Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Putting that aside, I can't grab that concept that Ken OWNS those characters. If anyone should own this, it's Archie itself. Period.

It's like if Naoto Oshima sued SEGA of America for "bastardizing" Sonic in HIS eyes.

Edit: And for those who don't know, afterwards he realized SoA made the RIGHT move.

I fully agree. I'm pretty sure Ken was working under Archie as a commissioned freelancer as well, during his run. So, not only do the characters not belong to him, but he isn't owed any sort of royalties for any of his stories that are reprinted in collections and whatnot.

I'm sure he knows this, too. He's just a greedy hack and wants attention.

I couldn' t care less about the echidnas clones. I'm going to miss Rob, though. I know, he wasn't original, but there was something in that character that I always liked.

I couldn' t care less about the echidnas clones. I'm going to miss Rob, though. I know, he wasn't original, but there was something in that character that I always liked.

I wasn't a huge fan of them either. But, then again, I wasn't a huge fan of the comics period, until Ian took over. Now, I love them.

I think if Ian had been given the time and freedom to do the stories the way he wanted, he could have easily developed the Echidnas into something more than just one-dimensional, melodramatic Knuckles recolors. He's been doing that with the comic as a whole, ever since he came on.

Hell, the first part of Endangered Species (which I think was mostly untouched, before Ian had to do the massive rewrites) was actually pretty entertaining and interesting. Remington was pretty relatable and I felt sorry for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, you know how I feel about the echidnas.

Can't say I care much for Rob either, but of course that's due to me getting into the comics only since Ian took over so Rob is one of those 'is he a Sonic recolour' questions to me.

Design-wise? Yeah Rob is quite literally a teal Sonic with a hoodie.

Personality wise though, he's nothing like Sonic.

I'm so tired of the unoriginality that the designs of the characters created under Penders have. More specifially, the characters that are the same species as the game characters.

Just because the character is a hedgehog or an echidna doesn't mean that they have to look identical to Sonic and Knuckles (save for a different colored muzzle and fur).

Take a look at Julie-Su (and this is truer about the older comics than the newer ones, mind you) - she looks like they just literally used Knuckles as a base, painted him pink, gave him a tuft of hair and a vest, and passed it off as a different character. Now, take a look at Shade (a character that's clearly based off of Julie-Su, or at least shares her archtype) - she's an echidna, but looks almost nothing like Knuckles.

Rob 'O is literally just Sonic, but colored teal and sporting a bow and arrow. While Amy, Shadow, and Silver all distinctly look different from Sonic.

I dunno. It's just always been something that's bugged the crap out of me.

Edited by Chaos Controller

To be honest, I don't think Rob had much in the way of an interesting personality anyway, because I can't even recall what it was supposed to be like...

To be honest, I don't think Rob had much in the way of an interesting personality anyway, because I can't even recall what it was supposed to be like...

All I know is that he talks in ye olde English. Edited by Soniman

Frankly, all I remember from him is that he's supposed to be Amy's cousin. Considering how he's visually depicted, it makes her crush on Sonic a wee bit creepy...

• Thumbs Up 2

All I know is that he talks in ye olde English.

That's about the size of it, yeah...

Frankly, all I remember from him is that he's supposed to be Amy's cousin. Considering how he's visually depicted, it makes her crush on Sonic a wee bit creepy...

Which brings me back to why him being designed to look nearly identical to Sonic is a problem.

Take a look at Julie-Su (and this is truer about the older comics than the newer ones, mind you) - she looks like they just literally used Knuckles as a base, painted him pink, gave him a tuft of hair and a vest, and passed it off as a different character. Now, take a look at Shade (a character that's clearly based off of Julie-Su, or at least shares her archtype) - she's an echidna, but looks almost nothing like Knuckles.

Let's not forget Tikal as well. Shade's design is great and distinct and so is Tikal's. They have gentler-looking design aspects that emphasize their femininity;

ofa49l.png

They have rounded eyes which make them look gentler, more docile than the sharply-cornered eyes of the males of their tribes. They also have no 'cheekiness' to their muzzles like the males have. Their colouration also makes use of the softer end of the red-orange colour scale which does not come off as 'rugged' like Knuckles' and the tribe's bold reds and Pachacamac's rugged brown.

Now compare to....this;

or4jsg.png

I'll give Archie credit though, Aurora's Echidna form design actually does look fairly good IMO;

Aurora.jpg7047612.png?280

• Thumbs Up 2

Right, so I see we're back to "good riddance" with the echidnas again...

Lien-Da was one of the few I actually cared about, and she's the only reason I'm ticked that they're gone.

