Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It's less valid because it isn't endorsed by SEGA, so it's a fan works.

Re:the Archie online comic, I'd be VEEERY careful where you guys tread, Penders fought awful hard to get his characters removed (unless permission is asked) and unless you guys ask him then I can imagine he will order a C&D against the online fancomic due to being his characters and all (even though it'll be non profit).

DANG IT! Thanks for telling me. ...Well ****, he already pendered us before we've even started!!! Now I gotta make character changes.

Would you people stop demonizing him?

He's repeatedly said he's fine with fans using the characters so long as it's made explicit they're his.

DANG IT! Thanks for telling me. ...Well ****, he already pendered us before we've even started!!! Now I gotta make character changes.

I don't think that will be necessary. Like I said before, it's only copyright infringement if you make money off of it. Not to mention that Penders would literally have to be suicidal if he was going to attack a fan project.

No, it's copyright infringement even if you're not making money out of it. It's just not standard practice to fight that.

That doesn't change the fact that sending a C&D to something non-profit is pretty much the worst thing Penders can do from just about any perspective.

But just to be on the safe side, I have some advice for comic321. Credit him as the original creator of (insert list of characters), but make it clear you're only doing so to avoid a lawsuit. There's no shame in capitulation if you're being coerced, and this way the fans will be getting what they want.

Would you people stop demonizing him?

He's repeatedly said he's fine with fans using the characters so long as it's made explicit they're his.

No, thats never going to happen. guy fucks up 20 years of comic history over something completely asinine, hes never going to stop getting verbal assaults thrown at him for as long as he lives.

Penders is a demon in human skin by all things considered because only a demon would do the legal bull hes done with a shit eating grin on his face.

• Thumbs Up 1

That doesn't change the fact that sending a C&D to something non-profit is pretty much the worst thing Penders can do from just about any perspective.

Because, you know, that's never happened before... Oh wait, Square-Enix does this shit all the time to the Chrono Trigger community.

Here's an idea for how things would be set up: "Based on (unused) story concepts by Ian Flynn; Sonic and all related characters ©SEGA with the exception of (insert character here), which are ©..." See what I'm saying? Just enough of a notice/disclaimer to hopefully keep him and his lapdog BobR off your backs. Might also not be a bad idea to simply not tell him about it... but you know, still use the copyright notice as a pre-caution and all.

No, thats never going to happen. guy fucks up 20 years of comic history over something completely asinine, hes never going to stop getting verbal assaults thrown at him for as long as he lives.

Penders is a demon in human skin by all things considered because only a demon would do the legal bull hes done with a shit eating grin on his face.

Now, as you know, I don't like the man either, especially after all the dust settled on this bullshit, but I just don't see what harassing/demonizing him is going to do at this point. He doesn't care what we or anyone else thinks. Only his and his friends' opinions matter. If we're upset, all we're going to get is "sorry it's not to your tastes, but I know people who like it! I swear! It's gonna be HUGE!" I'd rather let this all blow up in his face and then he creep quietly back into the shadows where he belongs. Then he can look back and see how he destroyed his legacy and screwed up his career, all because he wanted his Sonic knock-offs back and he didn't like the people who own the fucking property telling him what to do on their merchandise (which is apparently why he left the book in the first place).

But maybe even then he won't care, I dunno.

Edited by Zaysho

I just rather him be legally barred from anything comic book ever again for the rest of his life. No franchise no matter how crappy deserves a cruel fate to have Ken Penders as a part of its creative team.

Guy needs a 9-5 part time job in a grocery store or something more suited to what he deserves. but I'm done with this, we gotta get back on topic now.

So yeah, blue hedgehog comic. when do you think the Warehog and Chip will make their appearences?

I'm guessing Werehog will show up in the Waves of Change story arc. Why? Well, I'm mostly guessing because of the name of the arc and because the solicits mention Dark Gaia temples. As for Chip, it's hard to say at this point since there's been no indication that he'll show up in the comics. 

Lets Ian finds a way to write him out of the plot

I mean, it's not like he was important to the lore of Unleashed or anything!

