Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

WHY? WHY not? You don't like it? or is really long/hard?

Think of challenge mode as going through Sonic 1 with no saves and limited amount of lives.

44 STAGES...plus bosses...shit is hard.

You just encouraged me to do the shuttle lol. *switches on the wii*

Edited by Jwiwo

Think of challenge mode as going through Sonic 1 with no saves and limited amount of lives.

well, i haven't a lot of time because of the school, but i finishi the sweet mountain boos having 18 lifes, and i only lose a important number of lifes when i am haunting the red rings, i think it wont bea problem for me :D

Edited by SuperGuzzi

well, i haven't a lot of time because of the school, but i finishi the sweet mountain boos having 18 lifes, and i only lose a important number of lifes when i am haunting the red rings, i think it wont bea problem for me :D

I beat the game yesterday and got about 100 red rings and here some of my thougts:

Right when I booted up the game, I noticed that the Graphics aren't as great as some people said they are. Yes they are very detailed,but not as vibrant and sharp as Galaxy or Brawl for example. They are one of the best Graphics on the Wii still, but not a 9 IMO. Music is great and fitting but there is not much that I would listen out of context as in comparision to some other Sonic games.Gameplay wise it is definitly a redifned version of Unleashed's Daytime levels. Sonic moves deliberately much slower in 3d in areas when needed, and all the other problems were ironed out.Except for jumping which is still kind of akward. You can work your way around it but it's hard to ignore when you die because of it, when you have to do some real precise jumps on small plattforms.Also camera is sometimes way too zoomed out.

There aren't alot of jaw dropping moments like Unleashed Daytime , this might be to the fact that this is on the Wii, or that the game is 80% 2D. The Game uses very few core elements like mostly lots of Blocks;Switches and Floating plattforms. But the Game switches them up creativly enough to keep keep you engrossed and not being reptetive,also camera prespectives are very dynamic like in Unleashed.So there aren't alot of game changing level-specific mechanics. Wisps enhance the gameplay,they don't feel over or underused and aren't level-specific feeling power-ups either.So the Game feels generally very dense and compact and not too big.That is also because the scenery doesn't change very often. There are only 6 Worlds with many multiple acts that are pretty short at times and chunks of Level Layouts get recycled even.If it would have 12 zones and 3 acts the game would have been alot more grand feeling,not a complaint just a thing that would have made the game better.

It is definitly a great game, with very few fundamental flaws and is the most solid Sonic 3d game yet. However the vibe,the General Out-There Surrealism Atmosphere and the design of the Wisps , I get from it, isn't my Ideal Sonic game,2D or 3D. If Unleashed had only Daytime Levels and had the plattforming and controls of Colors and would be called Sonic World Adventure, or if Heroes and only Team Sonic and the game would play as great as the first few levels, then those would be my Ideal 3d Sonic games.

Gameplay wise it isn't really my ultimate preference either, as I said 3d is well automatic but it's still good...2d was great and all but not my ultimate preference,too many basic blocks,switches and standard plattforms.They don't really have cool little things that Sonic can interact with.

Again, a great Sonic game, but not my Ideal one.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 1

I beat the game yesterday and got about 100 red rings and here some of my thougts:

Right when I booted up the game, I noticed that the Graphics aren't as great as some people said they are. Yes they are very detailed,but not as vibrant and sharp as Galaxy or Brawl for example. They are one of the best Graphics on the Wii still, but not a 9 IMO. Music is great and fitting but there is not much that I would listen out of context as in comparision to some other Sonic games.Gameplay wise it is definitly a redifned version of Unleashed's Daytime levels. Sonic moves deliberately much slower in 3d in areas when needed, and all the other problems were ironed out.Except for jumping which is still kind of akward. You can work your way around it but it's hard to ignore when you die because of it, when you have to do some real precise jumps on small plattforms.Also camera is sometimes way too zoomed out.

There aren't alot of jaw dropping moments like Unleashed Daytime , this might be to the fact that this is on the Wii, or that the game is 80% 2D. The Game uses very few core elements like mostly lots of Blocks;Switches and Floating plattforms. But the Game switches them up creativly enough to keep keep you engrossed and not being reptetive,also camera prespectives are very dynamic like in Unleashed.So there aren't alot of game changing level-specific mechanics. Wisps enhance the gameplay,they don't feel over or underused and aren't level-specific feeling power-ups either.So the Game feels generally very dense and compact and not too big.That is also because the scenery doesn't change very often. There are only 6 Worlds with many multiple acts that are pretty short at times and chunks of Level Layouts get recycled even.If it would have 12 zones and 3 acts the game would have been alot more grand feeling,not a complaint just a thing that would have made the game better.

It is definitly a great game, with very few fundamental flaws and is the most solid Sonic 3d game yet. However the vibe,the General Out-There Surrealism Atmosphere and the design of the Wisps , I get from it, isn't my Ideal Sonic game,2D or 3D. If Unleashed had only Daytime Levels and had the plattforming and controls of Colors and would be called Sonic World Adventure, or if Heroes and only Team Sonic and the game would play as great as the first few levels, then those would be my Ideal 3d Sonic games.