Could not have said it better myself, Vertekins. smile.png

Right, so I see we're back to "good riddance" with the echidnas again...

Lien-Da was one of the few I actually cared about, and she's the only reason I'm ticked that they're gone.

Again, I don't feel that way at all. I was actually eager to see what Ian was going to do with them, since his work on the comic is one of the biggest examples of "taking lemons and making lemonade". But, the direction the comic will now take because of this huge shift in the comic's world will be very interesting as well.

I like the point on the face and muzzle shapes. One of the leaders of Albion prior to its destruction was a female Echidna named Gala-Na, who (at least under some artists) had unique face and eye shape. She was purple too.

I really don't see the complaint for Julie-Su though, her wardrobe is good enough to pass for me. The vest and boots are unique to her, as well as her hair color and original Dark Legion attachments. I really like her outfit.

180px-Julie-Su.png

Here's Julie-Su by Spaz from the '90s. I find nothing objectionable, in fact she's awesome here. Don't deny me.

Anyways yeah you could make the argument that same-species characters overlap with appearance. A lot of these characters are redeemable though, they deserve redesigns then. Too bad a lot of 'em are dead now.

Edited by American Ristar
  • Thumbs Up 4

180px-Julie-Su.png

Here's Julie-Su by Spaz from the '90s. I find nothing objectionable, in fact she's awesome here. Don't deny me.

...Her hip is severely broken, making that leg slide out of position.

Shouldn't those boots be at least grasping her leg so they don't fall right off or does she have outrageously large feet? Can she even run in those shoes?

That top makes me wonder where her boobs are. On one side it looks like she has a man boob.

The design looks kinda clunky I guess. is what I'm saying.

or does she have outrageously large feet?

Remember what franchise your dealing with here. You don't need to question the pencil leg width to feet size ratio.

I like the point on the face and muzzle shapes. One of the leaders of Albion prior to its destruction was a female Echidna named Gala-Na, who (at least under some artists) had unique face and eye shape. She was purple too.

I really don't see the complaint for Julie-Su though, her wardrobe is good enough to pass for me. The vest and boots are unique to her, as well as her hair color and original Dark Legion attachments. I really like her outfit.

180px-Julie-Su.png

Anyways yeah you could make the argument that same-species characters overlap with appearance. A lot of these characters are redeemable though, they deserve redesigns then. Too bad a lot of 'em are dead now.

Yeah, you're right. It really does vary from artist-to-artist. But, in her original appearance, in the Dark Legion saga, she looks extremely similar to Knuckles.

They have gotten a lot better, however. This is how she looks now: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121125055316/archiesonic/images/e/e1/Julie-Su_Profile.jpg

I like that. Its simple and its very sonicy, it fits her well.

Too bad shes been purged so we won't get to see more of her like that but instead remember her like the other image above...*shudders*...

• Thumbs Up 4

The way you guys are talking now, you're 100% certain that the echidnas are gone for good.

Personally im just assuming that they were all sent to the same place the Brotherhood of Guardians are and they'll probably stay there until all this mess is sorted out. Whether or not it will ever get resolved is up in the air at this point.

Personally im just assuming that they were all sent to the same place the Brotherhood of Guardians are and they'll probably stay there until all this mess is sorted out. Whether or not it will ever get resolved is up in the air at this point.

They're all in the Special Zone, entertaining Feist. Hehehe

They're all in the Special Zone, entertaining Feist. Hehehe

Yes, and then Feist will run out of emeralds to give. So he'll have to make more...

I'd be real bummed to see the echidnas go. Looks or not, some of those guys and gals had pretty cool personalities.

That's about the size of it, yeah...

Now hang on, Rob's got a real sense of duty, and does try to protect Amy on multiple occasions. I'd say he's a little more than just "ye olde English dude," eh?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, and then Feist will run out of emeralds to give. So he'll have to make more...

I'd be real bummed to see the echidnas go. Looks or not, some of those guys and gals had pretty cool personalities.

Now hang on, Rob's got a real sense of duty, and does try to protect Amy on multiple occasions. I'd say he's a little more than just "ye olde English dude," eh?

I suppose, I haven't really read any of the stories he's been featured in aside from that Hedgehog brawl between Sonic, Scourge, Metal Sonic, Shadow, and Rob, which was the last time he was physically seen in the comics I think.

The silliness of this page makes me laugh.

tumblr_mghf78BiPu1qdtw9eo1_500.png

tumblr_mghf78BiPu1qdtw9eo2_500.png

Seriously, Finny, don't EVER look at the reader like that again.

• Thumbs Up 8