Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'm curious how games like free riders and colors happened in this new continuity

I'm curious how games like free riders and colors happened in this new continuity

We know Silver made his appearance like the DS version of colors. So... it's safe to say that what happened was an amalgam of both versions.

Free Riders.... I have no clue what happened before that last race with Metal since the stories for each team seem to contradict each other.

-Ray is around Tails' age post reboot. He's not a child by way of being as old as Sonic and Mighty but being frozen in time by a crystal thing.

Where did the "crystal thing" plot point with Ray stem from? Wasn't that also used when re-introducing him in the old continuity too?

If it followed the games as with most of the other stuff in current continuity wouldn't he be close'ish to Sonic and Mighty's age, following their breakout from Trap Island ala Sega Sonic Arcade which I imagine has happened already ages ago in this new continuity.

Would be interesting to draw more from them knowing each other from an adventure long ago, Mighty and Ray being old buddies of Sonic before he got his little bro Tails to look after.

Would imagine Chaotix has happened too, so I guess Mighty would still know Knux, Espio, Charmy and Vector. Unless they are really pushing the new Chaotix detective stuff to the point where they can't even know each other from said adventure from their younger years.

Will be interesting to see what unfolds when Mighty and Ray show up and who they know and who they don't.

Where did the "crystal thing" plot point with Ray stem from? Wasn't that also used when re-introducing him in the old continuity too?

If it followed the games as with most of the other stuff in current continuity wouldn't he be close'ish to Sonic and Mighty's age, following their breakout from Trap Island ala Sega Sonic Arcade which I imagine has happened already ages ago in this new continuity.

Would be interesting to draw more from them knowing each other from an adventure long ago, Mighty and Ray being old buddies of Sonic before he got his little bro Tails to look after.

Would imagine Chaotix has happened too, so I guess Mighty would still know Knux, Espio, Charmy and Vector. Unless they are really pushing the new Chaotix detective stuff to the point where they can't even know each other from said adventure from their younger years.

Will be interesting to see what unfolds when Mighty and Ray show up and who they know and who they don't.

I do recall it being mentioned from Flynn that Mighty and Ray do know the chaotix, but the relationship is unknown to us at the time

So I have read the entire Shadow Fall arc, and I am happy to say I was impressed with it. Ian did a good job with the arc. I sometimes disliked Shadow appearances within the comics, but the Shadow fall arc just felt like a good Shadow story. Now if part 4 will just be released in print...

So I have read the entire Shadow Fall arc, and I am happy to say I was impressed with it. Ian did a good job with the arc. I sometimes disliked Shadow appearances within the comics, but the Shadow fall arc just felt like a good Shadow story. Now if part 4 will just be released in print...

It's coming this week, according to Diamond.

In other news, the rough draft for Flynn's "Lost Hedgehog Tales" is complete. Guess we'll be seeing that trickle out in a few months.

So um, I got StH#258 and SU#62 in the mail today. And... I really liked the Sonic issue. It seems as if Ian is adding more humour to the series, which I appreciate. I like it when the comic doesn't take itself too seriously like in the pre-reboot world. Professor Pickle is just plain awesome.

As for Universe, I thought it was alright. I don't really have much to say. The final battle wasn't all that satisfying but I am looking forward to The Great Chaos Caper. I'm finally gonna see how Ian writes the Chaotix, so I'm quite excited. Also, Knuckles is back. Hooray!

Ah, and one more thing. I'm glad the "After the Credits" scene is just a small kinda "preview" of things to come as opposed to changing how the arc ends. I was worried it was going to go that way, but if it's just like a small preview I don't mind alternate "endings" as they call them. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I do recall it being mentioned from Flynn that Mighty and Ray do know the chaotix, but the relationship is unknown to us at the time

Yeah, I just think its odd that they are staying away from quite a lot of old writer content and stuff the Penderman as well as others could potentially sue for saying they came up with the idea etc, like Mighty having a sister for example.

Yet they are going to continue with the Ray being found clinging to a "power gem" crystal thing that stopped him aging and he's a kid like Tails etc.

The story where Ray got rescued was in Knuckles #28 a backup story called "Below the Belt" where Ray was discovered hanging onto the crystal, trapped in a time-warped pocket zone thing by Mighty, Fiona and Nic the Weasel. The story was credited as written by Penders and the whole "power stone" thing isn't a Sega Sonic backstory for him. I can't recall what issue he got trapped in, but I'm pretty positive it wasn't one of Ian's and was during Penders reign of terror.

I'm just taken back a little that they are atill gunna use it considering I thought they were staying as far from Penders character contributions as possible.

Yeah, I just think its odd that they are staying away from quite a lot of old writer content and stuff the Penderman as well as others could potentially sue for saying they came up with the idea etc, like Mighty having a sister for example.

