Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Weird, I don't think he should be an Eggman clone though. But at least, that should confirm they are still related (yeah I like families when they are not spammed everywhere).

Actually, Ian confirmed on Twitter that they're no longer related.

EDIT: Darn it! Ninja'd!

Not sure if spoiling is an absolute necessity since I rarely ever post in this thread, but will anyway.

I hope (and given Sniv's evil look, it seems likely) that he's still a weasel in this continuity. It's going to be a lot more entertaining to watch him try to take over GUN than Eggman Empire. We can see him betray the Commander than Eggman. I mean, I like Snivley being that type of guy, but Eggman has been betrayed way too many times. It'd be nice to see some other factions get the backhand a little.

• Thumbs Up 5

When Sonic finally transforms into the Werehog, it needs to be during the Nighttime or in a very, very dark area that's void of sunlight.

Hopefully, he does it during Waves of Change or sometime afterwards.

D'oh... I completely forgot about the nighttime thing. I haven't played Unleashed in years and I guess his near-transformations in the past few issues led me to think that it could happen at any time.

I agree, though.

Well, I finally got Sonic The Hedgehog #259 (The Chase part 2) in the mail... 

Story Thoughts 

I really did like how things continued in this issue. I felt somewhat satisfied with how the fight with E-106 Eta went down. While it might be a bummer for some to have not seen Sonic turn into Werehog and rip E-106 Eta apart, I actually didn't mind since I got to see Amy get in on the action. Also, I think it's best that Sonic didn't turn into Werehog and destroy E-106 Eta since I personally wouldn't mind seeing E-106 Eta again in the future. The team thankfully ended up rescuing Professor Pickle and Uncle Chuck, and we were treated to Professor Pickle talking about the Gaia Manuscripts. I noticed on the page where he's talking about the manuscripts, Angel Island is actually present along with Chip! Uncle Chuck still wondering if Sonic was okay was nice to see, but Sonic just continues to say everything is okay... Really can't wait to see Sally and the others reactions to seeing Sonic turn into the Werehog. Going to be quite a moment! 

I really did overall like "The Chase" arc. While it was a small one (wasn't a big 4 part arc like the upcoming "Waves of Change" arc), it still at least provided us with some new information to help advance the story, awesome action, and awesome teamwork. Though, I really do think the best thing in this little arc was the teamwork between the Freedom Fighters. Yeah, the comedy in the two issues were pretty great, and even the overall action, but it was just nice to see everyone working together and whatnot.

As for the after credits moment... Nice to see Axel again and I hope to see him in action soon. I really think he's going to become one of my favorite new/original characters in this new world...

Favorite Moments

SonicandAmy.jpg

20140418_215405.jpg

20140418_215228.jpg

HappyHedgehog.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually quite glad Eta wasn't destroyed. It'll be nice seeing an Adventure-styled E-Series robot stick around, especially as a power hitter for the Empire.

Now, if only Metal Sonic can get toughen up and get out destroyed in a one-issue battle curse...

Don't have to worry about that.

SEGA told Archie to cut it out with the multiple Metal Sonics. So the one beaten in Countdown to Chaos is now the one and only who will eventually get rebuilt.

Assuming the very real possibility that Shard is out of canon. If Snively can't even be related to Eggman, then I just... yeah, still pissed at SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually quite glad Eta wasn't destroyed. It'll be nice seeing an Adventure-styled E-Series robot stick around, especially as a power hitter for the Empire.

Now, if only Metal Sonic can get toughen up and get out destroyed in a one-issue battle curse...

He'd be rebuilt anyway, you know that, it happens all the time with Metal and Sliver Sonic.

I don't know what happened to the tough Metal Sonic from SU#50, I like him being strong.

That Metal Sonic blew up, too. I think you mean the Worlds Collide one, where he stayed completely intact despite the (awesome) beating he took.

At least in 256 he wasn't completely destroyed. That's something...I guess.

SEGA told Archie to cut it out with the multiple Metal Sonics. So the one beaten in Countdown to Chaos is now the one and only who will eventually get rebuilt.

Assuming the very real possibility that Shard is out of canon. If Snively can't even be related to Eggman, then I just... yeah, still pissed at SEGA.

I remember Ian saying nothing was said about Shard, just that he's not to be referred to as Metal Sonic since it would confuse newcomers. He mentioned something about him possibly appearing in the future if they ever had a plan for him.

Now, where I can find that quote...I don't know, I'm sure it was on his twitter somewhere.

That Metal Sonic blew up, too. I think you mean the Worlds Collide one, where he stayed completely intact despite the (awesome) beating he took.

At least in 256 he wasn't completely destroyed. That's something...I guess.

