Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Isn't that Eggman's name, though? Julian? Maybe it's an alias. It makes sense if he's trying to get away from his life with his Uncle...also explains why he didn't use the Kintobor surname. I think.

But what about the Iron Queen, and Eggman locking up the real Snively? Or was that whole thing dropped with the whole Universe thing?

Say VEDJ-F, any chance of you poking around Bumbleking forums to find some info on the redesign?

I'm sure info will be divulged in due time. Since I'm already a very regular member on there, I'd be one of the first to be told of it to boot.

Isn't that Eggman's name, though? Julian? Maybe it's an alias. It makes sense if he's trying to get away from his life with his Uncle...also explains why he didn't use the Kintobor surname. I think.

But what about the Iron Queen, and Eggman locking up the real Snively? Or was that whole thing dropped with the whole Universe thing?

With the reboot, I've got to sadly say that we shouldn't expect even a SatAM character like Snively to go without changes. He's lost his trademark single hair mohawk, gained a Robotnik mustache & beard, and is implied to have been working for G.U.N. for some time.

We may have lost Kintobor completely since, I belive, that was a Penders-name (and, I now realize angrily, what he would use for his claim of Robo-Robotnik...), same with Colin. Presumably, giving the Julian name to Snively (as either his new first name or an alias) is a way to keep it, given the Julian-Eggman-Beatles connection. Hell, I consider it a minor miracle that, given SEGA's mandates, we're still getting "Robotnik" to be Eggman's last name! While in my heart of hearts, I hope that Tower was referring to Dr. Julian "Snively" Robotnik, (Dr. Snively), I think we have to accept the possibility that not only is Snively going to be his new last name, but that he might not even BE related to Robotnik at all (with him possibly being just someone who tried to help Robotnik in his quest for world domination in the past).

As for the aftermath of the Scrambled arc, with Snively captured and an auto-automaton secretly under the Iron Queen's control? Expect it to not have happened now unless otherwise stated by Ian or in the book. There might not even have BEEN an Iron Queen in this new world, so Snively wouldn't have tried his coup against Eggman

With the reboot, I've got to sadly say that we shouldn't expect even a SatAM character like Snively to go without changes. He's lost his trademark single hair mohawk, gained a Robotnik mustache & beard, and is implied to have been working for G.U.N. for some time.

We may have lost Kintobor completely since, I belive, that was a Penders-name (and, I now realize angrily, what he would use for his claim of Robo-Robotnik...), same with Colin. Presumably, giving the Julian name to Snively (as either his new first name or an alias) is a way to keep it, given the Julian-Eggman-Beatles connection. Hell, I consider it a minor miracle that, given SEGA's mandates, we're still getting "Robotnik" to be Eggman's last name! While in my heart of hearts, I hope that Tower was referring to Dr. Julian "Snively" Robotnik, (Dr. Snively), I think we have to accept the possibility that not only is Snively going to be his new last name, but that he might not even BE related to Robotnik at all (with him possibly being just someone who tried to help Robotnik in his quest for world domination in the past).

As for the aftermath of the Scrambled arc, with Snively captured and an auto-automaton secretly under the Iron Queen's control? Expect it to not have happened now unless otherwise stated by Ian or in the book. There might not even have BEEN an Iron Queen in this new world, so Snively wouldn't have tried his coup against Eggman

No I don't think Penders made the name 'Kintobor'. That name was used waaaay back in that old origin comics, back when Sonic 1 came out.

No I don't think Penders made the name 'Kintobor'. That name was used waaaay back in that old origin comics, back when Sonic 1 came out.

And STC

You mean that PRE-original Archie miniseries? ...Yep, it's in there. And in StC? Okay.

But I wouldn't put it past Penders or Archie's frightened legal department to do away with Julian Kintobor, even if it's the name of another character than the one who became Robotnik. That's why Naugus can no longer have the title of Ixis and, if the Order of Ixis is ever brought back it'll have to have a different name all together. Or why King Acorn can no longer be called Max.

Julian Kintobor is SatAM IIRC. Or at least Ovi Kintobor is SEGA's. Them stopping using the name is nothing to do with Penders, it's just, you know, last time those names were relevant was in 1998. Refer to a backstory of Eggman that's no longer canon.

