Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

oh man, issue 254 was great! cant wait for the next oen

Also loving Eggman as a good field agent, and how Ant is being pretty BA. also love that the freedom fighters are feeling like that again, and cant wait to see them in action as a team again!

That's the thing with Eggman. When he does things himself instead of pushing it off on other people, things tend to get done a lot more efficiently and quicker than if he passes it off to someone else where things may not ever get done or they constantly fail all the time.

This is something that I thought of today... 

Under the possibility of Sonic Chronicles actually being canon, There's a chance that the Egg Armies are a result of the events of that game and Eggman taking over while Sonic and co. were in the Twilight Cage.

The comics sure have been filled with some decent reaction images lately.

I get the feeling Ian Flynn is actually instructing the artists to use such expressions in the script. We must remember he is one of us, after all, being only in his 20s and just as exposed to all the culture and stuff of the modern age as we are. This is just one of many things resulting from fans filling the rank of SEGA and its associates these days, I guess.

This is something that I thought of today... 

Under the possibility of Sonic Chronicles actually being canon, There's a chance that the Egg Armies are a result of the events of that game and Eggman taking over while Sonic and co. were in the Twilight Cage.

Highly unlikely, since both Uncle Chuck and King acorn are both still around

I will say just one thing: Murder for the person who removed the plugtails.

Oh, and another. I love all this talk of a certain someone being very badass. Can't wait for the issue.

*Born 1982*

Excuse me?

So he is in early 30's, just a few years off I would say, but I got his point still. He isn't some old guy in his 50's or 60's that isn't really a fan of the series and is there just for the paycheck.

*Born 1982*

Excuse me?

Okay, 30s, whatever.

The point is that he's a youngster more or less from our generation and thus treats the material he's given with far more passion than most others. Compare how Flynn treats his characters versus Penders: Flynn is an avid fan and so genuinely seems to want to do a good job; Penders just did it for the paycheck, and cared miles more about Knuckles than anyone else.

I think it reflects in the overall quality of each person's work, as well (even if Flynn's rabid fan status is somewhat reflected in that he also likes to put his own pre-writer creations into the comic, but Penders was guilty of this too).

Edited by Ogil.exe Maurice

tumblr_mvihzflBvq1r1alb2o1_500.jpg

-Her cuffs on her gloves and shoes have decoration.

Woah, awesome. I felt like her gloves and boots were missing a little something back when I drew her a few weeks ago.

http://brodogz.deviantart.com/art/Comm-Nicole-Modern-w-Color-406449671

great minds think alike. Gonna miss the plugs tho.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Highly unlikely, since both Uncle Chuck and King acorn are both still around

....? What does this have to do with what I said, exactly?

....? What does this have to do with what I said, exactly?

They were in the twilight cage for at least 30 years, and both of those guys would be ancient, or Eggman would have knocked them off.

They were in the twilight cage for at least 30 years, and both of those guys would be ancient, or Eggman would have knocked them off.

Are you sure it was thirty years? I just thought it was like a year or something. At least enough time for Eggman to conquer and not look a day older.

Due to the way time works in there, a few hours would work out as a few years, so there would still be quite a gulf of time passed.

So... Capcom is run by Penders now? Come on, they're not that litigious. This is a company that gave a full licensing deal for their music to an unknown rapper who sampled from their games for an album instead of, you know, suing the guy into oblivion (and I'm personally happy that's how Random's story played out, but I'm a fan of his work).

They won't let go of Mega Man and have $152 million in the bank, they don't even have enough to make a fighting game, they'd do anything for money. But on account to what everyone else has said, probably just other choices involved.

PS Penders didn't care much for Knuckles, he cared more for his "original" characters and just used Knuckles as an excuse to have them.

They won't let go of Mega Man and have $152 million in the bank, they don't even have enough to make a fighting game, they'd do anything for money. But on account to what everyone else has said, probably just other choices involved.

Really? I can't imagine they're doing so badly, at least as far as merchandising and some of their non-Mega Man propeties go, but I don't follow Capcom very closely.

PS Penders didn't care much for Knuckles, he cared more for his "original" characters and just used Knuckles as an excuse to have them.

Yeah I know, I was just taking a potshot at that whole stupid squabble.