Yet they are going to continue with the Ray being found clinging to a "power gem" crystal thing that stopped him aging and he's a kid like Tails etc.

The story where Ray got rescued was in Knuckles #28 a backup story called "Below the Belt" where Ray was discovered hanging onto the crystal, trapped in a time-warped pocket zone thing by Mighty, Fiona and Nic the Weasel. The story was credited as written by Penders and the whole "power stone" thing isn't a Sega Sonic backstory for him. I can't recall what issue he got trapped in, but I'm pretty positive it wasn't one of Ian's and was during Penders reign of terror.

I'm just taken back a little that they are atill gunna use it considering I thought they were staying as far from Penders character contributions as possible.

I don't think the old back story written will be relevant. I think VEDJ-F meant that he's naturally a kid as opposed how he was trapped in a pocket dimension and didn't age.

The back up story you mentioned that introduced Ray was the same story he was shown to be trapped. Before that he was never mentioned. He might have been added in response to fan demand, but I can't say anything about that with certainty.

For one of Penders's stories leading into the Adventure era, that one was still pretty decent from what I remember, but then it was backing up "The First Date" stories in the Knuckles book, so that's not saying much I suppose.

It's coming this week, according to Diamond.

In other news, the rough draft for Flynn's "Lost Hedgehog Tales" is complete. Guess we'll be seeing that trickle out in a few months.

WOOO!

Finally! Some closure! Now I can feel better about this new direction.

To back up an earlier statement, SU#62 is out on Wednesday. I contacted the comic shop I go to.

That's three weeks behind it's digital release. Better late than never.

I don't think the old back story written will be relevant. I think VEDJ-F meant that he's naturally a kid as opposed how he was trapped in a pocket dimension and didn't age.

The back up story you mentioned that introduced Ray was the same story he was shown to be trapped. Before that he was never mentioned. He might have been added in response to fan demand, but I can't say anything about that with certainty.

For one of Penders's stories leading into the Adventure era, that one was still pretty decent from what I remember, but then it was backing up "The First Date" stories in the Knuckles book, so that's not saying much I suppose.

HA! I feel so silly now, I didn't read the "not" in VEDJ-F's post, my bad. Kinda odd he's now a kid tho, and naturally too...I guess they aren't using Sega Sonic Arcade as a cannon has happened story. Otherwise Ray would be around Sonic and Mighty's age wouldn't he? Did Sega even have any concrete info on Ray tho? Pretty sure Arcade had next to no info with it apart from the very lose story plot.

Guess it really will draw parallels between Sonic and Tails with Mighty and Ray tho. Still sounds interesting even if they are kinda ignoring the Trap Island adventure from the only game Ray was in properly.

HA! I feel so silly now, I didn't read the "not" in VEDJ-F's post, my bad. Kinda odd he's now a kid tho, and naturally too...I guess they aren't using Sega Sonic Arcade as a cannon has happened story. Otherwise Ray would be around Sonic and Mighty's age wouldn't he? Did Sega even have any concrete info on Ray tho? Pretty sure Arcade had next to no info with it apart from the very lose story plot.

Guess it really will draw parallels between Sonic and Tails with Mighty and Ray tho. Still sounds interesting even if they are kinda ignoring the Trap Island adventure from the only game Ray was in properly.

Not nessecarily, if he is tails age, he could have still been imprisoned with them, just younger, and he proably would have been a stronger motivation for them to escape to help this really little kid, but Sonic wasnt up to the challenge of taking care of him, and left him with mighty, further influencing his later bond with Tails

Not nessecarily, if he is tails age, he could have still been imprisoned with them, just younger, and he proably would have been a stronger motivation for them to escape to help this really little kid, but Sonic wasnt up to the challenge of taking care of him, and left him with mighty, further influencing his later bond with Tails

Spose he could have been younger, he does come off as a bit younger in his game animations and his voice is a lot higher and kiddie'ish.

Ack talking about it makes me wanna go home and play it again now. Wish they would give it a re-release some time and make it a bit more mainstream. It does mark the first time Sonic spoke in game yeah? Since it came before Sonic CD and its "yes!" and "I'm outa here".

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell, the crystal backstory was barely there to begin with before. Expect backstories to change for certain characters. I think Ian's already confirmed that Nicole isn't from the future anymore. Hell, apparently even Robotnik himself underwent some change too, if there isn't going to be any Great War anymore (assuming this, since Overlanders don't exist anymore and humans seem chill, it's doubtful one happened in the first place).

Ray just being younger with no "lost in a Zone with a magic crystal" baggage is just one less continuity headache, even if it doesn't mach up with his game perfectly.