Nope, Metal Sonic didn't blow up in SU #50, actually he pretty much ruled the fight.

So, what's that spell for Captain Metal? Or was he considered enough of a different character to sidestep that rule? If so, doesn't that mean Shard could get a new backstory so he doesn't start life as a Metal Sonic that turned good? Well, I guess since Capt. Metal's old body got destroyed and he was fused with the Wily Egg/Egg O' War at the end of "Pirate Plunder Panic" he's no longer a Metal Sonic...

Also, Snively is no longer related to Eggman...? Fuck, why did I read these before I got my issues? Oh well, I suppose it's not that big of a deal. I'm still more mad at... you know who for being the root cause of all that's happened. SEGA's interventions, while somewhat annoying and often perplexing, don't bother me that much in comparison.

Captain Metal was so radically altered that he no longer counted. Yardley has said this himself, actually.

And yes, that does mean that Shard can also get a radical alteration to change and not count, which is why he's still on the cards. Then again, he was already altered so he didn't get the axe that he was threatened with, so it's arguably not even necessary. It's likely, but still.

• Thumbs Up 3

What do you bet it's only a matter of time before SEGA tightens their noose even more and demands that the comic only uses stuff from the games and nothing else?

What do you bet it's only a matter of time before SEGA tightens their noose even more and demands that the comic only uses stuff from the games and nothing else?

If they haven't done that already, and the reboot was the perfect time to do so (and that includes axing Sally and the rest of them for good), I don't think they'll be pulling that trigger any time soon. Is SEGA's leash on Archie shorter than it ever was? Yes. But I don't think they'll erase it completely. If they really wanted to, they could've ordered Archie to purge everything and stick to the SEGA canon only, and start back from #1, but instead, they decided that aspects of the old continuity were worth keeping around. At worst, longtime Archie fans lost characters that only we gave a shit about in the purge. The rest (specifically the SatAM characters) are still somewhat recognizable since they existed prior to the comic and have a certain nostalgic appeal to people who grew up with Sonic but likely lost touch with it, and it's helped that book managed to keep them relevant for 20 years when they could've been phased out one by one since "End Game."

Captain Metal was so radically altered that he no longer counted. Yardley has said this himself, actually.

And yes, that does mean that Shard can also get a radical alteration to change and not count, which is why he's still on the cards. Then again, he was already altered so he didn't get the axe that he was threatened with, so it's arguably not even necessary. It's likely, but still.

Ah, makes sense. I wouldn't mind if Shard showed up with a new backstory... though I suppose he wouldn't really be "Shard" anymore since the Power Gems don't exist. I wouldn't mind if he was pulled together from the Silver Sonic that got scrapped in #253 or they make way for the S3&K Mecha-Sonic (which was locked away in Eggman's base in SA1) that way, personally. But I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Good to know there's always a chance he could return, though.

Sorry, Zay. Didn't mean to break to the bad news to you like that.

I suppose I should just get my stance on this all out of the way.

I

AM glad they brought Snively back, don't get me wrong. And I'm glad that, for the most part, he still looks like himself (even if the beard & hair color is a terrible tease to a familiar connection to Eggman that isn't). I could have been fine if, with his name now being Julian Snively (instead of Colin Kintobor Jr/Snively Robotnik), he was still Eggman's nephew, in blood if not name. But Ian's pretty much said he's now just some guy who had helped Robotnik in the past.

And... that does bother me more than quite a bit. I'm not going to say that Snively was ever my favorite character (because he isn't/wasn't), but I did get a bit of respect for him, especially under Ian's pen. I enjoyed the tragedy of his character: how despite his intelligence he'll never be as good as his uncle, his self interest destroying any trust he had with the Freedom Fighters or Hope, and (as Eggman in the Scrambled arc put it) even on his A-Game he lost badly against his uncle, let alone Sonic or his friends.

SEGA's stance on the book is never ending frustration for me. They left a lot of slack for the two writers who should have been more supervised, and constantly yank the leash on the one writer who deserves a bit more freedom, even before the reboot. I have no idea if it's all of SEGA or just Sonic Team who's responsible, but I have no idea why they thought changing their minds about past greenlighted ideas (game characters can have families in the books, etc) nowadays, after two decades of them being in effect. Hell, you can't even blame Penders for Snively & Chuck, he had nothing to do with their creation.

And, yes, Snively's only been on ONE page in the variant edition of ONE issue, but so much has changed that you can't even depend on the past backstory for him, unlike Sonic or Eggman. There are so many questions about him that aren't going to be answered for quite some time, probably not until after the Unleashed adaptaion is completely over (which might be a year from now, seeing as Ian & Archie are probably going to try to show off much of the new world as possible). And the Origins stories are, more likely than not, not going to provide adequete answers for the new backstory, given each one is about five-ten pages and there are (to my knowledge) only three planned (one for FCBD, two in the Super Special). So we'll probably only get a few chunks of backstory out and have a huge freaking gap between then & now.

