Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It seemed they wouldn't change the name of the Enerjak Reborn arc...but that's what happened. Though I think "A Mammoth Rising" does have a nice ring to it.

EDIT: And to put it back on its proper subject, I don't mind them so much.

Anyone else disappointed with the recent new character designs? Fancharacter the Wannabe is already bad, but I'm not really liking the shark and shrimp either. I'm still really bothered by the fact that the shark has arms and legs :/ Maybe my opinion will change when we see more of them, but so far...

Is the Wannabe Eclispes?

Is the Wannabe Eclispes?

Yeah.

It seemed they wouldn't change the name of the Enerjak Reborn arc...but that's what happened. Though I think "A Mammoth Rising" does have a nice ring to it.

EDIT: And to put it back on its proper subject, I don't mind them so much.

I don't actually remember Mogul being part of that arc..

What exactly is the point of changing the arc names? The comics themselves are unchanged, right? So why change the title?

It wasn't.

The point of the game is to recharge the Emeralds and repair the planet, but bear in mind that said planet was split because of the whole Gaia duplicity thing Eggman was trying to unearth in the first place. That was clear within the game's intro at least concerning Dark Gaia's awakening. Nevermind the whole Day and Night cycle that affected Sonic's form change being connected to it. So to call all of that a subplot is missing half the point of the whole game.

I didn't say it wasn't a catalyst, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to call it a subplot because in my opinion that's exactly what it is. The main theme of the game is global tourism.

No. I was just pointing out the name changes done to Enerjak Reborn, and that it still isn't impossible that Mogul Rising could be renamed as well. Apologies for any misunderstandings.

Anyone else disappointed with the recent new character designs? Fancharacter the Wannabe is already bad, but I'm not really liking the shark and shrimp either. I'm still really bothered by the fact that the shark has arms and legs :/ Maybe my opinion will change when we see more of them, but so far...

If birds can have arms and legs, I don't really see whats so wrong with aquatic creatures having the same

No you're not. I am too.

The problem with quite a few Sonic character designers who use species that haven't been done before or are rarely done is that the fixation with 'originality' takes prominence over a character who actually looks good at the end of the day and they often lapse into the issue of not even making the species' physiology factor into the design meaningfully. A rarely-done species =/= Automatically good-looking/interesting character. I see nothing remotely great or particularly interesting about the Shrimp character's appearance because nothing has been done to it to make it break the mold and it hardly even looks like a shrimp either. In fact my first impressions of that character was that it was a robot or a piece of Mobian-ized coral.

Yeah.

What exactly is the point of changing the arc names? The comics themselves are unchanged, right? So why change the title?

Trademark. Go read up on the Captain Marvel case for examples, but basically they're likely not being allowed to use this material on covers and publicity, even if inside it's the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

ScreenShot2014-02-21at52402PM_zps15645f0

The Shrimp dude looks okay, he has some characteristics most notably in the facial area with all the feelers and featureless eyes, don't know what's going on with his back though, they look like butterfly wings, overall though he's not great but pretty okay. 

I think the Shark looks better though, I figure they gave him feet in order to be a more versatile character and possibly not just be restricted to the water.

I'm personally really digging the new designs myself. We haven't seen some of them fully but I think sharkie and shrimpie at least are imaginative while also staying within the Sonic guidelines. I could tell right away that Shrimpie was a Shrimp because I was aware of the species' nuances. Besides, it's not like the official characters are sometimes unclear as well (I've heard Amy the Cat quite a few times, and don't get me started on when people comment on "the tiny rhino".

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm personally really digging the new designs myself. We haven't seen some of them fully but I think sharkie and shrimpie at least are imaginative while also staying within the Sonic guidelines. I could tell right away that Shrimpie was a Shrimp because I was aware of the species' nuances. Besides, it's not like the official characters are sometimes unclear as well (I've heard Amy the Cat quite a few times, and don't get me started on when people comment on "the tiny rhino".

I've heard some people call her a bear. And I hate when Espio is called a Rhino as well.

No, the main theme is about duality. That is a flat out fact, regardless of whatever you believe it is. It's too ubiquitous for you to downplay it as a subplot: Normal Sonic/Werehog Sonic, Day/Night, Light/Dark Gaia (which the entire narrative completely revolves around, mostly Dark Gaia), Corruption/Purification, whole world/fragmented world, Day and Night Medals, Gaia Keys split in half to obtain in day and night to reach the boss, etc.

Even the game's main cover shows this by splitting Normal Sonic with his werehog form:

Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg

Anything less than that and you're missing half the point of the game. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I don't believe for a second that the duality theme is anywhere near as important as you claim. If what you're saying is true, Unleashed could have taken place on a single island and nothing would have changed. Never mind that the title "Sonic World Adventure" would make no sense at all...

Oh, and the Japanese cover shows this by displaying the various locales Sonic visits and incorporating a globe in the title. Yes, it also shows off the Werehog, but only enough to make it clear that it's an alternate form of Sonic:

270px-Sonic_World_Adventure_Wii_A.jpg

Furthermore, if Unleashed ever gets a sequel, I fully expect it to continue the theme of traveling the world. No lycanthropy, no winged fennecs, just Sonic and Co. visiting different countries.

One last thing: I don't care if you disagree, but that doesn't give you the right to act as if that makes me objectively wrong. My opinion may not be fact, but yours isn't either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really dig that shark guy. Not sure how he'd look in 3D or whatever, but for an original Archie design he looks really cool. A shark is just about the only place where paddle feet don't look totally weird to me, too.

I'm not crazy about the shrimp (he looks alright, though), but as arthropods go anything's an improvement over the mammal-in-an-insect-costume look Charmy has.

