Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Regarding Unleashed, I think the "world adventure" and globe-trotting aspect was essentially the point of the graphics; they wanted to make a game with visual reference to a lot of different real-world locations and geographies as a compromise between the realism of '06 and the sometimes abstract cartooniness of earlier games, so they gave the game a plotline about a global threat and scattered the solutions to that threat around the globe to provide a justification for the travelling and different settings.  The duality theme was was the point of the gameplay; they wanted to have a radically different (and more specifically, slower) form of gameplay in whilst still having the game have just Sonic playable, so they gave Sonic two different identities and gameplay styles and expanded upon that theme in the plot to give it an apparent purpose and grander meaning.  So duality and travel are both themes in the game, but they don't necessarily have much to do with each other innately; part of the purpose of the plot is to tie them together.  (Although I think Chip was blatantly designed before they came up with his backstory.)

I don't read the Archie comics, so in a sense this is none of my business, but I think a lot of these points are still applicable to how Archie could adapt the story, as the plot of Unleashed is actually comparatively well-conceived.  I imagine Archie would definitely want to bring in the major points of the story, or why bother adapting it at all?  So the world splitting, global travel, the Werehog, and Chip and the Gaias I would all expect to be in in some form (though this comes from someone who doesn't know much about the comics aside from what I've read here).

I haven't seen him get such a reception at all outside of here. Remember how Scourge was also one of the most popular characters everywhere but, again, here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm guessing its part of the unleashed adaptation rather than eclipse himself

• Thumbs Up 1

Eclipse i.e. sun/moon. Might be that we'll see a full Werehog transformation. Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

I believe that's a Sonic Universe planned arc ("SUO67-70"), so it most likely wouldn't focus on Sonic, even if he's in a different form. Although, if they did use that as a loophole, it would prompt a lot of jokes about the comics going Sola Sonica... tongue.png

I haven't seen him get such a reception at all outside of here. Remember how Scourge was also one of the most popular characters everywhere but, again, here.

Eclipse has, as much as I have seen, barely even a string of popularity so far. Little licks of fanart if because he's a new character, people going 'why' at his design and appearance and as much as you've seen here of people simply discussing why they needed him. If Ian was wanting to do another arc with him, it might just be to try and boost popularity when it's already rather poor.

What if the SU story arc doesn't have to do with Eclipse or a sun/moon eclipse? Maybe it's just describing the feelings of one of the characters and how he feels "eclipsed" by others. Someone like... Mighty. 

Lol no jk that's never gonna happen. 

Am I the only one who actually really likes Eclipse?  Admittedly, I don't think there's a chance of him getting an arc this early, regardless of how popular he is.  If anything I'll just guess it's the Werehog.  Although I hope Mighty appears in it as well and then the two can have one awesome throwdown with each other.

I think it has more to do with the Unleashed adaptation rather than the character Eclipse. I really do like the character though, I think it's a breathe of fresh air how he isn't dark and edgy, rather cocky and idolizing of Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind Eclipse that much. I just look at him like another comic-only character. I think he's good in Shadow Fall, and that's where he'll stay so I have no problem with him being in the comics. I'll admit, I do like what Ian did with Shadow Fall. If anything, the plot makes Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) look less... weird and out of place. I don't mind the whole Shadow being an alien. I mean, it's not like we got any better explanation from SEGA themselves, so I'll just roll with it.

A lot of people see Eclipse as Shadow's brother. I see it more like Black Doom wanted Shadow but Shadow left him so he made a clone instead. Wait, that is how it's explained in the comics, right? Was it mentioned if Eclipse was made with Shadow's blood? That would sorta explain why people see him as a brother but eh, I don't think that was the intention.

I dunno if that was the intention honestly, I just sort of read the issue as if Eclipse thought Shadow was the coolest thing ever, and just wanted his awesome big brother to be on his side.

It's more a case of Eclipse seeing himself as a brother to Shadow. Shadow, in his normal mindset...does not share the same sentiment.

What if the SU story arc doesn't have to do with Eclipse or a sun/moon eclipse? Maybe it's just describing the feelings of one of the characters and how he feels "eclipsed" by others. Someone like... Mighty. 

Lol no jk that's never gonna happen. 

That meaning of eclipse wouldn't be that unlikely... if the protagonist was Tails. I think it would work (even though it's something we've already seen in the games, but the new continuity seems to get a lot of stuff from those).

Eclipse is cool, nothing creative or spectacular, but I wouldn't mind if he took the role of "evil twin" Scourge had with Sonic.

So you're saying we could see a Sonic Adventure type Tails? That would be nice, but wait. Wasn't Tails already like that in the comics? Heck he still is. In the first issue of the new continuity he was the one to focus on battling the Tails Doll while Sonic was confused about the two different memories he had. 

The story arc could be about anything. Remember when we first got "The Gr..." and people couldn't think of anything logical but turned out to be "The Great Chaotix Caper". For all we know if could be Echo/Echoes, which is what I'm leading towards now as anything with Eclipse would seem like a weird choice. 

Edit: Never mind the stupid stuff I said there. I just now noticed the title starts as "Total Ecl..." so yeah Eclipse seems perfectly logical. Silly me.

Edited by SwiftWinds

You're not alone QuantumEdge :P I also really like Eclipse. He seems pretty interesting and I really don't think he looks like a bad fanmade Shadow clone. I think he's pretty creative for being a Black arms Version of Shadow. I mean he could look far most worse. He could been a complelety recolour instead. I'm so curious if he's gonna survive at the end of this arc or not.

When we are on the topic of Eclipse and Shadow Fall. Isn't Sonic Universe 61 supposed to come out very soon?

Kinda hope Shadow doesn't turn normal at the very first page of the issue. If it happends, then I feel like the last issue with half of it being BD and Eclipse trying to turn him, kinda wasted.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's actually about éclairs.

What's actually interesting, though, is that the other three all have the same names. Another crossover? Seeing as how long the arc in Sonic's main series and Mega Man seems to be, I hope not :V.

Eh, seems a little too soon to do another crossover, no matter how well it did. Plus, Sega and Capcom would to either approve or approach Archie to do another one.

Nevermind the fact that Mega Man is going to be having a 4-part crossover with X this year.

I love the Archie series a whole lot, but it's definitely gone downhill after the recent reboot.

Ignoring the crossover, I actually think Countdown To Chaos has been one one of the better arcs in awhile.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so curious if he's gonna survive at the end of this arc or not.

I think he might survive, honestly. SU 62's solicits states that Shadow will fight while Rouge and Omega try to stop Eclipse from killing the G.U.N. soldiers.

That, coupled with the whole fact that they have to blow the Black Comet up, I don't think there'd be much time for a proper send off for Eclipse.

Of course, the solicit can be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ignoring the crossover, I actually think Countdown To Chaos has been one one of the better arcs in awhile.

Well after dumbshit Penders started pulling his legal mindgames we were just dragging ourselves until the crossover. not much we could've done to improve the 2 arcs when characters kept getting cut every single issue so yeah the arcs were pretty meh because of that.

I would have liked to have seen the resolution to Silver's traitor arc that I waited 4 fucking years for, I would have liked to have seen Elias take back his kingdom, I would have liked to have seen where the Nagus subplot would have gone, I would have liked to have seen what would have been Knuckles' real "comeback" arc. But none of these stories were completed and it served as a shitty sendoff to the old continuity. So having a arc that doesn't just teeter of and die is very nice