Gameplay wise it isn't really my ultimate preference either, as I said 3d is well automatic but it's still good...2d was great and all but not my ultimate preference,too many basic blocks,switches and standard plattforms.They don't really have cool little things that Sonic can interact with.

Again, a great Sonic game, but not my Ideal one.

Great post! I really appreciated everything you've written here, I felt the same about most of it (though I got less enjoyment out of it than you did, it would seem), especially about the jumping and the whole blocks/platforms thing, and for me the 3D being so automated was a huge disappointment. Really nicely written though, good job!

Oh my god.

I can't believe I didn't point to this sooner. Where has my head been? I mean, it's been one of my biggest peeves about this series since Sonic Adventure 2, and when they finally fix it, I neglect to applaud. Well, let me remedy that.

Losing a life no longer resets your score back to zero, so let me take my hat off, bow to you, dear Sega, and say with outmost feeling ABOUT FUCKING TIME! Didn't you geniuses think at some point that maybe all those complaints about cheap and unfair deaths had something to do with screwing up even once at any point in a level means your score gets flushed and you're guaranteed a rotten rank at the end? Nothing endears a player more than hearing that they suck at the game at end of every level. So you get no points for finally figuring out something that should've been obviuos from the start. About fucking time, people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Losing a life no longer resets your score back to zero, so let me take my hat off, bow to you, dear Sega, and say with outmost feeling ABOUT FUCKING TIME! Didn't you geniuses think at some point that maybe all those complaints about cheap and unfair deaths had something to do with screwing up even once at any point in a level means your score gets flushed and you're guaranteed a rotten rank at the end? Nothing endears a player more than hearing that they suck at the game at end of every level. So you get no points for finally figuring out something that should've been obviuos from the start. About fucking time, people.

Question time...

When you lose a life you start with the same socre you had when you lost it? Or you start with the score you had when you touched the checkpoint?

Oh my god.

I can't believe I didn't point to this sooner. Where has my head been? I mean, it's been one of my biggest peeves about this series since Sonic Adventure 2, and when they finally fix it, I neglect to applaud. Well, let me remedy that.

It has a bit of a twist to it though; the time isn't placed back to your checkpoint regardless of whether you had one or not so if you die to the point where losing the score would have been an issue, you'd lose valuable time bonus. Realized that first at Terminal Velocity. It'd been easier to just restart the level if you die without a checkpoint.

Although something tells me that this was already in Sonic games at some point. Cant recall.

Edited by Carbo

Some Reviewers says the game is hard but their is not enough check points.

some other reviewers says the game is unfairly hard but their is enough check points.

Hmmm...

getting tired of people calling 3D Automated when its not -.-

oh well. their opinions maybe...

Question time...

When you lose a life you start with the same socre you had when you lost it? Or you start with the score you had when you touched the checkpoint?

You start with the score you had when you touched the checkpoint.

That the clock keeps on ticking is completely fair. Beating a level without dying once should have an impact on your rank, which in this case is getting a better time bonus. They totally coulda set the timer back to zero if you died before the first checkpoint, but it seems a minor nitpick now that that atrocious score reset is finally buried. I just hope a future Sonic game doesn't staff a necromancer willing to bring that monstrosity back.

Another good thing is that the Game doesn't throw Extra Lives at you like nothing...

If your good, and can keep getting S-ranks that does happen.

Play Sonic Adventure and let go of the analog stick in any of the exciting 3D parts, notice Sonic stops, if he's on a ceiling or a loop he falls down, if on a slope he slides down it. Then let go of the analog stick in the exciting 3D parts in Colours and watch him continue to run until you hit the next 2D bit.

No Not really. I've played the Demo at least, and that doesn't happen. acutally the only times I can think when the game goes on autopilot are during the airship bosses, and the Moto bug races,

And the final boss

Other than that, you're in full control, unless you go on a speed booster.

Never quite understood 'too many 1ups' being a complaint. I'm not sure what the player gains from seeing the GAME OVER screen more often and having to restart the level from the beginning instead of the checkpoint... Personally I think lives systems should have been thrown out years ago, it's just a side effect left over from the arcades.

Edited by DistantJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never quite understood 'too many 1ups' being a complaint. I'm not sure what the player gains from seeing the GAME OVER screen more often and having to restart the level from the beginning instead of the checkpoint... Personally I think lives systems should have been thrown out years ago, it's just a side effect left over from the arcades.

They're so damn pointless now, its one reason I love the storybook games.

Gotta admit this is the first time I can remember in a Sonic game that I actually got to see the Game Over screen or care that I was running low on lives. I guess what makes such a huge difference is that you don't get extra lives for 100 rings in this one, so the 3-5 hundred rings you're more than likely to grab in certain levels won't fill up your lives.

Well, since Sonic 2 anyway. Sooooo many game overs and continues used to finally beat that game as a kid.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy