Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

I love practically everything about Colours. Heck, the only things truly wrong with it in my eyes is reuse of bosses and the fact it ends too fast. The game design is genuinely clever which is something I eat up in Sonic games, level layout and powers that make you think. It's what made me love SatSR and partially is what makes me love Colours. I cleared the game in 4 and a half hours of solid play (According to the time on my save file when I loaded-up after the credits)

The feel of the double jump got some getting used-to as did Pink Spike's stickiness, Green Hover's floatiness, the controls for Cyan Laser and Purple Frenzy's sheer unrulyness. There's few things more satisfying than chomping through everything with a giant freakily hugh-jawed Sonic, seeing the debris fly everywhere whlst watching that score go up and Sonic get bigger and bigger. It's just awesome.

Soundtrack is practically faultless (Though where is the Sound Test!?) and the visuals are breathtaking. It's what Wii Unleashed should've looked like. There's great little touches on Sonic's model animation like his variety of idle animations. He even starts looking distressed if he's running out of air underwater and is standing still. Even the end of level rank affects the animation he displays. I lol'd at the sound effect he makes when guzzling an air bubble underwater, it's a higher pitched version of the MegaDrive sfx for bubble-gulping.

Getting S ranks is MEGA hard. So far i've only accomplished one S-rank and that was in one of Aquatic Park's acts. This game is undoubtedly not going to give you S ranks without some serious skill requirements.

Overall, I love it :D

• Thumbs Up 1

So I got the game today, so far I've completed Tropical Resort, Starlight Carnival, Sweet Mountain & Planet Wisp. I haven't tried the last two worlds yet.

So, the game is nice. Some parts were frustrating, otherwise it's mostly OK. It's not bad, but I'm not particularly having fun playing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I completed the game yesterday with a completion time of around 4 hours, and am now hunting for red rings and S ranking everything. Time to leave my impressions on the Sonic Cycle breaking game, starting with the negatives.

Never have I died so much in a Sonic game. I swear, I got sick of seeing the 'Game Over' screen. The 2D platforming sections take some real getting used to because of Sonic's jumping physics and the distance of the camera. I'd attempt to jump across to a platform and Sonic would go the extra distance and miss it. This was a nightmare on Planet Wisp especially. I've now adapted to this problem by not holding right when jumping, and now release it just after the jump. This may just be me, but it was definitely a pain. As for the camera, I've lost sight of Sonic on numerous occasions.

I felt that the games plot/story was rather disapointing. Sonic didn't really interact with the Wisps other than as power ups, and when things got close to the 'oh shit, now we're in trouble' part of the story, it fell flat on it's face. A part of me was also craving a Super Sonic fight at the end as they always give that feeling of 'we need to stop this now!', but nothing. That's what happens when you've been playing the last 10 years worth of Sonic games lol

Bosses were creative and fun to play, but reusing them for other stages? That just seems lazy and takes away from the overall experience.

To be honest, the game doesn't feel as grand as Unleashed, and with this game being the next big Sonic title, I feel it needed a little more 'Oomph' to it. This was made by the Storybook team, right? Well, to go from Sonic and the Black Knight to this is an amazing accomplishment. I was just expecting something more.

Positives, the game is FUN to play, with Starlight Carnival being my favourite stage. Past games have felt like a chore to get through, but I could play this over and over. The game is actually playable unlike Unleashed, and not once did I feel like the game was on rails. The Wisps are in no way flawed and are really, really fun to use. How many of us can resit shouting the names of the Wisp we are about to use? I know I can't. They add replayability to every act and actually make you want to go back and explore every available area.

The presentation of the game shows that a lot of work has been put in to it, and while not being as graphically impressive as SMG, it's one of the best Wii games available.

The soundtrack is orgasmic. The music tracks bring the stages to life, and nothing can beat the Sonic Simulator versions of them :)

The Sonic Simulator, while looking simple compared to the main game, has kept me and my girlfriend happy for hours. She NEVER plays games, so this must be good. Platforming and speed are what make a Sonic game, and Colours has a nice blend of both. One more big push, Sonic Team. Unleashed epicness combined with Colours gameplay = win.

Two more things I'd like to mention. Did you know that the title screen was controllable? :) and also, was the game rather, shall we say, dull looking for anyone else? The colours seem kinda faded. All of my other Wii games look fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

You people are speeding through this game WAY to quickly! When I get it, I'm gonna take my sweet time with it, like going back to levels when I get a new Wisp.