As a sidenote, a question: the first installment of Sonic Origins is coming out on FCBD, first Saturday of May, right? Then more installments in the Super Special mag?

Honestly, the crystal backstory can easily zoom over people's heads without them remembering about it unless they were really looking that far back into the series. Because beyond that, it doesn't make much of a impact afterwards. Although I'm speaking just for myself here, as I barely remembered it until you guys brought it back up.

But whether it does or doesn't come back, it's no big deal to me.

Honestly, the crystal backstory can easily zoom over people's heads without them remembering about it unless they were really looking that far back into the series. Because beyond that, it doesn't make much of a impact afterwards. Although I'm speaking just for myself here, as I barely remembered it until you guys brought it back up.

But whether it does or doesn't come back, it's no big deal to me.

It was more of a tidbit, than anything else. It's briefly referenced in "The Chaotix Quest" when Ray is lecturing Matilda for not acknowledging Mighty, but even then that was just to say "Mighty never forgot about me! He wouldn't forget you, either!" rather than to bring Ray's backstory into focus. While part of me wouldn't be too surprised if Flynn wanted to do something with that crystal in the future (just going off of his track record of bringing back old shit the other writers created and didn't do anything with), Ray was never a major character and was just "there" for so long that I doubt we'd ever see some payoff for it. If it's gone, it's not a huge loss (especially considering what was lost in the purge) since it hardly mattered after his debut.

Speaking of Ray and Mighty, I hope their designs from "The Chaotix Quest" stick; they look just right for a modern SEGA!Sonic take on them, personally. And they match the sort of accessorizing the rest of the Chaotix crew got in their updates, without feeling busy or out of place.

Hell, the crystal backstory was barely there to begin with before. Expect backstories to change for certain characters. I think Ian's already confirmed that Nicole isn't from the future anymore. Hell, apparently even Robotnik himself underwent some change too, if there isn't going to be any Great War anymore (assuming this, since Overlanders don't exist anymore and humans seem chill, it's doubtful one happened in the first place).

I'm really curious to see how Eggman's history was altered in the Super Genesis Wave. We do see a (presumably) younger Eggman striking a deal with the new King Max much like the original Robotnik did when he was rising to power, so some things may very well be the same from the old continuity (Sonic says that some things happened differently than he remembered, I think), it'll likely just dance around certain things like the Great War or anything else like that just to put the focus on how Eggman betrayed the kingdom or something.

Maybe the war will be more akin to the SatAM series, with Eggman moving in, getting friendly with King Acorn, then double crossing him and taking over the anthro lands while using his technology and bots etc to oppress the humans too. Tho it seems he's more, I dunno, almost Adventures of, or Sonic X'ish as far as his takeover is going as Station Square and what little we have seen of the anthro areas seem either harassed by him or only having outposts guarded by Egg Bosses nearby. Doesn't really seem like the almost complete and everyone's pretty oppressed and in hiding takeover of SatAM. It's almost like he's gone a bit two steps back in the new world, isn't as close to winning as he was.

Well, SatAM also had a Great War, but it was fought between Mobotropolis and some other Mobian group.

As for how wide Robotnik's rule was, this is another reason I want to see Origins. One of the big problems from the old continuity was due to how the series went along into the Adventure era as opposed to the SatAM era: the human and Overlander cities were advanced enough to have at least been a threat to Robotnik early on (leaving how useless the Echidnas were in this regard out). Unless Robotnik had MASSIVE hoards of Badniks and Robots STARTING out which led to mass disorganization in resistance, and/or he did a mass technology shutdown against WMDs, Sonic and his friends shouldn't have been the biggest threat against Robotnik's empire.

Just got an email from my local saying that Sonic Universe #62 and Megaman #35 are out and ready for pick up in New Zealand. So I too can say they have arrived in print format, and in the overseas market too, so everyone should pretty much be able to get it now. Better late than never in Universes case. Hope Chaotix Quest doesn't take ages to arrive, really looking forward to that one.

Just got an email from my local saying that Sonic Universe #62 and Megaman #35 are out and ready for pick up. So I too can say they have arrived in print format. Better late than never in Universes case. Hope Chaotix Quest doesn't take ages to arrive, really looking forward to that one.

You've been waiting over a year for Chaotix Quest? Sheesh, everyone else is about to get into The Great Chaos Caper.

:P

You've been waiting over a year for Chaotix Quest? Sheesh, everyone else is about to get into The Great Chaos Caper.

:P

Hahahaha you got me Miss Smarty Pants! Must be looking forward to it a bit too much and my heads frazzled :P

MmMm Nack and Hooligan goodness!

Oohhh.... So happy he's back. Does he still look like himself or did he get a redesign too?

Have to check this out after class.