Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

Quickie; does the Wii version have the deflicker option? It helps reduce jaggies. The storybook games had it.

I'm glad they got rid of the obvious automation that the previous 3D games had.

...This was my biggest put off in this game... Have you played, like, Starlight Carnival? In that one all of the good parts are bits you just sort of 'watch', pressing (or not pressing) a direction has no effect, all those awesome looking light-paths in the trailers and stuff... They just happen by themselves, and they last quite some time...

Quickie; does the Wii version have the deflicker option? It helps reduce jaggies. The storybook games had it.

Sorry, nope, 'fraid this is as ugly as other Wii games if you have a large HDTV.

Just don't try to use logic here, just don't, it isn't worth it. Anyway, to avoid a argument, I love the platforming in this game, how about you guys? I'm glad they got rid of the obvious automation that the previous 3D games had.

*Forehead slap* are you doing this on purpose? "Logic"? This is about personal tastes and opinions, not 'logic'. Just like the way some people loved Sonic 4 and some people hated it.

Geez, this is like the Sonic 4 topic in reverse.

...This was my biggest put off in this game... Have you played, like, Starlight Carnival? In that one all of the good parts are bits you just sort of 'watch', pressing (or not pressing) a direction has no effect, all those awesome looking light-paths in the trailers and stuff... They just happen by themselves, and they last quite some time...

Those only exist in about two acts, and even then, those acts had a fair bit of platforming in as well. >.>

@Hero

Sadly, no. However, that doesn't stop it from being the best looking Wii game to date. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

So I've been playing the DS version on and off today. Finished the first three zones and their respective missions.

It's not a very good game! It's boring, listless, and not as satisfying to play as the previous Rush titles. Burst is a horrible Wisp power, too - I can't control it worth shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I've been playing the DS version on and off today. Finished the first three zones and their respective missions.

It's not a very good game! It's boring, listless, and not as satisfying to play as the previous Rush titles. Burst is a horrible Wisp power, too - I can't control it worth shit.

Just because you can't control doesn't make it horrible, I had no problem with it in the Demo.

Not sure where to post this so post it into both relevant topics...

Sweet Mountain Zone Act 3 Red Ring Guide. Others coming shortly, but I may stick them in the spoilers and video thread from here on out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure where to post this so post it into both relevant topics...

Sweet Mountain Zone Act 3 Red Ring Guide. Others coming shortly, but I may stick them in the spoilers and video thread from here on out.

Can't you just make a red rings guide topic so your hint vids don't get lost in the shuffle of these ever growing topics?

Speaking as a man who completed the game earlier today, with all chaos emeralds...

This is a very good game, in my opinion. It is neither boring nor listless, and the only way in which it might be construed as not as satisfying as the previous Rush titles is that the trick system was taken away. And the Burst wisp is as simple to use as possible; hold the button to store a charge, and then release to get sent flying in the direction you are holding (exception being that you can't burst downwards).

The game is not without its flaws, of course. The drill wisp is a bit harder to control than I'd like, and bouncing around on walls using it is annoying. The final zone has too many instant death sections. And every cutscene in the game has the same simplistic music track playing behind it.

But the game is simply fun, in the same way that the previous Rush games are. If you enjoyed them, there is no reason not to like this, unless the formula has simply stopped being entertaining for you. The level design in this release feels particularly good, and the various wisp powers compliment them greatly. The music is also phenomenal, even if it is just the Wii tunes with a slight downgrade. The boss battles are intense, the bonus stages present a good challenge, and there is a high amount of replay value to be had.

Your opinion is just as valid as mine, Sean. I just don't see the same flaws you do.

30i9s15.jpg

Just got back home with my copy of the Wii version from Sainsburys. As I expected, they didn't have todays new game releases on the shelf, but the nice staff lady on the entertainment department got a copy out of storage for me :D It's priced at £29.99, but I had a £3 off Sonic Colours Wii or DS coupon and my wife has 15% staff discount at the moment and I'm of course the second name on the card, so I got it for just £22.50. Got Nectar Reward Card points too :D

Will post my thoughts on the game later.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm very interested to see what everyone thinks as well. The only people playing it so far are those who are lucky to have a store nearby breaking street date, pirates, and maybe a few Australians (<3 you guys) but a more people are going to start trying it on these forums and interested to see what they think.

