashed for the first time, but it's definitely fun. I got a bit of work to do tonight, but I'll probably get back to it tomorrow. It's most certainly a quality title thus far though.

Actually the 180 medal award...

for all the hoo-haa about it, isn't really that fun. The levels were designed with Wisps in mind, not Super Sonic, and the fact that you can't even use them when you're NOT Super Sonic just basically means every level only lets you take the most basic route through every time. I'd have rather unlocked a boring ole "expert mode" than this.

Also the DAMN LOOPING MUSIC WHY.

Actually,

I think the one problem with it is that you can't use wisps before you transform. That makes collecting the rings TO transform a bit more challenging. I can understand not stacking Super Sonic on the Wisp powers, since technically Super Sonic IS a wisp power, and you couldn't stack those anyway.

Also I'd argue that the levels were designed for both. Because Super Sonic can't use the wisps, there has to be a way for him to clear the levels without them, else the game becomes unwinnable. However, you did say that you wanted the option to turn off the Wisps, and well, here you are XD

And yeah, I agree on the music. Compared to Sonic Adventure and Sonic 4, Sonic Colors is REALLY weak in that department. Something tells me Sonic Adventure 2 would have been just as bad though.

Edited by Aquaslash

I finished Unleashed in a day too, I'm cool with finishing the story in a day, hell, even in my first session (I got the credits with about 4 hours of gameplay according to my save file - and that was with the occasional mess around in Game Land too).

Having nothing left to do but S-ranks within 3 days though isn't so cool. Unleashed took me like a month at least to finish every mission and I think I had all the S-ranks before I had all the medals.

Given, the medals were much lamer to find in Unleashed, but still.

Perhaps it would have benefited from extra challenges like the DS version had then? I honestly don't mind a platformer that lasts me 3 days (that's a pretty long game when you think about that probably being around 15 hours), but the inclusion of tough challenges like the Chili Dog missions certainly wouldn't hurt.

Personally, I'm kept busy by the Egg Shuttle and the multiple routes. And getting S-ranks. And the simulator. There is A LOT to do, and in my opinion, missions would have just amounted to unneeded crap, like the Werehog. Besides, when's the last time Sonic Team EVER got "extra missions" right? The multiple roots and working towards S ranks feels complete enough, at least for me. Sure, the main story's short, but the game as a whole is far from it.

But after really digging into the game, and spending some time with it, I gotta sorta make an adjustment to my opinion: I LOVE THIS GAME. I really do, they nailed it in more ways than one. The physics, graphics, and music are all amazing, and the gameplay might not have a perfect 2D to 3D ratio, but in a way, it sorta enforces the fact that his game is neither a 2D or 3D experience, but just a seamless blend of the styles that work for this particular title. And as I said before, the content is excellent. Even the story's cheesier moments have grown on me more. The only gripe is it feels like it's missing stuff! In the DS, you get art and music tracks, and each stage has a unique boss! Why didn't the Wii get these things?!?!?!

:( It continues to frustrate me. But that's it, seriously. I've really dug into the game now, and I can't complain about anything else I've found. Hell, some might even complain how the 3D lacks the platforming found in the 2D areas. But honestly, I kinda like that, as it allows the gamer to have that high-speed "feel-like-Sonic" gameplay in Unleashed. In 2D, that never felt right to me though, which is why it goes back to the Genesis basics. It really, and adds variety to the game, and makes each style feel distinct.

Since this title was meant to be part of the Sonic brand's rebirth, I honestly wanna see this game become a mini-series, like the Riders games. Give the HD consoles their own Sonic games, but let Sonic Colors be the "flagship" Sonic series for the remainder of the Wii's lifespan. A sequel where they fix these few gripes, and maybe even add more polish would be... well, epic. Ditch the storybook series SEGA, Sonic Colors is where its at.

Edited by EXshad

I'd much rather have a Sonic game that's short and awesome then a long one padded out with horrible gimmicks. That said, I got the game this morning and I'm already on the last world. However, I've yet to go medal collecting or go for S Ranks. Not to mention I barely know what to do for the Chaos Emeralds. And let's not forget replaying the game just for fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

So you want additional characters to extend gameplay life, yet medal collecting and the like doesn't accomplish this?

Well I never said that. That does a lot to extend the game, but I wouldn't mind having more characters to explore new places with, it worked well with the Wisp, but they're gone so they're going to have to think of a new way to produce replay value.