Okay, I'm stumped.

Just how the hell do you beat the Planet Wisp boss in the DS version? I can hurt him, but he keeps recovering. The game points out some things beneath the floor that he uses to recharge, but I can't seem to damage them. I've tried making him damage them, but that doesn't seem to work.

I can also see rings beneath the floor, but I can't get there.

Anyone got any advice? I'm totally out of ideas. mellow.gif

The game is actually playable unlike Unleashed, and not once did I feel like the game was on rails.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

You people are speeding through this game WAY to quickly! When I get it, I'm gonna take my sweet time with it, like going back to levels when I get a new Wisp.

Okay, I'm stumped.

Just how the hell do you beat the Planet Wisp boss in the DS version? I can hurt him, but he keeps recovering. The game points out some things beneath the floor that he uses to recharge, but I can't seem to damage them. I've tried making him damage them, but that doesn't seem to work.

I can also see rings beneath the floor, but I can't get there.

Anyone got any advice? I'm totally out of ideas. mellow.gif

I was in the same boat, I beat the game in about nine hours but I beat it with a little over 100 Red Rings.

So one theory I had is being confirmed. I liked Colors more than I liked Unleashed but then I really appreciate good level design and platforming, and yes, Colors does have better level design and a lot more platforming than Unleashed, and I did enjoy the game a lot more though in some ways I like Unleashed more I overall liked Colors more.

See what more people think though. Back to my Red Ring guide.

I agree with that, I'm taking my time too, sort of.

I finished the story of Sonic Colors Wii in a bit more than 5 hours. With about 80/180 red rings and no S ranks (that shocked me a bit, hehe). I think I saw two or three game over screens. Not too many and I deserved them. ;)

Now I'm at 140/180 red rings and plenty of S ranks. I combed through Tropical Resort, Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival to get all red rings there. It was a bit tricky at times, but I never got frustrated. On the contrary, I was amazed at some of the alternate paths that I found while looking for them. Replaying the levels with all wisps unlocked really feels different from your first playthrough. I tested some multiplayer Sonic Simulator stages with a friend too. Multiplayer is nice, but not too great. Mainly because you only have two lives each and can kill the other player too easily even if you don't want to. If one player collides with the other while in the air, even if they're not in ball form, one gets stunned and falls down. That's way too sensitive.

I agree with Running Wild that the game didn't feel as grand as Sonic Unleashed (HD). I love that game, even the Werehog parts (well, those that do NOT have me balancing on spiked beams over bottomless pits). But nevertheless Sonic Colors is awesome, it has much better platforming than Unleashed, for example. I'm looking forward to collecting the rest of the red rings (without any help, unless I really get frustrated, but I don't see that happening) and S ranking more acts.

Edited by Korama
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Unleashed did feel grand and epic, I will give it that if nothing else. Sonic Colors is smaller scale, but because of that, SEGA was able to spend more time on the most important aspect of the game: gameplay. Sure, it would have been cool if the game had hubs like Unleashed, filled with NPCs, character interaction, and the like... but unless the release date was pushed back until next year, the gameplay would have suffered from not enough time being put into it.

Sonic Colors can almost be seen as an expansion pack for Unleashed, that comes with its own patch to fix certain issues as well. I don't see it as the next big Sonic game so much as the next Sonic and the Secret Rings.

What? It was a response to someone who posted something before someone cleaned the topic up. :)

No, I mean explain how that is possibly a spoiler. Especially given the insane requirement this time.

Well, this game has grown on me drastically since I unplugged the Nunchuk and started playing with the sideways Wiimote - not only is it much more responsive but everything seems to suddenly slot into place - the way the complicated 3D sections are automated (makes sense if you don't have analog), the way the platforming sections are more grid-based and flat, Mario style, the way the game locks you into quickstep mode for sections rather than giving you a button for it, it suddenly all makes sense. I beat that stupid spring level first go with the sideways remote and it's opened up the other 3 Zones for me to play around in, and, lo and behold, the speed returns too. Well, I'm happy. Much like the old "Sonic Unleashed - if the Werehog starts to suck, hold B" experience in 2008 - if anybody's reading this - play Colours with the sideways remote.

SEGA Mastered 2.5D Game play Experience but Really forgot the 3D Parts.

