Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Actualy, there are a few exceptions(like lord hood), and the entire SATAM cast, but ya we have lost a lot of characters

Well, I'm not counting SatAM since they were always clearly owned by SEGA lock, stock and barrel. And, like VEDJ-F pointed out, Hood was one of Flynn's characters.

So does this mean Mina's likely gone now 'cause Penders somehow indirectly said "I own her" or something?

If so, that's a damn shame, she's the only Archie original character I actually cared about.

It's not so much that he owns her, it's just that she's off limits as she was created by Karl Bollers and it's like he owns her now. That, and I assume Archie's just covering themselves should any more past creatives catch the legal bug.

EDIT: Dammit, VEDJ-F!

Quick question actually, is it safe to assume that past creatives actually got the rights to their characters back? Or is Archie simply distancing themselves from them as a precaution? I figure based on things Penders has said recently, such as Gallagher supposedly having rights to Athair and so on and the recent reveal about Finitevus's status that must be the case, but I hadn't really heard much regarding Bollers or anyone else during the lawsuit. I suppose it doesn't matter as they're gone anyway, but I'm just curious what the actual ownership status of the characters is at this point.

Edited by Zaysho

Didn't Mike and Karl help Ken during the lawsuit? So I think it's safe to assume that they did get the rights back and I recall ken did say on twitter he's was talking with one former writer to add their characters in the Lara su chronicles.

At this point the legal mess is making me feel apathetic towards the old continuity yeah 20 years of comics was just whipped away sucks but lets be completely honest here how many of those years where good? Ive been re reading the older issues and I just felt that post Naugus world tour they just stopped giving a damn about what they where doing. It was until Ian and Tracy came is when they actually started trying again

• Thumbs Up 3

They had statements saying, IIRC, "yep no contract"

You're thinking of this wrong, Deji. The moment Archie admitted the loss of Penders material, all material was gone. The hope people had was that they'd negotiate it back, like, maybe Mike Gallagher didn't care about his material and would waver it to Archie? Because what the Penders case did was show none of the material was Archie's in the first place.

The hope people had was that they'd negotiate it back, like, maybe Mike Gallagher didn't care about his material and would waver it to Archie?

Yeah pretty much this. People couldn't really see them doing a Mina comic, or a Mogul comic etc perhaps they didn't care if their characters kept appearing in the Sonic comics. More publicity for them. Or maybe Archie would offer them a deal of sorts to keep the characters, tho if they did help Ken then that wouldn't be on the table I imagine.

Under normal circumstances I usually fight for the underdogs but in this case I actually see Archie as the one wronged, I really do. The lack of a contract is a huge clerical mistake on Archie's part, but the ex-employees using that as a way to try and get money out of Archie after they have left by pulling characters and demanding payment, hurting their fans more than anyone else over pure greed is just disgusting.

They have this false "I've been wronged" idea in their heads, when they have been paid for their work while under Archie's employ to do their job like every other staff member, and had their contracts been kept properly they would be under the same rule of thumb as every other contracted employee in any other company, that if you create something while under employment in your field that uses ideas or concepts gained in your time at the company, that said ideas or creations belong to your employer. Especially so if said things are being used in licensed works belonging to other parties.

How the Archie law team couldn't point out that Penders would never have created or had his idea for Lara-Su and all the other echidnas etc without having been employed to work for the Sonic comic I will never understand.

But I'm enjoying the soft reset myself, but I do feel for all those fans affected more heavily than myself.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point the legal mess is making me feel apathetic towards the old continuity yeah 20 years of comics was just whipped away sucks but lets be completely honest here how many of those years where good? Ive been re reading the older issues and I just felt that post Naugus world tour they just stopped giving a damn about what they where doing. It was until Ian and Tracy came is when they actually started trying again

It was because of Ian and Tracy that I saw something out of those things before their time worth giving a damn about. Things like Sonic and Tails time in the Dragon Kingdom where they first met the Iron Queen I didn't care that much about, but when Ian brought her back almost 100 issues later and made better use of her I actually began to like that she was around and appreciated that she was there in the older issues.

In fact, Ian made me appreciate the past stories where people just made whatever, because they had more clarity and focus under his time and gave them more nostalgic value that I wouldn't have had otherwise. So whether they weren't as good in the past isn't something I care about. Even better that he reused older elements, characters, and settings to build new events in the arcs of his time even while he was crafting completely new and original material, something that I greatly applaud.