And I agree completely speedduelist, I honestly do not think videos do this game justice. Things I thought looked boring or easy in videos ended up being quite challenging and a lot more fun in execution I found. It's one of those games you need to play for a while to form feelings on. It in my opinion is one of my favorite sonic games ever, it's still below Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I'm still deciding if I like it more or less than Sonic CD, but for better or worse it completely blew the past 3D titles in my opinion. As I said, it reminded me a lot of Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic 1 with some Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure 2 vibes all mashed into one with power-ups, and to be honest I don't think I can go back to my favorite 3D Sonic game, Sonic Adventure, as easily since this game does a better job than it and made Sonic Adventure seem stale.

However this is just my opinion, I am interested to see more people's opinions the next few days and see what the fan verdict on this game is.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Got finished with Tropical Resort before my wife took over the TV and am really enjoying the game so far. I'm using the Classic Controller and the controls do take a little getting used to, but not long. Jumping from platform to platform is my main trouble, as Sonic appears a bit slippy when landing and seems to gain a sudden rise in the middle of jumps (no I'm not reffering to double jumps). Tropical Resort is a lot of fun, well designed and the music is addictive and had me humming throughout. Boosting is fun and you don't get penalised for using it, so you don't feel afraid to use it like in Unleashed. The Cyan Wisp is a little tough to control, as you don't get very long to aim it. Overall, I look forward to playing more. :D

Got finished with Tropical Resort before my wife took over the TV and am really enjoying the game so far. I'm using the Classic Controller and the controls do take a little getting used to, but not long. Jumping from platform to platform is my main trouble, as Sonic appears a bit slippy when landing and seems to gain a sudden rise in the middle of jumps (no I'm not reffering to double jumps). Tropical Resort is a lot of fun, well designed and the music is addictive and had me humming throughout. Boosting is fun and you don't get penalised for using it, so you don't feel afraid to use it like in Unleashed. The Cyan Wisp is a little tough to control, as you don't get very long to aim it. Overall, I look forward to playing more. :D

You'll get more used to it but pro-tip, I didn't figure this out immediately either but you actually have unlimited time to aim the Laser Power, just you have to hold a direction, as long as you're holding a direction you can aim. The minute you let go of that control stick though or let it center and WHAM you're off.

• Thumbs Up 1

You'll get more used to it but pro-tip, I didn't figure this out immediately either but you actually have unlimited time to aim the Laser Power, just you have to hold a direction, as long as you're holding a direction you can aim. The minute you let go of that control stick though or let it center and WHAM you're off.

This is good to hear. I've never really seen anyone take careful aim with the Laser power, and I was kind of worried it would be like this split-second reaction thing.

This is good to hear. I've never really seen anyone take careful aim with the Laser power, and I was kind of worried it would be like this split-second reaction thing.

I am happy too, you can see me precise aiming in the video I posted earlier though as you need to get the angles right for this short puzzle (to get a Red Ring)

Just because you can't control doesn't make it horrible, I had no problem with it in the Demo.

Here we go again. You people need to watch that children's facts vs opinions video. He didn't like it, he didn't say it was horrible, and it's not his fault if he can't get along with the controls. It's not like Sonic 4 where the people who dislike it are going around claiming SEGA to be wrong, trying to get it changed through feedback etc, people are just saying why they don't like it.

Edited by DistantJ

Just got the game today, and have so far played through the first world (zone?). As I said before, the only thing I demand of this game is that it be fun, and it is. This rendition of Sonic does take a few levels to get used to, I will admit, but once I wrapped my head around the idea of Sonic having a double-jump (heaven forfend!), he's surprisingly controllable compared to what some have claimed.

The gameplay is fun, the cutscenes are funny, the music is good, the powers...er, I'm still getting used to those, but overall this is a good game. Thumbs up, says I.