Sure the 3d parts doesn't play them self and have like 1 or 2 multiple path but they are too short,

I would say its an Excuse for sonic team's frustration to what to do with the 3d parts.

its still the best sonic game in years,

Dusk, I would like to hear your opinion (without spoiler), I am at Star light carnival now, what do you think of both 2.5d and 3d parts, and are their stages with more or 'balanced between 2d' 3d parts i can look forward to?

SEGA Mastered 2.5D Game play Experience but Really forgot the 3D Parts.

Sure the 3d parts doesn't play them self and have like 1 or 2 multiple path but they are too short,

I would say its an Excuse for sonic team's frustration to what to do with the 3d parts.

its still the best sonic game in years,

Dusk, I would like to hear your opinion (without spoiler), I am at Star light carnival now, what do you think of both 2.5d and 3d parts, and are their stages with more or 'balanced between 2d' 3d parts i can look forward to?

Well overall there is more 2.5D parts than 3D, I'd say the divide is about 2/3 2.5D and 1/3 3D, however some stages have more 3D. The later 3D sections are much better in my opinion, there's a few interesting ones in the last three zones in particular, but 2.5D is the star here. The stage with the most 3D I think is Asteroid Coaster but I could be mistaken. Asteroid Coaster in general really felt like a Sonic Adventure 1 stage, it felt like a mixture of Final Egg, Red Mountain, and Twinkle Park all sprinkled into one with maybe a few Eggmanland Wii elements.

However I think my favorite 3D moments were in a few sections of Asteroid Coaster hands down. Aquarium Park had a few good ones (Act 6 of Aquarium Park immediately comes to mind) but Asteroid Coaster had some really cool ones. Also the final stage and final boss are completely in 3D without giving too much away.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Well overall there is more 2.5D parts than 3D, I'd say the divide is about 2/3ds 2.5D and 1/3 3D, however some stages have more 3D. The later 3D sections are much better in my opinion, there's a few interesting ones in the last three zones in particular, but 2.5D is the star here. The stage with the most 3D I think is Asteroid Coaster but I could be mistaken. Asteroid Coaster in general really felt like a Sonic Adventure 1 stage, it felt like a mixture of Final Egg, Red Mountain, and Twinkle Park all sprinkled into one with maybe a few Eggmanland Wii elements.

However I think my favorite 3D moments were in a few sections of Asteroid Coaster hands down. Aquarium Park had a few good ones (Act 6 of Aquarium Park immediately comes to mind) but Asteroid Coaster had some really cool ones. Also the final stage and final boss are completely in 3D without giving too much away.

that makes me feel much better.

at any ways, I never felt any flaws from any 3d section i have encountered. as less as I encountered , i have never felt any of them on rails or any thing.

the platforming is probably the best since sonic 3&k.

sonic team really put their Creativity a lot into the game.

Well, this game has grown on me drastically since I unplugged the Nunchuk and started playing with the sideways Wiimote - not only is it much more responsive but everything seems to suddenly slot into place - the way the complicated 3D sections are automated (makes sense if you don't have analog), the way the platforming sections are more grid-based and flat, Mario style, the way the game locks you into quickstep mode for sections rather than giving you a button for it, it suddenly all makes sense. I beat that stupid spring level first go with the sideways remote and it's opened up the other 3 Zones for me to play around in, and, lo and behold, the speed returns too. Well, I'm happy. Much like the old "Sonic Unleashed - if the Werehog starts to suck, hold B" experience in 2008 - if anybody's reading this - play Colours with the sideways remote.

Dammit, and I was ready to bust this out. >:l

xzibitsoniccolors.png

Honestly though, why the hell would it take you that long to unplug the nunchuck? :l

• Bad Quality Post 2

Dammit, and I was ready to bust this out. >:l

xzibitsoniccolors.png

Honestly though, why the hell would it take you that long to unplug the nunchuck? :l

Some people have different controller preferences. I don't think DistantJ's fault, he can have an opinion. -3-

I've been sticking with Gamecube Controller but interested to try the others out.

Smart move having different controller support. I think I'll be using the good ol' Wii Mote n' nuncuck or Gamecube pad setup.

I don't have a classic controller [pro] sadly.

Some people have different controller preferences. I don't think DistantJ's fault, he can have an opinion. -3-

I've been sticking with Gamecube Controller but interested to try the others out.

He may have preferences but we suggested countless times for him to try a different control option.