Heh, yeah. Knuclkles really don't look anything like an actual Echidna too, like since when do echidna's have dreadlock spikes.

Anyway, I love the looks of the Mantis Shrimp and Shark, problemly couldn't have done better myself to keep the Sonic-fied.

I don't believe for a second that the duality theme is anywhere near as important as you claim. If what you're saying is true, Unleashed could have taken place on a single island and nothing would have changed. Never mind that the title "Sonic World Adventure" would make no sense at all... Oh, and the Japanese cover shows this by displaying the various locales Sonic visits and incorporating a globe in the title. Yes, it also shows off the Werehog, but only enough to make it clear that it's an alternate form of Sonic: 270px-Sonic_World_Adventure_Wii_A.jpg Furthermore, if Unleashed ever gets a sequel, I fully expect it to continue the theme of traveling the world. No lycanthropy, no winged fennecs, just Sonic and Co. visiting different countries. One last thing: I don't care if you disagree, but that doesn't give you the right to act as if that makes me objectively wrong. My opinion may not be fact, but yours isn't either.
So i suppose that SA1 wasnt about Chaos and his revenge on the world, or SA2 wasn't about Shadow and Gerald's revenge on Earth. They were about adventuring, because the title said so? Note that "duality" doesn't mean it takes place at a single location. Also note that the Japanese cover ALSO has duality by way of doing the exact same thing with the werehog and Sonic split on the cover, only showing pictures of the world behind it, once again highlighting how important it is and that downplaying it is missing half the game's point. There is enough proof in the game showing you this, and all you're doing now is arguing and denying this for the sake of being right.

I don't believe for a second that the duality theme is anywhere near as important as you claim. If what you're saying is true, Unleashed could have taken place on a single island and nothing would have changed. Never mind that the title "Sonic World Adventure" would make no sense at all...

This analogy makes absolutely no logic sense at all. Since when did the game's absolutely prevalent theme of duality have anything to do with the scope of the game's world travel premise?

Note that "duality" doesn't mean it takes place at a single location.

I know that. My point is that you seem to think they could have dispensed with the entire theme of world travel, which is missing half the point of the game.

Also note that the Japanese cover ALSO has duality by way of doing the exact same thing with the werehog and Sonic split on the cover, only showing pictures of the world behind it, once again highlighting how important it is and that downplaying it is missing half the game's point.

I already explained this: the split is to show that the Werehog is an alternate form for Sonic. The duality only appears on the western cover, where the background accentuates the split while downplaying the "World Adventure" aspect.

There is enough proof in the game showing you this, and all you're doing now is arguing and denying this for the sake of being right.

That's because as far as I'm concerned, I am right. The "world travel" theme feels more prevalent to me than the "duality" theme, and nothing you say is going to change my opinion. If you can't accept that, then leave me alone!

This analogy makes absolutely no logic sense at all. Since when did the game's absolutely prevalent theme of duality have anything to do with the scope of the game's world travel premise?

Think about it this way. If Unleashed got a sequel, what do you think it would have: new countries to visit, or more of the Werehog?

I know that. My point is that you seem to think they could have dispensed with the entire theme of world travel, which is missing half the point of the game.
Really? Point where I said or implied that or stop strawmanning me.

I already explained this: the split is to show that the Werehog is an alternate form for Sonic. The duality only appears on the western cover, where the background accentuates the split while downplaying the "World Adventure" aspect.
Yet they both display the split of Sonic and the werehog, an element of duality which, again, is half the point of the game. :V

That's because as far as I'm concerned, I am right. The "world travel" theme feels more prevalent to me than the "duality" theme, and nothing you say is going to change my opinion. If you can't accept that, then leave me alone!
Or you could have just not bothered to argue if you're just going to flip the table every time someone explains otherwise. As far as what is really concerned here, your wrong if your going to downplay the game's duality theme as a sub-plot over the world traveling, as for the umpteenth time it is half the point of the game. That's like saying the whole point if the Adventures were to adventure instead of SA1 being about stopping Chaos from destroying the world in revenge or SA2 being about Shadow and Gerald's revenge on the world simply because the title says so.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Think about it this way. If Unleashed got a sequel, what do you think it would have: new countries to visit, or more of the Werehog?

The japanese cover for Sonic World Adventure also shows the concept of duality with the golden/purple aura around Sonic and the day/night split of the areas shown on the cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

The japanese cover for Sonic World Adventure also shows the concept of duality with the golden/purple aura around Sonic and the day/night split of the areas shown on the cover.

It does?

FUCK, now my whole argument is ruined! I was so sure Unleashed was supposed to be about travel, and now it turns out I'm wrong and everyone thinks I'm some kind of idiot!

It does?

FUCK, now my whole argument is ruined! I was so sure Unleashed was supposed to be about travel, and now it turns out I'm wrong and everyone thinks I'm some kind of idiot!

... Take it easy, man. One of the themes is Unleashed is about the globe trotting -- it's just that, as CSS and Verte have already stated, duality is also a prevalent theme here. There's nothing wrong with a work having two or more themes, after all!

With that said... is anyone else here up for seeing Knuckles kick some Nightmare ass? biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 8

With that said... is anyone else here up for seeing Knuckles kick some Nightmare ass? biggrin.png

I am.

Speaking of Chip, I also can't see them not bringing him into the comics, especially since he's kinda needed to open the Gaia Temples

• Thumbs Up 1

Today I got one of the Knuckles graphic novels from the library. Its been a long time since I read any of the comics.

I have some of the old ones in a shoebox though :)