Basically a Mickey Mouse type plot device protagonist he used to make his own characters relevant then?

I'm mixed about Flynn, he has a problem making stories where personalities drive the plot and isn't that good at making flawed characters that aren't villains, but he's actually still probably an improvement in those areas compared to Penders and at least seems like he's trying to keep the SEGA concepts relevant. I think it's just the problem that, just because he's fan of the characters, doesn't mean he knows how to write them.

I thought his work for Sonic X was pretty good, but then again that was pretty much a villain protagonist slapstick with Eggman so it kinda appealed to his specialty.

Are you sure it was thirty years? I just thought it was like a year or something. At least enough time for Eggman to conquer and not look a day older.

Considering how fast Dr. Eggman works in some games, I wouldn't be surprised if he only needed a couple of months.

Due to the way time works in there, a few hours would work out as a few years, so there would still be quite a gulf of time passed.

That isn't actually how it works. The Twilight Cage doesn't have any time, period. As a result, there's no real way of telling whether you've been there for thousands of years or just five minutes. All we can determine is that Sonic and Co. were gone long enough for Dr. Eggman to at least rebuild his city.

Basically a Mickey Mouse type plot device protagonist he used to make his own characters relevant then?

I'm mixed about Flynn, he has a problem making stories where personalities drive the plot and isn't that good at making flawed characters that aren't villains, but he's actually still probably an improvement in those areas compared to Penders and at least seems like he's trying to keep the SEGA concepts relevant. I think it's just the problem that, just because he's fan of the characters, doesn't mean he knows how to write them.

I thought his work for Sonic X was pretty good, but then again that was pretty much a villain protagonist slapstick with Eggman so it kinda appealed to his specialty.

I think Ian does a job well done.  He's a lot better at writing than Penders was.  I mean his dialogue of characters at times just felt strange and at times out of character.  Plus his stories are far more compelling and have less of a teenager drama/soap opera feel to them.

My problem is that, while he doesn't break a lot of conventions with the characters, he doesn't exactly bring them out well either. The dialogue isn't as character breaking but it is kinda generic and exposition reliant, you could switch speech bubbles between characters and it wouldn't make a difference a lot of the time. Similarly his stories are more conventional, but similarly in a kinda bland manner, just being generic action with few personality pivoted stories. The heroes are just reactors, they're attacked by a villain and stop it, and that's pretty much it.

The odd time Ian does try more experimental stuff, he actually tends to lean a bit into the same problems as Ken. His attempts to legitimately develop a character usually involve too much angst or give them a Compressed Vice, usually having them take insufferable levels in jerkass in the process (I don't buy any of his attempts to make Sally look 'flawed' because of this, it means little if it's not formed via her own personality), while his darker stories also tend to have a pretentious air to them. He comes off as a writer trying to be more dignified and serious than he really can, hence maybe why he was better with light hearted works like Sonic X.

Ian does some things better than Ken, he at least offers a lot more whimsy to his stories (Ken's were drab and serious to the point of being boring) and naturally adds a lot more mythos from the SEGA series, but I still don't think he's much of a character writer.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Since 254 is already out can we talk about the issue without any spoiler tags or no?

Since 254 is already out can we talk about the issue without any spoiler tags or no?

Doesn't matter to me, but I'm not sure what the time is when spoiler tags are not needed. It is hard to tell since people still don't always use them properly from what I see, like when talking about future issues, showing future covers all that, since still to me, not in hand, means spoilers. If it is already out though, I would think it is fine, since I've had it for over a week now.

Doesn't matter to me, but I'm not sure what the time is when spoiler tags are not needed. It is hard to tell since people still don't always use them properly from what I see, like when talking about future issues, showing future covers all that, since still to me, not in hand, means spoilers. If it is already out though, I would think it is fine, since I've had it for over a week now.

I kinda feel like waiting a month until the issue is essentially "old news" would be best with spoilers. It at least gives everyone a chance to read it without unintentionally spoiling the story (unless they don't care--in which case, never mind).

That said, I only just picked up my copy of #254 today, so I'll probably be back with thoughts on it later.

I'd say it's best to use spoiler tags for another week or so, as people like myself won't get the comic until sometime later.