Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ya know, every time I come to this thread I feel like I'm a terrible person for not liking something everybody else likes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archie Sonic was not really a continuity of Sonic SatAM just for the fact that Mike Gallagher was writing the comic for the money at issue 0 due to him not doing his research he had Sonic acting like a Bugs Bunny rip off and Ken Penders said that Ben Hurst sucked as a writer and wrote his own way. Ken Penders was responsible for that garbage writing of 150 were he had Sonic rape anti Bunnie and had Rouge make out with Knuckles dad. Ian spent a year cleaning Ken Penders mess. The comic may have problems but it was mostly Ken Penders fault. Sonic and Sally act just like they did in SatAM under Ian.

Edited by UltDevilDoom

Ya know, every time I come to this thread I feel like I'm a terrible person for not liking something everybody else likes.

Aw, its not that bad around these parts. There is just quite the handful of us around here that call out things we see as bogus.

As long as your pitching sound criticisms, I don't think there is a competent member around here that would give you much of a hard time about it. ^^

Nothing wrong with not liking certain aspects of the series. There is just no need to bandwagon over past disgraces (cough*Penders*cough) or the like.

Got #240 yesterday.

Good god, I find it quite shocking that the cover still manages to have a mistake on it, even though it's copying official artwork. Amy has two eyelashes per eye, not three; stranger still is that on one eye she still has two, yet one of her eyes has three. It's bizarre, because Greg Horn is actually a very good artist, yet going by the pencil thumbnail for #239's cover, it was shit to the point he had to copy artwork.

I do understand that being able to draw well doesn't strictly mean he can draw Sonic characters well (and vice-versa), but that begs the question of why they even bothered to get him on board anyway.

In terms of the issue itself, it was pretty inoffensive, if unremarkable. As I've said these last few issues, it feels like they're just padding things out and stalling for/ wasting time whilst the meatier stuff happens over in Sonic Universe. It admittedly got a smirk out of me at the Tails Doll finally turning up again, and regarding Team Metal, they really did feel like fodder, almost ordinary badnik level in terms of how easily they were beaten.

I don't think the comic's bad at the moment per se, but after the roll it was on between pretty much 219-235, it does feel a little mediocre now. Things are at least coming to a head with Naugus etc.

Do what I did Mark. Buy the alternate cover. Sure it's Sonic 1 sprites with a Sonic 2 Tails sprite on Angel Island. At least it's inoffensive.

I thought the Alternate cover was the Sonic/ Tails Eggman sprites running on the logo? Was that a different issue, or has it changed? Got a pic?

I haven't found the Archie series that bad. Some of the game adaptations were really well done, and stayed true to the source material. There are characters I don't like, Sally is among them as is Julie-Su. I just find that the more the series progressed, they were really annoying and whinny. I did like the 25 years later saga, it was a nice touch to see what the potential future could be like.

I get the idea that most comic writers are writers who couldn't make it in other industries.

Yes and no. Joss Whedon wrote Buffy the Vampire Slayer, both the series and the comic book, and both were damn good. Brian Bendis could write novels if he wanted to and he is damned talented when it comes to Spider-man.

The problem that haunts comic books today or at least the major ones is the franchise becomes so old that it outlives it's creators thus new writers who were previously fans take up the book. This can be a good thing(as I noted with Bendis) if the new writer actually understands the character and acknowledges all character development prior to it. Or this could be a horrible fucking thing cue Quesada, Loeb, and all of DC except Grant Morrison and JMS and almost all of Marvel. The writing becomes akin to fanfiction because instead of telling the story, they take out things they did not like about the character that was set in stone(Peter Parker being an adult, Peter Parker growing up, Cassandra Cain as Batgirl, Talia Al-Ghul as a rapist for superior eugenics, and Barbara Gordon not being paralyzed). Instead of progressing the character they are actively at war with each other about their interpretations and biases of characters and how they should be portrayed thus actively regressing and progressing the story and character at the same time.

