Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Very little thing; Ian and Tracy talked about the process of story writing when different writers are doing things at the same time. The Babylon Rogues and BBA came up because Yardley wrote Babylon Rising. Ian said that he hadn't thought of Speedy being something of a protege for Jet, and that he hopes to keep that dynamic because because he thinks its fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's just so nice & refreshing when the creatives in the Sonic books actually get along with each other and work off the others' stories.

You know, unlike what happened with the Two K's.

I liked the idea that Bean was once a member too, another outcast. Giving the unused game characters even more purpose by linking them with current stuff like the Rogues in this example, while still having them be a part of the old, in this case the Battle Bird Armada, was genius. Thanks to whomever takes credit for that one!

Speaking of, wasn't there plans to expand on Barks character in a Universe or side story arc? Something Ian brought up not long ago. I wonder if that's been scrapped with all that's gone on. I know he's a safe character and all, but those plans may be on the backburner now what with having to settle into the "new universe" and with the current arc gaining momentum and already heading into the "Waves of Change" stuff.

I would still like to know Archie's take on the guy, especially when I thought they spun Bean a good past and link with other characters as stated above. Will be interesting to see Nack's new backstory too, minus the sister and extended family since they were Penders yeah? If they follow the tidbits from the manuals, is he from the special zone? Dimensional breakdown can't have been too kind on him.

I'm finding the new universe pretty exciting just seeing what they do with our game cast and old characters and that's not even including the new stuff. Loving the ride so far!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, that does remind me of something I missed; Tracy confirmed that the mandates were upheld more stringently from around the end of Genesis onwards.

It totally does make sense. I only really noticed things from #235, so I apparently picked up on it six months late.

Yeah cause post genesis that when all the mandates things where noticeable heck I don't even think during the scrambled arc snively wasn't referred to as eggman's nefew and I don't think his last name was shown

Does anyone know the specific mandates? 

Also, I really like to see Ian and Tracy get along like that...it gives me a sense of relief after the whole Pender's thing, but that's off-topic.

I hope they bring back Bark and Bean, too! I really liked them- same with Mighty and Ray. I mean, after so long it just wouldn't be the Chaotix without them. 

As for Bark and Bean, I'd miss the explosions...

Mandates we know;

-No family for active SegaSonic characters (ie if they're used in current merchandising).

-No Penders characters. Other writers and Ian characters formed from other writer concepts appear to also have the same brush.

-Sonic can't cry excessively.

-Sonic can't go steady with anyone.

-Sonic must 'win' (the definition of that is really wonky though).

-The planet is not named Mobius.

-The Chaotix is just Vector, Espio and Charmy (at least, it sounds like that's a mandate). That doesn't mean Mighty and Ray are gone, they're just not Chaotix members.

-Some additional rules on Shadow that forced Omega to be used instead in SU#38.

-Some other things that I've likely missed.

As for Bean and Bark...they've already appeared in Pirate Plunder Panic, and will be back in the next SU arc, there's really no concerns over them.

• Thumbs Up 7

There can only be one Metal Sonic.

Pre-reboot, they had to re-retcon Shards original name back to "Mecha Sonic" because Sega didn't like the implication of two "Metal" Sonic's co-existing. They took this a step further post-reboot by removing the whole "one Metal gets destroyed, a new model takes it's place" thing. Captain Metal can get around it since he's basically become his own character now, though the fact that he was originally a Metal Sonic can only be expressed in vague terms.

Characters from other canon's that aren't SEGA sonic and Adventures and SatAM can't be used

Certain SEGA sonic characters like Nega can't be used although this might have changed since gmerl was mentioned in STH 258.

Artist arent allowed to make any cameos from other SEGA franchises such as NiGHTS, Skies of Arcadia and Super Monkey Ball etc(granted this part could be a lie)

Never heard that last one before, where'd you hear that?

Also, Sega characters that can't be used:

-Eggman Nega

-Mephiles (and probably Iblis and Solaris by extension)

-Metal Overlord

-Shade, the Nocturnus Clan, etc.

That's all I can remember.

The last one was through a 4chan discussion. I don't think they're so much outright banned as heavily discouraged.

There's a nuance there somewhere, I swear.

And the Chaotix must be detectives, not Knuckles' group of Freedom Fighters, which I agree. Though I hope they bring back Knuckles and Vector's friendship that was hinted at in the Mario & Sonic series.

The no cameos part has been repeated often for years, even on Bumbleking which is where I first remember seeing it. The nuance is whether the cameos are caught or not, or whether SEGA approves them. IIRC there's to be no StC cameos but Blockhead Bill sneaked in, and there's to be no Sonic X cameos but Ben Bates had the Hobidon appear.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mandates we know;

-No family for active SegaSonic characters (ie if they're used in current merchandising).

-No Penders characters. Other writers and Ian characters formed from other writer concepts appear to also have the same brush.

-The Chaotix is just Vector, Espio and Charmy (at least, it sounds like that's a mandate). That doesn't mean Mighty and Ray are gone, they're just not Chaotix members.

As for Bean and Bark...they've already appeared in Pirate Plunder Panic, and will be back in the next SU arc, there's really no concerns over them.

Huh, I hadn't realized that Omega was swapped in for Shadow. Out of curiosity, do you know any specifics about those other rules? I'm wondering what they are that caused the two to be switched.

I remember that Tommy-ADAM was originally supposed to have been killed by Omega, but SEGA nixed it so Ian used the Egg Fleet.

They also only allow Eggman to have an outright victory over Sonic only if he's defeated within two issues. That's why 175-177 was as shoet as it was.

They also had some serious problems with the Black Arms, and even today Black Doom can only be shown in flashback.

I think that mandate is similar to "Sonic must win", but with Shadow instead.

Because if you remember, the plot to SU#38 was that Snively was in Overlander territory, so G.U.N forces and one of team Dark were sent to apprehend Eggman who came in to follow, only for them to be curbstomped by Metal Sonic/Mecha Sally. I think I remember Ian saying that SEGA didn't want Shadow in the situation where he was on the losing end of a curbstomp battle like that, even if it was ultimately insignificant to the story in the long run.

Some of these rules are really stupid if you ask me. What's so bad about references to other continuities? And why does Sonic have to win all the time? SEGA's mandates are pretty much the reason we can't have nice things...

Mandates we know;

I recall hearing a couple more, but I can't for the life of me remember where they came from (I'm 95% sure Ian himself said these somewhere):

-Amy can't fall in love with anyone but Sonic.

-The "no steady relationship" rule above extends to all SEGA!Characters.

-Eggman can never be permanently defeated; other villains can steal the spotlight for a while, but he must always be the primary antagonist.

-Metal Sonic's personality and dialogue must be kept to a minimum.

I think that mandate is similar to "Sonic must win", but with Shadow instead.

Because if you remember, the plot to SU#38 was that Snively was in Overlander territory, so G.U.N forces and one of team Dark were sent to apprehend Eggman who came in to follow, only for them to be curbstomped by Metal Sonic/Mecha Sally. I think I remember Ian saying that SEGA didn't want Shadow in the situation where he was on the losing end of a curbstomp battle like that, even if it was ultimately insignificant to the story in the long run.

Ah, that's a shame. Makes some sense, but I can't help but wonder how Shadow would handle the situation, as he'd purposefully have to hold back and attempt to save Sally. Well, it's not a huge deal, I think Omega worked fine enough. I'm guessing this isn't a hard and fast rule that applies to all the SEGA characters, just some of the more prominent ones?

AS pretty much are all. It'll all depend on the judgment of the SEGA liaison to talking with Archie.