Well, it's just that Eggman's always been called "Eggman" in Japan, while overseas he was given the name "Robotnik" until the Adventure series introduced the Eggman name and since then, he's been mostly referred to as "Dr. Eggman" (even SA2, he was almost entirely known as Eggman, yet his grandfather was, at least in English, known as Gerald Robotnik).

You could even interpret the pre-final boss cutscene in Generations to be commentary on the dual name thing "Dr. Robotnik!" "Nobody calls me that anymore".

Given such mandates as the inabilty to use Eggman Nega, the massive delay in bringing in Omega, that the game cast is now no longer allowed to have families (starting with Espio not being allowed to address his mother as such, subtext that "Uncle" Chuck is not strickly related to Sonic, etc) and even that Sonic can't be in a steady relationship (without taking abuse from shippers in consideration), you could easily image SEGA saying "Just call him Eggman. Stop with the Robotnik name now". But they're still using Robotnik, despite the modern games (Generations aside) exclusively refer to him as Eggman.

And since the new continuity seems to be sticking closer to the games, the name Kintobor seems extremely unlikely to return, since the Adventure games made it into a voodoo shark that was never properly explained (Gerald's daughter married a man who's last name just so happened to be their surname backwards? And apparently never noticed or cared?) in the old canon. Basically, even if SEGA still can use Julian Kintobor or Ovi Kintobor, it's unlikely to be used either way.

In the case of the new continuity, I do very well believe that Classic Robotnik was never a Kintobor, given the strangeness of Gerald's last name. Same with Snively, if they're still related.

My theory is that the Doctor is now always have been Ivo Robotnik, with "Julian Kintobor, of the House/Son of Ivo" thing no longer part of the backstory.

As this pertains to Snively, him getting the Julian name instead of Colin Jr (since Colin Sr is likely a concept now gone for good) is much more likely than Julian ever being Eggman's name. His real name was never revealed in SatAM, and thus could be fair game to be changed (was SatAM Snively his first name? Last? Nickname? AFAIK, he was always just called Snively and was Robotnik's nephew, with a full name never being revealed).

However, since this is all going off of ONE page, we have extremely limited information until the comic gets back to him or Ian decides to give some spoilers. Right now, the odds of Snively being a Robotnik, by name or blood, is just as likely as him being a friend/fellow disgruntled scientist who helped Robotnik. Sadly, Snively's goatee is not confirmation that he's still a Robotnik, despite the beginnings of the trademarked family 'stach.

I really wish that, even if it seemed shoehorned in, they'd mention his relationship to Eggman. Something like Tower saying "I need you here to help us clean up your uncle's / 'old friend's' mess."

Espio and his mother was not a mandate thing, that was just a character piece where Espio slightly forgot that he wasn't supposed to let the familial relation slip due to his excitement.

Tails and his mother, though? That was mandated.

Oh really? I thought that since the Chaotix were.... semi-important characters (in Heroes, ShTH, Sonic X, Generations), Espio would've fallen under the "No families" mandate, such as Amy (Rob, even before he was yanked & replaced with Bow Sparrow), Tails (his mom, as you've mentioned), and now Sonic (if the subtext is actually true with Uncle Chuck not being Sonic's real uncle).

If any game character would have kept any family, I would've said it was Mighty since he's more recognized for being in the comic as opposed to the game he was actually in. But since Penders has apparently claimed the "concept" of Mighty having a sister or whatever, she's not coming back apparently.

Espio and his mother was not a mandate thing, that was just a character piece where Espio slightly forgot that he wasn't supposed to let the familial relation slip due to his excitement.

Tails and his mother, though? That was mandated.

It was last minute too. I have the actual page from 236 where he refers to his "M...", it's on a separate strip of paper that was clearly glued on.

Oh really? I thought that since the Chaotix were.... semi-important characters (in Heroes, ShTH, Sonic X, Generations), Espio would've fallen under the "No families" mandate, such as Amy (Rob, even before he was yanked & replaced with Bow Sparrow), Tails (his mom, as you've mentioned), and now Sonic (if the subtext is actually true with Uncle Chuck not being Sonic's real uncle).

