Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Im pretty sure it's not what anyone was hoping it would be, not even poor Ian.

Penders... meh. Even over six years after he left, he's still screwing over this comic in one way or another. sad.png

I think the story is a coincidence rather than plagiarism.

Knuckles has been sensitive about his people for ages, what with large amounts of them being wiped out by Eggman plus Thrash had his people wiped out too so both are angry about that.

Also Thrash appeared years ago, in Sonic Universe, plus he's based off of the transition sprite between the Sonic and Knuckles sprites on the Sonic and Knuckles title screen so I don't think he was based off of anything but that.

And Team Fighters is there because Eggman's forces were attacking but since Eggman's forces were echidna's....

It's a detour but ever since Team Fighters has formed the plot has been taking detours, like to the Wolfpack Nation or Feral Forest. The problem is the story has to focus on Sonic when there's more interesting things going on where Sonic isn't. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What I don't like about Team Fighter's portion of the story is how dragged out it is, I mean it's l know Ian kind of hit a speed bump with this arc, but I'm pretty sure the reason Team Fighters formed was to rescue Sally, so it kind of annoys me how they haven't done anything remotely towards that goal. This is my main gripe with Ian's stories most of the time, they start off good enough, hell even great; The setup for Mecha Sally is by far one of his best works, but then it just....drops from there, filler after filler, and it's just draining. He starts off good, but then his arcs tend to decline. Not saying he's a terrible writer, I just think it's a flaw he has.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, fair enough; I don’t want to come across as being a bad sport or like I’m stating something without justifying it then just storming off, so I may as well just explain myself whilst trying to stay perfectly civil, here.

My reasoning behind ‘Sonic X is the non-game media that’s closest to the games’ is rooted back at the time it originally aired, I suppose. True, you can certainly argue that Sonic X bears very little resemblance to the current games, but when you look back to the two Sonic Adventure games (the two most recent at the time Sonic X began), the similarities are pretty vast in terms of setting, characterisation and visual style. If it weren’t for the few minor inconsistencies even at the time (most notably that in the game canon Sonic isn’t meant to come from another world at all and that the game adaptations were tweaked slightly to include the X cast, it wouldn’t be at all hard to believe (again, in my opinion) that the first 26 episodes of Sonic X are basically a prequel to Sonic Adventure.

Whilst the Archie comics do try to incorporate ideas from the games, they generally feel rather tacked on and altered rather heavily to match the very different universe.

Either way though, as you say, how accurate the comics and various other media are to the games is irrelevant to whether or not they’re any good, so I apologise if I blurred those lines at all. Certainly, ‘different’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘bad’. This is where opinion comes into it far more, though, and as I said, the matter of what each person thinks the Sonic franchise is/ should be and the tone and direction it should take. 

Personally, if I had given somebody the license to write a comic based on something I had created, I’d be pretty upset if they took large amounts of creative liberty with my work and made it into something which I didn’t feel it was. Similarly, if I were given the license to an existing work, I would want to try and stay as close to the source material as possible. I don’t think the Archie comic is bad per se (any more, anyway- when Penders was behind the wheel is a different kettle of fish entirely)- yes, I think it’s fallen into mediocrity in the last few months, maybe that’s because of Archie having to bend over backwards running to try and dodge all of Penders’ legal bullets, I don’t know- but I can and have enjoyed the comic for what it is at times. 

I don’t think Archie Sonic is a bad comic, but I personally feel it’s a fairly poor representation of the Sonic franchise, that’s all. Granted, I’m not Sega, so I’m not the Word of God on what is and isn’t an accurate representation of Sonic, by any means. I must admit it irks me a little when I see the odd long-time Archie fan lashing out at Sega’s ‘executive meddling’ and accusing it of ‘spoiling the comic’ when Sega have literally every right to do so.  Sonic is Sega’s creation, and if they want the comic to represent him in a certain way, that’s their decision to make. I’m not saying that’s a good or a bad thing; that comes down to opinion, again, but I have seen a few Archie fans take a ‘holier than thou’ attitude towards the comic regarding Sega’s interventions, which makes me sad. 

Whether Sega can write good stories for the Sonic games or not, whether the games are any good or not and whether or not the comic is better or worse off for them pulling their weight around a bit here and there are ultimately irrelevant; Sonic is Sega’s franchise and they can take it in whichever direction they want, whether we like it or not. That goes for every medium, games included.
Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 3

So I got 245. Much cleaner than 244. Much nicer. it also had what I wanted. Thrash being thrashed. I have no idea why this guy is so popular, all he did was moan about echidna's. Anyway, anyone else looking forward to Sonic's reaction to Shard? The last time he saw the guy he was in a battle to the death till he had a last second change of heart. Will he think it's an Eggman trap? Also will the Hydra possess Shard?