Prime example: Peter Parker aka Spider-man. You wonder why he never actually gets to leave school? Truth is, they don't have a damned clue what to do with him after it. Apparently being an adult is boring and being a loser is the only way that we can relate to Spider-man.

Does anybody know who is coming next for the character covers? I saw Amy pretty recently. I have all of the Shadow ones except #98. Just wondering if anyone knew.

Oh, and in case nobody knew this, the digital Sonic games app just added #148 and #149, a.k.a. the last two issues of the big Sonic and Shadow fight. And for what it's worth, Metal Sonic is there too. I have the hard copies, so no gain for me there.

Edited by UltDevilDoom

You know what makes Laugh is when some fans do exactly what Ian Flynn wants them to do. I explain about this in my latest entry on my YT channel.

The reason being, is because Ian has them where he wants them. I mean haven't any of you here noticed that.

I'll break it down for you. It was orginially a continuation of the Sonic tv series, which, as we all know, sadly ended in 1994.

Archie was never a continuation of the SatAM cartoon. On the contrary, Archie has always been its own universe and began its run at roughly the same time as SatAM (a little before because comics are quicker to produce). Both were based on the same initial production bible, but SatAM ultimately went off in its own direction with a more serious tone than the initial Archie comics. It was only later on that Archie adapted a tone closer to the cartoon, but even then, it was never set in the same universe.

There is a fan comic continuing the SatAM series, however, called Sea3on, but that is an entirely different story altogether.

/rolls off into the night

EDIT: Speaking of the comics, though, do you think it would be easier to just pick up where Ian started, or would reading from the beginning be better? 8|a

Edited by Mega

Yes and no. Joss Whedon wrote Buffy the Vampire Slayer, both the series and the comic book

The Buffy comics suck. They completely ruined Angel's character in the Season 8 comic.

I thought the Alternate cover was the Sonic/ Tails Eggman sprites running on the logo? Was that a different issue, or has it changed? Got a pic?

Here's a pic of both covers:

2ajpc8n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what makes Laugh is when some fans do exactly what Ian Flynn wants them to do. I explain about this in my latest entry on my YT channel.

The reason being, is because Ian has them where he wants them. I mean haven't any of you here noticed that.

Ian_flynn.jpg

Just according to Keikaku

(Translator's Note: Keikaku means plan)

Ok, for that joke to really work I'd have to add a red glow to his eyes but it's late.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yesterday I bought Vol 1 of the Sonic Saga Series.

Archie took the canon Sonic Riders tie-in story out but left the crappy Hedgehog Day story in.

Also on page 67 Tails still has his double mouth problem in issue 165.

I loved the Riders tie-in. It had some of Yardley's best work IMO.

The way he was able to mimic the anime style from the game and add his special facial expressions for each character was just perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since when did Geoffrey St. John obtain magic powers?! Hmm.......so does this mean...he killed Hershey?!

Edited by goku262002

Really cause all I see you do is make tons of posts about old fans who grew up watching Satam being upset about Sally getting roboticized.

You are clearly trying to promote a viewpoint and that's not standing in the middle.

• Thumbs Up 4

Going back to this issue of 240- I was really disappointed. I was quite excited to see the new freedom fighters in action however I wasn't sure that the writers could make up their minds as to whether they could handle an invasion from Eggman on their own. The secret freedom fighters did most of the work and whilst Big defeating Metal Amy (with the help of Silver) did make me smirk for a bit it was just too rushed for my liking. I would have thought the Metal series would put up more of a fight but being destroyed within one issue just makes them a gimmick and an easy villian to add in to stop using Sally all the time. I personally think Ian should just focus on Sonic, Tails and Amy for the time being.

As for Sonic Super Special 4- not fussed. The Mobius X year later series was never really good in my opinion and I avoided the whole universe Saga. Even when Ian brought in the new Darker X years later, the whole "other M" similiarities made it to Fan Made for my liking. But if it makes money then at least the comics can continue and hopefully avoid this.