Oh, he does. The mandate just didn't exist yet, as Fat Panda's post illustrates.

Bear in mind that SU#16 came out two years before StH#235/236.

Edit: Hey guys, I learnt how to zoom zoom. So have some tweeties that's eerily relevant to the stuff above;

jsnively_zpsbd742492.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, he does. The mandate just didn't exist yet, as Fat Panda's post illustrates.

Bear in mind that SU#16 came out two years before StH#235/236.

Edit: Hey guys, I learnt how to zoom zoom. So have some tweeties that's eerily relevant to the stuff above;

jsnively_zpsbd742492.png

Ah, ok that makes sense, though technicaly doesnt rule out mightys sister since he's been abandoned

However on the other hand, since he is now his own entity, I would say there is still a decent chance of Hope showing up, just only related to snively, not robotnik, however some of the relationship stuff would be interesting to see changed, since its obvious that Julian worked with robotnik at the least, and they still both have that shadow to come out from under

Hmm...is Snivley the same one? remember he survived the first Genesis wave with his memories in tact and he was in an egg container when the second Genesis happened that should've protected him from any memory changing effects.

Perhaps this is a ruse?

Nope, this is the same one. A simple Egg Container wouldn't be enough to shield you from something that can collapse a multiverse. The only reason Sonic and Eggman had their memories off the bat was because they were right at the epicentre of the event, actually being the cause of it.

Well... it looks like my suspicions were right after all. I really friggin hate SEGA sometimes and this is one of those times.

Why give him the goatee which suggests a familial relationship with Robotnik (hair color, style) if he isn't... wait.

"WE can't invent..."?

...No, can't get hopes up through vauge phrasing. Trying to hope for familial relationships being grandfathered in is just going to make me more depressed when it's proven false.

Yet another one of those things where I'd leave it open for interpretation if I could.

Man, how many more are there gonna be?

Man, how many more are there gonna be?

What? changes? because this is going to go on for years.

Well... it looks like my suspicions were right after all. I really friggin hate SEGA sometimes and this is one of those times.

Why give him the goatee which suggests a familial relationship with Robotnik (hair color, style) if he isn't... wait.

"WE can't invent..."?

...No, can't get hopes up through vauge phrasing. Trying to hope for familial relationships being grandfathered in is just going to make me more depressed when it's proven false.

It makes him his own character, though. He won't be living in the shadow of Robotnik anymore and will be his own individual threat. Isn't that better for his character instead of being tied down to a primary character?

What? changes? because this is going to go on for years.

I meant things I'd leave open if it were up to me. Seems I have been thinking of those lately.

The changes don't concern me too much, though I do see what the concerns are about.

That beard is kinda badass, though. He looks like an evil (bald!) Ned Flanders!

Also, the boots he's wearing look totally like Eggman's. Perhaps he is not "officially" a relative but he's been drawn this way as a nod to all the previous comics/SatAM fans for sticking with uit?

I would say that's exactly the case, Mambo. Same reason why Chuck still has his uncle moniker (although this is for all the FFs now) and Sonic still calls him such; they're not officially related, but it's being acknowledged that this occurred in SatAM.

Which is what I've been saying since the beginning.

Or maybe they are still related but it can't be explicitly said, like it was for Tails and Espio's parents. By the way, we also have Eclipse, who isn't a real brother for Shadow but his "brother", they are similiar and share some blood.

Just got StH #259 in the mail today. Good issue as always, but

I was a tad disappointed that Sonic didn't transform into the Werehog in this issue and tear apart Eta. That would have seemed like a good point in the story for him to do so (and the last page of the

Google Books preview really made it seem like that was going to happen next). I guess we'll have to wait just a bit longer for some arm-stretching action.

Just got StH #259 in the mail today. Good issue as always, but

I was a tad disappointed that Sonic didn't transform into the Werehog in this issue and tear apart Eta. That would have seemed like a good point in the story for him to do so (and the last page of the

Google Books preview really made it seem like that was going to happen next). I guess we'll have to wait just a bit longer for some arm-stretching action.

When Sonic finally transforms into the Werehog, it needs to be during the Nighttime or in a very, very dark area that's void of sunlight.

Hopefully, he does it during Waves of Change or sometime afterwards.