As time goes on, I know I'll get over it, but until then, I'll stew over how unnecessary this particular change is.

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA's stance on the book is never ending frustration for me. They left a lot of slack for the two writers who should have been more supervised, and constantly yank the leash on the one writer who deserves a bit more freedom, even before the reboot.

To be fair, however, the former could be exactly why they're cracking down on what's acceptable for the comic or not. Letting those writers run amok and write whatever they want is exactly why we're currently having this legal mess to deal with.

Ah, makes sense. I wouldn't mind if Shard showed up with a new backstory... though I suppose he wouldn't really be "Shard" anymore since the Power Gems don't exist. I wouldn't mind if he was pulled together from the Silver Sonic that got scrapped in #253 or they make way for the S3&K Mecha-Sonic (which was locked away in Eggman's base in SA1) that way, personally. But I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Good to know there's always a chance he could return, though.

Wasn't his power gem destroyed in SU? I really love Shard, so I really hope he returns, along with the other SFF... (rip Elias though)

What about a chaos emerald, though? 

Maybe instead of "Shard" his name will be "Jack".

I wouldn't expect any of the SFF to come back. Of all of them, Larry Lynx (created by Angelo) and maybe Shard (based on Metal Sonic, reworked by Ian) would be the only ones with the slightest bit of a chance to come back (and that's not much).

Harvey Who, Leeta & Lyco (along with all of the non-Lupe Wolf Pack Members), and of course Elias were all at least co-created by Penders. angry.png

The only member who will undoubtedly come back is Silver, and even then, he's never going to have been a SFF.

Sorry, Zay. Didn't mean to break to the bad news to you like that.

It's all good. I was following the conversation regarding Metal Sonics from the bottom up, so I checked the tags to see if there was mention before I jumped in. It's more my mistake than anything else.

Wasn't his power gem destroyed in SU? I really love Shard, so I really hope he returns, along with the other SFF... (rip Elias though)

What about a chaos emerald, though? 

Maybe instead of "Shard" his name will be "Jack".

I thought his core was only damaged whereas Metal Sonic's was destroyed. Whether or not Shard "died" is up in the air at this point. I like to think he might've survived the battle had the old continuity returned, so we'll have to wait for Flynn's "Lost Hedgehog Tales" to get some closure regarding that.

I also want Shard back since he was actually pretty fun (his introductory story as Metal Sonic 2.5 in #86-87 is actually one of my favorite stories of the "Adventure" era, and that era was when the book took a downward spiral otherwise). The only question now is if the Shard concept itself is off-limits or not (#86-87 were written by David Fingeroth and Shard is a direct extension of that idea despite starting life as Metal Sonic--same reason Scourge is off-limits even though he was just a Sonic clone in a leather jacket before Flynn retooled him to be more than an "evil Sonic on an evil Mobius").

I wouldn't expect any of the SFF to come back. Of all of them, Larry Lynx (created by Angelo) and maybe Shard (based on Metal Sonic, reworked by Ian) would be the only ones with the slightest bit of a chance to come back (and that's not much).

Really? Larry Lynx? I would've thought Angelo DeCesare's work would be off-limits simply because he was an old character by a former creator that's no longer associated with Archie? I wouldn't mind seeing him again, honestly, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. Not after Scourge was wiped out.

Sorry. Don't get me wrong. What I pointed out was that, excluding Shard & Silver, Larry was the only non-Penders SFF, so there is at least a possibility of hope he could come back if Archie ever does talk to Angelo.

But even then, that possibility ain't much. It's not the snowball's chance in hell that the Penders characters have, but it's not that high above it either.

The Yardley stream is pretty entertaining so far.

Only 'new' thing is verifying that the memory thing ultimately won't matter, probably.

Hopefully the memories will get a plot point later on, I mean all their memories can't be off limits to be refferenced right?

Not off limits, but they're not too useful given that it's a fresh start. They're already reapidly fading so I expect them to be completely gone soon.

Stream tidbits: Tracy's fave characters are Tails and Bunnie, and least fave is Knuckles.

Not off limits, but they're not too useful given that it's a fresh start. They're already reapidly fading so I expect them to be completely gone soon.

Stream tidbits: Tracy's fave characters are Tails and Bunnie, and least fave is Knuckles.

Aww. :(

one can only Ponder why he would not like that certain Echinida Nor Do i think anyone is Egearly awaiting what his Response iS

• Thumbs Up 4