Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Part of the reason I said, I am very well aware of the questionable writing decisions Archie has made, so you really don't have to tell me that.

But a crazy fan base will do nothing but add fuel to the fire and worsen people's perceptions of said medium even more, look at our very own mainstream Sonic series.

Edited by Soniman

Part of the reason I said, I am very well aware of the questionable writing decisions Archie has made, so you really don't have to tell me that.

But a crazy fan base will do nothing but add fuel to the fire and worsen people's perceptions of said medium even more, look at our very own mainstream Sonic series.

As far as I'm concerned, the games are gaining back a lot of their credibility which is astonishing because they did this all in one generation(no pun intended). Hell, Sonic Team has a better reputation than most Japanese developers these days(Crapcom, Squee need more people). Sega may be in a crisis and may not market their AAA ips well, but at least they aren't marketing horrible ips and then milking the fucking dead cow. If you wanted to see a fanbase in chaos, get in a time machine post- Sonic 06 and come to this board, and see depressing shit. It says something when a lot of our staff does not routinely care for Sonic games anymore and a lot of it has to do with that era. Stop being melodramatic.

Uhh I do? Okay then... :/

250px-Amazing_Spider-Man_545.jpg

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 1

A lot of fucks were given this day.

But not by me! Come on guys, let's talk about something relevant, so I can give something this thread truly deserves!

(A fuck.)

I gotta admit, for all the crap the Genesis arc might have been to some of you, I liked it better than the stuff coming out recently. The whole felidae thing is so boring to me; one thing I tend to associate Sonic with is colors, lots of it. And that seemed so lacking, because the area where the mini-arc took place is so bleh. Needs more palette.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok so I like to bring something up.

Other M.

So after everything I heard about this I finally got around to reading this fan comic, planted my ass for 3 hours and just went through all of it.

Gotta admit its a pretty well-written fan-comic compared to crap ones I've read before I can see why people relate it allot to Silver's Arc in SU some of its ideas were lifted from it. art is pretty wonky and can be just off at times but it was a community project so it had multiple artists with their own styles all clashing against each other, so it was understandable. I swore I thought I saw the likes of Matt Herms and Darkspeeds' art styles in this comic at times...

Ian did a good job of setting up another universe/zone just for this story alone and left Prime Zone alone for the most part. thats one of the main mistakes with fancomics, they like to set themselves in the game universe or Archie universe and it causes clashing with time-lines, it shouldn't matter since most of the time its just lawlfancomix but its a nice touch. would've been nice to know what part of the Archie comic's it did set itself before it started its own story though.

Story was pretty dark at times, but I'd figure its just another alt. universe with its own set of rules on dealing with its threats, same with its drama/love-story crap. I mean it wasn't that bad but there was times when I just thought "really? was that really needed?".

Overall, it was pretty decent compared to other fan-comics out there. just wished they properly ended instead of just cliffhanger bull like most projects. But I'm guessing it ended like that because Ian pulled a Taxman and shelved it because he took a job working with something officially Sonic related, right?

I am honestly trying to grasp just what the hell you are talking about and I am failing.

He's basically saying that Ian's old Other-M webcomic is pretty good.

^ Maybe cause of all the corpses?

Other M was odd from what I remember, wasn't Tails more like Miles (Anti Tails)? Still, there has been worse fanfics...

^ Maybe cause of all the corpses?

Very likely. To this day that wall is one of the most disturbing things I've seen from the comic.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

Of course, you guys do realize that the similarities to Other-M in the Silver arc were just the Freedom Fighter cameos, right? You're not seriously thinking Ian went back to Other-M for that arc, right?

That level of idiocy is only found on deviantART, right?

Of course, you guys do realize that the similarities to Other-M in the Silver arc were just the Freedom Fighter cameos, right? You're not seriously thinking Ian went back to Other-M for that arc, right?

*Looks at Penders work*

*Looks back at KKM*

...Eh, there's always the one that slips through.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am honestly trying to grasp just what the hell you are talking about and I am failing.

Other M was a webcomic written by Ian Flynn.

http://www.sonicverseteam.net/comics/archives_svt/bumbleking/

I was stating my opinion on it.

Yes god we know that! I was just saying the similarities between Other M and Silver's Arc are hard to deny.

I like how disdain for spotlight-stealing is automatically classed as "hate" for the character.

If anything, my beef is with the writing, not the character herself. My feelings for Sally are much like my feelings for Shadow in that I adore them but have frequently really disliked the way they've been written. Not her fault that she's Sueified and included in missions when she ain't needed and where she's a liability.

Sally isn't suiefied if you ask me, well not under Ian at least. The way Ian writes Sally. She doesn't still the spot light. Sally is useful at times and her plans don't always work. So it seems to me that she is a good character. Isn't a Mary sue a flawless character?

There is no doubt in my mind that the way Ken Penders, Karl Bollers, and Mike Gallagher wrote her, Sally sucked. The way Ian wrote her is just right. In fact, I didn't really like the way the past writers wrote Sonic.The whole Tails screaming, "I hate you." with he ugly art style was just too much for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sally isn't suiefied if you ask me, well not under Ian at least. The way Ian writes Sally. She doesn't still the spot light. Sally is useful at times and her plans don't always work. So it seems to me that she is a good character. Isn't a Mary sue a flawless character?

If I can explain this in the best way possible, a Mary Sue isn't necessarily a flawless character, and a character with no flaws isn't necessarily a mary sue. And it should be noted, she never said anything about Sally being a Mary Sue at all, but about how much screentime and focus Sally gets compared to the rest of the cast. It's definitely gotten better since Ian came on, but it's still largely there; not being on-panel for one or two pages doesn't immediately disqualify somebody from stealing the spotlight, if their role, actions, and personality have a much greater effect on the plot than other main cast members, then they're stealing the spotlight.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I can explain this in the best way possible, a Mary Sue isn't necessarily a flawless character, and a character with no flaws isn't necessarily a mary sue. And it should be noted, she never said anything about Sally being a Mary Sue at all, but about how much screentime and focus Sally gets compared to the rest of the cast. It's definitely gotten better since Ian came on, but it's still largely there; not being on-panel for one or two pages doesn't immediately disqualify somebody from stealing the spotlight, if their role, actions, and personality have a much greater effect on the plot than other main cast members, then they're stealing the spotlight.

Well in my honest opinion, she is like, let's say Gadget from Rescue Rangers, an established character that fans are used to seeing with the the main focus/character/characters of the show.