• Thumbs Up 6

Doc Fin is gone too?

SIGH

This is just...I can't...my god.  It's over. 

I hope Ken hemorrhages money from his little pursuits, I really really do.

And reporting this stuff back to Bumbleking made me more nervous than I have been making a post in a long time.

Because the part where I actually posted wasn't so bad, I just did it in response to someone hoping Fini would be the figure Knuckles found (basically it was me trying to not leave them disappointed a few months later) and even said that I didn't want any discussion of it. But then nobody else posted and Ian himself came onto the board ten minutes later. He woke up and the first thing he saw was more legality woes. Damnit.

And reporting this stuff back to Bumbleking made me more nervous than I have been making a post in a long time. Because the part where I actually posted wasn't so bad, I just did it in response to someone hoping Fini would be the figure Knuckles found (basically it was me trying to not leave them disappointed a few months later) and even said that I didn't want any discussion of it. But then nobody else posted and Ian himself came onto the board ten minutes later. He woke up and the first thing he saw was more legality woes. Damnit.

Wow that really sucks sorry to hear that. For the past year everybody has been jumpy I understand their frustration but c'mon they should of mellowed out by now

Wait, does this mean Mogul is gone?

Most likely

If we go by the "Everyone bar Ian" thing, although Karl Bollers being confirmed doesn't affect him since he's one of Scott Fulop's creations.

If we go by the "Everyone bar Ian" thing, although Karl Bollers being confirmed doesn't affect him since he's one of Scott Fulop's creations.

Did Fulop/Taylor side with Penders during the whole mess? I know he "deferred" his rights to some of the scripts he wrote with Penders when the latter filed for copyrights (what's the story with those anyway? Does he still hold copyright on those stories?). I suppose it doesn't matter; much as I want Mogul back, it does seem more likely if Flynn didn't create them, or they weren't SEGA property already, they ain't coming back. Bummer.

I'd say the fact they can still use the title "Mogul Rising" for the Saga books indicates Mogul is likely safe.

I'd say the fact they can still use the title "Mogul Rising" for the Saga books indicates Mogul is likely safe.

Actualy, thats a good point, especialy since we havent heard anything on him yet either way, and he isnt a villian they would bring in off the bat, however I also see that if he does come back he would definately get involved in the crisis

.... Wait what  if MOGUL is who Knuckles encounters?!

Actualy, thats a good point, especialy since we havent heard anything on him yet either way, and he isnt a villian they would bring in off the bat, however I also see that if he does come back he would definately get involved in the crisis

.... Wait what  if MOGUL is who Knuckles encounters?!

That would be interesting, depending on whether or not Mogul is still immortal or has a Chaos Emerald fused to his body

If the world is more like the games, Mogul wouldn't have a Chaos Emerald given how much the Emeralds constantly get used.

...That's assuming that he would even have one in this new universe or that the Emeralds can give one immortality.

Perhaps in this reality he is tied to the Time stones instead? he did have a relationship with them in the old continuity, and they are much more flexible than the Choas Emeralds

I imagine that something that can warp time and space could under the right conditions perserve life, and there is no true set number of time stones due to their single appearance

• Thumbs Up 2

I just finished reading Sonic Universe 61. I'm curious to see how this arc will end.

Speaking of, has anyone done a plot review yet?

Hey guys! Want to own the Megaman/Sonic Crossover in one single book?

At the end of November, you can in hardback! The catch; it costs about $80 at normal price.

Edit: Well, it turns out that that price is only for the super deluxe flash bang wallop lookit me edition. The regular deluxe edition only costs $50.

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn your fast. Posted that at BumbleKing like 3 minutes ago tongue.png

Panda-Man, I can speed run 3 and a bit Sonic Underground episodes in five minutes for one background character. Finding and transmitting information fast is in my veins. :3c

• Thumbs Up 6

Wonder what's in the super-deluxe version that makes it worth $30 more. Archie is really getting into the multiple formats thing pretty hard huh, makes a completionist collectors life a bit more difficult and costly haha

I'll probably have have all the graphic novels by the time this thing comes out, so I doubt I'll be getting this. Still, it's nice of them to collect it all in a single book.