To finish off my post, Dr Finitevus will summarise Ken Penders run.

2557wbd.jpg

Edited by Sorceror Spudhead

If Shard is gonna get possessed by the Krudzu, it probably won't last long since he's already slated to tangle with a new Metal Sonic in SU #50. But yeah, his reunion with Sonic and Tails should be interesting and maybe even a little heartwarming.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

Out of curiosity, do we have any just how drastically the current arc in the comics has been cut or changed from what was originally planned?

I'm hearing a lot of people talk about it being altered due to this legal mess with Penders, but I'm actually quite curious as to if anyone knows how things were originally going to pan out.

In the first panel with the lack of Krudzu... isn't that Lien-Da's latest toy?

Could it have been that Sonic and Lien-Da would have had a massive fight rather than the Krudzu?

In the first panel with the lack of Krudzu... isn't that Lien-Da's latest toy?

Could it have been that Sonic and Lien-Da would have had a massive fight rather than the Krudzu?

Given that the original solicit mentioned that Thrash and the Devil Dogs would have been up against Lien-Da and her DEL forces, it's quite likely. 

If they aren't even mentioning the "ex-characters"' names, I can't help but wonder what the state of the fanmail sections will be like through all this? How much mail do you think they'll get saying "when will be favourite character return!" when they even asked about Cream the Rabbit like.. a decade ago and she only appeared in Archie canon recently? A bit weird to think about.

Or maybe it's just me, Ionno.

I really hope the next arc after this ties up the story nicely, after all of the dull story arcs of playing cat and mouse with Eggman, and then this arc being butchered, I just wish for a satisfying conclusion to all of this.

I thought it was the arc when they(finally) save Sally, ya know when Silver shows up?

Its a 1 issue deal before the crossover.

I wouldn't start placing bets for a concrete solution as far as Sally goes. It would probably be much more profitable to let her "plight" hang in limbo for the duration of the next few months - forcing readers to come back after the crossover to see what became of her.

Its a 1 issue deal before the crossover.

I wouldn't start placing bets for a concrete solution as far as Sally goes. It would probably be much more profitable to let her "plight" hang in limbo for the duration of the next few months - forcing readers to come back after the crossover to see what became of her.

I'm kinda expecting that as well. Because that worked so well with the Genesis arc.

Right?

I'm kinda expecting that as well. Because that worked so well with the Genesis arc.

Right?

Kept us rabid. tongue.png

it doesn't really matter if we are angry, excited or all of the above. The point is that the lingering suspicion and drama kept us on-board through a drastic plot intrusion.

That's comics for ya.

Kept us rabid. tongue.png

it doesn't really matter if we are angry, excited or all of the above. The point is that the lingering suspicion and drama kept us on-board through a drastic plot intrusion.

That's comics for ya.

Didn't mean to imply it was bad thing, mind you.

Genesis was good for what it was. It was basically fun filler/the comic's way of celebrating the 20th Anniversary (even though it did have significance once reality warped back).

Edited by DarkLightDragon

Here's one thing I'm confused about.

If Thrash is the last sentient Tazmanian Devil living, but Mobians can interbreed and have offspring that are the same species of their parents depending on the gender (as shown in Universe with Future Sally and Sonic), then why doesn't he...just...you know.

...Bow chika wow-wow?

Or have Sega nulled that 'for the sake of the children'?

Here's one thing I'm confused about.

If Thrash is the last sentient Tazmanian Devil living, but Mobians can interbreed and have offspring that are the same species of their parents depending on the gender (as shown in Universe with Future Sally and Sonic), then why doesn't he...just...you know.

...Bow chika wow-wow?

Or have Sega nulled that 'for the sake of the children'?

His problem is a genetic one. Thanks to the gene splicing, most of his offspring would be devil dogs, rather than Tazzy-Devils (check the encyclopedia for details) and those percentages are already halved by the fact that only his son's would follow in his footprints (his daughters species would follow their respective mothers) and then there's the hybrids too.

So, unless he plans on having a hoard of kids, he's really on the short end of the stick on birthing a successor. Then his son would face the same problem during the next generation.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Also taking his new girlfriend to meet his parents might be a bit.... awkward?

"Hey honey, these are my parents... Mom, Dad... this is my girfriend..."

"Snarl! Growl! Bite!"

D:

But wasn't there the thing where it seemed to be the males took after their dad and the females took after the mother anyway? So the daughters would be the other species anyway, right?

But wasn't there the thing where it seemed to be the males took after their dad and the females took after the mother anyway? So the daughters would be the other species anyway, right?

Considering that Rob O'Hedgie's son looks like his mother and Lara-su looked like her father, no...

Pardon my intrusion, but I have never read the comics, where would be a good place to start?

Edited by FCS Volfield