Still, I like Chip. not like he was overly annoying or anything but I didn't like the fact he took tails spot for the entire game and skewed Tails into "Pilot guy" territory.

I'm sure Ian could do something good with Chip given the chance.

Clearly Ian will just have Tails play Chip's role! I mean, everyone knows Chip just stole Tails' role and did absolutely nothing else, right? The story will make complete sense without him!!!

:U

In all seriousness, I'll be absolutely shocked if Chip doesn't show up. I'm looking forward to seeing how he's introduced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lets Ian finds a way to write him out of the plot

I mean, it's not like he was important to the lore of Unleashed or anything!

I know you're joking, but do you really want to go there? That's enough drama for a whole new topic, with people still missing the point of Unleashed's narrative to this day.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I did some searching and apparently the last page of Sonic Super Digest 6 says there are two parts to Sonic Comic Origins. Part One will be in Sonic Super Special magazine 11 (and presumably Free Comic Book Day) and Part Two will be in Sonic Super Digest 7.

Which I have mixed feelings about. I'm fine with them sticking the game adaptations in the magazines and digests but when its relevant to the new continuity then it forces you to buy them which I've stopped doing recently considering most of the stories are stuff from Ian's run which I already have. Then again the content of Sonic Super Digest 5 sounds good (the worth of two Archives books in one of the digests) so maybe those two issues will have good reprints as well?

I know no one posted the solicits here but Sonic Archives 1 and 2 are getting reprinted. Do you suppose these are going to be full size? I don't see why Archie would re-release the Archives. Unless there are new edited Archives. Although I highly doubt that since it's been said that the Penders material is unaffected in reprints.

Full size? The Digests are smaller than the Archives, page size-wise.

As for why they'd do it again? Because they're using the new origin as an excuse to link in the first comics as if it were the old FF origin. 

I know you're joking, but do you really want to go there? That's enough drama for a whole new topic, with people still missing the point of Unleashed's narrative to this day.

I thought the point of the game was "Sonic is traveling the world to recharge the Chaos Emeralds and repair the planet." Isn't that why it's called Sonic World Adventure in Japan?

Yes, I know you're talking about the whole Gaia duplicity thing, but that felt more like a subplot to me.

I mentioned it a few posts before. Since that I've realised it's likely a reflection of actual shrimp eyes being black balls.

Yay. Full sized covers.

Now we get a better look at our new characters.

...Is it just me, or does the mantis shrimp appear to not have any eyes? Looks like there's something covering them, though.

I know it's likely nothing, but I'm kind of curious why they're soliciting new printings of previously released collections (Sonic Archives vol 1 & 2). Does that happen much? Perhaps they're bringing attention to it for newer readers? I just don't think I've seen that much or at all.

Nice to see some full-sized covers, all the same. Love the artwork.

Off topic I think they're getting carried away with the fact afterlife is a mature book

On topic Hey atleast they didn't change the name of tge Mongol rising arc and Mina is on the cover so that's a good thing I'm not saying Mina and Mongol are coming back. Also does this mean that the re release of the archives are going to be clearer and no inking errors etc?

I thought the point of the game was "Sonic is traveling the world to recharge the Chaos Emeralds and repair the planet." Isn't that why it's called Sonic World Adventure in Japan?

Yes, I know you're talking about the whole Gaia duplicity thing, but that felt more like a subplot to me.

It wasn't.

The point of the game is to recharge the Emeralds and repair the planet and stop Dark Gaia; bear in mind that said planet was split because of the whole Gaia duality thing Eggman had unearthed in the first place. That was clear within the game's intro at least concerning Dark Gaia's awakening. Nevermind the whole Day and Night cycle that affected Sonic's form change being connected to it and the two different classes of minions you face in those periods. So to call all of that a subplot is missing half the point of the whole game.

Anyone else disappointed with the recent new character designs? Fancharacter the Wannabe is already bad, but I'm not really liking the shark and shrimp either. I'm still really bothered by the fact that the shark has arms and legs :/ Maybe my opinion will change when we see more of them, but so far...